• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Chicago Sun-Times article about Court Ruling on slaughter issue

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chicago Sun-Times article about Court Ruling on slaughter issue

It's simple.

March 30, 2007

BY MICHAEL SNEED Sun-Times Columnist

It's called pet 'em, whack 'em and eat 'em and it's barbaric.

• • Translation: Butchering a pet for human consumption should be a crime, and it's been going on at the Cavel slaughterhouse in DeKalb, Ill. It began butchering horses for European dinner tables 20 years ago.

That was until 8 a.m. Thursday, when common sense took over.
    That was when the controversial plant was ordered to cease killing horses for human consumption by a U.S. district court in Washington, D.C.

• • Translation: The grisly slaughter of 4,000 pets, race horses, colts, wild horses each month for human consumption in Belgium, France, Switzerland and Italy is over for now.

• • Further translation: But the plant, the only one of its kind now operating in the United States, plans to appeal. (Two plants in Texas were shut down earlier this year by a Texas court.)

"It is a barbaric practice, and the shutting down of the Cavel plant is a tremendous victory for humane advocates across the country," said Jonathan Lovvorn, chief litigating officer for the U.S. Humane Society.
    "It is now up to the U.S. Congress to pass final legislation to end this practice for good."

"Approximately 100,000 horses last year have gone to slaughter under an illegal scheme of the U.S. Department of Agriculture. It's an enormous breach of our trust to send companion animals to slaughter."

• • The Cavel side: "I think it's a terrible decision," said James Tucker, Cavel's general manager. "I think it's a vast disservice to the horse industry and most horse owners.

"Without this option it means that some people won't be able to dispose of their animals as they see fit -- a small group of people has contrived to shut down an industry."

Tucker claims the plant will process the meat "we have from horses that were processed before today."

His concern: "Fifty-five people could be out of work if our appeal doesn't work."

Hmmm. Fifty-five people who listen to the sounds of frightened animals sliding in their blood. Fifty-five people who watch the agony of man's companion animals being slaughtered to put on a European table.

• • Background: Congress took away federal funds going to the U.S. Department of Agriculture to inspect the plants because they didn't want horses going to slaughter for human consumption. "The USDA tried to work around that by issuing a rule allowing the plants to pay for USDA inspection," said Lovvorn. "What just happened is the U.S. district court said nope. It is illegal for them to pay the USDA inspectors ... and the plant can't operate without USDA inspection."

Great job.

Bravo.

• • Addendum: By the way, here is a list of gutless state reps who were responsible for tanking the state's Horse Slaughter Ban bill in 2004. If they reside in your district, you might want to send them a message next time you enter the voting booth: Patricia Bailey, Patricia Bellock, Mike Boland, John Bradley, Dan Brady, Daniel Burke, Lee Daniels, Jack McGuire, Charles Morrow, Ed Sullivan Jr. and Arthur Turner voted "No" -- and James Brosnahan, Marlow Colvin, John Fritchey, Paul Froehlich and Calvin Giles were either excused or didn't vote.
    Barbara www.customstockties.com
    Tulsa-QH; Schnickelfritz-Holsteiner; Atikus-Danish Warmblood; Buddy-QH/TB; Winston-Shire; Thomas-Percheron/TB; Mac-Belgian Draft, gone but never forgotten

Personally I don't think the writer knows at all what hes talking about. None of the horses slaughtered were pets, they were livestock the owner sold. I've slaughtered 100's of animals over the years but no pets. And i've had about every species of domestic animal for pets.

Theres a really big differance between pets and livestock and it has nothing to do with what species an animal is.
    Quality doesn\'t cost it pays.

Comment

I will say though the writer did an excellant job of making sure people don't change their opinions on the subject.

Comment

• Original Poster

What I find so terribly ironic in this entire situation is that the slaughter industry basically shut itself down. No animal rights or welfare organizations were responsible; the slaughter industry shot themselves in their own heart. And the USDA supplied the gun.

So in the end, they self-destructed by breaking a Federal law about paying for the inspections. No emotions; no moral issues; nothing besides they broke the law, plain and simple.

Whether you regard horses as pets or a food source, it really didn't matter in the end. A law is a law is a law, and the fact is, you can only break the law for so long before it will catch up to you.

If anything, the anti-slaughter groups are probably incredulous with how this all ended. The slaughter industry imploded, not exploded.

I find that interesting.
        Tulsa-QH; Schnickelfritz-Holsteiner; Atikus-Danish Warmblood; Buddy-QH/TB; Winston-Shire; Thomas-Percheron/TB; Mac-Belgian Draft, gone but never forgotten

Comment

I agree- the writer has no clue- but i bet he was in the top of his class for descriptive writing!

Comment

I'd still like to know if the Bison, Elk, and other exotic meat industries will be shut down. They use the exact same inspection system. Is it illegal or not?

Comment

Originally posted by Rt66Kix View Post
              So in the end, they self-destructed by breaking a Federal law about paying for the inspections. No emotions; no moral issues; nothing besides they broke the law, plain and simple.
              I still don't get it though- the law was about funding. There wouldn't be any US funding for the inspections. At least that's how I read it.

Was the judge in this case ruling on the "intent" of the law? Or the letter of it?

I guess I will have to go re-read it the law itself.
              "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

What I find so terribly ironic in this entire situation is that the slaughter industry basically shut itself down. No animal rights or welfare organizations were responsible; the slaughter industry shot themselves in their own heart. And the USDA supplied the gun.

Whether you regard horses as pets or a food source, it really didn't matter in the end. A law is a law is a law, and the fact is, you can only break the law for so long before it will catch up to you.

If anything, the anti-slaughter groups are probably incredulous with how this all ended. The slaughter industry imploded, not exploded.

I find that interesting.
                Not exactly.

The ones that made "ban slaughter" the current "cause of the moment" went looking for an angle to use and found it and sued about it, now are taking credit for it:

---"the shutting down of the Cavel plant is a tremendous victory for humane advocates across the country," said Jonathan Lovvorn, chief litigating officer for the U.S. Humane Society. "---

Can happen to any industry, that if you look long enough, someone, somewhere is not doing something quite right and those wanting to use them as "cause celebre" will hunt for that and use it.

Why ban a whole industry, why not right what is found to be wrong, that is my question.

Comment

To say that the horses slaughtered weren't pets, may be incorrect. They may be livestock, but they are not "food animals" in the US. I can guarentee you that not one of those horses were bred to become food. No one in this country has a horse breeding program that focuses on breeding a horse for the leanest cuts of meat. Many of those horses were people's companions or competition animal. Many of those horses were owned by people at some time in their life, who sold them to what they thought was a good home, and never dreamed that a horse they bred, trained or competed would be slaughtered. Many horse owners buy into the notion that it is only the old, or lame that are slaughtered. Many of those horses had previous owners or breeders that if they had known they were in danger of slaughter, would have bought them back and tried to find them a decent home. Look at Champion Lodge's breeders, the TB that just went thru Centennial who's previous owner bought him back after being notified of his situation, and the horse that someone (the breeder) is searching for that went to NH.

Comment

• Original Poster

[quote=county;2328551]None of the horses slaughtered were pets, they were livestock the owner sold.[quote]

So when does a horse stop being a pet, and become livestock? When it goes into the auction ring? When it steps onto the trailer?

When I worked with the slaughter bound trailer wreck in MO last September, some of the horses were not tame. They were difficult to catch; difficult to halter and lead. Obviously they weren't "pets." They were, what I would call, livestock.

But at least half of them WERE what I would call "pets." They were as easy to handle as my horses. Were polite for medicating; stall cleaning; hoof picking; saddling; riding; etc. Obviously someone, at one point or another, had NOT treated them as "livestock." They were accustomed to humans loving on them. In my definition, that means they were treated more as pets than livestock. Their interaction with humans was very different from the other horses on that load.

Theres a really big differance between pets and livestock and it has nothing to do with what species an animal is.
                    But ALL species are entitled to, and deserve, humane treatment. I think it's a gross exaggeration to say that no "pets" were ever slaughtered. There's no way of getting real numbers of pets versus livestock.

As I said earlier, when does a pet become livestock? When it's outlived it's usefulness to the owner? When the owner can't pay for it any longer?

Oh, and I do eat meat. I buy it locally from a meat company who slaughters with bullets, using steers and hogs from local farmers. They haul them there in stock trailers, and it's maybe a 1 hour drive, if that. It's done humanely.

Comment

When does an animal stop being a pet? When the person that owns it no longer wants it to be. I've had lots of pets in my life and never got rid of one till it was dead. Some people don't do it that way when there no longer want it they sell it. The new owner is not obligated to see it as a pet.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Bluey View Post

The ones that made "ban slaughter" the current "cause of the moment" went looking for an angle to use and found it and sued about it, now are taking credit for it
                        Well, honey, if the slaughter industry hadn't broken the law, then there wouldn't be any weak spots for their enemies to exploit. Duh...

I find it interesting that you are blaming the people that blew the whistle on the law-breakers. Right is right; wrong is wrong. No one, not even your beloved slaughter industry, is above the law.

No need to be upset with whatever group called attention to their illegal inspections. Why shoot the messenger?

Comment

BTW my livestock is very easy to handle be it horse , cow, sheep, or hogs. They get excellant care and love every day. But there not pets their livestock, people seem to think sometimes theres no differance between pets and livestock. Its the same as with people I know, some are very good freinds and some are just people I know, still others I have no time for. There all people but theres a really big differance in the ones who are good freinds and the ones I have no time for

Comment

• Original Poster

County, I have no reason to doubt you about the care and handling of your animals. I've not seen them in person, so I wouldn't make any assumptions one way or the other.

I still feel it's presumptuous of you to state that no pets were ever slaughtered. I guess by your definition that when an owner decides, "OK, my horse is no longer a pet; he's now livestock" then perhaps I can understand why you feel that way. I can't imagine "downgrading" a pet to livestock; that seems pretty coldhearted to me.

I also agree that a new owner doesn't have an obligation to treat an animal the same way a previous owner did. Which is why I can not sell or give away my horses and other pets. I would lay awake at night and worry where they are, and how they are being treated.

But then I'm told I have a heightened sense of responsibility...

Comment

I'll bet the farm not one horse sold to a slaughter house is regarded as a pet to the person selling it. No doubt theres many horses slaughtered that were a pet to someone at some time. But not by the person selling it to slaughter.

Myself I've never sold a pet, some people do but thats there choice.

Comment

Well, honey, if the slaughter industry hadn't broken the law, then there wouldn't be any weak spots for their enemies to exploit. Duh...

I find it interesting that you are blaming the people that blew the whistle on the law-breakers. Right is right; wrong is wrong.
                                I know this court decided that, but again, the law was to

"ban using taxpayer funds to inspect horse meat, which would stop horse slaughter in the United States because federal law requires the inspection of all meat. " (from an AP news story from a while back)

Again, if they were paying for the inspections themselves, how were they breaking this law?

I'm confused at how the court reached this conclusion unless they were talking about the intent/spirit of the law and not the letter of it.

And I actually am kind of wondering what county is wondering about how this effects other meat industries that pay for their own inspections, or how it can be legal for bison but not for horse.

I know I don't have the background to successfully argue with an appeals court, and maybe they know something I don't?
                                "smile a lot can let us ride happy,it is good thing"

My CANTER blog.

Comment

BTW I've been told by many many differant people I'm one of the most responsable horse owners they've ever seen. I think the animals I've rescued over the years agree.

Comment

Different people have different motives for posting on slaughter threads. My motives are sometimes to spread information, to defend the cause of humane treatment of animals, and sometimes because I just can't resist feeding trolls.

I believe that Bluey posts so vehemently, if not coherently, because her/his ox is being gored. Follow the money. I would think the same thing about county, but surely he must (?) realize that his presented personna and method of delivery is so off-putting that he's probably done more to promote the anti-slaughter movement than just about any so-called slaughter proponent who posts here. There are some posters (pro-slaughter) who really believe that they present the truth, but don't try to impress us with guerilla tactics or the Chinese Water Torture method of constantly repeating themselves. Those people have my thanks.

Instead of trying to promote my position via COTH, I'm going to work on getting the borders closed. I'll continue to put my money where my mouth is--in donations to rescues, animal welfare groups, and in caring for the rescued horses who already live with me.

Have fun y'all.
                                    Barbaro Cultist, Metabolic Nazi

Comment

ROTFLMAO, The exact same thing is done by many many anti slaughter people on every thread.

BTW follow the money? Can you explain that and where exactly do you get your facts? Or do you bother with them at all?

Comment

Caffinated- RainyDayRide posted a link to the ruling on the thread about the appaels court decision. Basically, the slaughterhouses and USDA violated the law by knowingly changing the inspection process for horses without following the law requiring an Environmental Impact Study before implementing their new procedures. The slaughterhouses were allowed to pay for their own inspectors for Bison and the like, because they are considered "exotics" not livestock. Horses were listed as livestock and under FSIS guidelines must be USDA inspected. The slaughterhouses/USDA then "arbitrarily and Capriciously" moved horses over to the "exotic" side, covering the "pay for their own inspections". They did so, knowing the law requiring an EIS study, but basically just decided to do it without regard to the law. The court felt that they were not allowed to just violate the law because they didn't want to lose their financial profit.

The courts did not rule on 2 of the other complaints regarding the lack of input period from the citizens, because the violation of the first situation was so blatent and required that they be shut down, so any ruling the court made on the other 2 issues would be a moot point.

Comment

Working...
                                        X