• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ponies vs. small horses?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ponies vs. small horses?

Well the grandson is doing very well taking lessons and I am thinking about next year and wondered if those that can, will comment on getting a small horse vs. a pony?

GS will be 8 and is riding both Lita and Bonnie - he takes two lessons a week, one on Bonnie and one on Lita. He loves Bonnie since she is "goey" but likes Lita cause Lita knows her stuff.

Bonnie now belongs to my boarder who is paying for training. Lita is a gem, but when GS goes beyond walking and trotting, GS will need another horse or pony to ride. I will not ask Lita to do cantering at her age, and so when both the little's who are sharing her outgrow her or go beyond a simple walk and trot on the flat, I promised Lita she would retire to green pastures and be a lazy mare. We do NOT jump Lita, not even over tiny cross rails. Lita is wonderful for beginner beginners and at age 26, she's earned her retirement after the next year of teaching her last beginners - lol.

Now my question: I am looking on the internet at ponies for sale and at small horses for sale. I am NOT adverse to adopting another "oldie" but goodie that could do cantering. So all those that have some older equines as I simply do believe the older equines that are kid friendly, equally deserve to be considered, if you have a MARE that would work ( I only have mares here, I luv them), contact me. GS is taking dressage lessons and I am suspecting he will want to do some jumping sometime in his future riding (boys - ya know), but what is the difference in a large "pony" and a small horse?

Is there any difference? As long as said "small" horse is 14.2 - it's considered a pony, right?

There seems to be a huge difference in pricing between a "large pony" and a small horse.

I am shopping in advance because I have a trainer that can keep said new addition in condition and because if GS outgrows the w/t during the winter, I will have said "move up" pony here for him. In any event, it pays to be think ahead and to consider the pros and cons of any purchase.

I am looking for a pony that is older, done dressage and maybe some x-country/hunters. I firmly believe children should learn dressage first, then they can move on to hunters or doing x-c.

So what say you about looking at small horses vs. large ponies? Other than the price, what is the difference?

The only reason (other than size, ability to groom and tack alone, etc.) to consider a pony over a small horse is if the kid wants to show in pony classes. Both hunters and to a lesser extent, dressage, have classes restricted to junior riders on ponies.

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks joiedevie99 - but if a small horse is, say 14.1 hands, couldn't it go in the pony classes? Sorry I am just not familiar with the rules on that. My daughters moved up from wee tiny ponies to horses over a period of years so it was never an issue.

The GS wants to do dressage in the spring, but I can guarantee you, that he will want to do jumping as well. Which is good...we need more boys in the x-c and hunters, but I don't want to get a horse/pony that can't compete because the next one we get, I hope will be ridden for several years - which is why I am looking at one 14 - 14.2 hands.

I guess I don't understand?

Comment

Originally posted by sidepasser View Post
        Thanks joiedevie99 - but if a small horse is, say 14.1 hands, couldn't it go in the pony classes? Sorry I am just not familiar with the rules on that. My daughters moved up from wee tiny ponies to horses over a period of years so it was never an issue.

The GS wants to do dressage in the spring, but I can guarantee you, that he will want to do jumping as well. Which is good...we need more boys in the x-c and hunters, but I don't want to get a horse/pony that can't compete because the next one we get, I hope will be ridden for several years - which is why I am looking at one 14 - 14.2 hands.

I guess I don't understand?
        I think you're just tripping on terminology. ANYTHING 14.2 and under is a pony, regardless of it's breeding or wether you think it is built more like a "horse" than a "pony." Happy pony hunting!

Comment

Anything under 14.2hh is considered a pony. Usually, you can get a 14.3hh for significantly cheaper than the 14.1hh version. Unless he plans to show in the pony divisions (fun, but completely unnecessary) I'd probably opt for something just over pony height and get more bang for my buck.

Comment

Don't have much to add but i skipped ponies altogether. True i was about 13 when i started riding but i started on an old ex roping horse who was 15 or so. But then most western people just start on the old almost retired ranch horse anyways.

A pro would be that they are slightly bigger then a large pony so you will most likely be able to ride them for longer. But i guess if he's really wanting to show you may have trouble finding appropriate classes but not sure about that either.

P.
            A Wandering Albertan - NEW Africa travel blog!

Comment

I don't really know what you are saying here but ...

If you buy a 14.1hh pony then it is a pony and can compete in pony divisions. If you buy a 15hh small horse then it is a horse and won't be able to compete in the pony divisions.

Comment

Originally posted by Polydor View Post
                Don't have much to add but i skipped ponies altogether. True i was about 13 when i started riding but i started on an old ex roping horse who was 15 or so. But then most western people just start on the old almost retired ranch horse anyways.

A pro would be that they are slightly bigger then a large pony so you will most likely be able to ride them for longer. But i guess if he's really wanting to show you may have trouble finding appropriate classes but not sure about that either.

P.
                I just started riding my first pony and I'm 35 She is a Haflinger and does dressage and jumps. She is bomp proof but has taken advantage of all the lesson kids(ignores them and goes to the nearest food source) so she is mine for now until she is sold. When I am on her she feels very much a horse but she is probally 13.2.
                I would say to not limit yourself to a size but to what will work for your child. Happy horse/pony hunting

Dawn
                Dawn

Patience and Consistency are Your Friends

Comment

• Original Poster

People advertise their ponies as "ponies" but horses are advertised as "horses" regardless of height. Just shop on any of the websites and unless you put in the size, most people consider a Quarter Horse a horse, regardless of whether it is 14 hands or 17 hands.

That is why I was asking. GS won't need a real "fancy" pony, so I was looking at QHs, Paints, "small" tbs, etc. and have to look at them under horses, not "ponies". Ponies are priced considerably higher than horses that are advertised at the same height.

I am not worried about the "pony" divisions as he will be doing dressage shows first, then perhaps some x-c as he is my "wild child" GS..fearless and absolutely in luv with lessons and horses. He had to miss his Monday lesson due to dental visit and he called me to tell me how unhappy he was about it - lol. Out of 7 Grands, I have one that is horse crazy..trust me, I WILL take advantage of that - lol.

Thanks, I didn't know if there was something "different" about the way people advertise or not. I am doing better price wise looking at "small" horses than at large ponies.

Something folks need to keep in mind when advertising - perhaps put the horse in both categories if it fits!

Comment

Also be aware that is not uncommon for people to misjudge/miss-measure their horses Small horses (14.3-15.1) tend to be quite affordable as they don't make the pony cut off and are on the small side for adult riders and older/tall kids.

Comment

• Original Poster

No kidding Skipchange - I have looked at 16 hand horses that by miracle of miracles either grew or shrunk in the wash.

I was thinking of an older QH/Paint/arabx or TB for him that can't do the high levels anymore and just wants to cart around a beginner but has good ground manners and likes to still compete. Of course whatever I get will retire here and stay here until they pass away so wanted something he could ride until he was nearing his teens. He's tiny, his mom is only 4 ft. 10 inches and he is the smallest little kid I've seen in a while. So nothing too big for him, I was thinking about something in the 14 hand category since he is comfortable on Lita and she is 15 hands.

I asked the question because comparable horses on the net, if advertised as a pony, tend to be a couple of thousand dollars more, than a comparable small horse on the net. Comparable meaning age, temparment, child experienced, some show experience and not tottering around on three legs. I don't mind joint injections at that age or some minor vet maintenance, but do not want to get one that is lame or not rideable for much of the time.

So am shopping ahead and seeing what is out there and came across this issue and said "what?" is this about? I haven't shopped for a child's horse in over 20 years, so didn't know if things have changed or not.

Thanks everyone - and any rescues out there, if you have something that would work, I am always up for adoption.

Comment

Regardless of how its advertised or whether it is a Welsh 'pony' or a quarter 'horse' - pony is anything that measures under 14.2 hands. Horse is anything that is over 14.2

Unless your child wants to show in a pony restricted class, whether you buy something 14.1 or 14.3 really doesn't matter as long as it works for the kid.

If it is fancy and competitive in the hunters with a child, the difference between 14.1 and 14.3 can be $30k+. However, if you aren't looking at fancy hunters, it shouldn't be much different.

Comment

We didn't do so well not finding "snotty ponies" for my daughter when we were shopping. She ended up with a 15H Appy mare. That one sadly went blind from Appy uvetis. The replacement was advertised as a 15H unregistered QH. Given that he is gaited I seriously doubt he is a QH! But it's the one she wanted anyway. She only likes trail riding so it's fine. Everyone that looks at him agrees on "tenesee walker!". He was a couple hundered pounds underweight and his feet were mega long when we got him. As our farrier joked "it looks like he was done every 6 months weather he needed it or not...........". With his toes trimmed back he is way less "gaited" now. We paid less under 1K for him too. Asking price was 1300 but he had some issues (stall weaving and a capped hock) so I neg down on that...but he is riding sound/the cap is cosmetic and he lives out with no weaving most of the time. When he comes in for nasty weather he just has to deal with the stall. Since the QH-Walker critter is built very narrow he is a good kid sized horse at 15H........he takes up very little leg!!
                          Providence Farm
                          http://providencefarmpintos.blogspot.com/

Comment

I'm short. At my age, it isn't going to change.

From a short person's perspective, I think ponies (or pony size beasts, lol) are more fun than something bigger. They feel more "my size" and not to mention the pony breeds are hardier, eat less, and seldom need shoes. They also tend to live longer.

My "big ponies" have always been easier keepers and consumed noticeably less feed than my "small horses".

Just a few more considerations.
                            Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
                            Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Comment

I think a pony is best for young kids. They are a lot of fun, closer to the ground and I think easier for kids to do things with than the bigger horses. I love our ponies! :-)

My daughter's first pony was (is, as we still have her!) 11.2. Brilliant pony who went from being a leading rein pony to competing at State Dressage and beating the Warmbloods, has a great little jump and carted my daughter safely around her first ODEs.

When she started to outgrow little Cherry, we looked forever for a 13.2 pony and ended up with the current 14.0 pony. My daughter is 14 and 14 hands is perfect for her. We have a 15.2 Thoroughbred that she is riding in lessons and will move onto, but I am happy we have been able to keep her on the ponies.

Here, you rarely see small children on horses. It's sort of a progression through the little ponies to the big ponies and then onto the horses.

Comment

Working...
                              X