• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Forget the heated water buckets! This works!!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Forget the heated water buckets! This works!!

I am so tickled, I just have to share. I have three stalls in my little barn, running water and electricity ... but not hot water and only minimal electricity. Plus, King just turned 29 -- and he never did grow a heavy winter coat. Let's just say he does not "do" winter very well! Consequently, the boys get pulled in overnight when it's bitterly cold. And this winter has been a real bear!

So, this has meant that we haul hot water out at 10 p.m. to refill water buckets, and then literally run out first thing in the morning to pull their water buckets, which have turned into solid ice by morning. We take each water bucket out to the heated trough outside, set it in the trough to defrost, dump the ice cube as soon as it loosens, then refill the bucket with fresh water. When we turn the horses out, we dump the left-over fresh water into the water trough outside and leave the buckets empty inside all day so they won't freeze up.

Well ... I have DREAMED of getting an electrician out here to safely install heated water buckets for each stall ... but money is tight, and I am afraid of the fire hazard, too.

Then I found these http://www.wildangelcozy.com/ -- a water bucket cozy! Like a beer cozy, only for flat-back water buckets! At around $30 each, I ordered three and hoped for the best.

OMG!!! These things are fabulous! Temps last night were hovering around zero-degrees (F), havent' climbed over freezing for at least 48 hours ... horses still have nice, liquid water in their buckets -- not even any ice floaties! And, the really great thing is that King drank his bucket almost empty last night! He is so picky, if the water gets too cold, he will not touch it! We filled his bucket with warm water last night at around 8 p.m., by this morning at 9 a.m., he still had liquid, drinkable water in his bucket!

I am so happy to have found something that actually WORKS as advertised, saves me a ton of time and labor, and gets my old guy to DRINK! Yay!

Great to know!
    I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
    I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

I am so going to have to order this!! Thanks for posting!!!

Comment

How do you think they would hold up to a hay dipper? I mean, is the top removeable completely so it could be laundered occassionally? I have two who would respect it and one who would likely trash it.
        Life is what happens while you are busy making other plans

Comment

• Original Poster

SmartAlex -- yes the top is completely removable, in fact, it's all completely removable and can be brought in and laundered. The top is actually optional, you don't HAVE to use it if your weather is not as bitter. I wondered if everybody would figure out how to drink through the hole, but they had no problems whatsoever.

Comment

Or you could do what I did, aptly named The Bucket 'o Goo (patent pending).

I bought a $4.99 bucket from TSC that was slightly bigger than my water bucket, filled it 60% with spray foam insulation, then set my water bucket inside it which caused the spray foam to fill in most of the gaps up to the top. I let that cure then made a wooden top to cover the edge of both buckets, screwed it on, sanded the edges smooth for Her Higness, and voila! Insulated bucket. Works great up here in the far north, isn't heavy and I can still clean it out. My next project, to create a lid that goes halfway across with some sort of water-proof, thermal fabric to hold even more heat in.
            The only problem is that if you do fill it part way with hot water, it steams for so long, she won't go near it 'cause she thinks her water bucket is on fire!

Editted to add it cost me about $25.00 but I already had the water bucket.
            NJR
            Last edited by Nojacketrequired; Jan. 29, 2010, 11:41 AM. Reason: adding price
            Your beliefs don't make you a better person, your behaviour does.

Comment

NJR, that is stone cold genius. You have invented the horse thermos! Quick, I smell business opportunity! And www.horsethermos.com hasn't been taken yet. Hmmmmmmmm.....
              I tolerate all kinds of animal idiosyncrasies.
              I've found that I don't tolerate people idiosyncrasies as well. - Casey09

Comment

OK, we'll try it. The Grey Horse loves to do product testing...Now if I can only figure out where he hid my handy dandy blocker ring.

Comment

My BO up in CT created something along those lines, but without a cover, he took milk crates, put the bucket in the crate, lined with insulation and duct tape over any exposed insulation, and hung the milk crate on the wall. Worked pretty well.

I think I have seen some insulated water buckets on the market also:

http://www.horsestalls.com/waterers.htm

They do have a hefty price tag on them, so kudos to those of you that have come up with a more economical solution to the problem.
                  There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

Two good ideas in one post! I like it!
                    Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
                    Incredible Invisible

Comment

• Original Poster

I am always envious of those of you who are handy and can figure out how to do these things yourself! But for those of us who are handiness-challenged (or time-challenged!) I think the cozy is a great (inexpensive) solution!

I also like that I can take these cozies off in the spring, wash 'em with the horse blankets and store them all, along with the trough heater, until next winter!

I read someone on CoTH who insulated her buckets herself with foam and duct tape. That's what gave me the idea to search online for insulated water buckets ... and that's how I found the cozies!

Comment

I've been using the Wild Cozies for about a month now. We've had weather that was "warm" and above 25 degrees so I haven't needed them but NOW I do. Highs of ten and lows in the singles are just perfect for the cozy.

They are great! I haven't attached the top yet as my horses and goats are still in the learning stage.

My mule wouldn't drink out of a bucket with a cozy on . She was sure there was something wrong with it. The others are not bothered by the cozy.

So far the goats and my wee mini boy haven't played with the cozies either, which is a bonus.

Comment

KR - that is brilliant!

I have heated buckets, going on 6yo, but I sure would not mind shaving my utility bill some
                          Like SmartAlex I have a dunker, but I'd gladly launder the top to keep him in cheaper unfrozen water
                          *friend of bar.ka*RIP all my lovely boys, gone too soon:
                          Steppin' Out 1988-2004
                          Hey Vern! 1982-2009, Cash's Bay Threat 1994-2009
                          Sam(Jaybee Altair) 1994-2015

Comment

Originally posted by Nojacketrequired View Post

... filled it 60% with spray foam insulation, then set my water bucket inside it which caused the spray foam to fill in most of the gaps up to the top....
                            Am I understanding correctly that this foam stuff is pliable enough that you can squirt a pile of it in the bigger bucket, then push the water bucket into the foam to make the "nest", and the foam shifts and oozes up the space between the sides of the buckets?

I've been dabbling with a similar idea (but I understand it has to be done under somewhat warm temps so didn't get to it this year) but assumed that I'd have to have the two layers positioned and then spray the foam to fill the space between.

I want to start my project as soon as spring hits so it's DONE and I don't have to think about it when winter rolls around.

Comment

Interesting, but for less than $200 at Home Depot you can buy an "under the sink" tankless, 110v water heater. It just plugs into a regular 110v outlet. They work well enough (we have one in our trailer). Figure another $25 for installation parts and you never have to carry a bucket of hot water again.

Others looking for a low cost solution might want to check this out before buying "bucket coozies."

G.
                              Mangalarga Marchador: Uma Raça, Uma Paixão

Comment

You are brilliant!

I bought a $4.99 bucket from TSC that was slightly bigger than my water bucket, filled it 60% with spray foam insulation, then set my water bucket inside it which caused the spray foam to fill in most of the gaps up to the top. I let that cure then made a wooden top to cover the edge of both buckets, screwed it on, sanded the edges smooth for Her Higness, and voila! Insulated bucket. Works great up here in the far north, isn't heavy and I can still clean it out. My next project, to create a lid that goes halfway across with some sort of water-proof, thermal fabric to hold even more heat in.
                                The only problem is that if you do fill it part way with hot water, it steams for so long, she won't go near it 'cause she thinks her water bucket is on fire!

NJR

Comment

Originally posted by Guilherme View Post
                                  Interesting, but for less than $200 at Home Depot you can buy an "under the sink" tankless, 110v water heater. It just plugs into a regular 110v outlet. They work well enough (we have one in our trailer). Figure another $25 for installation parts and you never have to carry a bucket of hot water again.

Others looking for a low cost solution might want to check this out before buying "bucket coozies."

G.
                                  KR needed a solution to frozen buckets and does not have power in her barn.

Comment

my husband is in the middle of installing one of those $200 heaters for the bathroom so we don't have to waste 2 gallons of water just to wash our hands in warm water. So far it has been two days of running around to multiple hardware store to get just the right materials. Then, the basement ghost disassembled the supplies and hid one of the fittings so he had to go running again. Plus the joy of soldering over his head...

I can just imagine... "Honey, can I get one for the barn too?" OR some outlets right outside the stalls, and a hole drilled through the stall fronts...

So, I just shelled out $100 for three bucket cozys.

$100 for bucket cozys plus shipping

Cost of keeping Mr. Smartalex out of the barn ... priceless (or close to it)

He's sort of like Tim the Toolman. Actually, his name is Tim Remember the episode when he decided to add a second sink to the bathroom and ended up destroying the house?

Comment

• Original Poster

A tankless water heater wouldn't help me in this situation -- not that I wouldn't LOVE to have hot water in the barn! Well, actually I already have hot water in the barn ... I carry it out there every night in a big bucket!

My issue is not having hot water. My issue is having the water in the bucket not freeze overnight while the horses are in the stalls. Hot water in the barn would not solve my problem unless it ran continuously into each of my three horses' water buckets! Sort of like a fountain ... now this sounds like a lovely idea, but not entirely practical!

My water source in the barn is a frost-free hydrant. I love my frost-free hydrant, (dear frost free hydrant, if you're listening, please please do not think that I am in any way criticizing you!) however -- having a frost-free hydrant is a long ways from having running water to a tank-less water heater! I mean, it's a long ways money-wise! Especially in a land where water is freezing in the buckets ... let alone the pipes!

I spent $100 to insulate three buckets, and if that solves my problem, that is by far the cheapest, safest, and lowest-maintenance thing I could have personally done (kudos to all you guys can do it yourself for less money ... I am talking about me personally and all of my thumbs!)

Comment

• Original Poster

NJR
                                        That is sooo cool! I am so inept, though, I know there is no way I could have ever cut that big circle-thing out of wood. Oh, sometimes I sit around here watching HGTV and think I can do those things ... I even own a power-nailer because they look so easy to use on TV! However, when I actually try to fix or build something around here, my writer husband and I usually consider ourselves very lucky to escape with all of our appendages!

Comment

Working...
                                        X