• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Is this animal abuse/cruelty?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is this animal abuse/cruelty?

There are two horses in a field along the interstate that (out of habit) I'm always looking at as I go by. Back in late December the owners put blankets on them and I thought how nice, because it was really cold & we were getting 2' snow storms. For the last month+, one of the horse's blanket has been hanging 1/2 off it's side and no one ever fixes it.
    Well, spring has sprung here and it is 70 degrees outside right now. ....in the shade! These horses still have their winter blankets on! And it's still hanging half off of the poor animal.
    Can horses have heat strokes?
    Do you consider this animal neglect? Should I call animal control?
    I just think it's ridiculous that people are so irresponsible.

Where do you see them?

Originally posted by chancy deal View Post
    There are two horses in a field along the interstate that (out of habit) I'm always looking at as I go by. Back in late December the owners put blankets on them and I thought how nice, because it was really cold & we were getting 2' snow storms. For the last month+, one of the horse's blanket has been hanging 1/2 off it's side and no one ever fixes it.
    Well, spring has sprung here and it is 70 degrees outside right now. ....in the shade! These horses still have their winter blankets on! And it's still hanging half off of the poor animal.
    Can horses have heat strokes?
    Do you consider this animal neglect? Should I call animal control?
    I just think it's ridiculous that people are so irresponsible.
    I'd try finding the owners first. Where in the Valley are you seeing these guys? Anywhere near Staunton?
    MW
    Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
    New edition of book is out:
    Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Comment

Well to put this into perspective, some blankets are rubbish and no matter how many times someone straightens them the minute the horse goes and rolls they fall over again, so you can't really use that as anything to go by I don't think.

Unless you physically go and check these horses how would you know they are too hot? Maybe the horses are old or underweight. Maybe the blankets are rain sheets and don't have much padding.

There could be many reasons for the owners leaving the blankets on and if you are really that interested in the horses welfare then try to find the owners and ask them. No I would not consider this animal abuse and I wouldn't be calling AC if the horses do not appear to be in distress and are well fed and have water available to them.

Comment

• Original Poster

They're just north of Harrisonburg. You can see them along I-81. On the east side of the road. They're just past exit 251.

I'm not one to confront people. I also think people that will neglect an animal, arent really good people and I dont need to be cussed-out today.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Cloverbarley View Post
          Unless you physically go and check these horses how would you know they are too hot? Maybe the horses are old or underweight. Maybe the blankets are rain sheets and don't have much padding.
          This would be trespassing and Im not doing that.
          They looked healthy, not underweight, when the blankets went on in Dec.
          And they look like heavy insulated blankets. I havent trespassed on their property to take a close look at the type of insulation the blankets have.

Comment

Is there a house nearby that you could knock on the door and ask about the horses? I've stopped and straightened a blanket on a horse before. I would hope someone would do the same for me.
            Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

Hmm that does not ring any bells

They're just north of Harrisonburg. You can see them along I-81. On the east side of the road. They're just past exit 251.

I'm not one to confront people. I also think people that will neglect an animal, arent really good people and I dont need to be cussed-out today.
              I wouldn't worry too much, firstly it is fully possible that the folks who own them put them on when they turn out in the am, are at work and can't get back to remove them, it is still pretty chilly at night/early in the am.
              Plus it's my experience that when horses get fed up with rugs on they just rip them off.
              They have good teeth and are easily capable of tearing up a blanket no matter how well made.

They won't suffer for very long! If at all.
              Yours
              MW
              Melyni (PhD) PAS, Dipl. ACAN.
              Sign up for the Equine nutrition enewsletter on www.foxdenequine.com
              New edition of book is out:
              Horse Nutrition Handbook.

www.knabstruppers4usa.com

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Melyni View Post
                Plus it's my experience that when horses get fed up with rugs on they just rip them off.
                They have good teeth and are easily capable of tearing up a blanket no matter how well made.

They won't suffer for very long! If at all.
                Yours
                MW

Thanks Melyni. That is true. I guess I'll just forget about it and quit worrying.

bird4416, there isnt a house nearby. Not one sitting "right there" where it's obvious that they are the ones who own the property.

Comment

Wow, I'm just amazed its in the 70's in the shade in VA. but in Ga. its 58
                  Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

I hate to see blankets left on horses. They get too hot in the afternoon, sweat, and then come the nighttime chill, are standing in a damp blanket with all their fur mashed down so they have no insulation against the cold. I've known horses to get pneumonia from being left in blankets all day.

Having said that, I doubt AC would do anything about it. Usually their criteria for "abuse" is not enough water, food, or inadequate shelter. If the horses have all those things, I doubt your AC would get involved.

Bad horsemanship? Definitely. Abuse? I dunno. I guess your AC is the only one who could answer that.
                    I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

• Original Poster

Yesterday, in the middle of the day, they were out there with them on. Their heads hung low.

Comment

Originally posted by rabicon View Post
                        Wow, I'm just amazed its in the 70's in the shade in VA. but in Ga. its 58
                        I WAS JUST GOING TO WRITE THAT!!!!

I am so ready for seventy!!! And I just looked, ten day forecast does not show us getting up that high..rrrr...
                        Luistano Stallion standing for 2013: Wolverine UVF
                        http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8IZPHDzgX3s

Comment

I have to admit - my kids have their blankies (light/mid weight) on today and it was almost 60. It is getting colder at night, and is supposed to be cold/snowy again this weekend. Of course, I'll go straight to sheets when I do strip their blankies off.
                          A proud friend of bar.ka.

Comment

I'm not one for turning a blind eye.

My suggestion is to get someone from the SPCA over there. This group, at least in our county, is the group that is notified for animal abuse, abandonment, or neglect.

Horses kept in blankets in the heat could be neglect.

But the good news is that a good Humane Officer from SPCA will enter the property with the goal to first and foremost, educate. At least that is how it goes in my county.

If you try to find the owner, you may get lucky and happen upon a good situation that just needs tweaking. If you walk into a hornet's nest, imagine how bad you would feel if you had done nothing.

I have been known to enter a property under the guiss of looking for horses to buy.
                            ...don't sh** where you eat...

Comment

Do it!!!

If the blankets were put on four months ago and not touched. no telling what kind of condition the animals are in underneath. This has been a COLD, exceedingly snowy winter in the Valley, so horses on pasture have a very hard time, and you say the horses llook lethargic and the blankets are in the same position always. Follow your gut and REPORT!!!

Comment

In my area, the animal control people would laugh at you if you called in to report blankets on horses when its too warm. Personally, I would get off at the closest exit and drive around until you find them. It shouldn't be too hard. You could pull over and try to coax them up to the fence. That way you can assess body condition and you may find a house nearby where someone knows something.
                                You could nicely tell people you are concerned about a horse whose blanket is hanging off and worried it will get hurt.
                                If the horses are in poor condition, then you can call your animal control with a problem they can address.
                                Sarchasm: The gulf between the author of sarcastic wit and the person who doesn't get it.

Comment

Seriously I mean come on! You are a busy body dear. Just because it is something you would not do does not mean it is wrong

I have blankets on mine right now to help them shed out for show season. I must be a dreadful neglectful person! And *gasp* my horses are always twisting sheets and blankets - i fix them they twist right back - come and arrest me for it.

Some people leave for work at the crack of dawn when there is still a chill in the air and return at dusk when it is also chilly. They might not share your views.

Because it is not YOUR way does not mean it is the wrong way. Because you are not watching them 24/7 - or are you? You have no clue what goes on after you drive by - you need to get over yourself.
                                  "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

Originally posted by Woodland View Post

Because it is not YOUR way does not mean it is the wrong way. Because you are not watching them 24/7 - or are you? You have no clue what goes on after you drive by - you need to get over yourself.
                                    My thoughts exactly.

Gosh, I sure hope the OP does not drive up to NY and drive by my place. My mare is wearing a 'blanket' today. And she has lots of mud in her paddock too.

I leave the house long before it is light enough that you driving by could see my horse. It is still cold then. When I get home in the evening I have yet to find her dying of heat stroke.

How can you tell driving by on an expressway and not stopping if the blanket is a sheet or a winter blanket?

Comment

There is nothing wrong with checking things out. If the people are like the above posters, the horses will be in great shape under the blankets. No harm done. If the blanket has been twisted to the side for days on end I bet no one has been out to check on it. Seriously, Woodland, the difference here is that the blanket has been twisted to the side for days. When yours twists, you fix it. Big difference. Again, there is nothing wrong with checking things out further.

Comment

Last week, I had to argue with a client to get her to take one of two med weights off her very fuzzy, sweaty, old pony mare. Yesterday, I was successful in talking her out of the second blanket. She's an older woman, and was just really concerned about the mare catching a chill at night (supposed to be 73 here today...)....it's just hard to get across to people sometimes that horses have a different idea of "comfortable temperature" than humans do.....

Comment

Working...
                                        X