• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

It appears my horse is homeless...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• It appears my horse is homeless...

So I literally just got an email from the BO where my horse lives. She is a close friend and I've been keeping my horse there for free, I just go out and take care of feeding, mucking, and turnout after work. My horse is retired and just hangs out. She's healthy, just in her 20's and done working for me.

Anyway, I just received an email that she and her husband are separating, and she can't afford the farm, so I need to find a new home for my horse. I have no idea where to even start looking. I really don't want to have to give her away, but I'm not in a financial position to keep her anywhere that I know of in the area. I could squeeze by for a couple of months, but I need to come up with a long term solution. It doesn't have to be free, I certainly can come up with board, especially if I can find somewhere that's self care.

I'm in the Pittsburgh area, and need to find something apparently in a hurry. So can any COTHer's offer some help? Suggestions? Ideas?

Thanks guys! And please don't take this as a whine. I'm not whining. I am fully aware of how good I have had it the last 2 years. I'm just looking for some help to come up with a plan.
    Strong promoter of READING the entire post before responding.

Craigslist. At least on my local one, there are always postings about private backyard barns looking for a boarder or two.

Comment

Network, network, network. Ask vet, farrier, any local trainers you know (I don't have so many boarders, but most have come from two local trainers), get on the pony club email list and ask them, ask at the tack shop or feed store . . . you get the idea. Good luck -- I have a feeling with your good attitude and care for your horse you will find a good situation.
      https://www.facebook.com/SugarMapleFarm
      Follow us on Instagram: https://www.instagram.com/peonyvodka/
      www.PeonyVodka.com

Comment

Agreed on networking. Call all the local vets, the local farriers, go to all the local feedstores and ask around, check out the bulletin board at Tractor Supply and Farm and Fleet. Check the newspaper even!

Good luck in your search, hope you find something that's doable financially and good for your horse.
        Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

Not to sound cruel, but if they are separating and she can't afford the farm, what does that mean? Is she moving out? Selling? What is her timeline? Is there any possibilty of a reconciliation? The husband taking over the farm? How do you get along with him?

Anyway, like SMF11 says. And good luck.
          Courageous Weenie Eventer Wannabe
          Incredible Invisible

Comment

• Original Poster

Craigslist is an excellent idea. I'll check it out tonight and throw a post of my own on there.

As far as any hope of reconciliation, etc, I have no idea. That's her personal business, and if she doesn't offer, I'm not going to pry. She just said they're separating, she's looking for somewhere to board her horse, we need to find a home for the pony, and I need to come up with something for my horse. The husband is not horse savy and if he keeps the farm, keeping her there is not an option. I don't know if they are selling or if she's just moving out, but with her looking for somewhere to board her horse, she certainly isn't planning on staying there.

I'm the only boarder, so it wouldn't make sense for her husband to keep it, even for a side business. Like I said, I don't pay anything. There are only 2 stalls, and no riding facilities.

I'll just start calling people and looking around. Like I said, I have some emergency money saved, and could get by for a few months before I reached a point of total desperation. There has to be something out there, and it may be for the better. As it is, I'm driving over an hour each way to get out there to feed, and there are certainly farms a lot closer to home for me.

Comment

Some of the best barns I have found have been by just driving around and stopping in. You might try that.

Comment

And I wouldn't rule out offering barn chore services in exhange for board. Many places are looking for part-time workers, someone who can fill in on the regular's day off, vacation, watching the place when they are at shows, etc. Since you've been doing that reliably already, you may be be a BO's dream for fill-in services.

Comment

Jingles for you and your horse ~ that is a very stressful situation to find one's self in at this time of year. Good Luck ~ surely someone needs some barn help in exchange for boarding your mare.
                  Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

• Original Poster

That is what I am hoping. I am reliable and do have references. My mare's not a touble maker, and just needs a place to crash.

I just got a phone call from the BO stating that nothing is for certain and they just had an argument last night and it was mentioned in the heat of the argument. Well that was not what was relayed in the 4 sentence email she sent to me this morning saying they are separating and she's selling the farm and I need to move my horse.

So now I'm really irritated. I've been there for over 2 years and this is the first time anything like this has happened, but I'm going to start looking regardless. I can't live with that kind of uncertainty. Rather than the short and sweet email sent to me at work, maybe just mentioning to me tomorrow when I'm there that they have been having problems and she's not sure what direction their relationship is going to take in the coming months, would have been more appropriate.

I'm half their age and feel like the only adult. She said she's looking at boarding options, just in case they have to sell the farm. At least now I know my horse is in no immediate danger of being homeless and I have time to find the right situation for the 2 of us. I should ask them to give their Christmas presents back and send them to marriage counseling instead.

Comment

Well, while it's of little consolation to you, please understand that when people are in very emotionally charged/stressful situations, they tend to make some snap decisions. If she's your friend, be a little patient...but I'd still be looking for an alternative situation for your horse. At least for right now, you might have a little more time than you thought first thing this a.m. But chances are that one way or another, you're going to need alternate arrangements.

((hugs)) sucks.

Anyway...I've found good situations by door knocking. Leased a farm for awhile for cheap. I did all the work/bought all the supplies...but it was inexpensive.

Also..posting on CL. Or looking on the boards at the tack/feed store.

Agree w/ talking to vet/farrier too.

Good luck!
                      A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
                        Well, while it's of little consolation to you, please understand that when people are in very emotionally charged/stressful situations, they tend to make some snap decisions. If she's your friend, be a little patient...but I'd still be looking for an alternative situation for your horse. At least for right now, you might have a little more time than you thought first thing this a.m. But chances are that one way or another, you're going to need alternate arrangements.

((hugs)) sucks.

Anyway...I've found good situations by door knocking. Leased a farm for awhile for cheap. I did all the work/bought all the supplies...but it was inexpensive.

Also..posting on CL. Or looking on the boards at the tack/feed store.

Agree w/ talking to vet/farrier too.

Good luck!
                        Been there, done that. I was in a self-care boarding situation for years at a farm where several times a year the property owner would say "I'm closing up the barn - everyone has to get out" (usually after we called her because something on the barn was broken). Then one day, we all did find another barn and moved out. And she had the nerve to ask us why?

We found another farm with an empty barn and field, made an offer to the owners, and they gladly let us move in. It was a win/win, they got to see lovely horses grazing all day long, and we got the use of the barn and pasture for a very small fee (enough to cover the owners electric and insurance). And they never complained if we did ask the husband to fix something, he liked to tinker.
                        There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

Boy if you lived by me I'd say come on over! You can help me muck any day

I am sure the answer is close by. i am sorry your friend is going through this. What a difficult time for her and her family. Best wishes for wonderful affordable new digs for your horse!
                          "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

And maybe she was just trying to get a "heads up".

When Mr. FlightCheck and I decided to sell the farm, we gave all of the boarders a "heads up" as soon as we made the decision.

We also thought it would take months to sell.

It sold in 3 days, with a caveat that we had to be out in 30 days.

So perhaps she just wanted you to know that things are not rock solid, so as not to catch you off guard?

Comment

• Original Poster

I certainly sympathize with her and feel badly they are having trouble. And I will always be there to be a shoulder for her, and to talk to, and to help in anyway that I can, BUT from a horse owner standpoint, I need my horse to be somewhere that's stable, and to not be stuck in the position of needing to move her at a moments notice. I know nothing in life is certain, but I have a feeling this is just the start of a long process in her life and I don't want to get caught in the crossfires.

SO, Bailey is not homeless, but she should think about packing.

Comment

Originally posted by FindersKeepers View Post
                                That is what I am hoping. I am reliable and do have references. My mare's not a touble maker, and just needs a place to crash.

I just got a phone call from the BO stating that nothing is for certain and they just had an argument last night and it was mentioned in the heat of the argument. Well that was not what was relayed in the 4 sentence email she sent to me this morning saying they are separating and she's selling the farm and I need to move my horse.

So now I'm really irritated. I've been there for over 2 years and this is the first time anything like this has happened, but I'm going to start looking regardless. I can't live with that kind of uncertainty. Rather than the short and sweet email sent to me at work, maybe just mentioning to me tomorrow when I'm there that they have been having problems and she's not sure what direction their relationship is going to take in the coming months, would have been more appropriate.

I'm half their age and feel like the only adult. She said she's looking at boarding options, just in case they have to sell the farm. At least now I know my horse is in no immediate danger of being homeless and I have time to find the right situation for the 2 of us. I should ask them to give their Christmas presents back and send them to marriage counseling instead.
                                Don't be so hard on her for the email. Unless you walk in their shoes you don't know what the argument was like. It was quite likely that when they were having the argument that she decided to move out and knee jerk reaction was to email you. It's nothing to do with being an adult or not, people don't think clearly when so much emotion is involved. You will feel this at some time in your life, if you haven't already. Having said that, there are obviously issues, and it would be wise to look for an alternative, even if you don't move immediately. Like the others say, networking, craigslist and driving around would seem like your best bets. I would absolutely drive up to a private farm if they look like they have fat, healthy horses and see if they are interested. I would be totally delighted to board someone else's horse here in return for having a bunch of work done.

Comment

One last thought ... please don't take offense when one of those farm owners essentially says "hell no, i've made that mistake before". Sadly, there are horse owners out there who will promise a BO the world, and maybe even provide whats agreed for a week or three...long enough to get the horse settled in...then do nothing or make more work for the BO, and are hard to get out. So some folks will be gunshy even though YOU know YOU are not that type of horse person, they don't know that....

(I took over a nightmare situation when I was in High School, earning board for my horse in turn for working at the facility. The last teenager they had allowed to do so, it turned out, was abusing the horses, only grained the ones she liked, and was "putting that mean stallion in time out" -- which in english means she was sticking him in what was supposed to be a storage area -- a completely black box with no bedding etc -- to "teach him to behave himself." This was the kindest stallion you will ever meet, who softly nickered when his mares came in or out of the barn....

Part of our starting agreement was that, for the first year, the BO didn't allow me on the property unless she was in the barn and could see me and what I was doing. After about 3 weeks, I had full run of the place, and by 2 months was sleeping over on friday and saturday nights....but it had taken A LOT to talk her into even giving us a try after what her horses had been through previously....)
                                  AnnMarie Cross, Pres, Crosswinds Equine Rescue, cwer.org
                                  Sidell IL (near Champ./UofI/Danville IL/IN state border)

Comment

Two other thoughts:

#1 Ask BO to write a letter of reference, describing your work habits, good care of the horses, etc. This probably would be really helpful for new BO's to feel comfortable taking you in.
                                    Thought #2: if this is a real friend of yours, is that while you're calling around for low-cost boarding, maybe ask if they have room for 2 horses. If you find something good, let your friend know about it and the 2 could move together (she pays her half, of course). With everything going on in her life, that might be an emotional lifesaver for her.
                                    I can't tell from your post, but it sounds like you are not / never been married. If I'm wrong, just disregard the next sentence, but otherwise please don't discount the incredible stress and grief that a separation / divorce can cause. It's ranked right up there with death of a loved one.
                                    Last edited by HungarianHippo; Jan. 5, 2010, 12:15 PM. Reason: plum fergot sumthin

Comment

Yes yes yes, definitely ask for a reference letter. That can only help your situation.

As for people in emotional states doing rash things...pft. I'm not saying it doesn't happen, but seriously, that's not an excuse.
                                      COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Originally posted by FindersKeepers View Post

I'm in the Pittsburgh area, and need to find something apparently in a hurry. So can any COTHer's offer some help? Suggestions? Ideas?
                                        There is an ad in the Horse of Delaware Valley classified section offering what seems to me to be inexpensive board north of Pittsburgh. I know nothing about the area but it might be worth a look. Here is the link to the page. The ad is about halfway down in the boarding and training section.

http://www.horsedelval.com/classfd.htm#clcode140
                                        "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple” – Barry Switzer

Comment

Working...
                                        X