• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

WWYD- package recieved accidently

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• WWYD- package recieved accidently

So here's my story. I bought two t/o sheets from an online company a month ago. They kept backordering on me so I finally emailed and said, please refund and cancel order and went out and bought at a tack store. They apologized and canceled/refunded immediately. My acct was credited 24hrs later. Now, come Friday. I arrive home from work to find the sheets delivered to my door. Whoa. Being the honest person I am, I emailed immediately (they don't have a ph#) what had happened and how to return. I have not yet heard back from the company. I looked into mailing them back but its going to cost me $20 given where they need to go and how much they weigh. Not thrilled with that idea, but not thrilled to be in possession of unpaid items. What would you do? I'm wondering if UPS has a "return to sender" policy.

You need to try harder to get a hold of them to return them. They will send a UPS call tag. I would say if they do not contact you in 30 days they are yours to keep. Otherwise too me it's the same as stealing.
    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

Given the circumstances, I'd also try harder to get a hold of them. I do believe most 'return to sender' options only work (free) if you have not opened the package (but don't quote me! haha).

I agree though that after 30 days and a realistic effort on your part to get the items returned, then they're all yours.
      Kelli
      Horse Drawings!

Comment

I mistakenly received an entire case of Sore No More liniment years ago. I called the company and they said it would cost them more to issue a return, than the product was worth. They thanked me for my honesty, and told me to share the SNM with my horsey friends. I was just concerned that some other poor Cindy hadn't received her order
        Cindy

Comment

Contact the shipper. Most allow you to "reject" or "refuse" a shipment.
          F O.B
          Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
          Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

Ebay.

Try one more time to get ahold of them then consider it yours.
            http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

Contact the shipper and ask if you can reject the package. Try contacting the company and tell them what happened. They will likely mail you a return shipping label.

Comment

If they don't get back to you and issue a call tag, I'd donate them to an equine rescue.

I would not feel right selling them unless that is what they suggest you do.

Comment

Given the glut of heinous, incompetent and plain old rude instances of customer service out there, I'd go way out of my way to work with a company that had treated me well. Don't make them regret that.
                  The armchair saddler
                  Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

When I was in college and lived off campus, the girl that lived there before me said weird things happened with the mail in that house, like you got stuff you didn't order. The name she told me it would come addressed to was the name of the girl who lived there before her, and who was unreachable. I was like ok whatever, didn't think too much of it. Well, a couple months after moving in I got an epilator (like a razor, only more painful) in the mail, addressed to the original girl. I called the company, but they said it had been paid for and that my address was the address on the "shipping" section. Then I started getting those Fruit of the Month things? Like where every month you get like 10 grapefruits, or 20 oranges, or whatever. When I contacted the company, they said they could not tell me who paid, since I didn't know the secret question or have the right email or whatever. I also got a vibrator, from one of those plain brown wrapper secret companies. I always wondered if that girl was ordering stuff, too dumb to change her address, and pissed she never got it? Or did she disappear and friends/ family (and apparently lovers) just assumed she never called them to thank them?

I say keep the stuff, unless they contact you looking for it. How many times do we overpay for everything horse-related? It's about time you got something free.
                    When the boogeyman goes to sleep, he checks the closet for George Morris. -mpsbarnmanager

Comment

The stuff belongs to the mail-order company. Wait for them to tell you what to do.

Comment

Another vote for continue trying to contact them. They have to have a phone number some where.

If after a month they do not get back to you with you giving it a good try to get in touch with them consider the sheets yours.

Comment

Return it - You'll Feel Better!

Just drop the package back off at a UPS office and tell them that you have refused the order. If you opened the package just tape it back up. Write refused and return to sender all over the box and that should do it.

If there is no UPS office nearby I think Kinkos has UPS drop or you can just stick it in or on top of a UPS box in front of an office building.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks everyone for your responses. I sent another email today. They honestly don't have a phone #. If you check their website they say they only do business by email. So I guess I just wait. I haven't even opened the packages, so UPS return to sender is possible. I will ask the UPS driver that comes by my office today about it. I knew what they were, no need to open them up.

I am upset that some of you mentioned it as stealing, as I made no mention of keeping them or making no effort to return them. But if the company makes no effort to take them back, then what do I do? I guess I will just wait and see.

Comment

I really feel that "stealing" is just a twee bit over the top. The OP did say she immediately tried to get in contact with the company and then asked here, which is hardly the "same as stealing."

OP, make a reasonable effort to contact them. 2-3 emails, then wait 30 days. If they don't get back to you, give up. If you don't need the blankets, donate them.
                              ---
                              They're small hearts.

Comment

Go to whois.com and run a search on the domain name. Sometimes you get lucky and the telephone contact is for the companies, other times you'll only get the web site hosting service. It's worth a try.

Comment

Originally posted by Alterrain View Post
                                  Well, a couple months after moving in I got an epilator (like a razor, only more painful) in the mail, addressed to the original girl. I called the company, but they said it had been paid for and that my address was the address on the "shipping" section. Then I started getting those Fruit of the Month things? Like where every month you get like 10 grapefruits, or 20 oranges, or whatever. When I contacted the company, they said they could not tell me who paid, since I didn't know the secret question or have the right email or whatever. I also got a vibrator, from one of those plain brown wrapper secret companies.
                                  I obviously lived in the wrong off-campus apartments!

Comment

Since you have not opened the package UPS will return it to the shipper at no cost to you. Take it to your nearest UPS dropoff location or give it to your UPS driver when he comes to your neighborhood. You can also schedule a package pick up with them.

Comment

• Original Poster

Company sent email today!! Will be sending call tag for pickup and told me I will be blessed with good karmah. Weight off my shoulder. Oh happy day. LOL.

Comment

BTW, it is absolutely not stealing from a legal perspective. Unordered merchandise sent through the mail belongs to the recipient under Federal Law.

http://www.ftc.gov/bcp/edu/pubs/cons...cts/pro15.shtm

It is illegal for the shipper to demand payment, and the recipient is under no legal obligation to even tell the shipper they possess the item, much less return it.
                                        Proud Member: Bull-snap Haters Clique, Michigan Clique, and Appaloosa Clique!

Comment

Working...
                                        X