• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Doug Spink Arrested for animal cruelty...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Zigi and Cantour Update

I’m happy that people are interested in these horses because I can tell you, as the guy who works with them every day, they are amazing. I will try to make periodic updates here as long as interest holds and time permits.

First: both Zigi and Cantour have been gelded. We have done many late geldings and our vets’ procedure has consistently resulted in zero complications. Both horses are healing well, accepting their twice daily cold crotch shower and have already started to show small signs of their reduced testosterone load.

Gelding Zigi was a normal and very appropriate thing for a rescue to do. Gelding Cantour was, of course, controversial. The primary issue to me was that Cantour was the last surviving son of Cantus. That is not true. He is the youngest but there are many sons still standing stud both here and in Germany. One is just a couple of hundred miles south of here in Oregon. From a practical (read financial) perspective, Cantour’s breed-ability was severely limited because his stallion license with the AHHA had expired and he had never passed the performance tests. At 16 It might be remotely possible to reinstate him with much effort and money but to what end in this economy. Call that the business justification.

What really matters though is Cantour and Zigi and their lives going forward. These horses have lived through more than 3 unspeakable years with Spink. Whatever your thoughts on his lifestyle choices, I can tell you that his philosophy on horse care and handling has caused these two guys much suffering. Cantour’s mouth in particular was a wreck. His teeth were very dark (they did look black against his white coat). It must have been the constant bleeding from the many ulcers in his mouth. We are going to fix all of that.

Zigi is wonderful. He is young, playful, alert, sound, athletic and built like a tank. He is going to be easy to place and will have a great life from here on out.

Cantour is more complicated. To begin with he is breathtaking. At 16 years old and 16-3 he holds his head and neck like a much bigger horse. He is covered in bites, scratches, cuts and whip marks. Most of these are almost healed but a few will remain visible.

The good news is that Cantour has a kind eye. I have lots of experience with the stallion stink eye that says: “I could kill you if I wanted to”. That can take years after gelding to talk them out of. Cantour doesn’t have it. He is hyper watchful and can react in fear to overly aggressive handling but he responds well to the very firm, very kind, very vigilant school of stallion handling. Much of this is due to the skilled and caring folks at Whatcom Humane Society. I am confident in his future.

For more information and the many many blogs on this subject please go to the Hope For Horses Website
    Last edited by John Edwards; Aug. 8, 2010, 04:49 PM.

Comment

• Zigi and Cantour Update #2

Cantour Pictures
      Zigi Pictures

We have had both horses ridden (6 times each) by a rider with the experience and skill to evaluate their basic qualities. Both are not in shape and both do not appear to have been ridden for a long time. They each started rough but got demonstrably better with each outing (before and after gelding). We will post the results and his opinion of their qualities in the near future.

Hope For Horses is fully committed to the rehabilitation of both these guys. Some of that determination is normal rescue empathy. Most however is deep anger at what they have been through and the man that did this to them. We will not let that bastard win. We must show that it’s possible to rehabilitate horses that have been treated this way.

So we need help - Lots of it.

First we need money. The cost of upgrading paddocks, security, gravel, mats, ultimately a new and larger run in shed, fence improvements, vet bills and evaluation costs is more than we should have spent and more than we had. We are at that place where the more money we have, the better job we can do. Any donation, any size helps. If you click on this paragraph you will end up at PayPal. HFH will not see your credit information

Second, we need a foster home for Zigi. Someone with the skill, willingness and capability to ride him often and raise him up to his next level. He will be ready soon and we think its time to get started on his new life. We are not looking for an immediate adopter as we would like to know that we have done a more complete job of rehabilitation before we transfer ownership and responsibility. We would prefer somewhere in Pacific Northwest but will consider farther away as the potential benefit to Zigi increases.

Third, we need something similar for Cantour
      . In the Seattle area. We need someone, or some group of people who can work with him on a regular basis. We can haul in and possibly leave him for short periods but we need to maintain control and work with him on the ground here until we can be confident that he is safe and reliable. The problem with this is that the pool of riders capable and qualified to do this in the Seattle area is very small. Cantour is not crazy and he can be ridden safely but right now only by the most experienced of riders.

I and other Hope For Horses folks will be at the Evergreen Classic this Fri/Sat/Sun. We can be available at your convenience to talk about any of these issues. Please call us at 360.453.4040
      Last edited by John Edwards; Aug. 9, 2010, 02:49 PM.

Comment

• Nice to meet you on COTH, John, and thanks for posting.
        Proud member of People Who Hate to Kill Wildlife clique

Comment

• Excellent information John and FourQuarters. Thanks so much for the update!

Comment

• Update #2 on Ziggy and Cantour.

I've had a couple of very nice conversations with people concerning our decision to geld Cantour. I certainly understand the opportunity and convenience that his genetics could have offered to the breeding world. Especially the Canadian Sport Horse registry.

However the change in both Ziggy and Cantour is everything I had hoped. Both with people and with the mares and geldings that now can get within 30 feet without causing a complete aggression eruption.

So much has changed. Both women and men can come and go from the stalls without any pushiness. The constant straining to get at the other horses while being turned out is gone. The stallion poop piles are even better defined. We have begun retraining on ground manners and it's already having an effect. You can get their attention and keep it.

Last week I watched two of our long term volunteers standing in Cantours' stall, one brushing his tail another combing his mane. Like he was just a regular horse. Maybe now he is.

Ziggy especially is an extraordinary horse. He moves and prances and plays like the young and sound horse that he is. It turns out that he is the son of Zao-Wu-Ki (Westphalian) and the grandson of Zeus (Selle Francais) . We are still looking for info on his mother but now we get why he is so nice. I've spent a lot of time on the phone to Canada and any additional information would be appreciated.

I've started to look at Cantour as a 16 YO retired war horse. Now that he is manageable I'm starting to get to know him. I like him now where I used to just fear him.

Here is a Picasa web album where I sort pictures.

We still need financial help just to get even with current charges. Please go to the Hope For Horses web site to donate. We also could use serviceable farm hardware if you are changing out or getting out of the horse business all together. We need mats and corral panels to no end.

Comment

• Thanks John!!
              Sue
              The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
              H. Cate

Comment

• Wow

Thanks for the update. I'm SO glad to hear how well they're doing. It's more than apparent that gelding them was the right decision.
                And wow, the photos. Those are two BEAUTIFUL horses! Whoever ends up with them will be L.U.C.K.Y.

Sharon

Comment

• Capone is back.

and winning. See Chronicle article on line.

Comment

• Cloudy, saw the link on FB to the article in COTH about an hour ago.

Here's the link to the GOOD NEWS:

http://www.chronofhorse.com/article/...desert-circuit

The subject matter is simply so vile that I was reluctant to post a new thread ... but I'm glad COTH covered the win in CA. Good news is good news, after all.

I can only hope that Capone I's successful return to the show ring is a very very good thing for the horse, Kyle King, and the owner in moving past the awfulness.

I would think the conditioning and move back into a regular work schedule would go a long way toward providing appropriate rehab for any behavioral issues the horse MAY have.
                    Last edited by Flashy Gray VA; Feb. 18, 2011, 04:34 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by Lady Counselor View Post
                      Investigators found mice covered in vaseline on his property with strings tied around them...

(we seriously need a barfing icon here)
                      I think I just threw up a little...
                      Where oh where is the throw up icon...

Comment

• I cannot comment on anything but Capone as I got a demerit over a year ago from the mods because of my comment on you-know-who.
                        Gerbils, mice, etc. You'd be suprised what the emergency room doctors at Grady had to remove from guys.
                        Glad Capone is back, and winning, and none the worse for what happened to him. Foxtrot's lives near where Capone was in hiding in Canada.

ETA I did not know whether to start a new thread for Capone or not. Since we'd all end up talking about "the other" I decided just to add it here to the existing thread.

Comment

• Actually I think that the latest awesome news about Capone is a fitting way to finalize this thread. Something good has come from the worst depths of depravity!

Comment

• Originally posted by Flashy Gray VA View Post
                            Actually I think that the latest awesome news about Capone is a fitting way to finalize this thread. Something good has come from the worst depths of depravity!
                            I agree...

Comment

• I think it's great!! And I think it says something to those who thought he would be ruined by his 'time in the woods'....
                              Y'all ain't right!

Comment

• That's great news!!
                                The problem with political jokes is that they get elected.
                                H. Cate

Comment

• After almost a year of no progress, finally some wonderful news!!

http://www.facebook.com/ChandlerEdwa...ent_id=1390714

Comment

• I noticed that the articles linked are from 2010, so not current news.

Comment

• Forget the link, the news is that he has just been arrested on Animal Cruelty charges.

Comment

• um isnt he still in jail in Texas on the parol violation and related charges to the pandering ( providing animal sex services) charge?

Are these new charges apart from the old case.
                                        Last edited by hoopoe; Nov. 29, 2012, 09:25 AM. Reason: clarity
                                        _\\]
                                        -- * > hoopoe
                                        Procrastinate NOW
                                        Introverted Since 1957

Comment

• I just googled Dougie and he was.

Douglas B. Spink, booked by Whatcom County Sheriff's Office for failure to appear for three counts of animal cruelty.

Read more here: http://www.bellinghamherald.com/2012...#storylink=cpy
                                          "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Comment

Working...
                                          X