• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Selling horse - who buys what for transition?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Selling horse - who buys what for transition?

OK so my horse is sold, the lady is coming to pick him up on Saturday.

What am I expected to send with her? I've told her I'll send his turnout rug, and all the products that will spoil before I get another horse (fly spray, liniment, etc). He gets fed 2 meals daily as part of his board and I feed an additional meal at my cost; I've told her I'll send the TC Senior, beet pulp, and all supplements that I have left with her. He's been treated for ulcers too, so I was planning on buying a tube of Ulcerguard to give the day before and the day of shipping. But he'll probably need more than 4 days. I'm giving him de-wormer the day she comes because he's due that day, and having the vet out for the health certificate this week, since he's crossing state lines.

Do I need to buy a bag or 2 of the feed from the barn? Will I need to send a halter with him (I had sortof hoped to keep his for sentimental reasons)? What about shipping wraps - something she should bring, or something I should send? Do I buy another tube of Ulcerguard?

I really just have no clue what's expected. I'm selling for financial reasons, so I'd like to keep my costs low, but at the same time the buyer hasn't haggled with me and is providing a great home. I don't want to make her angry, but I don't want to spend too much $.

What do you think? Thanks everyone

Wow you are being super generous! When I sell mine they get sent with a crappy old halter and lead I can find laying around, and if the new person is lucky whatever rug they had on (only if its older and won't work for any of my others). They bought the horse, its not up to you to still feed and outfit it, but that is very nice of you. When I buy a horse I even bring a halter with me, I don't expect anything to come with the horse except for 4 legs and a tail.

Comment

Holy s**t!! What????

Helloooo tell them to bring their own halter and lead. period.

p.s. buyer pays for health certificate! Usually done if vetted. I can see sending anything that might spoil, but that would sure mean them bringing their own halter to use!!
      Last edited by babecakes; Nov. 10, 2009, 11:09 AM. Reason: added

Comment

I think that's about it! I would expect him to come with a halter if I didn't provide one, and that's about it. I can see where you're coming from on the feed and suppliments, and other supplies you either won't need or will need to be thrown out before you get another horse, but I wouldn't buy extra food or provide more ulcer medication--she knows what he's getting, right?
        Author Page
        Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
        Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

My horse came with the halter he was wearing and a bit of the food he'd been eating so I could transition him over.

It didn't occur to me to ask for anything else. Of course, she has several other horses still so I'm sure most of her supplies were shared and he didn't have his "own" stuff to go with him anyway.
          The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
          Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

A halter.
            <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

IME you get a halter and a lead rope *if* you don't bring your own, and most people are curteous enough to bring their own. Anything else would be gravy but absolutely not required/expected. The only thing I'd expect would be information--for example, I would expect to be reminded ahead of time that he is currently eating X, currently getting Y supplements, and has Z special needs. How the new owner cares to meet those needs is her problem.
              Head Geek at The Saddle Geek Blog http://www.thesaddlegeek.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mjrtango93 View Post
                Wow you are being super generous! When I sell mine they get sent with a crappy old halter and lead I can find laying around, and if the new person is lucky whatever rug they had on (only if its older and won't work for any of my others). They bought the horse, its not up to you to still feed and outfit it, but that is very nice of you. When I buy a horse I even bring a halter with me, I don't expect anything to come with the horse except for 4 legs and a tail.

The leagaleeze in Illinois says they must have a halter - that is all.

You should dig out an old halter to send along. The buyer MUST know how to care for THEIR animal! Do not do it for them or they will never know.

I send a halter - usually one i no longer want - and a list of medical history and what they eat - period.

You are doing too much!
                "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

In some states, I believe you are required to include a halter or halter and lead with the purchase of a horse. If you're very sentimental about his, and only have the one, I'd ask her if she'd be okay with letting you keep it ahead of time, since she's probably expecting to take him home in his.

All of the horses I've purchased have come with their own halter. One free horse did not (which was fine, we're swimming in halters here). One came with a halter, lead, and leftover supplements. One came with a halter and cribbing collar. One was due for deworming, and came with a halter and a tube of ivermectin.

I agree, you're being very generous. Best of luck to everyone involved!
                  "In order to really enjoy a dog, one doesn’t merely train him to be semi-human. The point of it is to open oneself to the possibility of becoming part dog."
                  -Edward Hoagland

Comment

I don't provide a halter and lead if they pick them up. If they were getting shipped, I'd send a halter and lead I didn't mind never seeing again.

That's it. If I wanted to send half a bag of 'his' feed, I'd do so.

Nothing else. They bought a HORSE, not a horse and a bunch of stuff.

Comment

1. Halter
                      2. Medical history - last time they got shots, what shots they got, last time they were wormed and what exactly they were wormed with, Name & phone # of my of Vet, etc.
                      3. Last time they had teeth done
                      4. Any medication they need - I'd probably give them what is left unless another horse I owned needed it (or if the new owner was a jerk - but then I probably wouldn't sell horse to them).
                      5. I usually provide 2 feedings for any transition and what feed they've been getting (name, % protein, manufacturer).
                      Now in Kentucky

Comment

Oh yeah, I was also given his still-current Coggins results when I got him.
                        The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
                        Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

Whoa, next time you're selling a horse, I want one! I will send along extras, for a price. Horse comes with halter (and a cheap one at that). If they want a nice leather turnout halter, they can pay for it. Leftovers that would have been thrown out, OK I can see that.

I sure wouldn't have thrown in the turnout...if they wanted it, they could have bought it from you.

The ulcer meds I would treat differently. I would ask them if they want you to purchase enough for them to get over the transition AND they can pay you for them when they pick him up.

If they're buying the horse, they're responsible for his upkeep. Plain and simple. If you don't think they are able or willing to do that and you're that concerned about it, you shouldn't have sold him to them.

Comment

I can see sending specialized supplements/drugs you happen to have on hand that you're not going to be using for another horse, or perhaps offering tack that has been custom-made for the horse with the horse (for lots extra $$$ on the deal of course), but anything else, no.

Comment

Adding to everything else, I wouldn't deworm the day the horse was leaving. If the horse has a reaction or think of the reduced water intake, nerves (already said he's on ulcer meds) and such. Deworming is a chemical medical process and I prefer to do it when the weather is stable and the horse's day is routine. Either do it a few days in advance of shipping or tell the new owner that he will be due a few days after moving when he settles in and offer to sell the tube to them if you've bought it already. Freebies are a gift, not a requirement. The last horses I've sold or given away either have a halter go with them only or the new owner has the option of buying things that were specifically for that horse (as was the case with my one and only draft cross, new person bought the bridle, bits, blankets, etc). The rescue who left this weekend I did send a midweight with, but the heart strings were involved with that one so the purse strings were not so tight

Comment

I usually sent mine with halter, bridle (because all 3 had custom fitting bridles), 1/2 bag of feed, and medical history like last shots, worming, shoeing, teeth, etc. I sent sheets and blankets with one because they weren't all that $$$ and wouldn't fit any of my other horses.

I wouldn't worm the day before or on shipping day. Worming can upset their systems a little bit, and you don't want to add that on top of the stress of shipping / new environment, etc. If you can't worm him at least 3 days before he goes, give the wormer to new owner so she can do it once he seems settled in.
                                Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
                                Witherun Farm
                                http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

No, No on the wormer. Give it to the new owner if you don't have anyone else to use it on. We always give horses the day off on worming day. Don't want to worm and then stress with trailering.

Now, on the other side, I worm new horses when they get here. They get isolation for a week, wormer and temp taken daily.

Comment

Oh my... If I sold horses like that I'd be in the poor house quick!

My horses go with a leather halter with name plate (if they have one, if not they go with a new nylon one) and enough food to transition them over to the new feed.

They also go with a coggins.

That's it! Unless they have something specific I won't be using for anyone else... supplement or whatever. But that's in very very rare cases.

Generally horses I've bought have come with just a halter. I got a turnout blanket once, and sometimes food. A high dollar reiner I bought came with supplements.
                                    True North Dressage
                                    Select Cheval Canadiens for dressage and eventing
                                    www.TrueNorthDressage.com

Comment

The horses I have bought have all come with a halter and maybe a lead rope. Almost always both have duct tape somewhere on them
                                      Auventera Two:Some women would eat their own offspring if they had some dipping sauce.
                                      Serious Leigh: it sounds like her drama llama should be an old schoolmaster by now.

Comment

Only one of mine came with a halter, and not a very respectable one at that. (IE, a piece of braided baling twine for the "lead rope") The other one would have come with something similar, but I brought my own.

They both came with negative Coggins. No other records besides that. (Although these were, to be fair, just auction ponies, not well-loved private ponies.) Oh, and one came with three shoes!

When I sold my mare, she went with her halter, which had her name plate on it, and her lead rope. We also sent her with her blankets....they were HUGE and would never fit another horse I had, and plus they were inherited from her previous owner, and therefore older and not worth much anyway. She got a bale of our hay to tide her over, and a list of what grains she was getting. And that's it.

Comment

Working...
                                        X