Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You're responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the Forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it--details of personal disputes may be better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts, though are not legally obligated to do so, regardless of content.

Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting. Moderators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts unless they have been alerted and have determined that a post, thread or user has violated the Forums' policies. Moderators do not regularly independently monitor the Forums for such violations.

Profanity, outright vulgarity, blatant personal insults or otherwise inappropriate statements will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

Users may provide their positive or negative experiences with or opinions of companies, products, individuals, etc.; however, accounts involving allegations of criminal behavior against named individuals or companies MUST be first-hand accounts and may NOT be made anonymously.

If a situation has been reported upon by a reputable news source or addressed by law enforcement or the legal system it is open for discussion, but if an individual wants to make their own claims of criminal behavior against a named party in the course of that discussion, they too must identify themselves by first and last name and the account must be first-person.

Criminal allegations that do not satisfy these requirements, when brought to our attention, may be removed pending satisfaction of these criteria, and we reserve the right to err on the side of caution when making these determinations.

Credible threats of suicide will be reported to the police along with identifying user information at our disposal, in addition to referring the user to suicide helpline resources such as 1-800-SUICIDE or 1-800-273-TALK.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it's understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users' profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses -- Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it's related to a horse for sale, regardless of who's selling it, it doesn't belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions -- Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services -- Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products -- While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements -- Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be "bumped" excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues -- Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators' discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the �alert� button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your �Ignore� list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you'd rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user's membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

You can't help but laugh

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by dalpal View Post
    It's called "THE SACRIFICAL SPOOK"...here, eat this instead.

Bwwwwahahahahahaha!!!!!!!!
    Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
    Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
    -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I guess I have no sense of humor. I found it horrible and sad.

Comment

I started out laughing, then I heard the way the kid was crying, and when I saw the dad kick the bird I was really bummed.

Granted, I probably would have tried to kick the bird too - BUT, my very much a beginner kid would not have been riding around on her own in a pasture with a loose whatever bird and donkey (was that a sheep or goat speaking up in the background?)!!

FWIW, my younger daughter was 'goosed' in the stomach by a goose at the farm where we were boarding when she was about 4. It really did scar her. She's about to turn 17 and she recently brought that episode up, as she often has over the yeas. I'm sure it would have looked hilarious on video, but she was really frightened, and she still has a fear of geese.
        Y'all ain't right!

Comment

The bird was more punted than kicked.
          Birds can take a boot...how many roosters and geese have been punted like footballs across a barn yard only to come back for more? And those birds are a hella lot smaller than that rhea was!
          I got jumped by a swan trying to help out another wildlifer. Kicking, punching, running, shrieking and rolling on the swan didn't do much other than piss it off more. Not ashamed to say I lost the fight, and not from lack of trying. And while the swan qas pretty big, it wasn't as big as that rhea.
          And yeah, it was funny afterwards.
          Kids normally bounce back well. If the parents make a huge deal of something, the children will too. Kind of like when a toddler takes a tumble and sits looking like this for a few seconds; if the parent says, "ooh sweetie, are you okay?" in a worried voice the toddler bursts into tears. If the parent says, "Woopsie" in a laughing voice and swoops them off the floor, they giggle.
          My girls had their fair share of frights concerning animals and all sorts of things. Plenty of crying and shrieking has happened in the past. They grew out of it without emotional scars. And laugh about them.
          Will this child be horrified of rheas as it grows up? I'd doubt it...the child lives with a rhea as a pet. Both child and rhea will get over it most likely.
          And if nobody believes the story this child will tell over and over...the child has video proof!

And I'm still laughing over the sacrifical spook...so very fitting for little evil ponies, LOL!
          You jump in the saddle,
          Hold onto the bridle!
          Jump in the line!
          ...Belefonte

Comment

I've always found geese to be among the scarier farm animals. They're as watchdoggy as dogs, but dumber, I thing.

One of my cousins, who lives in the rickety remnants of one those old Soviet collective farms, once told me when I visited: there are two things to be afraid of on a (collective) farms: the cows, because they are dumb; and tractors drivers, because they are drunk.

I know a real cattle person like Bluey may chime in, but one of my scarier experiences was driving through Belarus and getting stuck in the middle of a cattle drive crossing the road. Nothing happened, but I think I breathed once during the entire thing.

Comment

Originally posted by dizzywriter View Post
              I know a real cattle person like Bluey may chime in, but one of my scarier experiences was driving through Belarus and getting stuck in the middle of a cattle drive crossing the road. Nothing happened, but I think I breathed once during the entire thing.
              When I went to Spain, they herded the cows along the public roads (we were in the mountains). Apparently, cars are supposed to get out of the way, because as soon as one of the cows knocked the side mirror off the car, an old lady with a big stick literally started banging on our car and yelling at us.

I'm not ashamed to say, I felt a little like the boy crawling away as fast as he could. On the inside of course though. There was no sissy screaming until she went away. I was afraid she'd beat me...

Comment

my two cents...

this video probably made it to the net because all came out physically okay.

I thought the little tyke on the pony was cute as hell.

I think the rhea was just curious and following, even after tyke falls off. Hard to say what happened off camera.

I think the adult could have run a litttlllllllleeee bit faster for pete's sake!

And while the kid may or may not be mentally scarred, my parental heart still broke at the sound of the kid screaming and crying in fear. The kid was really scared!

as a parent, I would protect my child from the bird too. But I also wouldn't have let the child ride in the pen with the bird either. I am admittedly over protective and don't often let my son do the stupid things my parents let me do or did with me as a kid.
                ...don't sh** where you eat...

Comment

Originally posted by vacation1 View Post
                  Ever bemused by the necessity of explaining some things - I'm creeped out when people laugh at other people or animals in fear, pain and/or physical distress. Maybe with the audio turned off the video was a different experience, but if you had the sound on, the kid was screaming, sobs clearly audible, and that was not funny at all.

Finally, someone takes that line of reasoning to its obvious conclusion.
                  I agree with this post, this was not funny at all. The pain and fear of another living creature is not something to be taken so lightly. You may have thought the child's fears were unsubstantiated, but if you listened to the audio, you could not have failed to understand that the terror was all too real for this little child. For those who were more concerned about the bird than the child, your concern was very ill-placed. The bird was booted away from the child, but one could plainly see that there was not much force to the man's kicks and as soon as the bird started moving away, the man stopped. The bird experienced very little pain or fear compared to what that child went through. The bird actually appeared to be physically attacking the child just as they went off screen to the left. The poor child's terrified sobs could still be heard even after the bird was hightailing itself away. This was clearly a situation where the adult who should have been responsible, failed the child, and then failed again by putting this on the internet for others to laugh at the child's fear.
                  Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
                  Home of Fitz, Austria & Erin
                  Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Daeo, Max, Finn, Jake, Seamus & Pleasure

Comment

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
                    Yep, stupid and dangerous. Agree 100% on that.

However that child will have the *best* "how I fell off" story ever...probably for life. S/he'll win every single "Well I came off for the weirdest reason" contest.
                    Attack By Ostrich is a story winner.

Yes. This.
                    ~Rest in Peace Woody...1975-2008~

Comment

You beat up us cute widdle swans? You big meanie.

I can tell from these posts how many of us have experience with wildlife and livestock. I'm with those who think the kid is going to have one helluva great story to tell as she gets older.

Alls well that ends well.

Originally posted by MistyBlue View Post
                      I got jumped by a swan trying to help out another wildlifer. Kicking, punching, running, shrieking and rolling on the swan didn't do much other than piss it off more. Not ashamed to say I lost the fight, and not from lack of trying. And while the swan qas pretty big, it wasn't as big as that rhea.
                      Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                      Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                      -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

LOL...no JSwan...*I* got my arse kicked by a swan! I fought back, but it definitely won. No need to go to the judges for the decision...it was strutting away chuckling and I was crawling through mucky weeds i the opposite direction swearing.
                        You jump in the saddle,
                        Hold onto the bridle!
                        Jump in the line!
                        ...Belefonte

Comment

Originally posted by dalpal View Post
                          Good grief, some of you really need to learn how to lighten up. I guess nothing bad ever happened to some of you when you were growing up.....something that seemed so horrible at the time, now you laugh when you think back to it. I am glad that I don't take every thing I see/hear so damn serious/personal
                          Except minor disagreements online, I guess?

Comment

Originally posted by ADM7040 View Post
                            I agree with this post, this was not funny at all. The pain and fear of another living creature is not something to be taken so lightly. You may have thought the child's fears were unsubstantiated, but if you listened to the audio, you could not have failed to understand that the terror was all too real for this little child. For those who were more concerned about the bird than the child, your concern was very ill-placed. The bird was booted away from the child, but one could plainly see that there was not much force to the man's kicks and as soon as the bird started moving away, the man stopped. The bird experienced very little pain or fear compared to what that child went through. The bird actually appeared to be physically attacking the child just as they went off screen to the left. The poor child's terrified sobs could still be heard even after the bird was hightailing itself away. This was clearly a situation where the adult who should have been responsible, failed the child, and then failed again by putting this on the internet for others to laugh at the child's fear.
                            My goodness, talk about overdramatizing.

Comment

Originally posted by ADM7040 View Post
                              For the record: I have known children who will react like this to; splinters, the thought of a shot, the sight of a spider, a vegetable on their plate or a simple skinned knee. To hear the cries of any of said children one would think they were being murdered, the career of a drama llama starts early.

Comment

Originally posted by lcw579 View Post
                                For the record: I have known children who will react like this to; splinters, the thought of a shot, the sight of a spider, a vegetable on their plate or a simple skinned knee. To hear the cries of any of said children one would think they were being murdered, the career of a drama llama starts early.
                                By the actions of the adult in this video, I doubt that he is a hovering "helicopter" parent that over coddles his child thus encouraging a "drama llama" attitude. I agree that there are plenty of children that will scream bloody murder over every little thing, but this video did not show something so simple. First, the child fell off her (very cute) pony who very well may have commited the "sacrificial spook" spoken of earlier. Then the already scared (and possibly injured) child was chased and pecked at by a very large bird. Multiple posters have attested to the fact that these large birds can be aggressive and cause serious injuries to an adult, let alone a small, scared child.

Obviously, I am not going to change anyone's mind who finds humor in this, that is their nature and they are entitled to their opinion. I wanted to voice my agreement with the others who did not find humor in the child's pitiful cries and sobs in a situation that could have turned out very poorly. I assume the child is alright and that this is not an anouncement that the errant parents are posting to notify friends and family of an upcoming funeral service. Again, I feel the worst person in this scenario is the adult who put the child in this situation to begin with and then posted the video for others to laugh at the child.
                                Last edited by ADM7040; Apr. 27, 2010, 11:18 AM. Reason: spelling
                                Annabelle Mayr, Arcadia Farm
                                Home of Fitz, Austria & Erin
                                Now over the Rainbow Bridge: Daeo, Max, Finn, Jake, Seamus & Pleasure

Comment

oh sheesh...

Comment

RANDOM DONKEY IS RANDOM.

(Sorry, that was my honest-to-god reaction as the donkey just trots across there.)

And admittedly I don't have a parental bone in my body and the few times as a kid I WASN'T told to suck it up I probably should have been, but while I felt a little uneasy for the rhea (they aren't THAT big, and those long neck bones are sensitive) the kid was crawling and obviously fine. If he was THAT scared he should get up and walk. If he can't walk, what's he doing riding unattended?

For those unfamiliar with the birds, yes, that rhea was PISSED at the start. Though they aren't even as big and heavy as an emu, and are substantially less aggressive than an ostritch. I didn't really see the pony spook hugely, just the kid lose their balance and bounce off. Given I really wouldn't have a kid that small riding free I'm not surprised.

And if you're wondering, besides having worked at a zoo, the barn I boarded at for years had emus and rheas, among other exotics. And my horse was far less bothered by seeing them every day than the dik diks (teenytiny antelope) and red deer, but then he was always very weird about deer in general.
                                    Author Page
                                    Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                    Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Originally posted by Nin View Post
                                      I wonder if these things break down by who's a parent and who's not. Is it possible that the parents among us are more conscious of the child's fear and danger than the non-parents?
                                      Nope. I'm not a parent, by choice. I don't like any living thing, small or big, in fear, anguish or pain (kids, horses, adults, dogs, raccoons, you name it). You don't have to procreate to be empathetic.
                                      http://www.camstock.net/

Comment

Okay sorry but that was freakin hilarious!

And no I don't agree the kid will be traumatized by it -

In fact I think more kids are being traumatized by overprotective parents trying to wrap their kids in bubble wrap and thereby creating nervous wusses afraid of every bruise - (or possibility thereof) since they're not allowed to actually incur any bruises and live in the horror of such

I suffered quite a bit from the latter kind of parenting myself, and thank my stars I managed to shake it off and find the courage to live, in spite of my upbringing. My parents *still* try to bubble wrap my life from afar, and I've learned just not to tell them about falling off horses, the fact that I still run miles a week in spite of threats that my knees will fall apart, and practice martial arts which incurs (gasp) bruises.

To borrow from the movie "Auntie Mame" my code is "Live, LIVE, LIVE!!!" and I think the best parents share that attitude with their kids too.

Comment

I guess I'm going to hell, because I thought the video was hilarious.

Oh, and I'm one of those kids who was 'traumatized' by a big, bad bird when I was around 6 y/o. It was a goose. I was TOLD not to go near it, but I wanted to see the pretty birdie. I got stuck in the mud and goose poop around its pen, and it bit the crap out of me. That's what I got for not listening to the adults!

I'm not afraid of geese, but I sure won't challenge one in its own territory!
                                          Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Comment

Working...
                                          X