• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Friend thinks someone else is riding their horse.... what to do?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Friend thinks someone else is riding their horse.... what to do?

Title pretty much explains it all... but here goes.

Friend called me the other day in a very bad mood, asking how to deal with this situation. Friend's horse is a nice mare, although can have her days where she will throw in a buck, or have a hyper day. She is not a finished horse. Friend is working very closely with a trainer for these issues.

Anyways, friend did not ride horse for about 4 days, and comes out so see her pasture boarded (normally gets gross in the pasture) horse perfectly clean (tail, mane everything, almost perfect). Then finds a grimy girth mark, and bridle mark... I can't say it wasn't left over from 4 days ago, but friend typically grooms horse... especially the saddle area.... perfectly. And friend says she did clean it perfectly, going as far as towel drying the girth area.

So there began the suspicions. BO typically puts off an attitude of mare needing a good come to jesus type ride so the mare can get over her occasional retartedness, and has even offered to take the mare into training. Friend declined for reasons I won't get into. Friend is also already working with a trainer.

So what can friend do to put her mind at ease? She is relatively new to the barn, so didn't want to come at the BO without solid evidence. The BO is a bit touchy and friend is scared the BO would be really upset, maybe to the point of telling friend to leave.

But the horse is acting different too. More distressed sometimes despite acting normal following the move, for some time.

Friend already plans to show up at differing times, but there are times for certain she can not be there (at all, no way around it), and the BO knows this.

I remember a thread a while back about someone thinking other people were using their tack, and it had some really creative ideas... She plans on having someone appear on a time where she can't be there, but it's hard to catch this behavior as I believe it's probably happening on a late night for the BO (maybe going for a drunken ride?). And they probably wouldn't use her tack, as they have their own and ride a different discipline.

They also have a lesson program, and friend is scared if the BO used the horse in a lesson a kid might get hurt.

Of course, friend is jumping the gun, so she really just wants to find solid evidence, or at least get a good idea of whether her suspicions might be right or not.
    Cupid - 2001 to 2006 I miss you everyday!
    Consent - 4/16/86 to 7/7/07 You were the love of my life!

That's tough, because as you said it's going to be really difficult to catch someone in the act. My only suggestion would be to always make sure the horse is groomed absolutely 100% perfectly, and then if she comes back to find any sweat marks from tack she'll know something fishy is going on.

Honestly, though, I don't think I'd continue to board at a place where I could not trust the BO not to do something as simple as ride my horse without my permission. Of course, I don't board my horses anymore so take that with a grain of salt.
    exploring the relationship between horse and human

Comment

I would make darned sure that barn owner, manager, workers, and other potentially affected ones know ALLLLLL about the legalities of stealing someone's horse, however temporarily. When they don't "get" it, remind them of how illegal it is to take someone's CAR.

ETA: Moving horse is the sure answer, and I'd do it IMMEDIATELY. Having your horse ruined kinda negates the reason for HAVING one, doesn't it?
      Last edited by nightsong; Mar. 23, 2010, 01:45 PM.

Comment

Yes it sounds to me like your friend has it pegged right.
        She knows her horse. She grooms her horse. She knows what she suspects is right.
        Proving it may be hard to do.
        If it is possible I'd suggest she moves her horse.
        Even if she has an eyewitness, how is she going to stop it? Even if she tells the Barn Owner, will that person stop riding the horse?
        How to stop it? By moving.
        Barn owner sounds like a twit.
        I'd suggest she start looking for another place to board. Right away.
        JMHO

Comment

Sounds convincing to me. I've ridden at lesson barns where boarded horses are treated as community property, and boarders are treated with contempt. If your friend doesn't want other people riding her horse, she should leave ASAP. This isn't even worth the conversation with the BO, in my opinion. The only reason the BO should care about the horse having a come-to-jesus ride is because she wants to be able to use the horse in her lesson program.

Comment

Timely thread. Had just this situation with a friend of mine, about six months ago. My advice to her then(and to your friend, now) was to schedule a talk with the BO immediately. During that talk, a letter and a copy of same, should be produced that states that no one save the horse's owner has permission to handle or ride the horse, except where necessary from barn staff, without express written permission from the owner - no exceptions The letter should also state that owner will hold BO liable, should anyone violate this agreement. Have spaces for two signatures; BO's and owner's. Leave BO a signed copy.

Also, put a sign on the horse's stall door that is a shorter version of the letter. Laminate it, and staple/tape it to the stall front. That way, no one has the "Oh, I didn't know it was wrong!" excuse.

If BO is riding the horse, this should put an end to it. If anyone else has the temerity to ride the horse, BO will put a stop to it if they think it'll be their @$$ in a sling if something untoward happens with the horse while it's being used without authorization.

Good luck. My friend resolved her situation by just talking to the BO after it happened, and putting a sign on the door. Here's hoping your friend is as successful.
            In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
            A life lived by example, done too soon.
            www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

ummm- Nanny cam?
              Appy Trails,
              Kathy, Cadet & CCS Silinde
              member VADANoVA www.vadanova.org

Comment

wow... do we have the same friend?!

a VERY similar thing happened to a good friend of mine. she was boarding with a friend (at the time) at her backyard barn, just my friend's horse and the horse that belonged to the BO. she comes out to see the horse one day and finds him with a girth mark, her stirrup keeper on the saddle is broken, saddle is horribly dirty, her girth is wet and sandy, etc. it's very clear that someone has ridden the horse, and things didn't go well. she approaches the BO about it, BO denies it. my friend is still suspicious.

we found out later through a mutual friend that the BO had (foolishly) told about the incident that she had invited a friend over to trail ride. BO rode her own horse, and gave her friend my friend's horse to ride. without ANY permission at all, which is totally unacceptable to begin with. but then as they were riding along the road my friend's horse spooked, slipped and fell, dumped the girl and ran off. BO was apparently not planning on telling her any of this.

my friend was LIVID and moved the horse out of that barn ASAP, and cut off all ties with the BO. i think your friend should do the same. it's unprofessional, dangerous, and just plain unacceptable behaviour.
                Proud member of the "I'm In My 20's and Hope to Be a Good Rider Someday" clique

PONY'TUDE

Comment

Stories like this make me worried about boarding. When I go see places this weekend you can bet one of the things I am going to ask if how my stuff (tack and horse) being used by others will be handled by the BO/BM.

Comment

I've heard about this happening quite a few times. Once with a BNT, horse was being used for a lesson, others in backyard situations. I'd be out of there in a heartbeat! I'm going to bet it happens a lot more often than one would think.

Comment

I don't know where the heck some of you board but none of the barns I've ever been affiliated with (from NYS down to VA) have ever had the time or desire to ride anyone elses horse if they aren't being paid to do so. Especially not a horse that needs a come to Jesus meeting. Who wants to ride that without getting paid? It does make me laugh at how many people "think" other people at the barn are riding their horses. Trust me, they don't want to ride your horse. There are too many other horses that need to be ridden to do that.
                      M

Comment

I wouldn't be too snarky there, CHS. A local boarding barn opened here several years ago and the BOs really didn't seem to understand that horses were individual PRIVATE property. He let anyone grab anyone's horse and use it anytime. A friend of mine boarded there before everyone was aware of what was going on. She showed up at the barn one day to find someone else tacking up her horse. Her horse wore a new halter with a nameplate. The name on the nameplate was not her horse's name. A similar nameplate was also found on her horse's stall door. This person who was riding her horse when she was not around had RENAMED her horse and didn't see anything wrong with it. Needless to say the situation ended then and there. Beginner kids were trail riding boarder's expensive greenies because "he's so pretty." After a few rounds of people getting hurt on other people's horses and lots and LOTS of angry boarders, the BO finally decided to change his tune. Some people are really just morons.

Comment

• Original Poster

I'd totally agree with you CHS but when I got my first horse the resident "trainer" decided my horse needed to learn some manners, and rode my horse (my horse WAS a handful, more then I should've owned, but it worked out fine in the end). I got suspicious with the girth marks (no bridle marks), then found my tack had been used (still wet girth, a BENT curb bit etc). Found out wayyyy later through barn gossip girl had ridden horse, horse tossed her pretty bad, and she got scared. Since the girl wasn't around by the time I had it confirmed, I let it go, except for flipping out on the BO (who claimed not to know). I left shortly after.

Friend has plans to move horse to trainer's barn in abt 45 days. Can't move the horse in sooner since the trianer's barn is full right now. She doesn't really want to move her horse again for a few weeks, over just a suspicion... but she will if there are anymore signs.

Comment

That sounds like a very low end facility. You get what you pay for.
                            M

Comment

Originally posted by Love My TB Consent View Post
                              Anyways, friend did not ride horse for about 4 days, and comes out so see her pasture boarded (normally gets gross in the pasture) horse perfectly clean (tail, mane everything, almost perfect). Then finds a grimy girth mark, and bridle mark... I can't say it wasn't left over from 4 days ago, but friend typically grooms horse... especially the saddle area.... perfectly. And friend says she did clean it perfectly, going as far as towel drying the girth area.
                              This time of year the horses coats are funny. Even for my horses who are nearly in their summer coats. I will groom them and put them out after ride, look at them an hour later and wonder how in the hell did all those sweat marks reappear?

I wish I could blame my crappy grooming jobs on someone riding my horses while I wasn't looking. Sadly that is not the case.
                              Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

• Original Poster

You don't pay for someone to ride your horse! I can totally understand saying that when someone complains about poor hay, bedding, grain, poor care in general etc. But riding takes MORE work!

And since we're talking about this, when someone charges a lower amount of board it means they are lower class? Or void of morals/ethics? Really??? Since you are paying less money the BO doesn't care about riding your horse?

FWIW, the place I was speaking of (where I kept my old horse... ummm 9 years ago) was slightly backyard, but was about average for pasture board. Where friend keeps her horse, she is paying the HIGH end of what pasture board goes for!

Comment

I knew someone once who thought people were riding her horse or something so she put a combination lock on the thing's stall in a training barn where everyone is too busy to worry about riding a horse that isn't in training. Those were some crazy times, and I think, from what I hear, she's still a nut job.
                                  Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by tidy rabbit View Post
                                    This time of year the horses coats are funny. Even for my horses who are nearly in their summer coats. I will groom them and put them out after ride, look at them an hour later and wonder how in the hell did all those sweat marks reappear?

I wish I could blame my crappy grooming jobs on someone riding my horses while I wasn't looking. Sadly that is not the case.
                                    That made me laugh!!! It is true, and that is the one reason she has not jumped on moving horse immediately, or getting into it with the BO. She is almost certain that it's not the case, but can't be 100%.

Comment

Actually it was brand new. Several acres of pasture. Stall and pasture boarding. Two barns. Two nice arenas. Miles of trails. From the outside looking in, it seemed ideal. No red flags.Price was comparable to all of the other boarding barns in the area, if a bit more. To someone fresh to the area or someone new to horses and "out of the loop" there really would have been no way to know such stupidity was afoot.

Comment

Barn I was talking about was high end BNT. And she was caught in the act with a horse in a lesson. So, it can happen anywhere.

Comment

Working...
                                        X