• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

LP spin-off, celebrities that are unexpected horse peeps

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• LP spin-off, celebrities that are unexpected horse peeps

I heard on the radio today Whoopi Goldberg defending her Michael Vick comments..she said she has 13 horses.

I know the more obvious ones like Cheryl Crow, Bo Derek and Patrick Swayze, and the guitar player of Metallica has Freisians.

Who else?
    I recognized with despair that I was about to be compelled to buy a horse ~
    Edith Somerville and "Martin Ross"

"Momma" to Tiempo, Tucker and Puff, RIP my beautiful Norman 8/2012

William Shatner breeds and show Saddlebreds and has also had reiners
    Martha Stewart has Friesians
    Oprah has Walking Horses
    Jesse Ventura's family has Saddlebreds

Comment

One of the women from Desperate House Wives used to event.

Linda Blair does all sorts of stuff with horses.

There is actually quite the list...I should ask the boss. He spent a loooooong time in Hollywood, so could probably give you a surprising list. I know he used to teach one of the band members from Jane's Addiction and I think he had a roommate that was a drummer in some pretty big bands that had horses.
      Amanda

Comment

Along the lines of LP... the blind singer Andrea Boccelli also has horses. Arabians, I think. And he does ride in spite of his blindness.

I thought it was either Slash or Joe Perry that had the Friesians. ?
        "I did know once, only I've sort of forgotten." - Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Shania Twain
          *We tolerate behaviors in human beings that would horrify us if we saw them in a horse.*
          R.I.P El Salvador*
          [COLOR="SlateGray"]

Comment

George Foreman has gaited critters, including (at one time, at least) Icelandics, which makes for a really funny picture.

Whoopi Goldberg is right near me--there was much excitement at one of the local tack shops when it came time to deliver a custom tack trunk to her (quite lovely) place.

Comment

Keith Richard from the Rolling Stones - shows and breeds Arab horses

Madonna is famous for falling off them! And being photographed on them looking like a 3rd rate hooker !

Orlando Bloom rides well and was in Pony Club.

Bryan Ferry - lead singer from Roxy Music - Fox hunting (and I sold him a horse!)

Katie Price (aka Jordan) - Dressage rider

Obviously the Royal Family: Duke of Edinburgh - fei teams HDT driver
              Princess Anne - eventer and fox hunting, Prince Charles - polo player and amature national hunt jockey and fox hunting, Zara Philips - eventer, Princes William and Harry - fox hunting and polo. Queen - influential breeder of Cleveland Bays, Dutch Warmbloods, T/b's - also an outstanding rider - side saddle and astride and fox hunting.

Doesn't Stephanie Powers do something too??

Comment

Joe Perry does have Fresians.

There's a book out about celebrities and their horses...."People we know and the horses they love" or something like that.

Jewel has horses....Mark McGrath and Alex Trebek have racehorses...Paul Newman, Richard Gere, Whoopi Goldberg, Hilary Duff, Maria Shriver (I wonder if AAAHNALD rides?), Jeff Bridges, Morgan Freeman, Christie Brinkley, and Robert Redford all have horses, too.

Chevy Chase has Icelandics (which is almost as funny a mental image as George Foreman having them!)
                Adversity is the stone on which I sharpen my blade.

Comment

Wayne Newton has/had Arabians.

Charles Bronson's wife...is it Bo Dereck has Andies or Lusitanos

Comment

Lyle Lovett and Morgan Freeman. And in my youth fellow competitors included Doc Severinson's kid and A.J. Foyt's kid (a tb trainer in KY last I heard).

Comment

I saw Robin Quivers (Howard Sterns sidekick) at HITS Ellenville several years ago.
                      Her horse Flash? Blaze? refused 3 times and she came out laughing... gotta' give her props for that since when they announced that she was riding EVERYONE came over to watch.
                      Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

Whoopi spends a lot of time in my neighborhood. She has a man friend here..for the last 5 years or so. He's a nice, small-time local guy who owns some beautiful property. He's unpretentious.

They are building a really beautiful place refered to locally as "The Compound". I'm sure he provided the land and she's behind the house. I'm surprised to hear she has horses. There's plenty of land for horses but I haven't seen a barn-type building going up. It could be coming.

She's a regular site in this small town. No one bothers her.

Comment

Not Hollywood, but Joe Montana is an avid western rider and his wife has done the hunters for a long long time. She owned one of the South Pacific kids that was such a knockout.
                          Nina's Story
                          Epona Comm on FB

Comment

[QUOTE=Thomas_1;2668834]Keith Richard from the Rolling Stones - shows and breeds Arab horses

Right band, wrong member? Were you thinking of Charlie Watts?
                            Shirley and Charlie Watts own Halsdon Arabians. (http://www.halsdonarabians.com/index.htm)

Shirley Watts recently purchased the highest selling horse at the 2007 Pride of Poland Sale. Beautiful 2003 bay mare named Pieta.

Haven't heard about Keith Richards owning Arabians. I would see him as more of an Akhal Teke kinda guy

Comment

re: title

I've been reading waaay too many threads about NH...I kept on trying to make sense out of this title thinking you meant Linda Parelli, until it finally clicked you meant the thread on Luciano Pavarotti.

Elizabeth Tayor was given the horse she rode in National Velvet for her birthday...I think his name was Prince Charming.

James Cagney raised Morgans (Yep - I'm a TCM whore )
                              edit : pictures of his ranch: http://www.americassuburb.com/cagney.html
                              Let us eat, drink, and be merry. For tomorrow we die.

Comment

I had a day off of work a few weeks ago and was watching Martha Stewart's show. I started laughing histerically when she called out her groom for being sick over the weekend. it was something along the lines of "I had so much time this weekend to come up with this wonderful thing, because I could not go riding because my groom was not there! Thanks so much!"

Um... you can't go brush off a horse and tack them up yourself?

Comment

The opera singer Pavarotti, who just died, loved to ride. He was a very large man and went to great effort to get big, sturdy, horses who could carry him comfortably. (Had an 17-h Irish hunter, I heard). He would sing to them. Lucky horses.

--s.
                                  Under carefully controlled conditions of breeding, training, and care, a horse will do whatever it damn well pleases.

Comment

My wonderful old gem of a Trak mare was bred by... erm... don't know his first name, but Graham (Steve maybe?) of the Rock Group Foreigner. The breeding cert actually has his sister or wife's name, with the real surname (Grammatica (sp))

Sorry, not my kind of music...

Mare was a fancy TB hunter show name "Right for the Times" bred to Anne Gribbons/Knoll Farm's *Malachit.

That's my brush with fame.
                                    InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
                                    ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

Stephanie Powers is a polo player.

Pretty darned sure my Dad said John Wayne had horses, but for the life of me I can't remember what breed, when or where. What can I say, I was a kid when they sat down over a few toddies, lol

Comment

George Foreman has Saddlebreds. He likes to buy studs ... keeps them whole. I know that he has at least a cremello and a black stud.

Ronald Reagan had a variety of horses. He was given a Saddlebred by Callaway Hills stables.

Patrick Duffy has Saddlebreds. So does Carson Kressley. He also rides Friesians. His family had Shetland ponies. The lady who played Miss Kitty on Gunsmoke (Amanda???) had hackney ponies. Stephen Jobs (Apple Computer) had Morgans. Ahhnold and Bo Derek have Andalusians and Maria Shriver rides.

Dennis Quaid has horses on his ranch in Montana. Robert Redford is partial to Palominos. Christie Brinkley rides cutting horses as does Joe Montana and Tanya Tucker. Richard Gere has Appys. Oprah has TWH. Zsa Zsa Gabor competed on TWH. Swayze and Newton have Arabs.

Shatner is one of the few Rose Parade Grand Marshals to ever RIDE. He rode his own Saddlebred. He just won a World Championship with his road horse (Standardbred) at the Kentucky State Fair in August. His wife, Liz, is a former horse trainer and I watched her win her own World Championship on her ASB, Boston Legal, just a few classes later. They did the same thing a few years ago as well ...

Lindsay and Sydney Greenbush (played Carrie Ingalls on Little House on the Prairie) are actually horse trainers now. Another LHOP alum, Melissa Gilbert also has horses.

Madonna, Alyssa Milano, Alex Trebek ...

Comment

Working...
                                        X