• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Best way to dispose of Raccoons?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Best way to dispose of Raccoons?

We have a family of 3 raccoons that are reaking havoc in our trash.

They have not gone down to the barn yet, but its only a matter of time. The tree they live in is a remote part of the pasture, but again, its only a matter of time before they meet up with the horses.

SO has said he could try to shoot them, but in the dark hes not a very good shot. We have one trap, but then theres the risk of getting scratched and such.

Would anti-freeze kill them as it does a dog? We have no other animals around and I could put a bowl up by the house trash cans, away from the horses.

I am a pretty good shot, if thats the only way to get rid of them.

B & B Sport Horses at Second Chance Farms

Member of the Paint Hunter Clique

http://community.webshots.com/user/ga_jumpr
    Dont put the cart before the horse, unless he knows how to push it of course. ~~ Pat Green
    Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
    Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
    Green Alligator "Captain"
  • Original Poster

We have a family of 3 raccoons that are reaking havoc in our trash.

They have not gone down to the barn yet, but its only a matter of time. The tree they live in is a remote part of the pasture, but again, its only a matter of time before they meet up with the horses.

SO has said he could try to shoot them, but in the dark hes not a very good shot. We have one trap, but then theres the risk of getting scratched and such.

Would anti-freeze kill them as it does a dog? We have no other animals around and I could put a bowl up by the house trash cans, away from the horses.

I am a pretty good shot, if thats the only way to get rid of them.

Dont put the cart before the horse, unless he knows how to push it of course. ~~ Pat Green

Comment

Antifreeze will definitely kill them. We had a racoon living in our attic and a bowl quickly dispatched him in one night. Another time we had 2 racoons climbing up a huge pine tree in our backyard (every night at 3AM) and eating or scaring the birds and their eggs and young. The noise was awful and scary. I finally had the guts to go outside with a flashlight to see what was causing that noise from hell. Sure enough I saw two fat racoons make their way slowly down and give me a look (if they could have given me the finger they would have) and creep away. So they got a bowl of antifreeze at the base of the tree and they were done with too. Those poor birds.

I hated doing it but racoons can carry rabies and one can never be too sure. Antifreeze is very appealing for animals to drink because it is sweet so be super careful around the horses and other animals (I know you will be) and hopefully no deer will drink it either.

Comment

Catch them in a Have-A-Heart trap, vaccinate them for rabies (if you can find a vet to do it, and no, it isn't customary, but it does make sense), and relocate them to some vast wilderness far from your home.

I'm the first to advocate shooting them if they exhibit any sign of disease, but the thought of just blowing them away because they're eating your trash grosses me out. Ditto on the antifreeze, which, incidentally, may appeal to your own pets.

(flame suit zipped)
        Kendra -- Runningwater Warmbloods
        Home of EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) and Donatella M (Furstenball/ Jazz Time)
        'Like' us on Facebook

Comment

We have raccoons in our neighborhood and I live in a suburban area. Our neighbors used to put their trash out the night before the garbage guys came but that was short-lived as the raccoons had a grand time with it. Maybe you can put your trash out the morning of pickup. Also Have-a-Heart traps work well. You can get them from animal control. They don't kill them and animal control will come get them once caught.

"Dogs have owners, cats have staff."
          "Sometimes you just have to shut up and color."

Comment

If your worried about getting stratched they have services who come set the humane traps and relocate them to a remote area . Much better choice I would think.
            NO HORSES TO SLAUGHTER CLIQUE
            http://www.cafepress.com/maneshirts

Comment

• Original Poster

My thing...they can carry EPM and this is horse country up here.

They do me no good and I dont really want to risk getting scratched transporting a trap somewhere.

I think they will get anti-freeze for dinner tonight. I love all animals, but when it comes to the saftey of my horses and myself...then I'll do what I have to do.

Comment

I would advocate using the live traps, and then killing them. Your putting antifreeze out in the open, exposes it to any passing animal, not just the coons. Those other animals will probably be attracted to the sweet smell, and also drink it. With the trap you can catch whatever, and then decide if it is what needs disposing of. We have coons come in the barn looking for catfood. We try to only put out what the cats will eat at a meal, but coons, possums, come to check dish anyway. Sometimes want a drink of water too.
                I would try calling local animal control to dispose of it first. If they won't, you have to do it yourself. Shooting or drowning is a quick way to dispose of the animal, without a chance of you getting hurt. Then dispose of the carcass. With possible disease carriers, you don't want to be burying them on your property, or throwing the carcass where other animals can feed on it. I bag ours in paper feed sack and put in the garbage, to have garbage man haul off.

PLEASE DO NOT!!!! relocate trapped animals!!! You are just causing someone else the same problem. We do not want your possible EPM possums and unfrightened wild raccoons to come to our house and tear things up, leaving their cooties around either!! You don't want them, why should we? Very few places have miles of forest without habitation. Most animals go right back where they started, often up to 50 miles! My friend was trying to be "kind" releasing them after trapping. I told her to mark them first. Hers, possums and coons, ALL came back from a 10 mile trip. She killed them the next time she caught them, they were slaughtering her flock of birds. You mess up the population of animals already in a place, by bringing in and releasing strange, possibly contaminated animals. They fight, spread their germs around as they travel.

Comment

wow, I have to say that putting out antifreeze to kill them is pretty inhumane. If you don't want to call the authorities to trap them humanely and relocate them (I am sure that there are non horse places that these beautiful animals can live)....then trap them and shoot them and qive them a quick death.

I think it's unconsionable to poison and animal-and you don't even know if these animals are ill or anything. I couldn't live with myself knowing I caused the drawn out painful death of poisoning an animal.

Elippses Users Clique........"I hate stall rest" and Grammar Nazi Cliques

"What the fuh?" Robby Johnson

Ellipses users clique ...
                  TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Comment

Not to mention that 1) dogs & cats are drawn to antifreeze like kids to candy, & 2) you are polluting the groundwater table. In fact, I don't know of ANY area where it isn't ILLEGAL to dump antifreeze on the ground.

My body is a temple - unfortunately, it's a "fixer-upper".

Comment

lilblackhorse,

You have obviously not had extensive experiences with raccoons. They are NOT beautiful animals. They are repulsive, destructive, disease carrying scavengers. They have chewed through wood, have pushed through layers of insullation, have eaten holes in plastic garbage cans

I have been fighting the good fight with them for 4 years now. I tried turning them in to the Humane Society (they just open the back door and release them). I tried releasing them (under 5 miles and the suckers beat me home. Over 5 miles, they became someone else's problem, until those "someone else"'s start trapping them and releasing them back in my area...)

So I have started killing them after catching them. Two summers ago, I had a man working for me who had a gun. He quickly dispatched them and then we buried them with a heavy layer of lime over them to discourage other animals from digging them up.

Last summer, without the benefit of the man with a gun, I drowned them in my pond. The first time, it really grossed me out. After that, I got a stronger stomach.

~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~
                      "When I die, I want to die like my grandfather-who died peacefully in his sleep. Not screaming like all the passengers in his car."
                      "He lives in a cocoon of solipsism"

Charles Krauthammer speaking about Trump

Comment

I fifth or sixth the anti-antifreeze sentiments on this thread. That is a cruel way for the little buggers to go. Humane traps are very easy to come by and then you can dispose of them correctly without endangering the other critters in your area.

Also, you mentioned they were "reaking havoc in our trash". So it sounds like your trash is not properly secured for raccoon country. You need to get raccoon-safe bins or else you're just going to lure a new family to you as soon as this one is gone. The only reason they are there is because you're putting out tasty morsels for them all the time!

The proper way to get rid of them - provided they are otherwise healthy and disease-free - is to take away the food source you're offering to them on a platter every night thus making them go back to the woods for food.

Comment

• Original Poster

Ok...this seems to be a two sided disucssion. I think we all can agree that they can be dangourouse to humans and animals. I dont think there is really a "humane" way of killing anything....you ARE killing it!
                          There are quite a bit of infected animals that do not exihbit signs of being sick. These 3 are proabably not ill in anyway...but I really dont want to take that chance. I am not sure they have made it down to the barn, but if they have/had it would be easy for them to infect the horses...they pick up the "left overs" left by the horses feed falling out of the buckets, they leave droppings behind, the horses they look for fallen feed and end up eating some of the droppings. Its too risky for me to even think about not getting rid of them. Plus they are making a HUGE mess.

There are 3 of them, I know this. I have access to one trap. So, I could set the trap and hope to catch one, then shoot and wait for the other two to come. Or I could set a bowl of anti-freeze out and let them drink. They all seem to come together, always. If you see one, the other two are close by.

I am not going to dump the anti-freeze on the ground, will they spill, it...they might. Could a dog or cat be attracted to it and get to it...maybe, but I doubt it. Unless these animals make it a piont to come 5 miles up the road to take a sip, then I doubt it.

I am looking for the easiest, quickest way to get rid of them. Whos to say if I catch one that the other two will not set him free? They are smart little devils! I do not want them on my land or near my horses and relocating them is not a good idea as goodhors said.

They might be cute but they are a pest and a potential threat. you put mouse poison out to kill mice...they eat it and dont die a nice quick death, it does take a little while. Either way they need to go, and I think killing them is my only option...unless someone here wants to take them.

Comment

A few years ago, the neighbors decided to poison my sisters kitten with antifreeze. Anyone who can purposely do that to an animal, is a sick, sick individual.

At least kill them humanely.

Comment

no , LH, I don't have the "extensive" experience that you do. Perhaps I would think otherwise if I did.

As far as poisoning mice? I use a trap and they die a quick death. I don't have a problem killing them I suppose if that is your only option, but I just think you could do it more humanely. Also, have you made every consideration to making sure that your garbage and such is secure...and not say, having pet food just sitting out? I would think from my experience dealing with them here, is that if there is no food for them, they will move on somewhere to where there IS food. Just some thoughts....

Elippses Users Clique........"I hate stall rest" and Grammar Nazi Cliques

"What the fuh?" Robby Johnson

Ellipses users clique ...
                              TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Comment

• Original Poster

They "live" in a tree stump in the pasture...have been there since they were babies. In the summer time they eat the birds, im guessing, as they stay out of the trash.
                                These buggers no how to take a lid off of a trash can...if they cant then they eat their way through. I have learned not to put any food in the trash cans outside....they still insist on going through the trash and checking to see. How much longer before they work their way down to the barn and into the feed room?
                                I had a Wendys cup in the bed of my truck...empty. They climbed into the truck, leaving nice foot prints and scratches...to tear apart the cup!

Believe me...if leaving them nothing to eat worked, they would be gone by now.
                                I asked for suggestions and I have got some good ones. Either way they will die, im sorry but trapping them and taking them up the road will not work.

It seems the majority thinks catching them then shooting them is the best. I could drown them but doesnt that seem just as slow and "inhumane" as anti-freeze?! We will set the trap up tonight and see how that goes.

Comment

I set the antifreeze near the base of that pine tree around midnight and waited. I knew they would come because they came every night terrorizing those poor birds. The noise of those poor birds was horrible and frightened everyone in the house. I saw them coming and saw them drink. My brother shot a bb gun at them to chase them away and I took the bowl back inside so there was no risk of contamination. I know the birds were grateful at least. One good thing I experienced, is that once you do the antifreeze thing, none of their buddies come back either. I used this technique in the barn against rats. Worked like a charm when nothing else did. Yes, I was extremely careful when I set it out. The little bowls were put in a place I knew where the rats ran around (behind walls, etc.) and not out in the open where the ducks, dogs, cats, deer or foxes and their kits would get to it. It was a pain because being the anal person I am "guarded" the bowls all night to ensure that nothing drank out of them, but all it took was one or two nights and wam, they were GONE!

Racoons are cute and I don't advocate killing for killing but when it comes to the safety of my horses, dogs and children - then yea, it's me or them.

Comment

Well, I can't speak from experience, but the antifreeze idea doesn't bother me.

I know, if we used antifreeze around here to get rid of 'coons, the deer and bunnies would get to it too. We don't always see them, but we know they're there.

I would also worry about it MAYBE spilling on the ground and other animals being attracted (who knows, weirder things have happened)...So be careful what you put it on!

I would catch them and shoot them, be careful if you bury them, could you burn them?

-Kelsey-
                                    And though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil.

Comment

• Original Poster

I was wondering about burning them too. I have no idea.
                                      I am sure we have no dear in this area, I have seen no signs of them in a long time. they used to come lick on the salt black and graze in the pasture, but I have not seen one, or droppings of them for years. I think all of the costruction drove them farther north.

We do have opossums, they are another mess...but they tend to not make it across the road very well.

Comment

Yea, the possums, raccoons, and groundhogs tend not to make it across the road out here- people hit them on purpose.

I live in the city so our "woods" by my house and our apple trees are about as good as the deer are going to get for food in the winter!

My parents don't mind the deer but they were eating our flowers and bird food...

-Kelsey-
                                        And though I walk through the valley of the shadow of death, I shall fear no evil.

Comment

Working...
                                        X