• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Coming to a dressage court near you-White Trash Dressage (UPDATE-YOUR photos needed!)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Coming to a dressage court near you-White Trash Dressage (UPDATE-YOUR photos needed!)

Jen22 and I stumbled across something today at the barn while riding: White Trash Dressage.

Now, WTD is very complicated and only the most talented horses can compete-I will outline some of the trickier movements that are involved.

One movement that is sure to get you off to a good start is the walk-away mount. This is when you climb up a ladder to get on your horse and before you are settled in the saddle, your horse walks away, ignoring your commands of "ho."

Another move that the judges will be sure to love is the giraffe trot--the higher your horse's head and the hollower its back, the more credit you are given.

One move that is sure to awe the judges is the tranter-this is when your mount tries to skip into a canter while trotting. I challenge anyone to match Jen22's mare to a tranter contest.

WTD classes are ridden with 2 horse/rider combinations in the ring. Credit is given to the rider who has the best close call without actually taking out the other pair. This is a very good way to rack up points when your mount decides to skip sideways across the arena when it refuses to go forward and especially for an OTTB who is jazzed up after cantering.

The Drunken Dressage walk is a crowd favorite-this is achieved by your horse's ADHD preventing it from walking in a straight line and instead weaving down the center line.

The judges will be more prone to watching you if your horse makes very ugly faces and pins its ears and swishes its tail in disgust.

Another challenging movement is the stiff as a board turn-this is when your mount refuses to bend whatsoever and keeps its entire body straight as can be; this is often combined with the Giraff trot described above, but can also be executed at the walk.

The octopus canter is very complex-this is when it appears and feels as if your mount has 8 legs underneath it going in 8 different directions. Extra credit is given if said legs are a blur; this extra credit will be doubled if it appears it is not known which direction you and your mount are going.

Double credit is given for the following:

The realk-this is when your mount attempts to rear while walking forward. Some say it is impossible, but trust me, my friends, it is VERY possible.

Second to the realk in complexity is a movement called the kier-this is when your mount attempts to kick out and rear simutaneously, not to be confused with the real dressage movement referred to as the capriole. The kier is much more ugly and very choppy in its flow.

The grab and go movement is lovely-this is where your mount snatches the reins out of your hands, causing intense pain in your shoulder(s). Your credit will be doubled if you yell out in pain.

Speaking of yelling, the more swearing and grumbling, the more bonus points you get. You will double your credit if you use the eff word.

For triple credit, your horse must break out of its halter while being hosed down after the class and run around the farm. The triple credit will be doubled if the halter is broken as well and not simply slipped out of.

Appropriate attire consists of tshirts with comments about beer not being just for breakfast anymore, obnoxiously colored half chaps, mismatched gloves, and dirty tack.

It should be mentioned that the credits can really be racked up if the above mentioned movements are combined into one movement.

It should be said to not attempt these moves at home without the coaching of a WTD trainer. Also, only certain truly talented horses can catch onto WTD, such as spotless Appaloosas and stubborn OTTB mares.
    Last edited by horse_poor; Jun. 25, 2006, 10:46 PM.
    Co-founder of White Trash Dressage (WTD)
    http://www.lulu.com/mavw1971
    also available on Amazon.com
    http://www.cafepress.com/wtdressage

Hey, you can join forces with the White Trash Eventing Team, established 2004! Our colors are arena-dust beige, duct tape grey, grass-stain green and not-so-white-anymore white.

There was a whole thread on it over on the Eventing board last year...can't find it now, though.
    Click here before you buy.

Comment

Finally, dressage I can relate to! I think I'd be a shoe-in. Definitely works for the WT Eventing team!
      Third Chair in the Viola Clique
      Founder of the Packrats Anonymous Clique
      Proud Member of the Dirty Grey Horse Clique
      http://community.webshots.com/user/pnekman

Comment

What if I say "whoa" instead of "ho?" Does that raise me above the "white trash" rating?

Comment

..and don't forget to include the Extended trot across the diagonal....highest points given for the horse who can trot widest behind!

Comment

What? No extra points for leaving the arena during a test? Or ripping out the chain that makes up the arena?

Does falling off put you ahead of the competition? How about trying to ride a test on a horse that's screaming for it's buddy the entire time?

Comment

Finally an event I am actually gifted at! I think a big fat Percheron should qualify for extra points as well, don't you? Especially if the rider (me) has to leap from the top of the mounting stump during the walkaway, landing squarely on the pad, BEHIND the saddle. THAT, my friends, is WTD at it's finest!

Comment

LOL and how do we get certified judges?

Comment

Guffaw!!

Comment

Hoot!
                    Chronicles of the $700 Pony
                    The Further Adventures of the $700 Pony
                    www.blithetraveler.com <-- My Blog

Comment

• Original Poster

The calling to friends is definitely worth some extra points.

The landing on the pad instead of saddle is PROBABLY worth triple credit. (Will have to check the rule book, which was written on a mixture of napkins and take out bags from McDOnalds)

This wide trot across the diagnal you speak of is indeed a movement, called the straddle trot.

Running over the letters, leaving the arena, or breaking the chains is only worth double credit but if it is combined with any of the above listed movements it will be a triple credit.

"Ho" and "Whoa" are equal, extra credit for screaming "I said effing HO/WHOA!"

And the newest rule: pooing while saluting the judge AND river dancing at the same time is indeed an OFFICIAL movement.

Comment

hhahahha this is great!

I boarded at WTD barn and geeeez them movements are great. Them there stoping with the mouth wide open and tounge hangin out was worth a few extra points from what them there people told me.
                        Draumr Hesta Farm
                        "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
                        Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

Comment

How about an attempt at extension that actually involves something more like the octopus movement going at Corvette speed?

And do we get extra credit for mismatched, loudly-colored polo bandages? Or, even better, for leaving our mismatched shipping bandages on?
                          "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                          Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

I think there needs to also be in-hand classes for horses that haven't yet perfected keeping rider mounted while performing these moves. Say, 7-8 year olds who are just getting started after sitting around after being on the racetrack for a while. And this would be much more complex than a regular in-hand class. Points would be given to the brave, bold horse, who prefers to walk in front of his leader. Passage while half-passing on a lead line is quite a feat to accomplish! Then we would have the bite-and-bolt and the shoulder-in-(your-face), and of course the haunches-in(your face) as well. Horses who can manage to cow-kick someone standing in front of them are obviously super athletic. What do you think?
                            Ristra Ranch Equestrian Jewelry

Comment

• Original Poster

Vandy, you might be on to something there! I think it is a definite need! The cow kick octopus move is a thing of beauty.

And mismatched polos are not only allowed, they are encouraged

Comment

What about correctness of gaits? Surely the horse who moves most like a sewing machine at the trot (an equisite enhancement of the giraffe trot, btw) shall be scored the highest, no?

And how could we leave out the teeter-totter canter? This is a gait with which some of you may be aware wherein the horse addes a crow hop with each stride. I feel that extra points should be allotted if the horse also adds a high pitched squeal to emphasize each mini kick. (Note: This gait is particularly fun to ride. )

Finally, there is the WTD upward canter transition which involves a squeal and buck. Performed correctly, the horse should spring a minimum of 2'6" off the ground. Double credit is certainly deserved if dirt flies as far as the judge's table.
                                "I did know once, only I've sort of forgotten." - Winnie the Pooh

Comment

What about those of us who are WT riders overhorsed on the fancy WB who is way too talented for us and has an attitude problem about it? (the horse, not the rider)
                                  Which level has the "sits the trot from ear to tail" gait? Or the "why the hell did my horse's arse just pass me when I was trying to ride straight" gait? How about the "halt at X and I refuse to move again until you learn what the heck you're doing?" move? Or my favorite....the trot where each hoof hits the ground at maximum force...creating enormous divots in the footing and forcing my spine through my helmet?
                                  We do a decent half-ass pass. We can achieve the canter pirouette into the levade if I use spurs. We've perfected the free jig as opposed to the free walk. Oh, and the stop-n-snore...I seem to bore the diva to death. Our best so far has been the "turn the head completely around and stare at the rider in horror" move.
                                  So am I qualified to ride this WTD? I can make my coach cry in a matter of minutes...I promise!
                                  You jump in the saddle,
                                  Hold onto the bridle!
                                  Jump in the line!
                                  ...Belefonte

Comment

ChocolateDream....certified judges, no way. The judge will be picked by spectators checking under their chair to see if a piece a paper with "Judge" is taped to it. They are judge for the day
                                    *Ride and let ride...*

Comment

Freakin' hilarious!
                                      I would like to think I will die an heroic death...

But it's more likely I'll trip over my dog and choke on a spoonful of frosting.

Comment

• Original Poster

Aggie, the sewing machine trot I believe would fall under the octopus gait category--squeals are good, but rider swearing is better.

Misty, whileit sounds like your mare may have a future in WTD, it appears she is um, good. For real. In order to excel in this sport you must do away with the pirouette unless it is done without you asking for it and it is ugly. I also fear that the standing at x and not moving will bring few credits, unless your mount was pinning ears, making ugly faces, pooing, river dancing, or you were hissing and swearing to get it to go forward, or a combination thereof.

And yes, the ol' sign under the lawn chair is indeed how judges are found.

Comment

Working...
                                        X