• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Sad, and scary...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

With regards to "How on EARTH did the grandparents get this TB filly for the grandkids?" question, one possible answer lies in reading the classifieds this morning. There are three weanling TB "phillies" for sale, $200 each and they will deliver them to you!

I am so fighting the urge to buy a weanling. I mean, where are they going to wind up for two hundred each? Ugh.

Comment

I'm not so sure if this is true, given the number of horse professionals who suffer body damage, and don't have the insurance to cover their liability, and thus, need donations to cover their bills.
      But if they're promoting themselves as PROFESSIONAL and running a business, one would assume (and courts have assumed in the past) they're planning to take responsibility for whatever the liability is. That is a very basic part of running a business.

To be blunt and to the point. If an individual is in a position to give a advice, an opinion, a lecture, on any given topic, they have the moral responsibility to be able to demonstrate or prove their advice, opinion, or lecture.
      No, actually, they DON'T have a "moral responsibility" to "prove themselves." Suggesting doing the research and consulting a professional is excellent advice.
      ---
      They're small hearts.

Comment

Originally posted by nightsong View Post
        .. This horse is NEVER going to be kid-safe. The tack-store clerk was right.
        Why would you assume that? With proper handlig and training, today's flighty 14 month old TB filly, who's been stuck in a stall, BTW, can easily become tomorrow's easy-going 6 year old babysitter.

Sounds like the mother is starting on the right road, looking for a professional to help her with the filly.

Most TB's are at least halter trained and backed some time in their 2 year old year. Not appropriate for 2 inexperienced grade school girls, store clerk was dead on in her advice in that respect. But I've seen many a push button, bomb proof 14 year old ruined in less than a year by inept handling as well.

Grandparents may be clueless but well meaning. Horse dealer may have been unscrupulous or desperate to find a home for filly and knew that family would try to 'do right' by her.

Agree with poster who said that more horse people need to step up the plate to try to help today's inexperience horse crazy kids become tomorrow's horsemen. Heaping scorn on them because they lack experience doesn't help much to relive us of this 'elitist' label that's killing our industry.

ETA: To the OP... you did as much as you could in the situation. I think its ludicrous to suggest that you should have personally taken on any additional responsibility for the horse.
        Last edited by Trevelyan96; Oct. 8, 2009, 04:09 PM.
        Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
        Witherun Farm
        http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

Problem is, by the time this horse IS an easy-going babysitter, the kiddos will likely be over the horse infatuation. Unless lessons on a nice safe horse are arranged, or a kind older broke horse comes on the scene.

Comment

No, actually, they DON'T have a "moral responsibility" to "prove themselves." Suggesting doing the research and consulting a professional is excellent advice.
            I agree. Hoofprince where on earth do you get that the OP has any responsibility to these complete strangers? I think she did the right thing in suggesting they hire a professional. Why would she ever get involved with a situation like this? Of course if the OP was a trainer and wanted to do so, great. But she has no moral responsibility to these people. Giving this stranger good advice was enough.

OP did you learn that no good post at COTH goes unpunished?

Comment

I think the original poster did a good thing by telling the Mom the things described. That is excellent that they may seek help from a boarding stable/trainer.
              Last edited by sdlbredfan; Oct. 8, 2009, 06:25 PM. Reason: changed after reading more of the message thread
              Jeanie
              RIP Sasha, best dog ever, pictured shortly before she died, Death either by euthanasia or natural causes is only the end of the animal inhabiting its body; I believe the spirit lives on.

Comment

Originally posted by Hoofprince in Mud View Post
                To be blunt and to the point. If an individual is in a position to give a advice, an opinion, a lecture, on any given topic, they have the moral responsibility to be able to demonstrate or prove their advice, opinion, or lecture. It is about being able to "talk the talk, and walk the walk". If you can't walk, then you are in no position to advice other on the topic, despite the fact you have opinions.
                Having seen 'experts' on dog behavior backpedal rapidly when they actually meet the frothing Cujo they've been confidently diagnosing from afar, I have some sympathy with this position. But that really only means that boasters should be wary of being called on their bluster. The OP wasn't being a blowhard and telling the woman how to train her horse - she wasn't boasting. She basically just said "Oh, watch out for the X!" Does she need to be an arborist to say "Watch out for the falling branch?" Or a lion tamer to say "Hey, the door to the lion cage is open!"

Comment

Originally posted by Hoofprince in Mud View Post
                  The trouble is, there are more horses available than knowledgeable horsepeople. There is no way of knowing what the grandparents were thinking, but it is reasonable to assume their intentions were good.

Is it at all possible for you to spend your valuable time with the 14 month old horse, teach it how to lead, enjoy being groomed, and standing tied, and at the same time, teach the girls safe horse handling?

As a responsible horse person, you'd be paying it forward to help others learn. While it would be nice to be paid for your services, in the current economic situation, this might not be a viable option for people new to horses, what with paying for hay, shoeing and other related expences they didn't anticipate.

By helping, you would be keeping the horse from becoming dinner on somebodies dinner plate.

Too often horsepeople are critical of decisions people who have no horse knowledge make. It would make the world a better place, if horsepeople took the time to help non-horsepeople become horsepeople.

Lecturing non-horsepeople does not win any converts to the ranks of horsepersons.
                  In my experience, trying to help those who don't have a clue, for free, isn't welcomed or appreciated.

For the buyer to humbly accept that they made a hugely bad decision, with potentially dangerous or deadly consequences, is often a very bitter pill to swallow. And a realization and a decision to find help, only happens on their own time, when they are ready.

I overhear all manner of dangerous stuff at the feedstore, like the lady with the 3 YO mustang from the BLM that she can't halter or catch, but needs to deworm, how much to give of this stuff in her feed? The girl at the counter asked me for advice, knowing I have horses and maybe halfway know what I'm doing. I asked gently if she had a trainer or BM to help her catch the mare, etc nope, her BF has ridden some in the past, the horse is at their house, and they'll be fine, just need to find someone to buck her out and get her started. Did I know anyone who'd do it for 250 a month? Only 30 days, no more. I said no, told her how I'd deworm the filly, and walked away. My value in the workplace-in this economic situation LOL- is between my ears, I have no want, need, or desire to get hurt in an unsafe barbed wire and panel pen in some lot somewhere, or risk my neck trying to bring her here to my place, to start her for FREE, basically.

Nope, absolutely NOT my problem.

Want me to walk my walk? Here it is. I have a lesson student who bought the wrong mare, approximately one week before she hired me. Took me 6+ months to convince her that mare was going to hurt her. She hated to accept her mistake. FINALLY, the mare double barrelled her after bolting on the leadline. Done. She called me and said you can shoot her LOL just get her GONE. Done. Now she has a doll of a little mare she can bareback all over the woods, and does. My point? The wrong horse is the wrong horse and SHE had to find that truth, accept that SHE can't magically become seasoned, confident, and 100% able to tell that cow to knock that **** off. MY ability to ride the SOB mare all over the world was irrelevant - they were a bad match, period.

If they come to me, we can talk. But I'm not chasing idiots down just to try to convince them they are idiots.
                  Last edited by katarine; Oct. 9, 2009, 01:31 PM. Reason: annoyance lol

Comment

Originally posted by Minerva Louise View Post
                    With regards to "How on EARTH did the grandparents get this TB filly for the grandkids?" question, one possible answer lies in reading the classifieds this morning. There are three weanling TB "phillies" for sale, $200 each and they will deliver them to you!

I am so fighting the urge to buy a weanling. I mean, where are they going to wind up for two hundred each? Ugh.
                    I just saw some "phillies" on CL yesterday.
                    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Comment

Originally posted by Treasmare2 View Post
                      I know some people who were not horse smart and their daughters wanted to ride. They paid alot of money for highly inapproriate horses that were not nice horses. These girls became so frustrated that now the don't ride .....even after the purchase and ungrading to a fancy horse facility. It is so sad because their parent is obviously a horse loving parent that wanted to really foot the bill to get into this game big time without a clue about horses. I expect the horses scared the daughters off. Think if they had been matched with the right horses at the right stage this might have grown into a wonderful family owned facility. The poor father just keeps getting advicee from people in the indusrty dthat no ones respects and then he gets bad advise and doesn't know enough to know who to listen too. This has clearly become his hobby now and he likes hanging around the barn but is making beautiful fancy stalls before getting ring footing up to snuff. The best owners with the best horsesare staying away for now until footing is good and they feel the stable has clear operating plans so they can be assured their expensive horses will get the care they need. Anyhow my point is....the right horses may have keep the kids in the circle and now they are missing out on a great sport at a great family owned facility that is now the best in the area. But its not filled because the real horsepeople wait to hear how it is flying. Very sad.
                      This is where I board.

I don't mind the care at all & the footing in one of the indoors has been re done. New stable manager is great!

Owner is a horse noob (and a very wealthy one: re-vamped the older barn with galvanized grills & solid pine.. the grills alone per stall were $2800 ). He's very busy and has a lot of projects on the go at once, and runs another company.

It is a shame about his daughters horses. I haven't seen them yet and I've been boarding there for close to a month. The horses are kind & sweet enough, they just have soundness issues.

Comment

Originally posted by mishmash View Post
                        ...Around this BB, it's darned if you do and darned if you don't. If I hadn't spoken up, would be getting slammed for that....
                        Yep. Not everybody is going to agree with you. Ever.

However, I'm not sure you need approval from anyone here. I probably would have done the same thing, but my approach would have been unique to me. If they appeared determined to keep the horse, I would have tried to point them to a good, honest trainer who might have better success convincing them the filly is the wrong choice.

None of us was there, but you were. You have them a heads up that they are in dangerous territory. That's important.
                        Last edited by matryoshka; Oct. 20, 2009, 01:39 AM.
                        "Passion without knowledge is a runaway horse."

Comment

Working...
                        X