• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Living in Palm Beach with Horses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Living in Palm Beach with Horses?

I might have a job opportunity in the West Palm Beach area in the next year.

It is 19* F outside where I am right now, and I hate cold weather, so I think my ability to objectively weigh the pros and cons of living in Florida with a horse is non existent.

I would have to board my horse for the first couple of years I am there, are there places with lots of turnout? Does it really get that hot in the summer? Do the cockroaches really get big enough to carry away small ponies?

I've heard all these crazy things about how there's no pasture and all the horses just wilt in the summer. I know I need to get out there to look for myself, but unfortuantely when I've gone to that area in the past, I've never really gotten a chance to check out the horsey parts of town.

So I need the down and dirty scoop on living with horses in South Florida! Tell me the good, the bad, and the ugly.

I honestly don't know much about the horse scene in south Florida, but it does get brutally hot and humid for at least 4 months out of the year.

From the human perspective, housing costs are very high there, and it is crowded with people. My in-laws lived there for 20 years, and moved up north here with us to get away from the madness.

I'm much happier in north/central Florida. Yes it gets hot here, but not crowded with cranky people, and not as expensive to live.

You can also join FlaHorse BB and see if anyone there can share their experiences with the horse scene down there.

Found this with some listings of boarding stables in the West Palm Beach area:

http://www.newhorse.com/page/horsebo...10.g.4558.html
    There are friends and faces that may be forgotten, but there are horses that never will be. - Andy Adams

Comment

We lived there for 14 years with horses and loved it. The grass grows year-round so as long as it is fertilized and not overgrazed, you'll have nice pasture. There are some very nice boarding barns, but the prices may be more than you presently pay. Look west of Palm Beach in the Wellington area. There is lots of horse activity north of Palm Beach in the Jupiter area. Definitely check in to the Florida Horse Page - a very active Bulletin Board. The weather is hot in the summer, but because of the proximity of the ocean, you always have breezes. I find the summer in North Central Florida much hotter, much more humidity, and more oppresive. All the feed and hay is imported to South Florida, so you will find the prices higher. There are too many people, cars, etc. but they are there because the weather is so lovely. Some of the people may seem somewhat self-absorbed, but horse-people are always fun. There are great horse shows, even greater tack stores, and lots of nice places to ride. The trees don't get very tall, so you won't get much shade, there are big cockroaches, now and then a hurricane, but I think you'll have a great time with your horses.

Comment

Palm trees, year round sun, no frozen water buckets?

I would pummel you if you didn't go....
        ...don't sh** where you eat...

Comment

Thanks for the Florida BB tip! I just moved to Orlando from the SF Bay Area (without my horse) and am poking around for the appropriate activities.
          *=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=*=

Comment

I lived in Jupiter Fl- Palm beach county
            for 15 years before I moved to Gainesville for school. MY horse is still down south. Its possible to find big turnount pastures but most of the barns I have been to have small paddocks. As for summer, yes its HOT! But not unbearable. My horse stands in his stall with his fans on all day and get hosed off whenever he is sweaty. I live in the farms/woodsy part of Jupiter and the cockroaches aren't THAT bad I have houses in tennessee and north carolina and my family owns a dairy center in vermont, so I have ridden in different states and by far Florida is my favorite. I will never leave. It has the best horse shows, best tack stores, best show grounds. Its perfect! I miss being so close to WEF. It used to be a 30 min drive to watch WEF and now I am 4 hours away!

Comment

I just came back to VA from living in West Palm Beach. I never saw any cockroaches. Yes, it is VERY hot in the summer, but its the humidity that kills you. But I loved waking up any time and knowing that when I went outside it would be warm. I'm just grateful VA is making a run of nice weather to help me acclimate back- we're still wearing short sleeves!

The horse scene is incredible. All through the winter months, going to Wellington was my saving grace. It was incredible, after so long reading about these things, to just BE there, every weekend. If I think too hard about how incredible Wellington is, I will get on a plane right now.

It is very expensive to live in West Palm, although not to live in some other parts of Palm Beach County. There is traffic, but I don't find it as bad as NOVA. Mind you don't put yourself in a position to commute on 95 during rush hour! That will do you in.

I'm guessing from the lack of mention that kids are not in the picture- if so, be very careful about the school district you choose in PBC.

When I flew into the Palm Beach airport, I could see my roof, right on the water. Oh, WPB....
              <><

Comment

Sorry to hijack, but how hot is northern Florida? I always hear about how hot southern FL is, but never northern FL! I can't take another IL/WI winter .
                "I think animal testing is a terrible idea, they get all nervous and give silly answers."
                -fry & laurie

Comment

Born there, left there, came back with horses, left again, wouldn't go back if someone paid me. Blecchhh.
                  In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                  A life lived by example, done too soon.
                  www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

Originally posted by spaceagevalkyrie View Post
                    Sorry to hijack, but how hot is northern Florida? I always hear about how hot southern FL is, but never northern FL! I can't take another IL/WI winter .
                    Moved from Live Oak (near Lake City) as it gets too cold in the winter there for these old bones. Highs in the mid 90s in the summer, lows in the low 20s in the winter.

My farm will eventually go into foreclosure up there (10 acres, house, pool) so keep an eye on Bank of America's web site. It's pretty grown up now and the pool is so green you can walk on it, but BOA refuses to work with us and we've already discharged it in bankruptcy.
                    Everybody lies - Gregory House, M.D.

Comment

I'm in the next county south of Pam Beach - Broward and have many friends in Palm Beach. Lots of good info so far. More turnout is available in Palm Beach as there are some pretty rural areas - Loxahatchee, Jupiter, Caloosa Equestrian Center, Deer Run, White Fences and of course Wellington.

Tons of horses in Fla in fact it ranks 3rd in the Nation especially in the winter time. I just went camping this past weekend and ran my AC Sat night as it was a bit hot.

Summer is brutal but we all have AC and fans for the horses. But from Nov - early April we have the BEST weather in the world... while the rest of you are freezing your patooties off!

I'm in an active trail riding club and we day ride year round and camp from Oct - April. Ocala is also very nice and I would prefer to be up there, but work keeps me down here. someday

Comment

Originally posted by spaceagevalkyrie View Post
                        It gets a little chilly up in N. Florida, but not excessively so. No snow (except on the rare once-in-several-decades minor flurry). Average winter temps for the Gainesville area, for example, are around 50F to 30F. Summers in the 90F to 70F range.

It'll always be cooler than the W. Palm/Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area, which is basically sub-tropical.

Personally, although I'm stuck in central Florida, I far prefer northern Florida. The woods are absolutely beautiful, the weather is a little milder, and there's a touch of elevation to the terrain--not as flat as the more southern portions of our state. Plus, there are some absolutely amazing springs and spring-fed rivers (the Ichetucknee was always my favorite--an ex of mine grew up within walking distance of it). There's a better attitude up there sometimes, too.. people are more Old Florida, with the slow, calm country courtesy which is lacking in the more touristy areas in the central-to-southern parts of the state.

Also... N. Florida has easier access to the excellent equine veterinary facilities in Gainesville.
                        The Western Adventures of Loki, a Florida Swampdog in Los Angeles

Comment

Our winter barn is in West Palm Beach- I'm there twice a year to drive the horses down in late November and to pick them back up at the beginning of April. While its pretty for those couple of days, no way would I live there! Last April 2nd, I flew down to bring the horses home and it was 90 degrees when I landed (at 9:00PM!!!!!!!) The pasture is nice, green all year round- but there doesn't seem to be that much of it.
                          I'm good at being uncomfortable so I can't stop changing all the time -Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine
                          If I were your appendages, I'd hold open your eyes so you would see- Incubus

Comment

90 at 9 pm at night in April? Bit of an exaggeration there.... We did have a beastly summer 95 for many days and it only gets down to 85 at night, but that is from July - Sept, not April.

Fla is very humid and that is what makes it much hotter and uncomfortable. I do hate the summers here, but I think I would hate winters more up north dealing with the snow, ice, and freezing temperatures. It all depends on what you are used to and can adapt to.

From Nov - early April, the weather is wonderful. Yesterday it was a high of 77 in Wellington and a low of 71. How nice is that?

We have grass year round, however many people put too many horses on too little land, good pasture management makes all the difference.

Comment

for the OP,

are you a hunter/jumper type or dressage type ? either, I can recommend some barns in Loxahatchee, that is where our barn's winter barn is. Good turn-out, less expensive than Wellington (I would think; especially if you want to buy a place), just 15-20 minutes to WEF, and very easy drive to West palm

considering just horses, I would live there is a heartbeat.

Comment

Originally posted by dixiedolphin View Post
                                It'll always be cooler than the W. Palm/Ft. Lauderdale/Miami area, which is basically sub-tropical.
                                Actually, the southern part of the state is tropical, not sub-tropical.

Personally, although I'm stuck in central Florida, I far prefer northern Florida. The woods are absolutely beautiful, the weather is a little milder, and there's a touch of elevation to the terrain--not as flat as the more southern portions of our state. Plus, there are some absolutely amazing springs and spring-fed rivers (the Ichetucknee was always my favorite--an ex of mine grew up within walking distance of it). There's a better attitude up there sometimes, too.. people are more Old Florida, with the slow, calm country courtesy which is lacking in the more touristy areas in the central-to-southern parts of the state.
                                Ditto this. If ever I moved back to FL, it would be in the north. Better show experience than down south - Ocala and Jacksonville are better and less expensive than WEF - and the topography is much, MUCH more appealing. Also a great jumping-off point for the Gulfport series of shows.

Also... N. Florida has easier access to the excellent equine veterinary facilities in Gainesville.
                                This, too.
                                In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                                A life lived by example, done too soon.
                                www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

Originally posted by ESG View Post
                                  Actually, the southern part of the state is tropical, not sub-tropical.
                                  Well, technically the "tropics" are bounded by the Tropic of Cancer & Tropic of Capricorn. The Tropic of Cancer passes just below Florida, so we don't count as tropical, strictly by the book.

But it's still hot as heck here!

Ditto this. If ever I moved back to FL, it would be in the north. Better show experience than down south - Ocala and Jacksonville are better and less expensive than WEF - and the topography is much, MUCH more appealing. Also a great jumping-off point for the Gulfport series of shows.
                                  Absolutely.. there's some beautiful land between Gainesville and Ocala along I-75 that would be easy access to all the good equine venues in the state. Ahh... I can dream.
                                  The Western Adventures of Loki, a Florida Swampdog in Los Angeles

Comment

Originally posted by Heart's Journey View Post
                                    90 at 9 pm at night in April? Bit of an exaggeration there.... We did have a beastly summer 95 for many days and it only gets down to 85 at night, but that is from July - Sept, not April.

Fla is very humid and that is what makes it much hotter and uncomfortable. I do hate the summers here, but I think I would hate winters more up north dealing with the snow, ice, and freezing temperatures. It all depends on what you are used to and can adapt to.

From Nov - early April, the weather is wonderful. Yesterday it was a high of 77 in Wellington and a low of 71. How nice is that?

We have grass year round, however many people put too many horses on too little land, good pasture management makes all the difference.
                                    Maybe it was just a ridiculously warm day- but you know how when you land and the pilot gives the "you are now in blah, blah, blah" speech- they definitely said it was 90
                                    I'm good at being uncomfortable so I can't stop changing all the time -Fiona Apple, Extraordinary Machine
                                    If I were your appendages, I'd hold open your eyes so you would see- Incubus

Comment

i live near tampa, just moved here from chicago a year ago. it gets really hot from july to october so be prepared. it was 83 here yesterday. my horse has adjusted pretty well already. i board at a small barn with lots (well a lot for my area) of pasture. it's easier to do all night turnout then during the day. daytime is too hot. in july/august/septemember i tried to ride very early morning or at night after dark. just be careful after dark b/c the mosquitoes are like hummingbirds! cockroaches you learn to deal with. just make sure when you get done hosing your horse off, hose yourself off too!
                                      be kind to your horses mouth!

Comment

Working...
                                      X