• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Which is more mild, jointed or solid kimberwick bit??

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Which is more mild, jointed or solid kimberwick bit??

Upon advice from a few riding buddies I got a kimberwick to try. I bought a solid bar rather than a jointed one, but my one friend said the solid bar kimberwick is actually more severe than a jointed one. Is this true? I hate to ask this if it's already been asked but when I did a search a mulitude of threads came up & it'd take me forever to sort thru them for the answer I'm seeking. Thank you for your time, Lisa

First off, be prepared for a train wreck- most people around here don't like them and would rather see a horse in a snaffle or a pelham.

That said, Right now my mare's bit of choice is a low port kimberwicke. She prefers this bit and goes very well in it- She is not a big fan of single jointed bits or pelhams. I am using it for the time being until I can find another 'more traditional' bit that she likes- but if she is happy then I am happy. FWIW my mare is an all around horse, and being trained as such goes with very light contact.

Comment

I think a low port kimberwick is milder than a jointed one.
      My mare goes beautifully in a low port and hates any broken bit. Even the french link causes her to fume and fuss.
      You really do not get much leverage at all with a low port kimberwick.

In my younger days all the horses HAD to go in a snaffle. Didn't matter if they hated it that's what they had to have until they were ready to go into a double bridle. I'm so glad I'm past that now.
      You know why cowboys don't like Appaloosas?" - Answer: Because to train a horse, you have to be smarter than it is.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the heads up on the train wreck, eww I hope not. I bought a low port kimberwick, my mare nearly pulls my arms from their sockets when she's feeling good & strong & it makes it very hard to rate her speed. I normally ride her in a aluminum short shank hackamore which she goes very well in until... we start doing her big ol road trot down the trail or canter then she just leans into the bridle. Right now I'm just trying to find what makes her happy & has the best results. Thank you for your help.

Comment

I will never ever EVER use a jointed kimberwick. It is lousy design. If your horse needs more control than a simple joint snaffle can provide, and you don't know how to use a pelham correctly (by the way, a pelham is never jointed either. A pelham has solid mouth piece), and have to use a kimberwick, use a solid mouth piece like you have.

Comment

Never say never, LOL

http://www.thefind.com/sports/info-jointed-pelham-bit
            Icelandics - Tolt-ally wonderful!

Comment

Not sure if your bit sides have the slots, or are just D's. They both can be referred to as Kimberwicks. If you get picky, the slotted D side is called an Uxeter, and is the more useful choice. You can put the rein in the slot, and get some (not much) true curb chain pressure! With the smooth D sides, the rein just slides up and down, giving you a straight pull, no actual curb chain movement or action.

I do think you got the better bit with a solid mouthpiece, not the broken mouthed one. Bit bar stays balanced in horse mouth better, does not fold to poke the upper palate or pinch the lower jaw when the reins are pulled.

I am not a big fan of broken mouthed bits, consider ring side, smooth mouth, thick snaffles a step in training to the responsive, finished horse wearing curb bits lightly. And I do NOT consider any of the fancy, nasty or modified mouthpiece bits, with ring sides to be kindly, even if they do fall in the "snaffle" catagory.

You need to maintain control with your horse, in all situations, at any speed.
              With your description of her pulling your arms out, it sounds like you BOTH need to go back and PRACTICE give and take, reward and her gently taking the bit, staying LIGHT in your hands. A horse can only PULL, if you HOLD onto them! They will LET YOU hold them up all day, less work for them. Getting her responsive, may take some work, NEVER letting her win by hanging on her face.

Mouths are made and TRAINED, with reward and consistant light hands on the reins. It is possible to reeducate a puller in exciting situations! If you like her going full out, big trot, cantering on trails, open spaces, I would probably go to a Western style mechanical hackamore. No pressure on her mouth, very different than her bitted bridle. Longer shanks will give you more control because of leverage, so you don't have to hang on the reins all the time, making her unresponsive. She would learn that faster gaits are allowed, not punished when this bridle is on her, you still have control and can relax. Then use the bitted bridle for your ring work, schooling, where she needs to be quite responsive to ALL the aids.

My daughter uses a mechanical hackamore with maybe 6" shanks, rubber covered noseband with sheepskin over it, no mouthpiece, for gaming the horse. He LOVES that bridle, gets quite UP, because he knows things will be moving faster, some speed to look forward to, even if it is only big trotting his patterns. She can pull hard and not hurt him, not hang on him for speed control needed in games. They are happy partners. Same horse goes in the Uxeter Kimberwick with a low port for Equitation, Pleasure, pattern riding, over fences classes in a very controlled manner, LIGHT on the bit and her hands. She is NOT allowed to be hanging on his face. Give and take, just him holding the mouth, feeling how much she will give him to control things. Lift the reins and he shortens, give him rein, squeeze knees and he moves out, looking for the bit contact. All in being consistant, when you ride and train. Works riding English or Western, trained is trained.

Comment

Originally posted by Thokki View Post
                Ahh yes. The English model of the western Tom Thumb "training" bit. You can ride and train a horse to do anything with this bit!! Everything old is new again.

We rode with Pelhams, but they had solid mouthpieces. Horses mostly went on the snaffle reins, but could get strong riding with others. So if you NEEDED the curb pressure, you had it in your hand, ignored the rest of the time. I always found them a useful bit for many horses.

Quite unlike the ring sided bits with the horrendous edged mouthpieces, tiny diameter, or other nasty surprises lurking behind the horse lips. Used to maintian a semblance of control for rider, while pretending to be a kindly style snaffle. "Because everyone KNOWS that snaffle bits are GENTLE!" Folks trying to appear as if their horse "goes in a snaffle" because of current bit fashion.

Comment

Then there are the ones who use the lower rings or slots on Kimberwick or Elevator with one set of reins. Do they not know there is NO release from pressure? Seen it in eventing, don't get it. And if you're using one set only in the large ring...why not just use a snaffle?

Read somewhere that a rider was in a George Morris clinic with an elevator bit and only one set of reins. He told her to get off of her horse and leave the arena. Or so I read. Sounds good, at least.

We actually prefer a Baucher bit for a little more oompf, but one of our horses hates it. So, use what works for your horse, but know why you are using it, and how to use it.

Comment

Originally posted by LauraKY View Post
                    Then there are the ones who use the lower rings or slots on Kimberwick or Elevator with one set of reins. Do they not know there is NO release from pressure? Seen it in eventing, don't get it. And if you're using one set only in the large ring...why not just use a snaffle?

Read somewhere that a rider was in a George Morris clinic with an elevator bit and only one set of reins. He told her to get off of her horse and leave the arena. Or so I read. Sounds good, at least.

We actually prefer a Baucher bit for a little more oompf, but one of our horses hates it. So, use what works for your horse, but know why you are using it, and how to use it.
                    I don't know about Eventing, but for the "western horse gone english" types, riding in a kimberwicke or even a pelham (gasp!) with one rein on the bottom is no big deal, as the horse is ridden off a loose rein. I know that's not the intended use of a pelham, but I've seen it done.

As for actual, true english horses that are expected to go along with direct contact.. yeah, a kimberwicke isn't the best choice. But if you cue then release, and don't have a direct contact with your reins, I've got no problem with it.
                    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

Originally posted by Thokki View Post
                      Yeah I know some people call those things pelham. Just like some people claim anything with broken mouth piece to be snaffle. Duh.. Doesn't make them right though.

Comment

Originally posted by sublimequine View Post
                        I don't know about Eventing, but for the "western horse gone english" types, riding in a kimberwicke or even a pelham (gasp!) with one rein on the bottom is no big deal, as the horse is ridden off a loose rein. I know that's not the intended use of a pelham, but I've seen it done.

As for actual, true english horses that are expected to go along with direct contact.. yeah, a kimberwicke isn't the best choice. But if you cue then release, and don't have a direct contact with your reins, I've got no problem with it.
                        Ah, but I'm not talking about a loose rein...constant contact.

Comment

Originally posted by mysaygrace View Post
                          Upon advice from a few riding buddies I got a kimberwick to try. I bought a solid bar rather than a jointed one, but my one friend said the solid bar kimberwick is actually more severe than a jointed one. Is this true? I hate to ask this if it's already been asked but when I did a search a mulitude of threads came up & it'd take me forever to sort thru them for the answer I'm seeking. Thank you for your time, Lisa
                          The mildest bit is the one in the softest hand.

I think you're asking the wrong question. The right question is "what do I want to do with the horse?" Then, based upon that answer, pick a bit that helps you get there.

Just for fun (and maybe not fun for you) have someone video you riding in one or more different bits. Then review the video and see that's working and what's not. But be prepared to look at yourself and go "Eeeeuuuu!!!!" if your riding ability is not up to par. Then fix that before you mess with any more bit changes.

Good luck in your quest.

G.
                          Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

Originally posted by Gloria View Post
                            Yeah I know some people call those things pelham. Just like some people claim anything with broken mouth piece to be snaffle. Duh.. Doesn't make them right though.
                            What do you call those bits then?

Comment

Originally posted by trubandloki View Post
                              What do you call those bits then?

I call them "nasty." You take a contact, you get the snaffle nutcracker (single joint) combined with curb chain and poll pressure. Nice. Sure, if you have good hands you can ride a horse in anything, but if you (generic you, nothing personal) pick this bit, one does start to wonder about the rider and the horse's training/problems, whatever.

My first event horse got a little strong x-c. I rode him in a TRUE Tom Thumb pelham - extremely short shank, SOLID rubber mouthpiece, not the aberration that western people, particularly, seem to call a Tom Thumb. Once, after a little schooling, he and I got on the same page, I rode x-c on him in a plain snaffle.

Comment

My old App was almost impossible to control when I put him in a regular (was thinner) snaffle. So I got a solid Kimberwicke (no slots) and he was happy as a clam and controlled (er, most of the time, he was a lot of horse in a medium sized package!) Eventually I was able to transition him to a thick egg butt snaffle (think it is called) and that was OK for working but for showing he'd be too strong so back to the kimberwicke.

I used a full cheek snaffle on my current old horse and she never did like it much. I was going to try her in the kimberwicke when she went forever lame and it was a moot point. I'm going to try the youngster in the egg butt and see how she goes first.
                                Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

Working...
                                X