• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Spinoff-spinoff! Horses and lottery...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Spinoff-spinoff! Horses and lottery...

Soooo.... if you won the lottery, would you stick with your current horse? Not just as in stick that horse in a pasture and make sure he was well cared for; I'm sure any horse lover here would do that with an unlimited income. But would you continue pursuing your goals with your current horse, or retire him/her and upgrade to a more expensive mount?

I always look at ads for expensive, made horses... but I do love my horse and think he has such potential, and really am never that interested in buying another horse. I'd rather spend money having him continue to the level I believe he's capable of, and I don't think I would even buy one other horse, because I want to focus my time on my guy... maybe a husband horse to make DH ride, but that's it. I wouldn't trade my guy for a reincarnated Teddy, or Gem Twist or Big Ben... but I might be odd that way... curious to know who others would spend money on, or who would choose to continue with their current horse. (:
    "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

oh yes, I'd keep The Littlest Redhead. I loff her. I'd keep riding her and maybe even breed her (so I could keep the baby), but it would be on our own place, with our own land and pasture and indoor and outdoor and our own trailer for hauling in and out. I might add one more, so that she could relax during her pregnancy, but only one more. I *think* it would be a double registered AQHA/APHA mare and if I had the $$ then I could afford to get exactly what I wanted.

Comment

Depends on the size of the lottery.
      COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

heheh well the old folks would have air conditioning, heat in the winter, 16x16 stalls with runouts, and all the fools I could hire to cater to there every whim. Of course, I wouldnt have to turn away any rescues if I won a huge lottery now would I. My only desire for self is to ensure the safety of Sunkissed forever. I would be so so generous to all the other rescues as well and definitely open a stray animal kennel here with med benefits and a spay and nueter room, and a swimming pool and sandbox for the doggies.

Yup, all rescues would benefit from my winning. heheh and I could have a new little cabin. Just a little one.
        Our horses are not seen as the old and disabled they may have become, but rather as the mighty steeds they once believed themselves to be.

Sunkissed Acres Rescue and Retirement

Comment

Originally posted by TheJenners View Post
          Depends on the size of the lottery.
          Ditto. Am I still working because I have to or because I want to?

I'd certainly still ride my horse and do clinics (assuming he is sound in this hypothetical world of infinite cash) but I don't know that I'd put show money into campaigning him...
          DIY Journey of Remodeling the Farmette: http://weownblackacre.blogspot.com/

Comment

Oh ha ha, I think I would keep working! That way when people complain and tell me they pay my salary, I can say "actually, I'm independently wealthy..."
            COTH's official mini-donk enabler

"I am all for reaching out, but in some situations it needs to be done with a rolled up news paper." Alagirl

Comment

Keep my horse. It's a stipulation that at the multiple homes we'd buy there would be a barn at every one
              My horse will probably be beginning retirement in 7 years, so in 5 i'll be getting a youngster flashy pants to take the throne after him... lottery or not
              www.destinationconsensusequus.com
              chaque pas est fait ensemble

Comment

Well I don't currently own a horse but my heart is with OTSTBs... if I won the lottery I'd love to have a nice sized farm and as many retired racing Standardbreds as I could take care of at a time
                Flickr

Comment

Yup, I would keep riding my horses but bring in a good reining or cutting pro to learn that with them. (I have working bred QHs despite the fact that I'm not a western rider, LOL)
                  And then I'd buy two more. That do what I like to do.
                  Then have to hire someone to clean stalls/barn and they have to be as anal retentive as I am about it so I have more riding time.
                  You jump in the saddle,
                  Hold onto the bridle!
                  Jump in the line!
                  ...Belefonte

Comment

I would keep my horse, who is currently for sale and is indescribably hot with some interesting (not dangerous) behavioral issues. I would turn him out for a year or two and hopefully his brain would settle down, then bring him back into work. He is SO talented!

Comment

Most definitely! She's got more talent than I do, and money's not going to change that I'd want more lessons and training rides for us, of course, but if I wanted something to do the big stuff, I'd probably just invest in something for a pro to ride and play owner. I think that would be fun
                      A Year In the Saddle

Comment

Yep! Even though he's not A circuit fancy or even average smart. But he's my forever fella. I would, however, splurge on a super fantastically customized new saddle though.

Oh, and I love the idea of hiring a jump crew that could double as cabana boys. Of course, that would necesitate the idea of my own farm complete with pool, but if it's a hefty lottery, why the heck not?!
                        Flip a coin. It's not what side lands that matters, but what side you were hoping for when the coin was still in the air.

You call it boxed wine. I call it carboardeaux.

Comment

This is so timely--I was just joking that I'm buying a lotto ticket tonite, and if I win, I'm adopting another OTTB rescue I've had my eye on!!

I'm very happy with the two I have--they are the loves of my life. I'd probably take more lessons though (I currently take one a week, but I'm mortgaging my life to afford it at the moment--I basically eat PBJs and mac cheese--I'd like to do, like, 2 weeks straight, every day (shared between 2 horses) of lessons--A dressage smackdown, so to speak. A camp.

I'd probably quit my job, so I could volunteer at TRF with 1/2 my day and ride my two horses with the other half. Go OTTBs!

I'd buy my own horse property and bring the boys home--I miss having them at home.

I'd get that odd noise in my truck fixed and add a spray in bed liner. I love my big yellow truck, so I'm keeping that.

I'd buy a new Wolfgang Solo in calf and a Stephan Peters Advantage in calf leather and have them fit to my two horses.

I'd buy a lifetime membership to USEF and USDF and be DONE WITH IT!

Pay off my car. My mortgage...

I'd open an antique store with a hitching post out front (under a shade tree with water, hay) where I could ride all day, then if someone actually comes to my store (which also has an espresso bar, btw), I can hop off and make some espresso and my geldings can schmooze customers for carrots.

I could go on and on and on....

Comment

Yeah, my girls would be set...but I can't say that I wouldn't hunt me down a lovely school master jumper...and oh, while I'm at it, a dressage school master too.
                            A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

I'd open an antique store with a hitching post out front (under a shade tree with water, hay) where I could ride all day, then if someone actually comes to my store (which also has an espresso bar, btw), I can hop off and make some espresso and my geldings can schmooze customers for carrots.

has anyone here been to Macinack Island? No motorized transportation. If I had unlimited funds I'd have an estate with that stipulation.....ride in, walk in, but NO cars or trucks!

Comment

If I won the lottery, I'd do both.

My gelding is a fun ride (especially when he is going well!), tries his heart out and I've basically done all the work on him (I've had lessons but aside from a friend riding him a couple times, I've been the one to work with him undersaddle). Green + Green = Black and Blue for sure, but it's been so worth it. When we do the occasional show we are never a contender for the ribbons, but I have fun and when he does well it makes me so happy because I know he tried. He's currently loving the life of a semi-retired horse... because due to my injury he hasn't been ridden since March

However, if I won the lottery, I think I'd buy a been there, done that eventer. I've been to two events with my gelding (eliminated during SJ at the second one b/c of my stupidity) but he is a BLAST to take XC. Needs a confident ride up to the first couple of fences but then seems to get into his groove and just goes. But I think it would be nice to go to an event and be able to focus on what *I* need to improve on without needing to worry about what the horse needs improvement on.

With all the times I have been frustrated and complained about my gelding...I really do loff him
                                "People ask me 'will I remember them if I make it'. I ask them 'will you remember me if I don't?'"

Comment

BOth of our ponies would stay, although we would also add to the herd! A super nice MADE EQ horse for my older DD, and a super super nice made small for my younger Dd. Both of their current mounts have TONS more to teach them though so they would still get ridden every day! Then we would need a horse for Dad , and I would like a nice sane young hunter please, along with the barn I have been watching in the real estate adds and drooling over!! Oh and a new truck and matching 4 horse trailer with a HUGE ( so big the girls are not tripping over each other ) tack room!!!
                                  Of course its all a really nice dream, I am off to my job, and will be for the next million years ( or at least until my 2 yr old is out of college!0
                                  Kim
                                  If you are lucky enough to ride, you are lucky enough.

Comment

I'd buy the farm I'm currently lusting for, and fix it up for my boys. Henny may or may not stay on my farm (he desperately wants a lil person of his own!!) but I would set up a trust for him.... he'd be a trust fund baby!
                                    The green bean sale project would stay and we would find out just how far we can go together. S would come home to be the pampered show horse he was meant to be, as well as Nicky if I can convince the lesson barn he's at to part with him! I'd lesson every day (not necessarily at my barn on my guys) and buy a couple more ottb's as resale projects because heaven help me I'm crazy for them! But yes I would stick to my current two, and the two others: the one who's got my heart even though he's no longer mine, and the pony that showed me the humor of it all. I'd also hire a pi to find out what really happened to Romeo the sweetest horse a teenage girl could ever befriend...
                                    Proud owner of a member of the Formerly Limping And Still Majestic Equine Society

Comment

Of course I'd keep my little darling, though I'd find a suitable kid to show her. I'd keep all the rest of my gang too. I would, however, find a top notch amateur 5-gaited horse for myself, and a fine harness horse for DH. His would be perfectly finished, but I prefer a game horse that isn't pushbutton.

It would be great to live a life of leisure and horses. I could have live-in help for my at home horses, and ride at my trainer's several times a week. I surely don't mind doing my own dirty work, but it would be so nice to have grooms, and a housekeeper, and a groundskeeper (or at least someone to mow) and if I wanted to have a few adult beverages while dining out- I could afford to hire a limo to drive my tipsy butt home!

Comment

• Original Poster

I still go back and forth about using my money to add on another horse... I don't think I would; I think I'd just stick with Sam. But I would start lessoning much more often on schoolies so I could be a better rider for Sam, and while I was working on myself, would have the great junior rider at my barn who rides him sometimes do more work with him and my trainer so he could have more rides with a confident and experienced rider. That way we could both be a good team down the road. (:

I would have my own backyard barn, and add a miniature donkey for company for Sam (and me). But I would have a full-time barn manager to do the dirty work when it's cold and icky out, some friends as boarders, and some rescue horses who could just eat and be cute.
                                        "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

Working...
                                        X