• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

5-day trek -- what would you wear?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 5-day trek -- what would you wear?

I'm off to New Zealand in a few weeks and will be doing a 5-day horse trek on the South Island. I normally ride h/j and wear boots and breeches. I haven't ridden in jeans for decades... The advice given to me by the trekking place was to bring jeans as opposed to breeches because the saddles are western style.

I'm thinking my J. Jill jeans are not going to cut it, so I could use some advice on what to shop for in the next week. Someone at my barn recommended Q Baby (by Wrangler)... What are your opinions? Suggestions?

(I'm too old for super low-rise, am on the short side, and could stand to lose 10 - 15 lbs (sigh).)

Thanks for your help!

P.S. I'll be bringing my paddock boots, and could bring half-chaps...

If you buy jeans, wear and wash them a lot between now and then. I would not go for a long ride in new jeans.

Personally, I'd wear breeches and half chaps and BYO helmet.

Comment

I still wear breeches in my endurance saddle (cut more western than english), but they're breeches that are actually for distance riding (most comfortable things ever!!!!). I usually wear them with half chaps and ariat terrains. If you must wear jeans- try the stretchy pull on jeans from Wally-World- their seams are way smaller than the average jeans.
      "As soon as you're born you start dyin'
      So you might as well have a good time"

Comment

I'd get a pair of heavyweight breeches, like corduroy or the like. Jeans are great if you are riding through a lot of tall brush, but I hate the seams rubbing and as tangledweb pointed out, a new pair of jeans is going to be awfully stiff and uncomfortable. Heavier, thicker breeches will do just as well. There aren't any rules that say you cannot wear breeches in a western saddle, even if you might get some funny looks. I'd definitely bring the half chaps as well.
        bar.ka think u al.l. susp.ect
        free bar.ka and tidy rabbit

Comment

Wear what YOUR body is comfortable wearing.
          ... _. ._ .._. .._

Comment

The Q-baby Wrangler jeans are fantastic - and that comes from a girl who would *never* think of wearing jeans to ride for 18 years! They are comfortable, wash great, and are meant for riding.They have an elastic panel on the inside to prevent any 'coin-slottage' in the back. They look good on the ground too. In fact, I've started switching over to Q-babies for my regular, non-barn day activities.

Give them a try. As a strictly English-only girl for 19 years I started working at a barn that was 99% Western. Depending on the western saddle's construction, breeches and western isn't a whole lot of fun. (Especially if the seat is suede. It may stain or rub your breeches...)

Comment

Went through a year of Western lessons in knee-patch riding tights and paddock boots. Much more comfortable than jeans IMHO. I think full-seats would be overkill, though.

Comment

Get some knee patch tights from Saddlebums. I wouldn't wear jeans I hadn't ridden in a lot and found to be comfortable for that long a trek.

Comment

I ride in Cruel Girl jeans, they are spendier but I get the ones with some stretch to them. I also LOVE the AURA line from Wrangler. I just bought two new pairs, and once they are a little older I'll use them as riding jeans. They fit real woman, without looking frumpy :-)
                  Foaling Around www.facebook.com/foalingaround
                  Custom Equestrian Items and Bath Products

Comment

Who says you can't wear breeches in a Western Saddle???? It was certainly good enough for Ronald Regan!!!!!

Wear what makes you comfortable. If the guide sniggers introduce him to that famous American expression "look into my eye!"

G.
                    Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

I ride in a western saddle in jeans or breeches (knee patch riding tights really). You should at least take the breeches along so you can switch if you are uncomfortable or if one item gets wet (riding in jeans = no problem. Riding in wet jeans = horrible.) With either I wear half chaps, which help a lot when going through brush so you don't get poked and snagged by brambles. The velcro-closure suede half chaps are easy to put on over jeans or breeches, and roll up small to fit in a suitcase.

Comment

I ride in the stretchy Levis and full chaps--the 515s, I think--and I like them a lot. But if you're used to britches and half chaps, I'd go with that. Either way, though, I'd get a pair of these: http://www.bitofbritain.com/Equestri...ins_p/0288.htm

You can wear them under jeans or over britches, and they make a huge difference. I find that if I ride for a long time (paper chase or xc school, or just multiple horses/day etc) in half chaps, I get bruises where the stirrup leather crosses my leg. These help a lot to prevent both rubs and bruises. Totally worth it.

I have wide-ish calves and wear the M.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you all for the advice! This is my plan -- I purchased several pairs of the Wrangler Q Baby jeans and will try one out in the saddle this week. My hunch is they will be fine (the material is already washed and soft, the jeans have some stretch, and there's no major inner seam).

I'll also bring a pair of basic breeches and my half-chaps... just in case.

And, I will be bringing my own helmet (Tipperary -- easy care and super comfy).

And lots of Advil...

Comment

The U.S. Cavalry rode in boots and breeches. If it weren't practical and durable, they wouldn't have done it. I personally prefer gear made specifically for riding (i.e., boots and breeches) to jeans with those horrible seams rubbing your legs. Although, when I was younger and DID ride in jeans, it was nice to not have to shave the inside of my legs, as the hair was all worn off.

Comment

My husband suggests full chaps over a lighter cottony pant.

He says "cowboys always wore chaps to keep rubs to a minimum." He also says that the most comfortable thing he's ridden in was blue jeans, tall boots, and full chaps. He says it sounds weird but for all day riding it was great. *eta* he was very interested in this thread.... and wanted me to share his opinion with all of you gals. ;-)

I've ridden western quite a bit in just jeans (Silvers usually) and been very comfortable. The only place I've ever gotten a pinch was at the top of my cowboy boot, and I wasn't wearing chaps.

Comment

What they may have meant - given I live in NZ - is that it will be getting cooler and your breeches may simply not cut the mustard as per warmth. IN a "few weeks", we will be heading into autumn. In the SI, you will be going into what we know as "the high country" (well, the low foothills of the high country anyway ). I would check as to why - as well as dressing the top of you in layers as the temperature can change over quite a wide range. Eg today (it is summer) in the Wairarapa (south North Island) it has ranged from 10 deg Celsius at 5am through 20 deg C (9am), 30 deg C (12pm) and has just (on my temp guage) dipped to 22 deg at 7pm. Inland, away from the sea (which is never that far really here), the temp variation is about the same.

Comment

Macys has a wonderful brand of jeans -- Style & Co. They are very comfortable with a little bit of stretch, and I have ridden in them comfortably frequently.
                                  Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
                                  Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Comment

• Original Poster

UPDATE!

Thumbs up for Wrangler Q Baby jeans. I wore them for all five days of my trek in New Zealand and they were perfect. We did some pretty rough riding and went through thorny brush and had long days in the saddle (Australian stock saddle). My legs were completely protected and I never had even the hint of a rub.

And then they doubled as my every-day jeans for the remaining three weeks of my trip!

Thanks to all for your suggestions!

Comment

Glad you enjoyed it! Good tourists are always welcome down here . So where did you go - ie which of the long treking places?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Still Workingonit View Post
                                        Glad you enjoyed it! Good tourists are always welcome down here . So where did you go - ie which of the long treking places?
                                        I ended up doing a 5-day trek with Hurunui Horse Treks. It was really great! I had a lovely Connemara mare who was very keen and very fit. We saw some amazing country and did some challenging rides. The hosts that we stayed with at the two sheep stations were very kind and hospitable and we were fed really well. I had this idea that maybe I could try to lose some weight over the five days, what with spending 5+ hours in the saddle, but not a chance!

Towards the end of my stay in NZ I did a half-day ride at Dart Stables outside of Queenstown. It was a bit disappointing in that my horse was a bit sour, but the guide was great and the ride was nicely fast-paced.

I love New Zealand!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X