• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse
1 of 2 < >

Event Announcements now available FREE to all registered users

We just reconfigured the Event Announcements forum to be available as a free service for all registered forum users. See the thread stuck at the top of that forum for more information.
2 of 2 < >

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sad, and scary...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Sad, and scary...

I was at the tack store today, and overheard a woman speaking with one of the clerks. She asked if the clerk could reccomend a barn and trainer for a 14 month old TB filly. Said that her girls were horse crazy, and their grandparents had purchased this horse for them. The woman explained that she was scared to death of the horse, it was too jumpy, and had gotten scared by a dog, took off bucking and kicked her daughter. They were keeping this yearling in a stall, because they dont have fencing up yet. The clerk was trying to be tactful, but I could not help myself, interrupted and asked her if she minded some free advice. I told the woman that a 14 month old should be out running and playing with other young horses, that any handling needed to be done by someone experienced with young horses, and that a stall was not appropriate. That a 14 month old was like a toddler, and its reaction to the dog was normal. The woman asked me if her girls would ever be able to ride the horse. Explained that it would be at least two years before the filly could be backed, that it would take a professional, and that it would quite possible never be appropriate for her girls. At this point the clerk spoke up and told her she needed a well trained 14 year old horse, not a 14 month old.
    I just dont understand how someone could take an animal and not research a little bit beforehand. WHAT were the grandparents thinking?? And who would sell a 14 month old filly to someone for two young (grade school age) girls!?

The trouble is, there are more horses available than knowledgeable horsepeople. There is no way of knowing what the grandparents were thinking, but it is reasonable to assume their intentions were good.

Is it at all possible for you to spend your valuable time with the 14 month old horse, teach it how to lead, enjoy being groomed, and standing tied, and at the same time, teach the girls safe horse handling?

As a responsible horse person, you'd be paying it forward to help others learn. While it would be nice to be paid for your services, in the current economic situation, this might not be a viable option for people new to horses, what with paying for hay, shoeing and other related expences they didn't anticipate.

By helping, you would be keeping the horse from becoming dinner on somebodies dinner plate.

Too often horsepeople are critical of decisions people who have no horse knowledge make. It would make the world a better place, if horsepeople took the time to help non-horsepeople become horsepeople.

Lecturing non-horsepeople does not win any converts to the ranks of horsepersons.

Comment

I think lecturing CAN help. It's what teachers do. That poor woman needs SOMEONE to tell her what's what, she obviously has her children's best interests in mind and is willing to spend money on trainer and boarding barn. She's doing everything right, just needs the information to go along with it. Grandparents were the ones who apparently were swindled by a horse seller; let the mom do the right thing. She can't be all that stupid if she went to a tack store to ask about a trainer...

Originally posted by mishmash
      I just dont understand how someone could take an animal and not research a little bit beforehand.
      Anyone who's ever bought a puppy, or heard of someone who has, as a very well-received kids' present that turned out very well.

WHAT were the grandparents thinking??
      That they were getting their granddaughters a MUCH-DESIRED present.

And who would sell a 14 month old filly to someone for two young (grade school age) girls!?
      ANY unscrupulous seller (and we ALL know there're a BUNCH out there ). And it's PROBABLY what the grandparents ASKED for, a young (remember how parents buy their kids a puppy, not a grown dog?), filly (because they're GIRLS, after all), that's really PRETTY (and Thoroughbreds fill THAT, for sure, besides being that delicate, wispy type of beauty that commercial products sell to girls). And there you have it! The PERFECT horse for horse-crazy grade-school girls!!!

And, by the way, I think that offering to help them with the filly will just turn the kids (and the rest of the family) off kids forever. This horse is NEVER going to be kid-safe. The tack-store clerk was right.
      Last edited by nightsong; Oct. 7, 2009, 08:45 AM.

Comment

perfectly said NightSong.

And let's not forget. The parents could have said NO. They are really the ones who are responsible here.

Sorry, but the parents need an intervention. The horse needs to be removed before it goes nuts and kills someone.

There is no cure for stupidity.
        I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoofprince in Mud View Post
          The trouble is, there are more horses available than knowledgeable horsepeople. There is no way of knowing what the grandparents were thinking, but it is reasonable to assume their intentions were good.

Is it at all possible for you to spend your valuable time with the 14 month old horse, teach it how to lead, enjoy being groomed, and standing tied, and at the same time, teach the girls safe horse handling?

As a responsible horse person, you'd be paying it forward to help others learn. While it would be nice to be paid for your services, in the current economic situation, this might not be a viable option for people new to horses, what with paying for hay, shoeing and other related expences they didn't anticipate.

By helping, you would be keeping the horse from becoming dinner on somebodies dinner plate.

Too often horsepeople are critical of decisions people who have no horse knowledge make. It would make the world a better place, if horsepeople took the time to help non-horsepeople become horsepeople.

Lecturing non-horsepeople does not win any converts to the ranks of horsepersons.
          Let me see if I understand you correctly. You're suggesting that the OP give this complete, clueless stranger an indefinite amount of her time and expertise, for an indefinite period of time, put herself in probable physical jeopardy by handling a supercharged 14 month old TB who's been stallbound for god knows how long, and then presume to teach clueless stranger's young children how to safely do the same?

Ohhh-kay.

Your intentions are good, but your suggestion of how to execute them is completely ridiculous. Think twice before you type, eh?
          In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
          A life lived by example, done too soon.
          www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

Perfect example

I have a boarder that got a registered Arab gelding (Kemosabi bred) free. Why? The parents bought him for their daughter who rode somewhat. Daughter got bucked off, hurt badly and the girl who boards with me knew them. They called her and told her to take the horse that the daughter was never riding again.

I now have a gorgeous really sweet Arab for a boarder. The new owner is a great rider , great boarder.

It's lucky the daughter didn't get killed. . . really stupid situation.
            RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

Originally posted by Eventer55 View Post
              I have a boarder that got a registered Arab gelding (Kemosabi bred) free. Why? The parents bought him for their daughter who rode somewhat. Daughter got bucked off, hurt badly and the girl who boards with me knew them. They called her and told her to take the horse that the daughter was never riding again.

I now have a gorgeous really sweet Arab for a boarder. The new owner is a great rider , great boarder.

It's lucky the daughter didn't get killed. . . really stupid situation.
              What does that have to do with anything?
              Jigga:
              Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Comment

• Original Poster

I don't even know these people-when I left they were in the process of getting numbers of boarding barns.
                If the woman thought I was lecturing her, so be it. At least I let her know she was putting her kids in danger, and not doing the horse any favors, either. Hopefully she got the message a young horse has different issues, needs and training concerns than a puppy.
                Around this BB, it's darned if you do and darned if you don't. If I hadn't spoken up, would be getting slammed for that....

Comment

OK, I need to interject here. I was a horse crazy kid that took lessons my entire childhood. At 25, my husband bought me my first horse, a green broke BEAST. Neither of us knew any better. I had a gf over to meet the horse and she told me in no uncertain terms to get rid of this horse. I was crestfallen. Although the horse *could* be fine for someone else, I was simply not experienced enough to handle her, and chances were I would get hurt. Badly.
                  So I traded this horse for a schoolie with someone who had a lesson barn. Match made in heaven for all concerned.

Whenever I encounter a "dangerous" situation with a newbie horse owner, I take exactly the same tactic. I warn them of how dangerous the situation could be and not worth possible injuries. Especially when there's kids involved and they complain about "losing money".

And the fact there ARE so many horses out there that can't be kept, many elderly, many no longer suitable for hard riding and perfect for a first time owner, kids and such.

I just get angry when I think of whomever knowingly sold this horse to them.

Comment

Mishmash,
                    I would have done exactly what you did. You were only trying to help all parties. And it is sad.
                    I hope things work out for the filly.
                    www.ncsporthorse.com

Comment

OP, I think you did the right thing to clue in the parents and point them in the right direction.

Just to play devil's advocate here, whoever sold the grandparents the horse may have had no idea the people didn't know what they were doing. Nobody knows what was said during the transaction.

There are kids who are capable of dealing with babies. I did it. Parents bought me a yearling when I was 12 and I did all the work myself. I'd already backed a number of babies at the farm by then too. Granted this was a big farm with a breeding operation and the BO was always around so a different situation. My point is, nobody knows what situation the seller thought the horse was going to. It just gets under my skin a little on here when everyone always thinks that all children need to be bubble wrapped on super safe horses. I know, a bit off topic. Carry on.

Comment

I have talked more well meaning but inexperienced parents out of than into getting a horse/pony for their kids - they just don't understand which "makes and models" are appropriate and have no knowledge of just how much care and work goes into owning a horse.

It is better to give the option of taking good advice than to say nothing - most people appreciate it, if they don't then so be it.

Too bad grandparents didn't spend that money on some lessons at a good barn......

Comment

Just to play devil's advocate here, whoever sold the grandparents the horse may have had no idea the people didn't know what they were doing.
                          Maybe, but I've watched someone who places horses with adopters (horse rescue, not a for-profit-sales barn or antyhing) and I've seen her more than once after a few minutes be able to say, unequivocally: "This is not the horse for you. I am not convinced you're experienced enough to handle this horse." Or something of the like. It's often very easy to tell who is experienced enough (especially when we're talking about a yearling here and not an older horse) to handle a young horse and who isn't, even just from talking to them, without even seeing them handle any horses. And, in my mind anyway, I'd have to think an ethical seller wouldn't sell a young horse to two people who didn't obviously know much about horses, even if they claimed the horse would be going to an experienced home or something.

Anyway, it's a sort of moot point. It's already happened, the OP did what she could to educate the horse's owners, and we can only hope they take that information and whatever they might get from a (hopefully good) trainer and boarding barn and the filly turns out okay.
                          The Trials and Jubilations of a Twenty-Something Re-rider
                          Happy owner of Kieran the mostly-white-very-large-not-pony.

Comment

I have babies for sale - BIG warmblood babies. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten the call or e-mail asking if my 14 hand weanling was a good 1st horse for an 8 and a 6 year old child. Especially after Oldenburg was the featured breed in Horse Illustrated. ..uuuh, no, go get riding lessons for about two years before you respond to another ad! (I was called mean too!)
                            Holly
                            www.ironhorsefrm.com
                            Oldenburg foals and young prospects
                            LIKE us on Facebook!

Comment

Good for you, Iron Horse! That's exactly the advice my parents got from an Arabian breeder years ago in Texas when we went shopping for my first horse. I wanted an Arabian stallion, of course.

Those good folks told my folks to buy me a nice older horse for about $200 and to come back in a couple of years if I was still interested in horses.

OP, you did exactly the right thing. It's up to the parents now to take or ignore your advice.

Comment

Iron Horse--are your babies on discount or are these really rich people? My brother has ridden at warmblood barns and I've never seen a baby priced anywhere near what I'd pay for a kids' horse (or for a weanling that wasn't a race prospect, for that matter.)

Besides disagreeing on how long you have to wait (I'd have a saddle on the horse while it was still a yearling and start adding weight at 2-this is a thoroughbred, not a hothouse flower) I would probably have said something along the lines of an unbroken yearling not being remotely suitable for first-time rider kids. They're too small to handle her safely, if none of them have any prior experience they aren't going to know how to back her or teach her ground manners, and they're just going to end up paying a LOT of money for a trainer to get the horse anywhere near ready to ride. Emphasis on the last part. And offer suggestions on where they might look locally for a kidsafe packer, emphasizing how the market is currently glutted and as such they could likely get one at a fire-sale price and potentially even find someone willing to swap for a young horse.
                                Author Page
                                Like Omens In the Night on Facebook
                                Steampunk Sweethearts

Comment

Originally posted by Iron Horse Farm View Post
                                  I have babies for sale - BIG warmblood babies. I can't tell you how many times I have gotten the call or e-mail asking if my 14 hand weanling was a good 1st horse for an 8 and a 6 year old child.
                                  Iron Horse - I have no doubt they settled on getting a puppy for their Precious. Then when puppy peed on the white carpet and growled at Precious because Precious disturbed the puppy while he was eating..... puppy went to the pound.
                                  Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                  Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                  -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

You know Mishmash what could you have done really? Unless you are a trainer with a business card ready then what can you do? Be a sympathetic ear or recommend someone to them. They have a colossal mess on their hands, hopefully they got a good recommendation. Don't beat yourself up over it!!!
                                    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

I just get angry when I think of whomever knowingly sold this horse to them.
                                      Yeah that's really who is at fault here. I've sold a few horses. I've always asked what they intended to do with my horse. Who doesn't do that? The seller probably knew damn well they were newbies and sold them the horse anyway. It's a tough economy, so that probably happens more often than not now.

Comment

Originally posted by JSwan View Post
                                        Iron Horse - I have no doubt they settled on getting a puppy for their Precious. Then when puppy peed on the white carpet and growled at Precious because Precious disturbed the puppy while he was eating..... puppy went to the pound.
                                        Oh, I know! I was threatened with a lawsuit once (UAW free lawyer drafted a lovely letter to me) when a seemingly lovely couple came to my place to look at a rescue/rehabbed pony that was RESCUE priced to a good home. They were horse knowledgeable, good fencing etc. I tought it would be perfect. THREE MONTHS later, their darling daughter no longer wanted a white pony, she wanted a paint pony. Would I take her back? I offered to resell her or take her back, but they wanted full purchase price returned so that they could buy darling what she really wanted. I got the letter when I turned down their offer.
                                        Holly
                                        www.ironhorsefrm.com
                                        Oldenburg foals and young prospects
                                        LIKE us on Facebook!

Comment

Working...
                                        X