• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Since when does giving a 14 year old some advice equal verbal assault?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• umm having other thoughts now --

kid was wrong right-- and we all know if we would have seen it would have corrrected said kid -- to encoruage them its not the done thing and like op did showed her the correct thing---

kid is spoilt so went to mummy --

mummy comes back shouting mouth off--
    op reports to barn owner - and hopefully can find out owner
    - now op ssays she hasnt spoken to anyone else

but she did to bo--- and he said if it happens again would give them the out card--

so did the b/o take action and warn ssaid -- spolit family --to back off

now judging by - spolit kid and mums atitude-- they not going to leave it just there--
    o - then kid suckers up to o/h ---- um

this could be a ploy -- amulitative ploy of both either to get you out but and there is a big but --

people like this want blood-------so they dont just stop there as they are very rightoues

ok -- going to try to explain the child protection thingy a bit
    i know you are aware of it -
    so --
    hubby runs a judo club right and he takes kids to events that can be girls or boys - he does not take them ever on his own-- he has another adult with hiim if he takes a girl then he make sure another girl of 18 is with her if a boy the same or another adult of same sex mostly its boys and he goes with the other instructor -- and kid but sometimes girls compete

my point -- if it is a maliptive ploy - then o/h cant be left alone with said kid at any time ----

Comment

• Originally posted by pacificsolo
      Hehehe...I'd be one step ahead of this crazy lady and file for a restraining order on the mom She sounds like a nut and I'd want a paper-trail.
      Me too...

I think you did nothing wrong, as a matter of fact I would have taken it one step further and spoke to the BM/Bo about this rotten girl's behavior. I don't care what the horse did wrong, no horse deserves to be whipped in the face. As we all know...you can do everything right and things can go wrong in a fraction of a second, and someone can end up injured severely or dead, it's only a matter of time before this girl gets an unpleasant shock.
      Last edited by chism; Mar. 9, 2007, 08:22 AM.
      "We're still right, they're still wrong" James Carville

Comment

• I agree with Chism all the way...I would tell the BO/BM. Any reports of abuse should not go unreported. The docile pony could decide one day that he/she has had it with the treatment recieved by the kid & without previous info on how it was treated, the pony could be blamed. Also, how much horse experience does Mom have? She may see her 14yr old as an all-knowing seasoned horse-person. Especially if the kid has any USPC experience. 1 blue ribbon & parents think their kid can run a barn.
        The only other comment I have is, in PC, they teach the kids NOT to hold onto their ponies, right under the shank. Instead, the pony/horse should be lead with ample slack in the lead rope. Their point is, if you hold a horse, right under the snap & they decide to take off, rear up or whatever, you have less control if up at the snap rather than near the end of the rope & your arm can get yanked out of the socket. Kids with any degree of fear in leading their pony (which may be why the child flipped out in the first place...lack of confidence) tend to hold up close thinking they have better control.
        But you did the right thing. I couldn't stand by while anyone abused an animal.

Comment

• Originally posted by wineberrywillie View Post
          in PC, they teach the kids NOT to hold onto their ponies, right under the shank. Instead, the pony/horse should be lead with ample slack in the lead rope.
          Wait a minute... I was in pony club and we were taught to lead the pony with both hands. Right hand is a few inches under the chin, and the left hand it holding the slack.... NOT wrapped around your hand, bunched up. We were taught NEVER to lead by halters for the reasons you just mentioned, no fun having arms yanked out of sockets!, but a few inches under the chin is appropriate. Is that what you meant?
          Meredith Barlow, EqDT
          http://www.equidentistry.com
          Meredith offers seminars on equine dentistry free of charge. Call or email to set up yours today!

Comment

• YOU did nothing illegal...BUT stay out of it. Just watch the trainwreck and maybe catch the horse when the drama's done. "Throw not your pearls to swine..."
            "Sic Gorgiamus Allos Subjectatos Nunc"

Comment

• Originally posted by Trakehner View Post
              YOU did nothing illegal...BUT stay out of it. Just watch the trainwreck and maybe catch the horse when the drama's done. "Throw not your pearls to swine..."
              You do realize Trakehner that this post is from March 2007?

Comment

• I would love to hear a follow up, now, 5 years later.

Comment

• poor horse. point the finger 3 pointing back. your actions, not verbal assault, what mamma did yeesh I am not so sure. Poor horse.
                  Just like our eyes, our hearts have a way of adjusting to the dark.--Adam Stanley

Comment

• You know you didn't do anything wrong and these people are animal abusing nut cases.

Yep, animal abusers. Had mama come screaming at me I would've told her, in quite a polite quiet voice, that if I ever see her daughter beating a horse about the head again I won't bother saying one word to her but I most certainly will report her to the humane society. And that if she didn't back up just a tad herself and stop screaming I'm dialing 911 from my cell phone. And do it. I'm too old to put up with crackpot mothers and snotty teenagers who get their jollies by knocking horses about the head. I know that type and they don't change.

Comment

• Originally posted by archieflies View Post
                      This isn't a popular opinion to hold, but I get the feeling that this world (or maybe just our society) puts a little too much importance on children. They are golden. They are our hope and future. They must be protected at all costs. They must not be held back. Children are supreme. And as such, they are always right. They cannot be challenged. And its not just the spoiled rich kids... its all of them. Its done with good intentions, but it is nearly always carried too far. That's how we get kids who don't know how to take advice. That's how we get parents who believe their child's every word. That's how we get authorities swooping in to investigate every allegation. That's how we get responsible parents who are shunned for disciplining their children. Because children are our society's supreme diety.

And so, if this mother wanted to sue you based on her child's accusations, she could at least succeed in getting a restraining order against you. She could easily ruin your reputation. And you probably wouldn't be welcome in the barn because of the fuss, but the child would not be asked to leave, because, after all, she's just a child. Yes, they could easily do damage.

I am a teacher. Today I had a 7th grade girl who repeatedly got up out of her seat, wandered across the room, and distracted other students during an assignment. My pleas to sit down were ignored. I walked over to where the girl was trying to pick a fight with a boy and moved in closely, careful not to touch. I looked her in the eye. She smirked back and pushed past me. I finally put myself between her and the boy and rested my hand gently on the girl's shoulder, guiding her back to her seat. The whole class went dead silent, amazed that I would make PHYSICAL CONTACT with the girl. After staring at me in shock for a few minutes, the girl exploded into a tyrade of, "I'm going to tell the principle you touched me! You hit me! That's what I'm going to tell them! You don't get to touch me! My parents will sue! Did yall see her? She hit me!!" She eventually wore herself out and gave up because I was ignoring her (and without attention, the tantrum wasn't any fun), but the initial reaction from her and the classmates was very telling. Utter shock that I would dare to "cross the line." They've never seen it! They may be kids, but they've picked up on society's unspoken (or spoken?) rules that say adults should tiptoe around children and treat them like crystal glasses. And if she wanted, she probably could raise a fuss, lie and say I hit her, get her classmates to back her up, and never have her integrity questioned. And I'd be the "bad adult" who invaded her rights. Nevermind that I've been physically attacked by students, hit, had things thrown at me, ridiculed, and all that by students... they are children, they "don't know better." (Now do they really not know better, or do we just not expect them to know better?) But I am an adult, and, as such, less valued than a child. They are the future, I am not. (A questionable future, I say.) And because we're failing miserably in the present, we coddle our future and hope they'll bail us out...

Long rant, I apologize. But really, I do believe we've taken "children's rights" a bit too far. It's time to have higher expectations for children.
                      Great post!

Comment

• I dunno how this one got posted but it's some good readin'.
                        GR24's Musing #19 - Save the tatas!!

Comment

• You ran into Mommy Dearest. Hopefully for the last time. I hope the BO has a few words with her.

Comment

• >><<>><<
                            Last edited by HanoverJumper; Dec. 29, 2012, 09:41 PM. Reason: saw it was an old thread
                            Live Free Or Die Hard

Comment

• Originally posted by Chief2 View Post
                              There are some parents who do not want anyone correcting their child but themselves. They particularly do not want anyone raising their voice to that child either (which I know you did not do). It is a control issue, pure and simple. This is a very important step in the raising of a princess. Soon, she will be annoying a lot more people in the barn besides you! Enjoy working with your horse, and give these royalty-wannabes a wide berth.
                              That story reminds me of the time I'm on a long flight, 5+ hours and the kid behind me starts kicking my seat. The following conversation ensued:

Me: [turning to the child who I think was maybe 4 or 5]: Please do not kick my seat
                              Child [ignores me and continues to kick the seat]

Mom: Don't speak to my child that way
                              Me: I wouldn't have to, if you would supervise him.

Comment

• Brat

Wow i dont agree with useing chain shanks any ways. Fricken spoiled brat. Yes if my horse went to trot ahead of me i would have backed him up but not to that extreme and never ever would i whip him

Comment

• I think this post was the answer to What Is Buried In My Front Yard.
                                  "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

• LOL, someone dredged up a thread from 2007? Maybe child is all grown up now and she's the one who had to take out a restraining order against her parents for stalking. Very true, happened in Cincinnati.

Comment

• I hope somehow the owner is contacted. Sounds like a saint of a horse that deserves better and should have no problem finding a family who will appreciate all he has to offer. I have barn friends that lease out their older campaigners and I absolutely would step in if I saw a leasee treating the horse like this. I doubt i would have been as kind as you. That kid would be walking back to the barn without her pony and explaining to the owner and trainer exactly why. Maybe next time mommy dearest gets in your face suggest calling the owner right then and there.

Comment

• Originally posted by HJAlter84 View Post
                                        I hope somehow the owner is contacted. Sounds like a saint of a horse that deserves better and should have no problem finding a family who will appreciate all he has to offer. I have barn friends that lease out their older campaigners and I absolutely would step in if I saw a leasee treating the horse like this. I doubt i would have been as kind as you. That kid would be walking back to the barn without her pony and explaining to the owner and trainer exactly why. Maybe next time mommy dearest gets in your face suggest calling the owner right then and there.
                                        You're a little late to the party. The thread is from 2007.

Comment

• Parenting and reading for content are both on the endangered list...lol
                                          "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                                          carolprudm

Comment

Working...
                                          X