• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Dear COTH, I just want you to know that I, for one, still love you

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Dear COTH, I just want you to know that I, for one, still love you

Dear Mods and COTH team,
    I know you are getting all sorts of flack from members of the community. I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate all the hard work you are putting in to make the forums and the site a better place. I know you don't have all the kinks ironed out, but I promise I will be patient, as I know that a site redesign is a lot of work.

Love,
    LTF
    "My shopping list is getting long but I will add the marshmallows right below the napalm." -Weighaton

This thread is probably going to get deleted all the same..
    Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

The changes are a little bit like changing to a new saddle, takes a little to get use to, but it is the same old horse under us.

I feel sorry for those implementing the changes, because they are working their hearts out, some is not yet ideal and they are getting dumped on by those that are having tantrums over it.

I guess that eventually we will get used to what won't change, will learn to like some of the new and after some time wonder what the big deal was after all.

Comment

Originally posted by LearnToFly View Post
        Dear Mods and COTH team,
        I know you are getting all sorts of flack from members of the community. I just wanted to let you know that I appreciate all the hard work you are putting in to make the forums and the site a better place. I know you don't have all the kinks ironed out, but I promise I will be patient, as I know that a site redesign is a lot of work.

Love,
        LTF
        Ditto. Today I have no glitches to report, and things look pretty darned good. Thanks!!
        Love,
        Harveyhorses

Comment

Ditto

Originally posted by LearnToFly View Post
          Dear Mods and COTH team,

Love,
          LTF
          Ditto what LearnToFly said - I liked the green ! but blue is fine too!
          Zu Zu Bailey " IT'S A WONDERFUL LIFE ! "

Comment

I loved the green, but I'm not going to piss and moan over color.

The new fonts, though, are just perfect! So very happy with the switch to a chunky sans-serif. Much easier to read... for hours and hours...

Doing a great job, guys! Keep it up!

Comment

The change of color and font is very much appreciated. Thank you! It is a start and proves that you are listening to us.

Comment

Agreed.

Comment

Some of us are still unhappy that the Chronicle went away from the old white paper stock! But we learn to live with change...

Comment

Things are looking much improved!
                    Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
                    Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                      The changes are a little bit like changing to a new saddle, takes a little to get use to, but it is the same old horse under us.

I feel sorry for those implementing the changes, because they are working their hearts out, some is not yet ideal and they are getting dumped on by those that are having tantrums over it.

I guess that eventually we will get used to what won't change, will learn to like some of the new and after some time wonder what the big deal was after all.
                      couldn't have said it better myself.

Comment

I still love you too COTH.

Considering that only a teeny tiny number of the people here subscribe to COTH, I have to wonder why so many feel the need to be so bitter in the first place? They have given us a nice place to play FOR FREE. Play nice back. I voiced my concerns on the initial threads and posted alternate workarounds. I didn't need to do anything more than that...they listened to most of the concerns we had, and I am sure they are working on the others. Thank you COTH for listening.

I was offered an alternate stylesheet (sans plugin's) to view Chronicle while the text colors were wonkey. And I did use it because we were in the midst of launching SS for Rescues. It was handled the way it should have been..privately. I have a depth perception issue and the fix helped me. I don't need it now that the colors are fixed. Thank you COTH for listening and thank you fellow COTH member for helping me.

I will be renewing my subscription this week. I also do enjoy the new bit of "fluff" in the online addition too. There are complaints about that, but the way I see it is this...

People are complaining about it being in the magazine (or I should say the online issue) yet it is all people talk about here in the forums? We got what we have been asking for all these years afterall didn't we.

Thank you COTH. You will always be my favorite diversion.
                        I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Comment

Yes, what LTF said!!! Thank you COTH, you are wonderful!

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                          Are you the type of person who does not tell the person who orders the paper that you used the last package of paper because you do not want to sound like you are complaining?

How would they know what to fix if people did not tell them what was not working?

In that whole long post about problems there were very few who were rude about it. Most simply stated facts.

If no one said anything then the forum would not know people were having a hard time reading that font in that color, etc.

It is wonderful that COTH listened to our concerns. Could not ask for a better place!

Comment

Dear COTH board content,
                            You and I are cool.

XOXO,
                            Renn

Dear Mod1 and Mod2,
                            Y'all are awesome.

Thanks much,
                            Renn

Dear web design team,
                            Uhhh... hi?

Insert non-committal signature here
                            "I'm not always sarcastic. Sometimes I'm asleep." - Harry Dresden

Amy's Stuff - Rustic chic and country linens and decor
                            Support my mom! She's gotta finance her retirement horse somehow.

Comment

You know, I'm just glad to be here!
                              I'm so thankful that the stuff we post is the same, I really don't care what shape or color it is
                              THANKS
                              Y'all ain't right!

Comment

C oth is the only board I visit.It is professional and the membership by and large are educated horse people.

Change is inevitable. I don't like a few things but I still use Yahoo Classic for email It's font size/window size due to my middle aged eyes.

I won't be a complainer
                                "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

Thank you much everyone!

We're going to be reopening the feedback thread later today after we address some issues, so we'll combine the thread with that one.

We very much appreciate the members of our community and respect their input.

Even while we're in this transition period, we do want to maintain the focus on horse topics and threads, so we'll be directing comments re: the site to three places: the feedback thread, the glitch thread, and direct to the main office.

We'll get things set up and redirected accordingly later today.

Thanks again!
                                  Mod 1

Comment

Working...
                                  X