• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What temperature do you close barn doors?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• What temperature do you close barn doors?

Just curious what temperate your barn closes the barn doors at? All day? Just at night? Wondering what is typical and what logic is behind various opinions. I am assuming wind plays a role for some as well.

For me, wind is the biggest factor. My barn is situated so that there's almost always a breeze. Usually below about 40 one end of the barn is either completely closed or open just a foot or two, and the other end will be almost completely open. It has to be below 20 and blowing snow for me to close both ends tight, and then the side slider is usually open at least 5' or so. I can't ever truly close everything tight or the barn dogs and cats would have a fit. If I close doors, it's usually more for my comfort. The horses get plenty of natural light and ventilation either way- my barn isn't insulated, the eaves are ventilated and I have skylights as well as windows in most of the stalls.

Comment

I only close mine on really windy nights. I live in S. Louisiana, so cold isn't really a factor very often. (Coldest nights usually aren't much below 40 degrees.) My barn is set up to get a breeze flowing in the summer, so in the winter the wind can make it pretty blustery in there.

The way my barn is built, it doesn't keep cold out, and there are only doors on one end. The other is open but backs up to woods, so wind can't come through that direction.

I might close them if it's really cold and rainy, too.

Comment

I agree with the others. It's not the temperature, it's the wind that makes me close up the barn. Even then, I don't close off the doors from the stalls to the attached runs unless the snow's blowing in horizontally. I leave everything wide open if it's just cold, and in the three years I've had my own place the coldest I've seen is 7 degrees. As long as there's no wind, my guys can choose to be in or go out.

Comment

I don't close them unless the wind is unbearable and is blowing snow or rain inside. Otherwise they are always open - so much healthier for the horses. As long as there is not a huge direct draft on the horses they are fine. Closed up barns are so unhealthy - the air needs to circulate and you need ventilation. I was in a barn yesterday that was closed up and they were cleaning stalls - it was absolutely horrible in there - very hard to breath and a lot of coughing going on.
          So no I don't close them unless the wind is unbearable .
          "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

Being a boarder, I don't get to make the Big Decisions.

But I'm like the others here and not a fan of closing up a barn to keep it warm. I think horses would rather have fresh air and be blanketed a bit more warmly.

Wind rushing through and snow coming in would do it for me.
            The armchair saddler
            Politically Pro-Cat

Comment

The North end gets closed up tight with very windy or rainy conditions. It is closed by varying degrees to accommodate the comfort of the people inside.

The South end is rarely closed up tight unless it is very cold 20's and below or there is wind/rain. But is very rarely closed during the day no matter what the weather.

Each stall has an outside dutch door, a smaller sliding window up higher and a 6' overhang outside (so we don't have to worry about rain coming in). Those are opened or closed for the comfort of the horses, along with blankets or not.

The ventilation in my barn is pretty good even when closed up tight. The air stays pretty darn fresh without there being much direct breeze. A closed up barn should smell like hay when you open it up, not like ammonia, urine or manure.

SCFarm
              The above post is an opinion, just an opinion. If it were a real live fact it would include supporting links to websites full of people who already agreed with me.

www.southern-cross-farm.com

Comment

We have the barn/indoor arena heated to 45-48 degrees (hard to tell exactly on the old dial style thermostats). We close the doors at 50 or if it is extremely windy. We have an excellant ventilation system that is set on thermostats that kick the exhaust fans up higher if it is getting too warm in the barn.

Comment

As a general rule, we close our big, end-of-the-aisle barn doors when the night time temps go under 50 degrees or rain or higher winds are forecasted. The dutch doors in all the stalls stay open all night until temps drop under 40 degrees.

In high winds above those temps, the dutch doors on the west side (where our weather comes from) get closed., but then we leave about a four inch crack in the stall windows for air flow. Big aisle doors get closed, but the windows in them stay open for air flow.

In the 30-40 degree range all the horses stalls have windows (with screens and bars) that we keep open to varying degrees depending on the wind and damp.

Everything gets closed in temps under 30 degrees. There's enough air space around their dutch doors for air flow, and I open up the barn during the day when the horses are out.

We also have ceiling fans that circulate 24/7 on a low setting.
                  "Our greatest glory is not in never falling, but in rising every time we fall." - Confucious
                  <>< I.I.

Comment

My lovely little backyard barn is a shedrow, so no main doors to close; I usually allow the horses free in/out access to their stalls anyway.

When running a boarding operation with a center-aisle barn up in VA, I avoided closing the sturdy old barn up altogether. Wind, as someone already said, was the biggest factor. When outside temps were chilly -- say below 50 or so ("very cold" in my book, but the horses beg to differ!) -- I'd close the ONE aisle door in the direction of the prevailing winds. The barn was still consistently 5-7 degrees warmer than outside, but well-ventilated so we had healthy horsey lungs all winter long.
                    Equinox Equine Massage

In the depth of winter, I finally learned that there was in me invincible summer.
                    -Albert Camus

Comment

When the temperatures start going into the 40s at night the doors will get closed and opened during the day. We have plenty of ventilation and windows stay open (at least for our guys) year round. When it stays in the low 30s all day, they stay shut all day.
                      No hour of life is wasted that is spent in the saddle. ~Winston Churchill
                      For Hope, For Strength, For Life-Delta Gamma
                      www.etsy.com/shop/joiedevivrecrafts Custom Wreaths and Other Decorations

Comment

Originally posted by mvp View Post
                        Being a boarder, I don't get to make the Big Decisions.
                        We used to be at a co-op barn. One of the agonizing decisions if you were the last to leave was whether to leave the doors open and, if so, which ones and how far open.

Comment

Horses need ventilation, so at my barn, we only close the doors for strong winds or when rain is blowing in the aisle. Otherwise they are open.

Comment

We don't close unless it is 30F or below, blowing snow or rain. And we NEVER close up 100%, we always leave the doors cracked about 1ft, unless it is thunderstorming out and then we open back up after the storm.
                            Michael: Seems the people who burned me want me for a job.
                            Sam: A job? Does it pay?
                            Michael: Nah, it's more of a "we'll kill you if you don't do it" type of thing.
                            Sam: Oh. I've never liked those.

Comment

Working...
                            X