• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

horse abuse in KY

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• horse abuse in KY

This is horrid.
    Some people make me sick

PLEASE CROSS POST

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 8:18 PM
    To: Marjorie Banks
    Subject: FW: URGENT!!!! Shelbyville, KY horse needs help in Shelbyville

The pictures at the bottom are of a horse in Shelbyville Kentucky. The horse is a mare who has been
    savaged by a stallion. The owner of the horse will not get her any help. We paid for a vet to go out
    Sunday evening to do what they could for the horse. She said the horse needs to be brought to a clinic
    for treatment. We also offered to pay for medical treatment for the horse.
    He said NO, they only way we can vet the horse is to buy it.
    Animal Control is not involved, but this is Kentucky, so I am not sure how much they will do to this man.

This horse will die with out treatment.
    The mans name and phone number are on this post. Please do not contact him.
    We are afraid he will put the horse down.
    Please call County Judge Exc. for that county

Rob Rothenburger
    Shelby County Judge-Executive
    502-633-1220

and tell him to have the man arrested
    This is abuse and must not go with out punishment to this man
    We can get this horse help if enough of us call and voice our opinions.
    James Collins has worked all day to try and get this horse help.
    He has done all he can do, now it is up to us help save this horse.

Sharon K. Ross

Sent: Monday, March 29, 2010 9:28 AM
    To: kellydcat; Mary King
    Cc: Melisa Kossack; Bradley King; rusty.newton@shelbycountykentucky.com
    Subject: Re: URGENT!!!! Shelbyville, KY horse needs help in Shelbyville

To all,

Thank you so much for sending this information to us. We had been advised of this situation just last night. We are on our way out there to investigate.

Please be aware that there has been issues with the owner of this property and further conatact with this horse or on this land may result in unwanted conflict. Use caution if you wish to continue to visit this animal.

We thank you for taking such a deep interest in this horse and please be aware that we will do all we can to help her.

Thanks,

James Collins
    Free Agent Rescuer
    Shelby County No Kill Mission
    Shelter Liaison to the Shelby County Animal Shelter

This e-mail address is used to
    support the Shelby County Animal Shelter
    and it's mission to make Shelby County a no kill county.

You may always contact the shelter using the following information:

Shelby County Animal Shelter
    266 Kentucky St.
    Shelbyville, KY 40065
    Phone: 502-633-0009
    Fax: 502-647-9214
    E-mail: animal.adopt@shelbycountykentucky.com
    Websites: http://www.petfinder.com/shelters/KY139.html
    http://www.pets911.com/organizations/scas/
    Save a life. Spay/Neuter you pets or adopt a forever friend today!!

The Shelby County Animal Shelter and
    the Shelby County No Kill Mission are
    working together with local vets and other
    animal groups to make Shelby County a No Kill County.
    To learn how you can help the "NO KILL MISSION",
    click the link below:

www.shelbycountynokillmission.com
    www.shelbycountynokillmission.org

All donations are tax deductible. These funds
    directly and immediately benefit only the animals at
    the Shelby County Animal Shelter.

To: mking@usdf.org
    Cc: James Collins-2 jcshelbycounty@yahoo.com ; Melisa Kossack melisa.kossack@shelbycountykentucky.com ; Bradley King bradley.king@shelbycountykentucky.com
    Sent: Mon, March 29, 2010 9:07:10 AM
    Subject: Fw: URGENT!!!! Shelbyville, KY horse needs help in Shelbyville
    Hello Mary,

I am copying in James, Melisa & Bradley - the three ACO's at the Shelby County Animal Shelter. They can help you with this situation. Please feel free to call any of them at 502-633-0009.

Also, my hat is off to you for what you have done so far to help this poor horse!!!

Thanks, Kelly Catlett

These are some images of a horse in Shelby county that needs help from animal control there. I have a rescue that’s willing to take care of her vetting but this guy is not amenable it would seem, to letting anyone help without being forced. [edit] The renters living on the property called me last night and involved me, so this is what has transpired since... I paid a vet to go out and assess her last night and her initial assessment was that she needs to be in a clinic setting. We can provide that, willingly, but I would like animal control to take her so that we can take her legally and not have her go back to him. This is apparently not the first time this horse has been injured and not gotten vet care. Apparently somehow she fell through the ice on a pond this winter and best I could gather, animal control had to help save her from that. Can you advise PLEASE!!!! What the best route is for getting this poor horse the care she needs. If I have to buy her, I will, but I want proof that I have done that, and that he cannot take her back.
    My cell is 606-280-2728. She has a sponsor for vetting if we can get her out of this situation. This is a LOT of vetting so I am hoping we can save her.
    The Vet who saw her was Dr. Marie Sutter, and her number is 502-418-2408. I have already had her look at her last night, and treat her as best she could out of the back of her truck. All I need is word and she has a spot at my clinic. She also has a place on a farm to recover after her release from vet care.

Thanks,

Mary
    Last edited by admin; Mar. 30, 2010, 12:04 PM. Reason: to remove identifying information

What is your purpose in posting this?

This sounds like a squabble between the horse owner and the local animal control authorities.

Quite frankly, I think you need to go in and at the very least remove the name and phone number of the person who owns the horse, as there are probably some folks here who would love to pick up the phone and give the man a piece of their mind. And it very clearly states in one of the emails you copied that the animal control people do NOT want anyone to contact the owner for fear he will put the mare down.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Comment

Has he quoted a price for the mare or has any offer been made? Maybe we could all get together and just buy her. It's not fair or right except for the poor mare!~
      PennyG

Comment

Maybe the owner putting her down is the bes thing for her.

Comment

• Original Poster

I actually cut out a lot of the latter emails, email addresses and names as best as I could figure who isn't relevant. I see the moderator took out more, that's fine, just needed the ones that if anyone wants to get more info they can contact them. There are email addresses and phone numbers to ask the shelter what the deal is and also web site links.

None of my post are my words, I just copied part of the email and cut out as many people as I could without too much altering. This does not contain my opinion. There was a photo in the email but I can't post that.

Comment

is the owner threatening to put her down? as dispatcher said, that might be the best thing for the poor mare...
            Different Times Equestrian Ventures at Hidden Spring Ranch
            www.DifferentTimesEquestrianVentures.com

Comment

I have to agree with the others... what's wrong with the owner putting the horse down? Probably should have been done a while ago... can't save them all...

Comment

Euthanasia for this horse sounds better than what she's living with right now but this guy sounds like such a jerk it breaks my heart to think of what his method of putting her down would be. No living creature, human or otherwise should have to live like this.

Comment

I think that euthanasia for the owner sounds a whole lot better- and save the poor horses...this way he can't hurt another beautiful animal-what a creep
                  Equine Massage Therapy Classes and Rehab for Horses
                  http://www.midwestnha.wordpress.com[/INDENT]

Comment

A friend of mine is now the legal owner of the mare who was savaged by the stallion. She asked me to post the following because she could not get her login to work:

[FONT=&quot]Shelbyville Neglected Horses-Some are Safe[/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]Easter Miracle (her new name, I don't know her real name), the mare and 3 day old foal, and the pregnant mare are all bought, or will be this morning, and are or will be safe. [/FONT]
                    [FONT=&quot]The Mare, Easter Miracle, is in critical condition, but alert, eating and receiving vet care, pain management, and a lot of love and support from the clinic staff. She was purchased with a donation, as were the others, and saved by a very committed group of people, not the least of which was a vet who REALLY stuck her neck out to go treat Miracle, so we could work to prosecute the owner. We have now have a dual purpose here, and that’s to save her life, and aggressively, with support of several organizations, work towards changing the law that would have allowed this man to have these horses back, had we chosen to prosecute him. He would have been arrested, and charged with a class a misdemeanor, tried, and regardless of the outcome of that trial, would have been able to recover his “livestock”. He may have had to pay restitution, if a Judge so ordered it. But he could have gotten her back. She is 19. And she may not be able to survive these injuries, that remains to be seen. She is trying and we are working on giving her that chance. She was palped last night, and does not appear to be in foal. [/FONT]

[FONT=&quot]I find it reprehensible that the county’s hands were so effectively tied by a law designed to PROTECT the animals. It in fact protected this man, and actually he made quite a bit of money from it, and all the while he found it funny that we were willing to pay for the horse he would have left to suffer and die because of his neglect.[/FONT]
                    [FONT=&quot]I for one am GLAD he didn’t have the chance to euthanize her, she at least deserves a chance to have a little time not in foal, pain free, and munching grass somewhere besides there.[/FONT]
                    [FONT=&quot]More to come, I can assure you…[/FONT]

There are pictures of the mare if anyone wants to see them. They are pretty awful-- I have not seen anything quite like it before.

Comment

The mare who has the foal is the injured mare?

I'm getting mixed up since the post says the mare & foal AND a pregnant mare were bought. Then went on to say the mare isn't in foal...!

At any rate, glad to hear the injured mare is getting treatment. Hope she can recover.

Comment

Originally posted by Dispatcher View Post
                        The mare who has the foal is the injured mare?

I'm getting mixed up since the post says the mare & foal AND a pregnant mare were bought. Then went on to say the mare isn't in foal...!

At any rate, glad to hear the injured mare is getting treatment. Hope she can recover.
                        I think this is the same case, in which case, there are actually three mares involved so far.

The badly injured mare (with no foal) is at a vet clinic. There is a second mare w/3-day old foal who was bought and gotten out of there yesterday. She is safe now. Here is a link to a webcam on the stall where the mare and foal are now resting and relaxing:
                        http://www.mycampage.com/newbeginningsanimalrefugecam

There is also a 3rd mare who is said to be in foal that the person who now has the mare and foal is going to buy and get out of there today.

Here's the thread on ABR where I've been reading about this:
                        http://forums.delphiforums.com/alexb...es?msg=46952.1
                        Last edited by Liberty; Apr. 1, 2010, 12:05 PM. Reason: To add webcam link
                        Equus Keepus Brokus

Comment

Sorry guys, I should have read and edited that a little for clarity!

Liberty is right, there are three mares involved. My friend told me that the third mare is being picked up this morning, so hopefully she is on her way to a better life as I type this.

Comment

Hoping that 1000 fire ants climb up his pants legs--

Comment

these cases are all three from the same farm. There is the original mare, that is severely injured, and another mare with a 3 day old foal (webcam) and the third mare who was due to foal any time. The stallion started on the mare and foal, after the first injured mare was removed from the pasture. And the only way we have been able to save any of them is to pay this piece of work that owns them.
                              so thats what we did.
                              Updates as we get them. Thats all I know for now.

Comment

May God bless you all who got them away from this piece of cr@p! He has no business owning any kind of animal...who would do that, and enjoy it? he sincerely has some issues and needs to be put in a mental institution

Comment

What's happening with the stallion? Is he being removed from this guy's ownership? gelded? something??

Comment

That poor mare! The photos are just horrifying.

Is there any way of finding out the name of the clinic where she is being treated? Would it be possible to donate some money to help pay for her care?
                                    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Comment

Is there no "must provide vet care" law in KY?

Comment

in Ky horses are livestock.
                                        the mare is being treated at
                                        Park Equine Hospital
                                        (859) 744-4030
                                        116 Hud Rd
                                        Winchester, KY 40391
                                        I am sure her bills if she survives are going to be stupendous!

Comment

Working...
                                        X