• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Disaster Preparedness for your horses

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All
  • Original Poster

Well isn't it ironic?

After starting this thread, mostly worried about a terrorist attack that probably wouldn't reach me anyway, I watch the news last night where they announce that N. Korea has nuclear bombs that "could potentially" reach the PNW.

Anyway this discussion has been helpful and yes, in the end we can only try to be as prepared as possible without panicing or going
    nuts and building a bomb shelter.

The PNW is probably in much more danger of a major earth quake then a terroist attach or nuclear bombing and I've been prepared for that for years.

Cheers everyone

I'll get you my pretty....and your little dog too...ehheheheheheh
    \"given the choice of a majestic horse and a guy who\'s only part of a horse, I\'ll take the horse any day\"
    Budweiser commercial

Comment

I just can't get worked up over this. I just can't.

My greatest fear is losing someone I love (including critters), not my own demise, but I can't protect them all. My having duct tape and sheeting won't keep the gas away from my various horses, or more importantly my family in parts far and near. Mr. Heather is on a plane today. 3 days of water won't keep the plane up.

Not to mention, I can't imagine some of this stuff working, at least with my horses. I've got one who won't tolerate a plastic bag in his stall, let alone on his head, and that much ace would stop his gut, causing him to colic anyway.

At the gym this morning all the gym ladies were getting progressively more hysterical about all this. I just can't. Whether or not something happens, my mortgage is still due, my deadlines are still looming, and my critters all still need to be fed and worked.

I won't lie and say I'm not stressed out by all this, I am, but it's more the feeling of helplessness, than fear of where I'm going to find plastic sheeting. I can't make everyone I love safe. That sucks. But that's life, with or without Osama Bin Laden and Saddam Hussein.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>The true conspiracy is that Osama and Sadaam own duct tape and plastic sheeting factories.
        <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
        OMG ROTFLMAO!!! If only you could have seen the looks I recieved when I burst out laughing in the computer lab here at school :lol
        That would definitly be one for the history books

Because at the point where you can comprehend how incomprehensible it all is, you're about as smart as you need to be. - Trudy The Search For Signs....
        Because at the point where you can comprehend how incomprehensible it all is, you\'re about as smart as you need to be. - Trudy The Search For Signs....

Comment

We are trying to at least stock up on supplies and water. Around here they are saying to at least prepare for a loss of power for several days IF anything is to happen. We will have enough food and water for us and the animals for several days. If we have to evacuate we will turn our horses out with blankets, round bales, and lots of water...our dogs and cats will come with us.

An idea for storing water-buy large totes, fill them up where you would need them (in the pasture) and keep lids on so they stay clea

"There are times when you can trust a horse, time when you can't, and times when you have to."

www.boo.riana.com

Comment

Our local stations are telling us to have duct tape, plastic, food, water and cash. Yeah, so I can seal myself into my room of cash only to sufficate on day 2? And if I am not to leave my sealed room what do I need the cash for?

Up here you can't store large volumes of water unless you have a heated building. We get 1 - 2" ice overnight on our tanks if the electricity goes out. Popsicles anyone?

Proud member of the "I Hate Physical Therapy" clique | Auction for Aiden!
            YaBB me baby! http://www.hopefulfarm.com/cgi-bin/yabb/YaBB.cgi
            Hopeful Farm Sport Horses
            Midwest Breeders Group
            Follow me on Twitter
            Join me on Facebook

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Heather:
              At the gym this morning all the gym ladies were getting progressively more hysterical about all this.
              <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

Really? That's depressing. I thought Americans were tougher than that. Tell them to get a grip. Imagine how awful it was to live through WWII, WWI, the blitz in London. Imagine what the Palestinians and Israelis live with every day. Tell 'em to buck up.

And no, 3 days of water won't keep the plane up, Heather, but in the event of power failure from ANY cause it will make your lives easier. That's all we're saying.

Comment

There's no way I could store water outside in this weather! It freezes solid in several hours. Therefore, I would have to leave my sealed up saferoom (where, presumably, myself, husband, daughter, 2 dogs at 80 and 120 lb, 3 cats who already hate eachother, and my springtime-nesting frenzied macaw would be amicably sharing space) to trudge out with the water to my horse (who, being the fat mare she is, would NOT fit thru the kitchen door!) and goat?????Don't think so. If the critters go down, I go down with them.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by Redmare:
                  Well isn't it ironic?

After starting this thread, mostly worried about a terrorist attack that probably wouldn't reach me anyway, I watch the news last night where they announce that N. Korea has nuclear bombs that "could potentially" reach the PNW.

<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I think people need to put their "sensationalist news" filters on. North Korea built nukes to PREVENT being attacked. Makes sense in a way, and it's working for them...notice how we're about to declare war on Iraq, where the evidence for WMD is dubious at best, and just tiptoeing around North Korea? You can bet that other small states who are concerned about landing on the "axis of evil" list will be shopping in North Korea and Pakistan for nuclear weapons of their own now. It's pretty standard in foreign policy that these are preventative measures. Look at India and Pakistan, "testing" bombs all over the place but never actually sending them over the border.

Honestly, this thread is the first I've heard of a general panic about some vaguely defined enemy landing here and letting loose some manner of nasty weapons. I just think it can't be coincidental that the senate Enron report just came out, and was described by senators as "eye-popping" and "disturbing," keeping in mind that Ken Lay is Dubya's bestest friend, or so he claimed during the campaign. It doesn't seem like anyone is paying any attention to the urgent issue of corporate accounting and tax reform right now. Handy for the Bush and Cheney family friends, isn't it? Also suspicous timing given the split in the NATO alliance over the Iraq question. Bush needs citizen support for the war now more than ever. He's got to convince us that a decidedly secular Baathist regime has been supporting whacko religious fundamentalists all along.

OK, sorry to get off the horse thing, but the whole timing of the terrorist alert thing is too fishy to be taken seriously.

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by hobson:
                    ...notice how we're about to declare war on Iraq, where the evidence for WMD is dubious at best, and just tiptoeing around North Korea? <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

OK, not to get OT but....HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Tiptoeing around NK? I think not. I agree with Dennis Miller, who says to NK: "You wanna piece of this? Wait your turn, buddy. Don't worry, we'll turn to you next."

We're ignoring NK because A) there's no oil there, is there? and B)they're a gnat that can be dealt with at any time.

Don't know if that makes you feel better or worse.

Comment

Has anyone seen that old movie "The Russian Have Landed"??

Or that new movie "Bowling for Columbine"

What is everyone so afraid of??

Slightly off topic: And who the heck upgrades from a Red Alert to an Orange Alert?? Does that seem backwards to anyone else??

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maggymay:
                        Slightly off topic: And who the heck upgrades from a Red Alert to an Orange Alert?? Does that seem backwards to anyone else??<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

LOL!!! We're living in a Monty Python sketch!

nonono, maggymay, you have it wrong. Okay, everyone coordinate our terror alert mood rings:

Green - Low - low risk of terrorist activity
                        Blue - Guarded - general risk of ta
                        Yellow - Elevated - significant rota
                        Orange - High - high rota
                        Red - Severe - severe rota

Check out this handy guide:

http://www.sanjuanislander.com/count...cy/alert.shtml

Yes, hobson, as the economy goes down, the terror alerts go up.

maggymay, do you mean The Russians Are Coming, The Russians Are Coming?

Everybody to get from street!

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>...I was musing about what kinds of canned goods might be remotely appealing to a persnickety family...I came up with spaghetti and meatballs and refried beans ...<HR></BLOCKQUOTE>

I'd be cautious about sealing up the room and then eating refried beans...

Unashamed member of the Arab clique...just settin' on the Group W bench.
                          "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

DC's in a vague panic - I can't go anywhere without hearing about it. Gah.
                            ---
                            They're small hearts.

Comment

I'm sorry but all this talk about duct tape and plastic sheets to protect you reminds me of Japan's governement after Hiroshima and Nagasaki, when people were told that if they wore a white sheet they'd be safe. People like to feel in control, so I really think that this is said more as a psychological thing.

Just because I have a short attention span doesn't mean I
                              Just because I have a short attention span doesn\'t mean I

Comment

The thing that really scares me about all this is people. Not the terrorists, but US citizens who will be going haywire and insanely hysterical.

The only way something would really affect us out here would be if someone dropped a bomb in our pasture or something. We don't have horses here, just goats, rabbits, and chickens. The chickens are old and gross so they can just stay outside . We have about a dozen goat kids and they're really the best of the herd so we could bring them in the house and bottle feed them. Then I could just carry the rabbit cages into the house. But by the time I could do all that the worst of whatever it was would be over.

If I had a horse right now, I would probably make sure he was in a safe place (where he would be anyway) but I wouldn't risk my life running out in a missle storm to check on him. If something happened, that would be sad but there would still be other horses in the future. Nobody's aiming their missles to wipe out the horse population. Horses don't respond well to terror threats anyway.

If they do anything, they will have one opportunity to hit a crowded area probably somewhere in Downtown USA, that is if they get past the US's defense.

Comment

Karina- don't be questioning our auth-or-i-tee! I'm pretty sure that if you duct-taped a plastic bag over your head you'd be completely safe from smallpox, radiation AND high blood pressure

In fact I think Dubya should do it immediately, just in case.

Comment

I agree with MaggyMay; that does sound a bit backward "red to orange"???

Who knows......

~Darci~

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><font size="-1">quote:</font><HR>Originally posted by maggymay:
                                      Has anyone seen that old movie "The Russian Have Landed"??
                                      <HR></BLOCKQUOTE>
                                      Was it "The Russians are Coming - The Russians Are Coming?" Carl Reiner, ...

Comment

That's the ONE!

Comment

our canadian news showed a feed from the US news where a guy was stapling plastic on the outside of his house(which needed painting) I was like..ahhh hello..it isn't air tight when you put holes in it with the staple gun.

As someone who has stood in a barn during a tornado and watched windows bend in and out in a 15 mintue period, can I just say, now is the time for common sense, which seems to be everyone is not using right now.

Leslie Maurer
                                          Jump The Moon Sporthorses
                                          Home of Echo Shea (arab sporthorse RPSI Book I) and Outrageous Fortune(overo Pinto RPSI)
                                          http://www.jtmsporthorses.com
                                          Leslie Dobson
                                          Jump The Moon Sporthorses

Comment

Working...
                                          X