• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

HORSELOVERZ!!!! Is this LEGAL??? Need Advice how to Proceed!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• HORSELOVERZ!!!! Is this LEGAL??? Need Advice how to Proceed!

I've been looking for a comfortable trail saddle for quite some time, researching, and checking prices. Finally settled on a Tucker saddle, and came across a great deal on HORSELOVERZ.COM. They advertised a Tucker River Plantation saddle for 1/2 price, regular price was $1449, and the advertised sale price was $725. I also had a promo code of 10% off, so I called, spoke with a customer service rep, placed the order, got an invoice, and confirmation to my email. Paid the invoice, they deducted the money from my account, and I got a confirmation that the invoice was paid in full, and my order was 'in process'. Well, I was awaiting an email that my saddle was shipped, INSTEAD I got an email that they cancelled the transaction and were going to refund my money because the manufacturer wouldn't allow them to sell the saddle for that price!

Well, I'm really upset. I spent a lot of time making the decision to purchase this particular saddle, went to a tack shop twice to try out a tucker like it, and to check wither tracings to be sure it would fit. I also had a deposit on a used Tucker Gen II at the tack shop and I cancelled that transaction to buy the horseloverz saddle.

My question is this...Can they LEGALLY do that? They advertised the saddle for a set price, they gave me an invoice and actually sold me the saddle for that price, and took the money. Wouldn't that be false advertising and also breach of contract? I would think they would have to give me the saddle for the price they sold it to me for, and figure out how to make it right on their side. Not my fault, theirs....Any attorneys care to comment? I'm really, really upset, never had anything like this happen before.

Thanks!!!!

Someone made a mistake. You purchased it for 1/2 price- is it hard for you to believe someone made a bona fide mistake at that price? It doesn't sound like they bait and switched it or tried to stick it to you in some other way. Why not just drop it. Such is life, not worth wasting the negative energy over.

Comment

they pull this kind of crap all the time. They do it on Ebay too- they have items listed really low, and then right before the auction is about to end - if it isn't at the price it should be they end the item early saying "no longer in stock."

There are so many stories about this company - I don't know why anyone would do business with them.

sorry about your saddle- what a bummer.

Comment

My best friend owns a tack shop and her biggest pet peeve is a" customer" like you who comes in, tries a saddle, comes back to try it AGAIN, and then orders it from some on line outfit. Give me a break.

Comment

I know the kind of angry and disappointed you are right now. You'll probably need a few weeks to calm down.
          By refunding your money they probably covered their you-know-what. I don't know though...there's that whole truth in advertising thing...
          Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Comment

Originally posted by Sparky View Post
            My best friend owns a tack shop and her biggest pet peeve is a" customer" like you who comes in, tries a saddle, comes back to try it AGAIN, and then orders it from some on line outfit. Give me a break.
            Ouch.
            Founding Member of "I Kept 'Off Topic Day!' Open"

Comment

I worked in a tack store for years and this was very common.

We'd have Dad's come in and measure our tack boxes and take pictures to go build their own.

At the end of the day we would either try to WOW them with our customer service and get them to buy our product, wait until they realize it's too hard or customer service at other places is horrible (horseloverz.. etc) or just shake it off and focus on customers that will actually BUY things
              http://www.clarkdesigngrouparchitects.com/index.html - Lets build your dream barn

Comment

Isn't it true in a retail store that if an item is marked by the store at a certain price, they are required by law to sell it to you at that price-even if it's a mistake on thier part? Does that not apply to mail order.

And Sparky-I understand your friend's frustration, but for a big ticket item, I, for one, am absolutely going to buy the product from the retailer who offers the best price. I know that my local tack store, for example, is very expensive compared to online retailers. I give them a lot of business because they are AWESOME, but still buy the expensive stuff where I can get the best price. A $50 savings is huge for a person on a limited budget. If a tack store won't sell at the lowest price, they will lose some sales on items that are not emergency purchases.

Comment

Yeah ouch. For the store with the first class customer service who works to make a customer satisifed and who has a person there to give advice or take care of a problem and sometimes spend considerable time to find the right saddle for a customer only to have that customer order online later from someone else with lower overhead.

It was the same thing as when I used to work in the Nursery Business and the big box stores started opening and selling plants. People would come to us for valuable and knowledgeable advice, and help in their landscape design and then they would go to a box box store and by the cheap stuff. Many of those family owned businesses are gone now.

Comment

OP: your state probably has some type of "consumer protection bureau". It would be a state office, not a local government thing. Look up the number and call them Monday morning. They'll be able to give you the best legal advice, for free. If they agree with you, they may even be willing to pursue it with the seller for you.

Have paper and scanned versions of all paperwork - original ad, confirmations, proof that they took the $ from you and then gave it back, and their reasoning. Keep extra copies of everything. You might even want to go back to the tack store and get something in writing from them, on their letterhead, confirming your history of having had a similar item on hold and then cancelling it (proves your lost opportunity cost - the "damages").
                    Incredible Invisible

Comment

Originally posted by Quin View Post
                      OP: your state probably has some type of "consumer protection bureau". It would be a state office, not a local government thing. Look up the number and call them Monday morning. They'll be able to give you the best legal advice, for free. If they agree with you, they may even be willing to pursue it with the seller for you.

Have paper and scanned versions of all paperwork - original ad, confirmations, proof that they took the $ from you and then gave it back, and their reasoning. Keep extra copies of everything. You might even want to go back to the tack store and get something in writing from them, on their letterhead, confirming your history of having had a similar item on hold and then cancelling it (proves your lost opportunity cost - the "damages").

Good advice

Comment

Oh god, I know. There's nothing I hate more than people who try to make educated choices before spending hundreds of dollars. How dare they choose to spend it somewhere else?

Those bastards.

Comment

Did they actually refund the money?

Comment

Originally posted by Paragon View Post
                            Oh god, I know. There's nothing I hate more than people who try to make educated choices before spending hundreds of dollars. How dare they choose to spend it somewhere else?

Those bastards.

Yes, and please remember this when the local tack stores go out of business and you can no longer go there to check out the saddles (which they've already purchased and have there for you to see, feel, touch and try) and the boots, which they conveniently have in several sizes, along with the bootpulls for you to try and the breeches and the coats and, and and and. They usually have pretty knowledgeable clerks to help you find the appropriate style and size, they're usually pretty well versed in "what's in" and they dutifully take their time to help you, clean up after you, just so that you can go online and save a couple bucks by buying online.
                            In an age when scientists are creating artificial intelligence, too many of our educational institutions seem to be creating artificial stupidity.—Thomas Sowell, Is Thinking Obsolete?

Comment

I'm not surprised at this at all. Equiteric is a horrible company. Now just wait for their Customer Service rep who is a member on here to come storming in and promise to make everything all better.
                              Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

Sparky, you go girl. I totally agree with you.

Comment

I don't think they did anything illegal. I work for a large mail order company and we have had similar things happen. A customer places an order, we charge their card in anticipation of the item shipping from the mfr, THEN we find out something that prevents the sale (product is discontinued, price has risen 200%, etc). By refunding the money the transaction is cancelled.

"Truth in advertising" only applies to price if when you get to the cash register (i.e. the shopping cart) a different price or item is displayed. But a sale is an agreement between TWO parties - and either party can back out at any time, so long as neither merchandise nor money has permanently changed hands. Remember - a product can be returned, and money can be refunded. Also, read the fine print on their site. If it says something like "not responsible for typos" or "pricing subject to change at any time without notice" they have a way out. Oftentimes a website is not updated immediately when a price changes so they have to have a way to cover their butt. On our site, it takes up to two hours for product and price changes to go live. We have to have a legal way to cover our butts for the order that comes in during the limbo period.

What IS illegal is the manufacturer telling a reseller what price they can/cannot sell a product for. They can dictate what price an item is ADVERTISED for but legally they cannot dictate the SELLING price. A vendor can be restricted from advertising a sale price, and would have to put "call for price" or something on their site, but the manufacturer cannot tell them what they must sell it for. That we have had our lawyers research several times, due to manufacturers trying to play that game with us over the decades.

So, there's nothing you can do. You could maybe call the company and try to cajole the manager into honoring the sale, but it's doubtful they will. It sounds like they were caught advertising below the allowed price and got their hands slapped.

Comment

Sorry about the let down

I don't think you have any recourse since they gave you a refund. Brings to mind that when something looks too good to be true, it probably IS!

Comment

Although I don't have any specific advice, I would certainly raise hell over this. Horseloverz should be eating the difference if they can't get the saddle from the manufacturer at that price. And if you don't actually get the deal on the saddle you wanted, spreading the word to fellow shoppers is imo the best thing to do.

If they are not willing to work with you I would also send an email to COTH outlining the shady business practices and complain that COTH carries a horseloverz add.
                                      Jigga:
                                      Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Comment

Originally posted by HenryisBlaisin' View Post
                                        Isn't it true in a retail store that if an item is marked by the store at a certain price, they are required by law to sell it to you at that price-even if it's a mistake on thier part?
                                        No, common misconception. Say you walk into Walmart and they have BBQ grills advertised at $3.99. You take a grill up to the register and try to purchase it. Then, they inform you that the price was a mistake. They do NOT have to honor that price. Why, you ask?

Their advertising the item is not the "offer" under the law. (In order to have a contract, you must have an offer and acceptance of that offer) The courts have determined that when you bring the BBQ to the cash register, YOU are offering to purchase the product at the advertised price. When the store accepts your offer, a contract is formed. They can refuse to accept your "offer" even if the item is marked at that price.

Without knowing more specifics on your situation, I wouldn't speculate as to what is going on with horseloverz...but it sounds as though they accepted the OPs offer.

Comment

Working...
                                        X