• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Finger Lakes' Finest roll call!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• He even has his own pink cross ties? You know only a real man can wear pink.
    Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

• LOL, the cross ties aren't really pink, they're orangey/red... some of the cross ties are that color, some are green, but the ones by his stall are the orange/red/pink. I hadn't even noticed, but how fitting!
      Against My Better Judgement: A blog about my new FLF OTTB
      Do not buy a Volkswagen. I did and I regret it.
      VW sucks.

Comment

• Originally posted by amastrike View Post
        Haha, I love it!

I actually got some video of me riding Bailey today. My wonderful farrier was kind enough to take some. He's had a couple weeks off due to a cut which left him sore, so we're just getting back into work. I really wish I had video of the first time he cantered (which was in this indoor). It was horrendous, lol. Leaping, bucking, legs flailing, haha. Today he was loping around so quietly, so proud of how far he's come!

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=uI5TOK9OTIU&feature=plcp

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=iPkxeB6PsRk&feature=plcp
        <3 Vinnie <3
        1992-2010
        Jackie's Punt ("Bailey") My Finger Lakes Finest Thoroughbred

Comment

• Bailey looks so pleasant! What a good boy!

Today is our one year anniversary D . It's probably just about one year to the hour that I met him, looked him over, saw him jog, and said "I'll take him."
          VW sucks.

Comment

• Bailey looks so pleasant! What a good boy!

Today is our one year anniversary . It's probably just about one year to the hour that I met him, looked him over, saw him jog, and said "I'll take him."
            VW sucks.

Comment

• Well, I think the Honeymoon period is over for Bro and I...

It started this week when I was out riding my other OTTB, Goober. We were just finishing our ride out in the big hay field when I saw Bro out by himself. Not too unusual, he plays when he wants and goes off on his own sometimes. I look again, there's no fence between myself and Bro! He's out happily munching on the alfalfa in the small hayfield next to his 10acre pasture... Quickly call my friend who is mucking stalls, she goes out to fetch him. Then he noticed Goober and I and proceeded to take off towards the road... another frantic call to friend "fyi, he took off towards the road." I can't get to the field from where I'm at, but head off at a trot to go around and see if I can help out at all. Friend catches him after he goes down the road a bit and then sees his buddies behind the gate. No marks on him, no fencing down, so I untack Goobs and ride Bro in the indoor.

Next day, he doesn't even last 30min in turnout before he's found on the wrong side of the gate, hanging with his pasture mates... He's in semi-solitary confinement in the jump field with 3 wood rail fencing as my BO believes he's crawling through the 3 strand electrobraid (he's not the first). A new boarder came this week, a 2y/o appendix colt, who for the first week is going to stay in the wooden fencing. So Bro has a Mini-Me as this little guy is maybe 15h and dark bay as well!

Then we had our first actual lesson last night with my trainer and we shared with another FLF, One Classy Lady, that my friend bought this summer. All seemed to be going well, had some little gymnastics set up and some mini-jump courses that he happily jumped over. I started riding him in adouble jointed baucher last week, as he was really starting to hang on my hands. Trainer wasn't loving it, so we switched back to the french link eggbutt and changed out the standing martingale for a running. He was not a happy camper with the running, not fearful, but just a bit of a princess in front of the fences when I would ask for him to wait and not charge ahead. It was like dealing with a toddler, "me do, me do, ME DO!!!" after we went over once.

Then the mother of all tantrums broke out. We were to make a nice, big left turn after the gymnastic to a small oxer (that he jumped previously). I brought him back to a forward trot after the gymnastic and he proceeded to bulge out right around the turn, just completely ignoring my leg and stick. I did not want to circle, but he got to the jump in such a funky angle that when I tried to manuever him straighter in front of the fence (he could easily step over it), that's when he threw it into reverse. Complete baby moment/tantrum, finally got him moving forward and over the fence, finished the course without issue. Rinse and repeat, almost verbatim. Same bulge, backing into fences, just being a general twerp. Got him galloping around the ring finally, then back to a controlled canter over the offending jump a couple more times. It wasn't all bad, I was grinning like a Cheshire cat as couple of times and got my trainer's little giggle(a good sound!) when he would really get scopey over the new fences!

So we're going to work on transistions some more and getting a little tougher on bending. I've got to get his teeth done and possibly have the chiropractor out as he loves to lean on the left rein and I have to rule out the physical before I start really getting after him. He did pull his "reverse" act on me last week in the outdoor jump field, apparently asking him to do walk-halt halt-walk transistions are hard for his little pea brain. But I did get him through our water complex and he happily and calmly walks through it now! We did end that day popping over his favorite little log which boosted his confidence tenfold, as he was prancing all around the cool out hack we were on like "Look at me! I am sooo awesome!"

Comment

• Heliodoro,

Please see here

tehehe...

FF

Comment

• Originally posted by Friskyflea View Post
                  Heliodoro,

Please see here

tehehe...

FF
                  ROTFLMAO!

Comment

• Originally posted by Friskyflea View Post
                    Heliodoro,

Please see here

tehehe...

FF
                    Change it to 4* and I'll hang it on his stall!

Comment

• Originally posted by Heliodoro View Post
                      My laptop is in need of repairs and that is where all my image editing software is (using my tiny travel netbook, which just has the basics...)... Maybe another CoTHer can take up the cause - it's going to be an easy fix to edit the last line and make it read CCI**** -- it's just a black & white image. Any takers?

FF

Comment

• Originally posted by Heliodoro View Post
                        My laptop is in need of repairs and that is where all my image editing software is (using my tiny travel netbook, which just has the basics...)... Maybe another CoTHer can take up the cause - it's going to be an easy fix to edit the last line and make it read CCI**** -- it's just a black & white image. Any takers?

FF

Comment

• I haven't shared her on this thread before, but I have R Lady in Blue, from 2011. She was purchased by someone else directly from the track at the end of the meet, and I found her on Craigslist in January as a giveaway. She was actually on my short list when looking at FL horses last fall, but gone by the time my trailer was leaving. So when I found her on Craigslist, six hours away, it was too much of a chance second meeting to pass her up.

She got off the trailer mid-Jan in ROUGH shape. Partly just not handling coming down off the track well, and partly just miscare. She hung out all spring as we battled some ulcers and finally started to get some weight on her (didn't help that she would gain weight, and then have a growth spurt, setting us back again!), and then trail rode on a loose rein next to my trail packer all summer. She started real training October 15, and the video below is of her third ride, Nov 3. (After some long-lining sessions.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWFm_tVH0cM

She has continued to progress in leaps and bounds, and hopefully come spring-time, with a larger budget, I will really be able to get her out and competing!

Comment

• Thanks for the wonderful happy update on "Daisy" -- aka R Lady in Blue. It is terrific fate that she found her way to you after a very rough start to her off the track life.
                            She looks great in the video, especially for not much riding. She has a nice frame and tempo, and looks pretty steady in the contact. I think you are going to have a blast -- and much success-- competing her!
                            The Finger Lakes Finest Trainer Listing Service
                            http://fingerlakesfinesttbs.com
                            Find us on Facebook:
                            http://www.facebook.com/FingerLakesF...oroughbredsInc

Comment

• Volos had his first day of outdoor turnout today. He had a couple of weeks of stall rest/walking and then turnout in the indoor. He has been a complete gentleman for everything, and handled being outside with the same degree of class...He is amazingly smart and kind.

Comment

• Tradewind, wish I'd read this before going to the track today. I saw Linda for a split second and would have waved her down to give her this news if I'd had it. She really loved him and would have been happy to hear about him.

Comment

• Originally posted by tradewind View Post
                                  Volos had his first day of outdoor turnout today. He had a couple of weeks of stall rest/walking and then turnout in the indoor. He has been a complete gentleman for everything, and handled being outside with the same degree of class...He is amazingly smart and kind.
                                  Originally posted by GoForAGallop View Post
                                  I haven't shared her on this thread before, but I have R Lady in Blue, from 2011. She was purchased by someone else directly from the track at the end of the meet, and I found her on Craigslist in January as a giveaway. She was actually on my short list when looking at FL horses last fall, but gone by the time my trailer was leaving. So when I found her on Craigslist, six hours away, it was too much of a chance second meeting to pass her up.

She got off the trailer mid-Jan in ROUGH shape. Partly just not handling coming down off the track well, and partly just miscare. She hung out all spring as we battled some ulcers and finally started to get some weight on her (didn't help that she would gain weight, and then have a growth spurt, setting us back again!), and then trail rode on a loose rein next to my trail packer all summer. She started real training October 15, and the video below is of her third ride, Nov 3. (After some long-lining sessions.)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wWFm_tVH0cM

She has continued to progress in leaps and bounds, and hopefully come spring-time, with a larger budget, I will really be able to get her out and competing!
                                  tradewind- I literally drooled over Volos for some time. I am SO happy he's found a home. I can't wait for updates (and photos?!)

GoForAGallop- Daisy is simply gorgeous and looks absolutely fantastic under saddle. I am so incredibly happy that she found her way to you. She looks like she is already a lovely partner. Happy Trails to the both of you.

And now for a Tally update- Tally is spending the remainder of the winter on 60 acres barefoot with her best friends This mare has worked hard for a long time and I think she deserved a little time off.
                                  The photo below shows what she's been up to lately....(and yes, that's our kitchen window)

Comment

• Lazy Pony, I will certainly provide updates! He is about as kind as a horse gets.

Comment

• Hi Lazy Pony!

I just saw Bryan Armstrong a few days ago and gave him a report on Tally. Just in case you'd like to hear it again, her was one of my happiest placements. You two were meant to be together, simple as that!

Comment

• Originally posted by foundationmare View Post
                                        Hi Lazy Pony!

I just saw Bryan Armstrong a few days ago and gave him a report on Tally. Just in case you'd like to hear it again, her was one of my happiest placements. You two were meant to be together, simple as that!
                                        Awww, I am so pleased that you got to see Mr. Armstrong and let him know she is doing well. I love her so much and I always think of how lucky I was to have found her.

Comment

• I don't know what it is about the Finger Lakes track, but it seems like every horse that comes off it is an absolute prize, even if they have their silly moments *coughHeliodoro*.

Tally in the kitchen window is priceless!
                                          VW sucks.

Comment

Working...
                                          X