• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Has anybody heard of mental disorders for a horse ? WWYD with a crazy horse ? update

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Has anybody heard of mental disorders for a horse ? WWYD with a crazy horse ? update

So, first let me preface this by saying that I DO NOT OWN THIS HORSE.

So, I have been working witrh my friend's horse for over a year. I broke him myself when he was 4 YO. Before that, he had only been minimaly handled by experienced people. He was just halter broke and touched only for shots, deworming and trimming.
    When I broke him, he was quite difficult, because he was very flighty and very scared of people, surroundings and new situations. I did a lot of long lining and ground work and finally managed to get him going under saddle, in a round pen and a small indoor arena.

She sent him to me, to train him and show him. Well, when we moved him to the farm where I keep my horses things went downhill.
    First, this horse has a cow phobia. He will not eat, drink or function if he hears cows. And if he sees them (like 200 yards away) he will run through fences or try to jump out of his stall (which only has a 1 foot opening at the top ). He breaks in sweat dripping wet, just knowing that the neighbours cows are moving 1/4 of a mile away.
    When you ride him, he spooks at everything (chairs, atv, tractor, brush boxes on the side of the arena, bales of hay ... you name it). by spook, I mean spin 180 and bolt out of control, or rearing straight up for 25 minutes non stop.
    I tried to get after him, I ignored it, I let him look ... nothing makes a difference. Everyday, he is the same. 2 days ago, he broke the fence of the arena when he reared and ended up with his front leg on one side and back legs still in the arena
    He got booted out from the cowboy

The sad part is that he is not mean, he is actually sweet. But he is very hard to even lead around because he bolts out of nowhere or refuses to go to places and just rears.

My question is, are there any known horse psychological disorders like in people ? Are there insane horses ?
    Are there any drugs and/or treatments that would work in a case like that, just to make his life easier ?

He has been treated for ulcers, he is on 24 hour/ turn out, low starch diet, he has had 40 X rays taken and has been seen by top vets, eyes checked ... There is nothing physical. It is random and can happen under saddle or in hand. We pulled some bloods and everything came back normal.
    Vets think that it's a behaviour or mental problem, not physical.
    As far as my credentials, I have worked with many stallions, problem horses and backing youngsters. Been there, done that and I have never seen anything like it. I'm at lost ...
    Last edited by mademoiselle; Sep. 29, 2009, 09:57 PM. Reason: funny typo

There are "dummy" foals who have been oxygen-deprived at birth and I often wonder what happens to them as they grow - are they mentally deficient in some way?

That said, I believe there are "crazy" horses that really cannot be helped and should be put down before they kill someone.
    "My friends, love is better than anger. Hope is better than fear. Optimism is better than despair. So let us be loving, hopeful and optimistic. And we'll change the world." ~ Jack Layton

Comment

Retire him to a nice pasture many miles away from cows.

Comment

Originally posted by hitchinmygetalong View Post
        There are "dummy" foals who have been oxygen-deprived at birth and I often wonder what happens to them as they grow - are they mentally deficient in some way?

That said, I believe there are "crazy" horses that really cannot be helped and should be put down before they kill someone.
        I have always wondered about that.. of course some horses must be born w/mental defects. This happens in every other species, why not horses?

And I agree about crazy, which I tend to define as a lack of self-preservation.
        "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
        ---
        The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

I've known one horse that was born with an extraordinary flight instinct. She had had so many accidents by the time she was old enough to train from running through fences and things. She had to be sent to a cowboy for training, but I'm not sure her training held. They were considering euthanizing her, because she was so troubled. Her full siblings were pleasant and intelligent, not at all like her. She must have had some inborn imbalance?

Comment

If the horse is truly mentally unbalanced, then euthing him would be the kindest thing.

Not to mention safer for any people who have to be around him.

Just as there are mentally disturbed, violent people, I'm sure the animal kingdom has their own versions.
            Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Comment

He sounds like a hyper sensitive horse with NO confidence. The only thing you can do with a horse like this is go slow, slow, slow, with lots of patience and teach him he can trust you. He's not one of those that can be 'broke' in the normal course of time. Maybe never, but maybe he's still a baby in the brain and needs a little more time to mature mentally.

Go back to work in hand ONLY and try some earplugs. I'd also try some B1 for him. It may work, it may not, but it won't hurt anything and its not uber expensive. What are you feeding him? I'd cut out all grain.

And it takes some horses longer than others to accept new things like cows, etc. I had an old mare that freaked when she was first exposed to llamas. It took her about a week before she was grazing side by side with them. And at one barn where I rode most of the horses got all antsy when someone brought their icelandic ponies into the ring? They must smell funny or something.

Don't give up on him yet... he's young and may just need a little more time and some confidence building.
              Lowly Farm Hand with Delusions of Barn Biddieom.
              Witherun Farm
              http://witherun-farm.blogspot.com/

Comment

Originally posted by mademoiselle View Post
                and baking youngsters. Been there, done that and I have never seen anything like it. I'm at lost ...
                I'm sorry Mademoiselle. I know your post is quite serious and that you are at the end of your rope. But I thought I would point out a tee hee you made. Maybe he's scared of the above?

Good luck with this one. You are a braver woman than I. This is one I would say is beyond me.
                "Aye God, Woodrow..."

Comment

Originally posted by EqTrainer View Post
                  I have always wondered about that.. of course some horses must be born w/mental defects. This happens in every other species, why not horses?

And I agree about crazy, which I tend to define as a lack of self-preservation.

A horse lacking self-preservation is the most dangerous horse of all.

How long has he been at your farm? If he really seems to be one of those horses that is just not going to improve than I agree that putting him down is probably the best option. Crazy can't be fixed with time in field. Sounds like he is an accident waiting to happen.

Comment

Is he the same at farm with no cows?
                    www.rivendellhorsefarm.com/tackpage.html

Comment

A friend of mine who has been re-working problem horses for 25 years told me one day he's only had 5 horses that he could not work with and the last one was the worst. The horse came to him with lots of problems and after many hours and days he finally took the horse out to the round pen and got on him, for 20 minutes nothing happened and without warning the horse launched my friend and proceeded to buck without stopping, slamming his head into the boards of the round pen over and over. The horse ended up smashing out 3 of the boards with his head.

Friend of mine called owner and said this horse needs to be put down, owner came picked up horse and sent him to another trainer who ended up in ICU.

He feels that there are horses that have problems too serious to work with. Whatever the problems are, they definately are like a mental illness. Any horse that can cause that much damage to himself has some sort of mental illness.
                      RIP Kelly 1977-2007 "Wither thou goest, so shall I"

"To tilt when you should withdraw is Knightly too."

Comment

---"First, this horse has a cow phobia. He will not eat, drink or function if he hears cows. And if he sees them (like 200 yards away) he will run through fences or try to jump out of his stall (which only has a 1 foot opening at the top ). He breaks in sweat dripping wet, just knowing that the neighbours cows are moving 1/4 of a mile away.
                        When you ride him, he spooks at everything (chairs, atv, tractor, brush boxes on the side of the arena, bales of hay ... you name it). by spook, I mean spin 180 and bolt out of control, or rearing straight up for 25 minutes non stop.
                        I tried to get after him, I ignored it, I let him look ... nothing makes a difference. Everyday, he is the same. 2 days ago, he broke the fence of the arena when he reared and ended up with his front leg on one side and back legs still in the arena

The sad part is that he is not mean, he is actually sweet. But he is very hard to even lead around because he bolts out of nowhere or refuses to go to places and just rears."---

Is he by chance Impressive bred?
                        I had one of those that acted just like you describe your horse, sweet and dead gentle and nice, until something set him off, then he would kill himself to get away from it, once tried to jump a pen fence, with rider on him, when a lying down cow stood up.
                        He had spells of uncontrollable shaking and sweating.
                        He was tested and N/N, so that was not it, but something sure was not right with him.
                        I heard of others horses of that breeding with similar problems, although of course not many, most are fine.

A calf roper bought him, he was a beautiful horse and he is ridden to rope in arenas only, because outside, he can get so crazy it is dangerous.
                        That is a lucky horse, because his craziness would have made him too dangerous to handle and ride, if he had not found that niche.

In our area, we have once in a while a horse that eats "loco weed" and becomes too crazy to approach, they have to be shot.

Don't know about your horse, but yes, some are a little bit off, just as some people are.
                        We put those people in mental hospitals, don't know what you can do with such horses.

Comment

I think any animal can have a mental disorder. Sometimes it can be caused by handling, sometimes by oxygen deprivation at birth, and I also believe that there are 'bad' horses born. Have you ever looked at siblings from the same family, some of who are great people, and some of who are just incapable of living a normal life?
                          If the horse is dangerous, it is a kindness to put him down.

Comment

Originally posted by mademoiselle View Post
                            So, first let me preface this by saying that I DO NOT OWN THIS HORSE.

So, I have been working witrh my friend's horse for over a year. I broke him myself when he was 4 YO. Before that, he had only been minimaly handled by experienced people. He was just halter broke and touched only for shots, deworming and trimming.
                            When I broke him, he was quite difficult, because he was very flighty and very scared of people, surroundings and new situations. I did a lot of long lining and ground work and finally managed to get him going under saddle, in a round pen and a small indoor arena.

She sent him to me, to train him and show him. Well, when we moved him to the farm where I keep my horses things went downhill.
                            First, this horse has a cow phobia. He will not eat, drink or function if he hears cows. And if he sees them (like 200 yards away) he will run through fences or try to jump out of his stall (which only has a 1 foot opening at the top ). He breaks in sweat dripping wet, just knowing that the neighbours cows are moving 1/4 of a mile away.

The sad part is that he is not mean, he is actually sweet. But he is very hard to even lead around because he bolts out of nowhere or refuses to go to places and just rears.

My question is, are there any known horse psychological disorders like in people ? Are there insane horses ?
                            Are there any drugs and/or treatments that would work in a case like that, just to make his life easier ?

He has been treated for ulcers, he is on 24 hour/ turn out, low starch diet, he has had 40 X rays taken and has been seen by top vets, eyes checked ... There is nothing physical. It is random and can happen under saddle or in hand. We pulled some bloods and everything came back normal.
                            Vets think that it's a behaviour or mental problem, not physical.
                            As far as my credentials, I have worked with many stallions, problem horses and baking youngsters. Been there, done that and I have never seen anything like it. I'm at lost ...
                            due to bad handling and then no one having the confidence to correct him so hes unstable in his brain as hes not sure - then hes come to you with a different envoriment and unsure as nothing is there that he knows nor trust
                            you need to work backwards - ie for getthe riding but work on building confidence
                            and trust starting from the ground upwards and dont feed him, as thats fueling th fire as hes not doing enough work to warrant the grub so feed him hay only ab lib it will take about 2 weeks for it too come out of his sytem
                            they do a lot of gorund work and long line him rather than lunge him -

its all new to him nothing is the same so hes unsure hes a baby thats needs a full on confident rider -handler
                            get his tack checked out as ill fitting tack a horse will spook or spin

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Long Spot View Post
                              I'm sorry Mademoiselle. I know your post is quite serious and that you are at the end of your rope. But I thought I would point out a tee hee you made. Maybe he's scared of the above?

Good luck with this one. You are a braver woman than I. This is one I would say is beyond me.
                              thanks, I fixed it and I thought it was indeed pretty funny with the context. He always looks like something is going to eat him. And I'm coming from France, where people eat horses. Maybe I'm the problem, he thinks I'm going to eat him and bake him

Comment

• Original Poster

On a more serious note, he is a WB, nothing indicate a lack of oxygen at birth but who knows ????
                                As far as being in a cow free environment he has been to other farms and he is still very spooky and uneasy about his surroundings.
                                He is a WB, a very athletic one, very nice jumper, FEI gaits. His training is improving, but it takes 20 minutes of risking your life and his to get there.

His siblings are actually pretty mellow, none of them show any signs of being like him.

As far as getting him close enough to the cows to desensitize him, that's just impossible. There is no way to even get close.
                                A cowboy told me I should tie him to a cow, and I asked him where I could find a 200 yard rope . When he saw the horse, he said forget about it .

I called my vet and she told me that they just put down a horse that had the same type of issues.
                                Right now the owner is not ready to put him down, which is what I would do if he was mine.
                                I'm just afraid that when I send him back, after a couple of years somebody will try to ride him again and it's going to end up with a very injured rider.
                                Most of the pros and friends who know the situation are all saying that I should not even try to ride him because he is so crazy.
                                But I feel bad and want to try everything to fix him, but for the 1st time I feel that I can't.

Comment

Are psychoactive meds possible with horses? I know a few dogs with anxiety issues who are on Prozac.... it's really helped make them "normal".... is such a thing an option? Horsey Xanax?

Comment

Single vision? (sight in both eyes, but good sight in only one eye would effect depth perception)

Comment

I know this isn't the intent of the thread but just a quick note that having a mental disorder does not equal dangerous.

I'm a little surprised that vision has been ruled out because I understand it is incredibly difficult to assess in a horse without specialized training and equipment. Plus, being an armchair quarterback, he sounds "just like" the horse in the novel by Sara Gruen.

Good luck with him. It sounds like a really tough situation.

Comment

Originally posted by Cita View Post
                                        Are psychoactive meds possible with horses? I know a few dogs with anxiety issues who are on Prozac.... it's really helped make them "normal".... is such a thing an option? Horsey Xanax?
                                        Flufenazine and acepromazine are used in horses.

Comment

Working...
                                        X