Stallion Spotlight

Sandro Hit Standa Eylers

Real Estate Spotlight

01 Aerial front of House and property
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

"Borrowing" trailer? terms & conditions question

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• "Borrowing" trailer? terms & conditions question

So I have a nice 2 horse trailer. Another boarder at the barn does not have a trailer (or a truck for that matter) and has limited trailering experience. She is chasing points and wants to go to many shows that the "whole crew" isn't going to. Person in question is in early 20s.

I let her borrow my trailer once because my trainer asked and I figured it would be good for my trailer to move around and not just sit out in the field. Turns out it was ant infested in the horse part, she cleaned it out- awesome. She asks again 2 days before another show. I said "sure" because she caught me off guard. Well now I'm getting nervous about this. I overheard her talking about going to another show soon...I'm starting to feel like she is taking advantage of my generosity and this may develop into a regular basis deal.

SO...I'm thinking she needs to sign a contract "you break it you buy it" type of thing before I let her use it again. Thoughts? Also, I'm adding up the miles...she's already put 800 miles on it and it's about 400 miles round trip to every show...should I charge her a small fee per mile just to cover wear & tear on the trailer? I'm really not looking to turn a profit so much as to cover my *ss in case of accident and just to keep up with regular maintenance since it seems to be getting a lot of use.

All suggestions, comments welcome. Thanks in advance.

There was a time when I did not have my own trailer and I always had a contract with owner. Things like damage and liability. Since I taught I would trade lessons for the use of trailer. Have some clients who loan trailer and the one off is not charged for but when a person uses a trailer on a regular basis one client has friend pay for the yearly servicing which is several hundred dollars but then again said person did not have to buy trailer!!!

I would get something in writing or even hey a rental fee of $30 or more per use. IF YOU WANT to loan it out and get it in writing that she/he is responsible for any vehicle she may hit with it and she pays for any damage to it. It is amazing how much repairs on fenders and ramps are... Better to irritate her than ruin a friendship with a dispute over a repair???
    To be successful, you have to have your heart in your business, and your business in your heart

Comment

• Original Poster

I think a contract will definitely be in order. If anyone has any suggestions on what to include, by all means share.

In a search, I noticed some people said some issues about "renting" a trailer and insurance? I didn't really understand what the problem would be here. If anyone uses/loans out a trailer, what do you usually charge? I see $30 per use up here, a friend suggested to me $0.20-0.25 per mile...

Comment

I am trailer-less right now, but use a friend's 2 horse to go to shows about once a month. I email her the dates as far in advance as I can to make sure I can use it (6 months ahead if I can), I also make sure that the trailer is left as clean or cleaner than when I picked it up. She "rents" it to me for $50 for the weekend, which is a great deal- and I know it helps cover her expenses for having it.

Comment

Originally posted by SkipChange View Post
          I think a contract will definitely be in order. If anyone has any suggestions on what to include, by all means share.

In a search, I noticed some people said some issues about "renting" a trailer and insurance? I didn't really understand what the problem would be here. If anyone uses/loans out a trailer, what do you usually charge? I see $30 per use up here, a friend suggested to me $0.20-0.25 per mile...
          Our local Co-op rents trailers for $30/day, I think.

You might check and see if yours does this and mention it to her. She may feel relieved not having to use yours (or not, but its a nice thought) and pay them (already carrying insurance) instead of you!
          Big Idea Eventing

Comment

I have lent out my trailer in the past, but I will not do it again. I lent it to a friend who was very good about returning it clean, but I lent it to another friend who insisted he had tons of experience towing but halfway down my driveway, it popped off his hitch because he used the wrong size ball, bending the foot that holds up the front of the trailer when it's not being used. He had no $ to fix it, so I had to pay for the repair. That was enough for me to realize that it's just too risky to lend out something so valuable and, for most of us, irreplaceable.

If you're having any second thoughts about lending out your trailer, say no. I would also double check about liability if you take any $ to lend it out.

Comment

I have lent mine out before. I didn't do a contract, but I made sure she had liability insurance (it generally extends from the towing vehicle) and I double checked that the comprehensive insurance I was carrying would cover it even thought someone else was using it.

My basic rule is to never lend anything that I cannot afford to lose.
              --
              Wendy
              ... and Patrick

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by wsmoak View Post
                I have lent mine out before. I didn't do a contract, but I made sure she had liability insurance (it generally extends from the towing vehicle) and I double checked that the comprehensive insurance I was carrying would cover it even thought someone else was using it.

My basic rule is to never lend anything that I cannot afford to lose.
                Hmm, I'm pretty sure her towing vehicle is borrowed as well, from a 3rd party. Life is complicated.

Comment

I lent mine once, and won't do it again. Came back all banged up inside from where her horse had pawed and pawed.

When I pointed it out to her, she just shrugged and said a half-hearted "sorry".

Of course it didn't matter to her. She hadn't paid thousands of dollars for that trailer. I was left fuming and vowing I'd never lend it out again. She actually asked again about a month later. Um, NO!

Comment

I think you are asking for trouble here. Your insurance probably doesn't cover your trailer if you are renting it out. I think it is unwise to loan out such a major asset to someone except as a one time emergency situation type deal, and even then I'd probably insist on doing the hauling myself.
                    www.plainfieldfarmky.com

Comment

Originally posted by saddleup View Post
                      I lent mine once, and won't do it again. Came back all banged up inside from where her horse had pawed and pawed.

When I pointed it out to her, she just shrugged and said a half-hearted "sorry".

Of course it didn't matter to her. She hadn't paid thousands of dollars for that trailer. I was left fuming and vowing I'd never lend it out again. She actually asked again about a month later. Um, NO!
                      Amen to that.

Loaned mine out once, and not only got it back with the whole inside covered in horse crap, but the horse has broken the inside light cover.

Not only didn't even get a 'sorry', was told nothing of the damage at all!

Heck no, I won't lend it again!
                      Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Comment

Please check with your insurance company - and - if you do officially charge you will be commercial - if anythng happened to her or someone else you could be held liable - bad idea that way
                        Risa
                        HappyTrailsTrailers
                        BalancedRideTrailers
                        HappyTrailsTrailers.com
                        BalancedRideTrailers.com

Comment

No never do that. That was very nice of you to loan it the first 2 times - but you are the one out of pocket on even the simple wear and tear of the vehicle. I told someone no once (my friend told me her horse destroyed someone else's trailer by excessive pawing) and that person I refused to trailer got into a snit. My trailer was BRAND NEW. I did not care at all if she was going to pay for the damage. I dont' want damage to begin with! I will trailer who I want to - (usually well behaved horses). Absolute NO to the borrowing part. My motto is: if you own horses then it is YOUR responsibility to buy a truck and trailer or pay to haul. I own horses and I like showing, etc so I went out and bought a truck and trailer. If she cannot afford it then that is not your problem.

Comment

Working...
                          X