• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

A Must Read about Slaughter hot off the press

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A Must Read about Slaughter hot off the press

www.nuvo.net/archive/2005/08/03/dead_meat.html
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"
  • Original Poster

www.nuvo.net/archive/2005/08/03/dead_meat.html
    \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Comment

That just broke my heart. It's a well written article with a lot of information. I feel depressed now.

Comment

How awful that they can get away with this. It's really sad.
        Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

The Winds Of Heaven Are of That Of Which Blows Through A Horses Ears

Comment

What we're trying to do through the CBER thread is to pull a few horses off the Yakima feedlot. They're due to go out tomorrow.

It's all we can do until we can stop this travesty altogether.

Comment

Good article. But this line made no sense to me:
              <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bidding starts at $700. The slaughterhouse will get $20 per pound for her. That’s nearly an $18 profit margin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That can't be right. $20 per pound is more than most of even the fanciest cuts of the fanciest meats go for, retail - and a slaughterhouse does not sell retail.
              If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Those people who are in Washington working to pass the anti slaughter bill think they are very very close to passing legislation that will stop horse slaughter in the US and prevent horses from being taken across our borders to be slaughtered in foreign countries. But they have powerful forces working against them and need for those of us who want the law to pass to keep in touch with their elected officials in Washington telling them to support the law.

To find out more, you can go to the National Horse Protection Coalition site. On that site you can find out who your elected officials are and how to contact them. The url is: http://www.horse-protection.org/index.php
                Until they are safe.
                www.safehorses.org

Comment

Thanks for posting that. It's a very good article worth sharing.

I am puzzled about the mention of price, too. Their math doesn't add up. Also, I've been to the New Holland PA auction (another huge meat source). I've NEVER seen any meat horses go for $700 at auction. Meat horses at New Holland are usually $100-$300, sometimes even less.

I hope I live to see the day this who dirty business is banned.

How is it none of us here would ever consider dog slaughter or kitten slaughter... but we turn a blind eye on horse slaughter? We shrug it off as someone else's responsibility. Because the former owner dumped the horse at auction, it must somehow be his fault... even know we (the voters) are the ones who allow horse slaughter to be legal and to thrive.
                  Veterinarians for Equine Welfare

Comment

I have been to the Rushville auction, I have never gone to Shipshewana.

At the Rushville auction $700 would probably go to a dealer/trader. It would have to be ridden in the ring under saddle, be registered, and be a QH or a paint, probably plain colored as flash brings more.

I would guess that since the $700 was for a draft mare she is probably sound, not too old, maybe resgistered, and saddle or harness broke. She probably went to one of the Amish.

I will be happy to answer any questions about the auctions here.
                    http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

You can make it economically challenging, but face it, once a horse crosses the border into Canada there is no US law that can prevent its slaughter.

The way to go is to remove all the greased paths that make it easier to move slaughter-bound animals than riding horses - require Coggins testing of all animals, make double decker trailers illegal for horses under any circumnstances, etc etc.
                      If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

aww very sad... i wish i could help.
                        Draumr Hesta Farm
                        "Wenn Du denkst es geht nicht mehr, kommt von irgendwo ein kleines Licht daher"
                        Member of the COTH Ignorant Disrepectful F-bombs!*- 2Dogs Farm

Comment

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Originally posted by poltroon:
                          Good article. But this line made no sense to me:
                          <BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">Bidding starts at $700. The slaughterhouse will get $20 per pound for her. That’s nearly an $18 profit margin. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

That can't be right. $20 per pound is more than most of even the fanciest cuts of the fanciest meats go for, retail - and a slaughterhouse does not sell retail. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

At $20 per pound, that makes my 1100lb horse worth....$22,000.

And since he's exceptionally FAT at the moment, and probably weighs 1200 to 1250, that makes him worth....$25,000

At that rate, starting a slaughterhouse would pay off my student loans real quick like.

But seriously. I am rather curious to know now, what horse meat goes for per pound FROM the slaughterhouse, and retail.
                          Realistic prices, that is. Because $20/lb doesn't make any sense at all, to me.....
                          *&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&
                          "Show me the back of a thoroughbred horse, and I will show you my wings."
                          &*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&*&

Comment

I assumed the $20/lb to be the dressed price that foreign consumers are paying for cuts of horsemeat, not what the slaughterhouse is paying the killer buyers.

Same as the cattle industry, Example: cattle sell at the auction for $20/cwt (cwt=hundredweight) live. After slaughter, the good cuts sell in the US for $7-$12/lb at stores/butcher shops. So at the auction the steer sells for .20/lb but the slaughterhouse resells to consumers/retail stores for 7-10/lb.

Horsemeat is more values overseas and 20/lb is not unreasonable...it is dressed weight however, not live weight.

Comment

What a sad article... I found it interesting that they mentioned horses that were braided, shod, and "brought in by cover of darkness." It makes me wonder where those horses were coming from... ex-racers, mind blown or leg blown show horses? Hopefully not stolen horses, but who knows...

With AQHA's support of equine slaughter, it makes me wonder how many broken down show horses are being disposed of by way of slaughterhouse. I wonder if there are any statistics on the number of QHs that breakdown at young ages due to being shown hard as 2 and 3 year olds?
                              http://www.leakycreek.com/
                              http://leakycreek.wordpress.com/ Rainbows & Mourning Doves Blog
                              John P. Smith II 1973-2009 Love Always
                              Father, Husband, Friend, Firefighter- Cancer Sucks- Cure Melanoma

Comment

Alot of the shipshewana horses are broken down beligans used by the Amish.

At rushville and at Shipshewana the "saddle" horses are of the following in no particular order

1. race horses, either fresh off the racetrack that week (standardbred or TB), or horses that the owner is not going to bring back onto the track that have been in a pasture. You see some broodmares that are barren. You see alot that people have tried to make into trail horses but they don't work out or can't keep their weight up.

2. backyard breeding experiments

3. camp and ranch horses

3. culls from breeding operations, such as 4 2yo paint horses from one farm who's fetlocks touch the ground

4. generic saddle horses (gaited is good and flashy is also good)

5. wild horses running in pastures for years.

To have a chance at a real home they must be ridden into the auction area and WTC or sliding stop. I have seen horses that go for 1800.
                                http://weanieeventer.blogspot.com/

Comment

A Recent Press Release from the New Jersey Horse Council. Please take the time to read and understand what's missing in this Law and the dishonesty with which it is being passed.

<BLOCKQUOTE class="ip-ubbcode-quote"><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-title">quote:</div><div class="ip-ubbcode-quote-content">
                                  Senator Frank Lautenberg of New Jersey and Representative Christopher H. Smith of the New Jersey 4th District have been sending almost identical “Thank you” to Horse Farms and Horse People indicating that we support passage for S. 2352, the "American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act of 2004." Lautenberg says I co-sponsored this Act, which Senator John Ensign (R-NEV) introduced on April 27, 2004. In reality almost every Member of the NJ Horse Council as well as many Horse Farms and Horse People of New Jersey sent Senator Lautenberg letters stating exactly the opposite view. We are concerned that we should not be counted in the statistics used to sway the opinion of the Senate in favor of this Bill or HR 503.

<span class="ev_code_red">Our position has been explicit as to the reasons why this Bill is NOT good for horses. When many members of the New Jersey Horse Council received letters from Senator Lautenberg indicating that he was of the impression we supported his view we became very concerned that there be no misinformation about the position of the New Jersey Horse Council given to the US Senate during their deliberations.</span>

We have all stated our case that because of the negative animal welfare effects that HR 503 and this Bill sponsored by the Senator as the “Horse Slaughter Prevention Act”, would have on all horses, we are OPPOSED to this bill.<span class="ev_code_blue"> As such, we are asking the Senate that they NOT SUPPORT this legislation. As registered voters, it is imperative that I inform you that this legislation is flawed and while well intentioned is not in the best interest of the horse.
                                  If passed, HR 503 and S. 2352 will amend the Horse Protection Act to prohibit the shipping, transporting, moving, delivering, receiving, possessing, purchasing, selling or donation of horses and other equines to be slaughtered for human consumption and for other purposes.</span><span class="ev_code_green">
                                  Please notice that the verbiage within the bill does not specifically ban slaughter itself. Rather it was carefully redrafted so that the bill could be moved out of the agriculture committee. It is now up to members of the energy and commerce committee to decide upon an agricultural bill. The Energy and Commerce Committee is, in fact, to ban slaughter by prohibiting the way a horse might arrive at a processing facility. Also, the bill does not address who could be subject to searches and seizures concerning horse transportation.</span> We expected that a similar Bill would be introduced in the Senate. And we wrote to both the Members of the House of Representatives and the Senators from New Jersey expressing our deep concerns.
                                  This bill will have highly negative welfare effects on unwanted or unusable horses. In fact, horses normally bound for slaughter would suffer a much worse fate if the processing industry were eliminated. Both the American Veterinary Medical Association and the American Association of Equine Practitioners state the captive bolt, which is the method used to euthanize horses at processing facilities, is one of the most humane methods for euthanizing unwanted and unusable horses when an owner is faced with an end of life decision. Removing the inspectors at the slaughter houses is not a wise place to save tax payers money. It will cost much more to support these unwanted and possibly dangerous horses.
                                  In 2004, approximately 80,000 horses went to processing facilities in the United States, Canada, and Mexico. Currently there are not enough rescue/adoption facilities to house even 20 percent of these horses should the processing industry be forced to close due to legislation. The introduction of these horses into the rescue/adoption network would put a huge financial strain on the facilities and quite possibly lead to inadequate care for these animals. The legislation, as introduced, does not provide any government funding to care for the horses left behind by the closure of the processing industry.
                                  Newly released statistics indicate that the average horse owner has an annual income up to $75,000 a year. Horses which they cannot afford to support and which cannot be sold will go where? Most Zoning laws require an acre for each horse and this means there must be 80,000 acres made available to house these horses. In ten years we would need to find acreage for 800,000 horses. Where will we find the land?
                                  Another concern with the rescue/adoption industry is the lack of regulatory oversight for these facilities. Currently, no adopted standards of operation are in place to ensure adequate care of the horses placed in a rescue/adoption facility. If the Senator really believes in this Bill where we find the resources to adequately house and care for these horses.
                                  Lastly, we believe horses are the personal property of horse owners. For this reason, it is our duty to determine the best method for relinquishing ownership of our horses so long as the animal is treated humanely and with dignity and respect. All legal and humane options for terminating ownership of any horse should be available when these difficult decisions must be made.
                                  HR 503 and S. 2352 do not address the underlying problems associated with unwanted horses and the implementation of this legislation will create additional, negative animal welfare issues. It is for the above reasons we OPPOSE HR 503 and S. 2352 and we encourage the Senate NOT support this bill.
                                  • We would be grateful if instead of this Bill, if the Congress of the United States investigates ways to make the slaughter process better and more humane for ALL animals. Not less inspectors, we need more over sight and regulation of the procedures within the slaughter houses. The horse is a farm product, it is livestock and ALL such should be treated with humanity and dignity.
                                  •<span class="ev_code_red"> We would be grateful if instead the Congress of the United States investigates ways to regulate and gives its aid and assistance to the rescue/adoption agencies as a viable alternative for all owners of horses that must face the last decision at some time. Retirement communities for old horses and adoption of unwanted horse will not solve the problem of dangerous horses.</span>
                                  Similar position letters have been sent to Senator Jon Corzine as well as all the New Jersey Congressmen. The New Jersey Horse Council is anxious that our opposition be on the public record. The New Jersey Horse Council has always been the voice of the Equine industry in New Jersey. </div></BLOCKQUOTE>

<span class="ev_code_green">
                                  This the response received from Senator Lautenberg it is identical to that received by everyone else.
                                  July 12, 2005

Thank you for contacting me to express your support for S. 2352, the "American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act of 2004." I co-sponsored this Act, which Senator John Ensign (R-NEV) introduced on April 27, 2004. This important animal rights legislation was referred to the Committee on Agriculture, Nutrition, and Forestry where it remained at the close of the 108th Congress. Please be assured that I am a strong supporter of animal rights and share your concern about the humane and appropriate treatment of these magnificent animals and remain committed to this issue in the 109th Congress.

Analysis has shown that the foreign-owned horse industry has slaughtered over 3 million American horses for human consumption in the last two decades. Each year approximately 55,000 American horses are slaughtered for human consumption in the United States by slaughterhouses that are foreign-owned. In addition, tens of thousands of live horses are exported from the United States annually for slaughter.

The "American Horse Slaughter Prevention Act" would prohibit the slaughter of horses in the United States for human consumption. It also would prohibit the trade and transport of horseflesh and live horses intended for human consumption.

Thanks again for expressing your concerns about the treatment and slaughtering of horses. Please be assured that I will continue to monitor this issue in the 109th Congress and support any new legislation that is introduced.</span>

This is dishonest and the statistics are equally skewed. You all mean well as do we but these problems need to addressed before this Bill becomes Law.
                                  http://www.usAHSA.org and http://www.noreinstatement.org

Comment

Thank you Snowbird. I absolutely agree with what you have posted. Perhaps I missed it, but is there someway to contact our NJ Senators and Congressmen and let them know that we SUPPORT slaughter and OPPOSE the anti-slaughter bill?? I'm not nearly as seasoned of a warrior as you, and would welcome the guidance.

I do hope people will come to understand the horrific consequences that await our horses if we do pass this bill. So many more will be neglected and more people will be hurt by dangerous animals.
                                    Life is hard. After all, it kills you. - K. Hepburn

Comment

The slaughter houses and the people who supply the horses they slaughter are the real deceptors. The killer buyers use outright lies or hide their true intentions to get the horses they are contracted to supply...they have quotas to fill and they don't stop at much to meet them.

Irresponsible breeders who think they can throw away animals they don't want and keep breeding are the reason there are too many horses. Slaughter is an easy out and that's why they fight to keep it. Take the slaughter option away and they would be forced to do business in a more ethical manner.

Slaughter is a cruel death for a horse and a trip to the slaughterhouse can take days or weeks and they suffer thru the whole process.
                                      It's the epitome of neglect, yet pro slaughter adovcates have the gaul to use neglect of horses as the reason to keep it around. Now that's chutzpah!
                                      Until they are safe.
                                      www.safehorses.org

Comment

It is NO surprise that any of the 'horse councils' support the inhumane slaughter system. They claim that all the horses in the slaughter system will be left in a field neglected, which is absurd.
                                        The truth is the slaughter system has NO impact on the number of neglected horses. Neglectful owners don't take their horses anywhere with or without the slaughter system - they are neglectful.
                                        If neglect was a symptom of NOT having a slaughter market - we would have no neglect now which we all know is not the truth.

Comment

Working...
                                        X