• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Article about Kill Buyer in Maine

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Article about Kill Buyer in Maine

Good quote:

"“People are trying to get as many killed as possible before the mallet comes down,’’ said Dr. Nicholas Dodman, director of the animal behavior clinic at the Cummings School of Veterinary Medicine at Tufts University. “This is not going to starving people. It’s going to the plates of gourmets in the Champs Elysees.’’

http://www.boston.com/news/local/mai...ses_come_home/
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

I just love how a dealer making a living selling horses for meat....is trying to push the point that by killing horses they are saving them from so much suffering and neglect when in fact the vast majority of horses going to slaughter are fat and sleek and in good health, condition and young. I mean...how many do they honestly "save" from neglect to justify the entire money making scheme? I am sure a few are "saved" but I'm also fairly certain that most are not in any terrible danger of starvation or neglect at the time they are bought and shipped over the border. I wonder also if this lady is honest to those she "rescues" horses from in that she's planning to have them slaughtered?

I just wish for once those who profit from this business would quit the emotional ploy and propaganda that they are doing the horses a favor by making money on brokering them for meat. These people are doing it to make money....nothing more.

Comment

Originally posted by Daydream Believer View Post
      I wonder also if this lady is honest to those she "rescues" horses from in that she's planning to have them slaughtered?

I just wish for once those who profit from this business would quit the emotional ploy and propaganda that they are doing the horses a favor by making money on brokering them for meat. These people are doing it to make money....nothing more.
      I didn't see where Hemphill (the kill buyer) was pretending that she was rescuing? They really only had a few quotes from her, and she seemed pretty straightforward that it was a business. I do see a difference between someone who picks up "free to good home" horses and lies about giving them a forever home, and a broker who is quite honest that if she can't re-train or sell a horse it may go to slaughter.
      ...somewhere between the talent and the potato....

Comment

While I agree that it's wrong to misrepresent yourself for any reason, why is it evil to make money at your job? Isn't that why ALL of us work, to make money? Sure, honest KBs will tell you it's for the money; it's what they do to make a living. Those who work in slaughter houses ALSO do it for the money. It's not because they're evil, soulless cretins who take pleasure from the deaths of other living things. They provide a service, just like anyone else who works. If you're going to be pissed off, be pissed off at the person who threw the animal away, not the person who picks it up and makes money with it.
        Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Comment

Interesting, this is the dealer that a summer camp I taught at rented it's horses from. It was amazing how many of the horses we got that had "minor behavioral issues" often were absolutely fine after getting feet trimmed and teeth floated. We actually had a couple of students buy horses that they rode in camp. I guess those were the lucky ones.

I can just see it: "Oh, where did Roxy go? She was so much fun to ride last summer." "Sorry kiddo, she ended up as someone's 4-star dinner in Europe. Easy come, easy go; let that be a life lesson to you."
          Leap, and the net will appear

Comment

Originally posted by arabhorse2 View Post
            While I agree that it's wrong to misrepresent yourself for any reason, why is it evil to make money at your job? Isn't that why ALL of us work, to make money? Sure, honest KBs will tell you it's for the money; it's what they do to make a living. Those who work in slaughter houses ALSO do it for the money. It's not because they're evil, soulless cretins who take pleasure from the deaths of other living things. They provide a service, just like anyone else who works for a living. If you're going to be pissed off, be pissed off at the person who threw the animal away, not the person who picks it up and makes money with it.
            Exactly!

Why do we have to have yet another one of these inane threads
            "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

How many KB will go pick up "Free to good home " horses and tell the people that the horse is for "little Susie" then turn around and sell it to slaughter? That is deceptive.

Our local auction tries to hide the fact that horses are sold to slaughter by saying "to J-Town" when a slaughter buyer buys them. I think that is also deceptive. They should say "to Kill" or "to slaughter" . Individuals that sell their horses there should be able to know what the outcome is for the sale of their horses.

And I've never been able to figure out why people complain/get upset about a thread topic, open up a thread who's title tells you what it is going to be about, and then post on it. If you are tired of a certain topic, then don't read or post on that thread.
              Last edited by jetsmom; Mar. 8, 2010, 01:15 PM.

Comment

I don't mind the kill buyers so much as long as they do business honestly and as far as i could tell Hemphills has always been pretty straight about what they do with their horses. And they do have a large sale barn and you can ride the horses there to try them out. They would MUCH rather sell them to a private party for $500 and up then send them over the border for $200-300. When I lived there I would go ride them for my friend who taught lessons and needed a school horse. We never did find one trustworthy enough for beginners (several fine for riding horses though) although we did miss out on quite a few that would probably have been nice if they hadn't sold the hour before! The stalls weren't the cleanest but I've seen far worse and the horses were fed well (back then at least) so probably even a skinny horse would be better off going there and getting to eat as much as it needed for a few weeks before the end.

The horses moved in and out fairly quickly though.
                Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

Sounds like a reasonable business to me. What, you'd prefer they throw the ones that don't work on the back forty until they starve? Or keep paying a few hundred to euth and dispose of the contaminated carcass until they go out of business?

It's a living. And yeah, horse got sold from camp last year and is gone. That's life. Doesn't matter if it's dead or not, it's still gone.

And people who just give their animals away and never follow up don't have a right to complain about what happens to them.
                  Author Page
                  Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                  Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Our local kill buyer was a horseshoer, that the veterinarians would recommend when a horse was permanently lame or just too crazy, or traders would send him those that didn't work for riding horses.
                    He would keep them in his pens, treated exactly like any other horse he had, that is very well.
                    He hauled them when he had a load, that is six, in the same trailer his family's personal horses went to compete.

About once every month or two he would have a load, take them the 6 1/2 hours to the plant, they were processed right then and he would come back with a check for the owners and keep a commission for his gas and time and feed.
                    Horses in those days brought easily $500+ at least, before the plants closed.

Other than the gut distaste everyone of us has thinking of slaughter, as far as the whole process, no one can find fault there.
                    From collecting, keeping in nice pens and well fed and attended to and hauled over there, I don't think anyone would ever think to call that "abuse".

So many anti slaughter keep saying that abuse happens without slaughter also and that closing slaughter didn't keep abuse from happening.
                    They are right, abuse happens any time, any place and yes, some of it I am sure happened in slaughter, as it does in the best barns also.
                    We do know and it has been documented that, in many areas of the country, the abuse that happens anyway has deepened because of stopping slaugher.
                    Just ask any rescue.

We know that abuse happens any place, including slaughter, but that slaughter also happens without abuse, as many attest to, that then the antis don't want to think, they are blind to anything but slaugher being evil.
                    Then, when did being honest was considered important?
                    Not so much, for what I keep seeing.

Comment

Bluey -

Proud anti slaughter here, but if it happened they way you describe as the norm, I would feel differently. With the current volume and now the distances, I can't imagine that is the norm now.
                      Kudos to your shoer for his empathy.
                      My big man - April 27, 1986 - September 04, 2008-
                      You're with me every moment, my big red horse.

Be kinder than necessary, for everyone is fighting a battle of some kind.

Comment

Wow, talk about someone with a twisted mind:

At Hemphill’s farm, however, business is business, and she contends slaughter is sometimes the most merciful end for a lame or broken-down animal.

“What’s the best outcome for a horse?’’ Hemphill said. “That’s where I’m coming from.’’

Um, I'll tell you what the best outcome for a lame or broken-down animal, it's called euthanasia. Since when is putting a lame horse on a packed truck and crowding it in pens before slaughter "merciful"?! She wants a gold star and a pat on the back for her efforts?!
                        Proud owner of a Slaughter-Bound TB from a feedlot, and her surprise baby...!
                        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e350/Jen4USC/fave.jpg
                        http://i42.photobucket.com/albums/e3...SC/running.jpg

Comment

While I agree that it's wrong to misrepresent yourself for any reason, why is it evil to make money at your job? Isn't that why ALL of us work, to make money? Sure, honest KBs will tell you it's for the money; it's what they do to make a living. Those who work in slaughter houses ALSO do it for the money. It's not because they're evil, soulless cretins who take pleasure from the deaths of other living things. They provide a service, just like anyone else who works. If you're going to be pissed off, be pissed off at the person who threw the animal away, not the person who picks it up and makes money with it.
                          Well, if the person who "threw the animal away" sold it to a KB or whatever you want to call them, s/he is making money off the animal, too? Then what is the difference?

The idea that someone makes money off of a legal activity, yet bears no responsibility (moral or otherwise) is kind of laughable. AIG, anyone?
                          Fear is the rocket sauce.
                          Jack Black

Comment

Not to mention that horses that are unable to bear weight on all 4 legs are illegal to transport to slaughter.

Comment

What 'moral responsibility' does a KB have, except to care properly for the animal until it's either sold to an individual or a slaughter house? Seriously, how does that even compare to what happened with AIG? Oooh, let's throw Enron in there too, just because! White collar crime is comparable to what you want to consider as inherent abuse how? Just because not everyone thinks of horses as fuzzy, retarded children doesn't make them abusive or morally irresponsible.
                              Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Comment

What 'moral responsibility' does a KB have, except to care properly for the animal until it's either sold to an individual or a slaughter house? Seriously, how does that even compare to what happened with AIG? Oooh, let's throw Enron in there too, just because! White collar crime is comparable to what you want to consider as inherent abuse, just because the KBs don't think warm and fuzzies about an animal? I don't even know how you MADE that leap of illogic.
                                Uh, I didn't mention anything about abuse, you are projecting things that aren't there. I was just pointing out that your argument about why someone should be pissed at the seller and not the KB made no sense. Which you didn't address in your response. I didn't draw any comparisons between level of distaste for AIG and KB, just that AIG could make the same argument, "we were just doing our jobs".
                                Fear is the rocket sauce.
                                Jack Black

Comment

hmm, i wonder if horses slaughtered in canada and mexico really wind up being consumed by europeans with more money.
                                  seems to me that with the thriving horse meat industry in europe, discriminating buyers would probably choose to eat horse meat which has been raised for that purpose, with no question about which drugs those animals had been exposed to here. my understanding of european raised horse meat is that the standards are much higher for drugs,etc.
                                  i bet the meat which comes from american horses probably goes to the poorer people who don't have the money to be as discretionary and just want to put meat on their table.
                                  kind of like us buying purdue instead of local and organic i think.
                                  either way, people are going to eat meat regardless of how you and i feel about it. imo our responsibility lies in humane and ethical treatment of all animals up until the very moment of death.

Comment

Originally posted by suz View Post
                                    hmm, i wonder if horses slaughtered in canada and mexico really wind up being consumed by europeans with more money.
                                    seems to me that with the thriving horse meat industry in europe, discriminating buyers would probably choose to eat horse meat which has been raised for that purpose, with no question about which drugs those animals had been exposed to here. my understanding of european raised horse meat is that the standards are much higher for drugs,etc.
                                    i bet the meat which comes from american horses probably goes to the poorer people who don't have the money to be as discretionary and just want to put meat on their table.
                                    kind of like us buying purdue instead of local and organic i think.
                                    either way, people are going to eat meat regardless of how you and i feel about it. imo our responsibility lies in humane and ethical treatment of all animals up until the very moment of death.
                                    The US horses were being marketed to the end user as "Free range" wild horses...not drug laden ex racehorses/showhorses.

Comment

Originally posted by jenm View Post
                                      Wow, talk about someone with a twisted mind:

At Hemphill’s farm, however, business is business, and she contends slaughter is sometimes the most merciful end for a lame or broken-down animal.

“What’s the best outcome for a horse?’’ Hemphill said. “That’s where I’m coming from.’’

Um, I'll tell you what the best outcome for a lame or broken-down animal, it's called euthanasia. Since when is putting a lame horse on a packed truck and crowding it in pens before slaughter "merciful"?! She wants a gold star and a pat on the back for her efforts?!
                                      Thanks Jenm...that's the point I was trying to make and failed to get across well. I realize what she's doing is legal but I get so sick of the emotional and ridiculous justifications like that.

Then she wants us to appreciate and admire the great service she is providing by doing this. It's sickening. If there was no money in it, you can be sure she'd not be doing any such thing.

Comment

facing monthly feeding bills of about $300 per horse

where on earth did they get this number? Horses here get fed as well as they possibly could be and it doesn't cost me $300.00 a month...
                                        "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                        ---
                                        The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Working...
                                        X