• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

How many take care of our bodies like we do our horses'?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• How many take care of our bodies like we do our horses'?

I was thinking about how the high level horses are taken care of...weight management, chiro/massage/acupuncture, training programs, regular vet care. If the horse is less talented, the more these horses need the help. Is that true for us? I am not a talented rider, I have to work REALLY hard to ride at the level I do (not that high, either! About 2nd-3rd level dressage) and have decided, this year, I am focusing on getting my body right. I made an appointment with my MD to get some blood work pulled and make sure the extra weight I am carrying isn't just because of my eating/exercise program. I am hoping to get a referral to a nutritionist or endocrinologist to address whatever is found. I also started working with a chiropractor and massage therapist (luckily is covered under my insurance!) to make sure I am limber and balanced. So it's on, body! Time to accentuate the positive and eliminate the negative (as much as I can)! Anyone else feeling this is their year?
    When the student is ready, the teacher will appear.

Not EVEN close!! My arthritic horse get supplements for his joints. Not me, I'm too cheap.

I meticulously control the feeding regime of all of my pets (dogs, cats, horses and geckos) to maintain their optimum weight. Myself? Heck no!! I'm sure that my husband WISHES that I were this concerned about my own weight. LOL

Comment

I'm impressed that you can afford to take care of you on top of taking care of said pony. My budget goes to my horse (oh and bills and savings and that sort of thing).

http://iamthesprinklerbandit.blogspot.com/

Comment

Yeah, I don't even have my own horse, though I've appropriated a school horse that I treat as my own. He definitely eats better than I do. I even considered (for one wild moment) offering to pay for a massage for him.

And yet I'm the one with scoliosis and an achy back....funny.
        Forward momentum!

Comment

Yes. I challenged myself a few years ago to have healthy mind/body/spirit and that included taking care of myself physically, emotionally, mentally, and spiritually. This is a very eastern philosophy and thought and I can say that I grasped most of this through practicing yoga (few Uni classes on self/identity helped as well! ).

Transferring this to horses, we are asking them to be athletes and through the physical work that they do for us, I think it's important to compliment that with proper nutrition, shoeing, and mental stimulation (turnout with other horses). Of course, if you are serious about riding, then you are an athlete as well and need to take care of yourself. A lot of riding is mental, and if you have an unhealthy body then you likely have an unhealthy mind. Furthermore, our bodies are a separate entity of how we feel about ourselves (mind/body connection). If you are feeding your body junk (processed foods, high fat) then this is likely going to be transferred to your self-worth, as a person or as an athlete. We treat our horses with respect, and so we should treat our bodies similarly.

That being said, I eat well, exercise, know my boundaries and limits (very important in my field, working with criminogenic individuals with a lot of mental health and addiction issues), set time for myself (personal thought/reflection), and I do love massages!!!
          Member OMGiH I loff my mares clique!!!

Comment

Heh. I don't give my HORSE that! He gets a massage because a friend of the BO is starting out and practices on the horses at our barn. Basically we both work and eat on the old-school plan--no fancy equipment or consults, just working with what you've got! (But if he needs fancy shoes, he gets them before I get the fancy shoes. Cost is about the same, and I can always get mine at Wal-Mart.)
            Author Page
            Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
            Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

• Original Poster

Well, I don't have a horse at the moment to take care of. BUT, I do have a lovely schoolmaster I am privileged to ride, so I kind of feel like I need to step up my game! Plus, the dr, chiro and some of the massage is covered by my insurance (thank god for university job!) so it's not TOO expensive. But groceries that aren't junk ARE expensive, and a gym membership/yoga classes too. I feel like we can take care of our horses, but if we don't give ourselves at least some of that, we can't expect our riding to progress, no matter how nice our horses are. I've ridden some fabulous horses and had some incredible teachers/trainers, but I still have not progressed as far as I would like. The only thing left is to work on my body like I would on a horse that is not progressing like I would like. Only rational right? Common denominator is ME!

Comment

I'm at the age where, if I don't take care of myself, I won't be able to ride anymore. I went to a physio and got a set of exercises for my back and bought weights and an exercise bike to add to my longstanding walking routine. (I eschewed a gym membership for financial reasons and because I spend 1 1/2 hours getting to and from the barn as it is).

Now, as someone mentioned earlier, if only I could regulate my caloric intake like I do for my horse.

Comment

I'd fail a PPE, Jet wouldn't.

Comment

I'd be a pasture pet or ...........
                    \"You have two choices when a defining moment comes along - you can either define the moment, or let the moment define you.\" Tin Cup

Comment

fizzy fuzzy or whatever and vesper sparrow, you are speaking my language...I have just decided that i have to do something to help my body out! I am thinking yoga but I am also thinking dvd at home...I started vitamins ( if I can remember to take them) and even the "Elations" joint supplement in drink form ( taking too many pills to add that too)... work hard on horses and if I am to keep up (catch up) I gotta start working on ME! give me ideas...know massages would help but not sure i can afford them, thanks

Comment

Someone really needs to fit me with a grazing muzzle
                        "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
                        -Edward Hoagland

Comment

I do.
                          I eat scheduled meals under the guidance of a nutrionist, I exercise regularly with a personal trainer who also rides, i get at least 8 hrs of sleep a night, and drink 5L of water daily. Granted it's the ye ol barter system that allows me to afford the nutritionist and trainer.

My horse follows a strict nutrition and diet program, and *sigh* spends his vet care budget lately.
                          www.destinationconsensusequus.com
                          chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

After the Finish Line

I grew up swimming competitively...for 10 years to be exact. I spent so much time with my head under water! It was the best exercise I could have done for overall fitness - cardio and strength training. I was also a tri-athlete and runner. Yoga has been great for stretching and lengthening the muscles. It has helped my posture when riding. I eat healthy and my body feels lousy if I junk out. I feel more confident as a rider by keeping myself in shape.

Comment

Wow, I am envious of those who have the time and money to take care of themselves! I'm a groom and am broken like your typical groom. Hahahaha. My back is never right, my muscles and joints ache every day, pinching, pulling, owowow... yup!
                              The horses are happy and healthy, though. I only eat two meals a day lately and they get their three hay two grains daily. I have the opposite problem of a lot of people - I am not an easy keeper so I technically should be eating much more, but so far I'm surviving, just not an ounce of fat on me at the moment! I would love to have another five pounds on me (preferably in areas that I choose...)
                              I'd rather be riding!

Comment

Healthy food isn't more expensive than junk food. Healthy food just requires preparation usually as opposed to opening a package or popping in the microwave.
                                But if you exercise portion control and find a few minutes a time or two a week...you can eat healthy food at the same price (or less) than junk food. Might take a short while for your taste buds to get used to it, but once you get used to healthy food, you realize how crapp the junk food made you feel.
                                After all, you can't improve your physical fitness if you keep eating junk. The body needs healthy stuff to run on and repair itself.
                                You jump in the saddle,
                                Hold onto the bridle!
                                Jump in the line!
                                ...Belefonte

Comment

• Original Poster

MistyBlue -- I agree 100%!! I will be the first to admit I'm lazy about cooking! I know that eating at home is actually cheaper than what I usually do (eat out), but preplanning for meals was never my strong suit! That's one of the things I am working on this year! I'm going to put myself into a training program like I would a new horse that needs some rehab!!

Comment

I try really hard to take as good care of myself as I do my "kids" (aka 2 horses, 2 cats and my beloved dog). I do eat fairly healthy and recently lost 13lbs and am keeping it off. I'd love to take another 5lbs off... but I just don't think I can do it. Oh well. I'm a perfect weight now (not that I wasn't before though).

I do see my chiro regularly. She's amazing. Of course, all my issues would be solved and I wouldn't need to see her if I stopped riding, not that that is going to happen anytime soon though. I also see my massage therapist regularly too. She's equally amazing and together they make a great "team" - it's a good thing they are both in the same clinic too.

And I get routine physicals and bloodwork, just like my horses/dogs/cats. Oh and I see the dentist twice a year, like the horses. Never had a cavity or any major issues (except braces) in my 25 years of life. GLAD I've never had a "power float" cause I think I'd pass out.

And all of this is on a single budget... and I'm planning a wedding in a couple months. So it is doable. But you have to be committed to doing it. It helps that both my parents are in the medical field and I know and see first hand what happens when you let your body "go to pot", as the saying goes. True, I could definitely stand some strength training in my core and upper body... but well, we all have something we need to work on.

And I agree with MistyBlue too - about eating right and portion control. Portion control is the big thing though - and nearly everything is okay in moderation (so I keep telling myslef as I LOVE chocolates). I'm so excited for spring and FRESH produce and vegetables. I even planted my peppers last weekend in hopes that spring will show up sooner (I doubt it).
                                    Proud owner of Gus & Gringo.
                                    See G2's blog
                                    Photos

Comment

Typically.....not so much, they seem to be taken care of much better then myself. Currently we are totally on the same wavelength! Pony boy got hurt again so instead of the stem cell and controlled walking again, we went au natural and out to pasture he went until August. Works out quite well as I am currently 6 months preggo, so yup right now we are both getting fluffy enjoying our grazing time.

Comment

I take care of the basics (eating right and exercising) but I very rarely go to the doc unless it's an emergency (yet I call the vet ASAP if poopsie has a scrape)....my lower back is killing me, but I would rather spend the chiro money on my horse's back, so he's happy....he gets all the latest and greatest tack, treats, accomodations - I'm wearing 3 year old jeans and buy street clothes on clearance... lol.
                                        Originally posted by barka.lounger
                                        u get big old crop and bust that nags ass the next time it even slow down.

we see u in gp ring in no time.

Comment

Working...
                                        X