• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

*This* is why they spook at logs...Watch Animal Planet! see top of post 1

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• A little while ago I caught the tail end of an interview on the radio with somebody involved in organizing the hunt. He said that about 1,000 people had applied to participate and that he anticipates that at most 1 in 10 people will actually dispatch a snake.
    Nevertheless, she persisted.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by lauriep View Post
      Lisa, Cornelia Guest weighed in on FB. She is a wealthy debutante who showed hunters. She is horrified that these beautiful creatures will be killed (if she only knew how unlikely that is). Others posted about trapping and releasing elsewhere, or trapping and taking back to native country. Trapping a snake? Not likely! Pretty amusing.
      Cornelia needs to come down and see how much of an upper hand the snakes have on 99% of the hunters, LOL! I'm telling you, most of these people (particularly the ones unfamiliar with the local environment) have no clue where to look for the pythons, let alone where to actually find them...that is pure luck anyway! For real, *fishing* is probably more predictable and productive!

As far as the killing...I agree it is sad for the snakes to die just because they are found, BUT, she needs to realize that there are worse things than death for these animals. They are stressed by people and they are eating machines. No one wants them. They are not native. Their native environment has its carrying capacity of this species so they can't be re-released. LOL, I know I'm preaching to the choir here...

Maybe Cornelia would like to establish a sanctuary where these animals can live out their lives in natural habitats, well provided for, with feed and husbandry, so they don't have to be killed. Otherwise, what does she expect? I think the best we can hope for is that the pythons are killed humanely and that the hunt doesn't damage the native snakes or the environment more that necessary.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by RainyDayRide View Post
        A little while ago I caught the tail end of an interview on the radio with somebody involved in organizing the hunt. He said that about 1,000 people had applied to participate and that he anticipates that at most 1 in 10 people will actually dispatch a snake.
        My bet is that if the 777 hunters bag 40 snakes I will be surprised! 5%. That's my prediction.

Comment

• The body count will depend on how many hunters are out there drunk. And how many hunters shoot at anything that moves.
          And how many gators are hungry any given day or night when the hunters go sloshing through the water.

Nothing like a bounty hunt to test Darwin's theory as it pertains to survival of the human species. We're betting on the snakes and gators. Even though they are unarmed and without the automatic weapons.

As for the snakes, we've read where the pythons have eaten most of the deer and raccoons and other animals in the Glades. So killing the invasive species might save some of the other animals who make the Glades their home.

Comment

• I see that there is going to be a segment on Nightline tonight (or tomorrow 12:30 a.m.). Is your group going to be on it.

BTW, I watched the show when you caught that snake in the swimming pool. Glad to hear that he/she is doing well.

Don't pythons have double penises? (Don't have my reptile book handy and I was a tortoise person myself). If someone can put some sort of virility mumbo jumbo on the pythons and make them super valuable to those in need, well, then you'll have solved the problem in one fell swoop.

And, who came up with this "brilliant idea" anyway?

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by betonbill View Post
              I see that there is going to be a segment on Nightline tonight (or tomorrow 12:30 a.m.). Is your group going to be on it.

BTW, I watched the show when you caught that snake in the swimming pool. Glad to hear that he/she is doing well.

Don't pythons have double penises? (Don't have my reptile book handy and I was a tortoise person myself). If someone can put some sort of virility mumbo jumbo on the pythons and make them super valuable to those in need, well, then you'll have solved the problem in one fell swoop.

And, who came up with this "brilliant idea" anyway?
              I think the idea was formulated I the Governor' office, which would make total sense given the whole fiasco. Snakes do have hemipenes which is like a forked penis. I'm not sure it would be too popular as far as virility in humans...the guys might think its cool but the gals...well...*not so much* is my bet. LOL!

Not sure on the Nightline segment. If we are on it I haven't heard yet.

Comment

• Hemipenes?

Well there, problem solved. Tell the Chinese, and they'll buy all the pythons that Florida can sell them. Since they are buying all the slaughtered animals of Africa for the supposed sexual benefits of a tiger's paw or rhino's horn.

Sell all the forked penises to the Chinese. More money for Florida and save live animals in Africa. Save the animals of Africa. Get rid of the pythons in the Glades. Restore the balance of trade with the Chinese and lower our debt ratio with China. A win-win-win-win situation for the USA.

Who reads up on snake penises? LOL LOL.

Oh yeah, and make it ILLEGAL to kill pythons so the trade with China will reach epic proportions. Nothing like a ban to make hunters hunt more. And don't you have a republican governor?

Comment

• Is there a state website regarding the snake hunt? Where we can see the daily or weekly stats on snakes vs. hunters? TIA

Comment

• I read that they got 11 Burmese yesterday.

Comment

• Originally posted by halo View Post
                      I read that they got 11 Burmese yesterday.
                      If you got the info from this article http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/14/us/flo...html?hpt=hp_c3

I kinda find this quote from one of the "hunters" down right scary!

""I'm not a hunter. I'm not a herpetologist," Reisinger said. "I'm just more of someone looking for a good time and a chance to drink my beers with some buddies in the woods -- and if you can help the environment, too, that's great."

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by halo View Post
                        I read that they got 11 Burmese yesterday.
                        Yep, 11 so far, however they were all from areas where only "permittees" can hunt. (Permittees are the guys who have been hunting pythons since hunting began, not the people who just signed up to hunt for this month.) These areas are absolutely loaded with pythons but the "general public hunters" are not allowed to go there.

I'm sticking by my 40 python prediction for the "general public hunters".

And, so far, no collateral damage that we have heard about...

Comment

• Warning for the snake leary....

Do not read this thread just before falling asleep for the night. Snakes in the yard, snakes in the house, snakes in the car, etc. my dreams were invaded by snakes. Even when I didn't see a snake I was hyper vigilant about whether there was one, two, three or more hiding just out of sight. I tell you, it was such a relief when the alarm went off that I didn't worry about snooze. I did, however, check the floor before I put my feet on it. Moral of the past seven hours......read this interesting thread during the day, not before bed.

Comment

• Originally posted by Shine View Post
                            If you got the info from this article http://www.cnn.com/2013/01/14/us/flo...html?hpt=hp_c3

I kinda find this quote from one of the "hunters" down right scary!

""I'm not a hunter. I'm not a herpetologist," Reisinger said. "I'm just more of someone looking for a good time and a chance to drink my beers with some buddies in the woods -- and if you can help the environment, too, that's great."
                            OMG! I've not looked at this thread for a while. Nothing like "hunters" (they forget that they are supposed to be sportsmen first.) drinking and shooting off guns! I hope no innocent people or animals get killed by the idiots!

Comment

• WildandWicked, you keep referring to gators as if they were bloodthirsty beasts just waiting to devour hunters venturing into their territory. On behalf of "my" gator, Wally, and his Florida cousins, I would like to advise you that most gators would just as soon avoid humans. Now, they will eat the occasional dog and cat or toddler that ventures too close, but for the most part they won't bother you if you don't bother them. The exceptions would be those gators in housing additions in Florida that are fed by the fools living in the housing additions. Those gators come to look to humans as a food source. IMHO, if someone is dumb enough to feed a wild gator they deserve to be eaten by said gator and the gator shouldn't be faulted.
                              I'm a second hand Vegan. Cows eat grass. I eat cows.

Comment

• The gators around here all say that humans taste like chicken.

Comment

• This is common for these snakes to be found in the wild here now. People who get them as juveniles end up realizing very soon that they have an 8 foot snake they cant handle so they release it into the wild. Pretty sad that people do not do research on these animals before getting them.

Comment

• Originally posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
                                    The gators around here all say that humans taste like chicken.
                                    Since you say your are located at the North Pole, just WTF kind of gators do you have? The mechanized ones don't count.
                                    I'm a second hand Vegan. Cows eat grass. I eat cows.

Comment

• Originally posted by WildandWickedWarmbloods View Post
                                      The gators around here all say that humans taste like chicken.
                                      The Morgan is outta here! Chicken, BBQ, redneck, city people, human taste or not. Hopefully, I can hang on for the the ride. I really, really don't want to be gator sushi.

Nope. Not at all.

ETA: The Morgan can be a good "bob & weave" device. Anyone game for this fun game?
                                      Last edited by Shine; Jan. 15, 2013, 07:04 PM.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Sanely Eccentric View Post
                                        Do not read this thread just before falling asleep for the night. Snakes in the yard, snakes in the house, snakes in the car, etc. my dreams were invaded by snakes. Even when I didn't see a snake I was hyper vigilant about whether there was one, two, three or more hiding just out of sight. I tell you, it was such a relief when the alarm went off that I didn't worry about snooze. I did, however, check the floor before I put my feet on it. Moral of the past seven hours......read this interesting thread during the day, not before bed.
                                        Sorry SE...the title should have a warning label. Raising awareness is good but inciting hyper-vigilance is too much. Time will heal .

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by Shine View Post
                                          The Morgan is outta here! Chicken, BBQ, redneck, city people, human taste or not. Hopefully, I can hang on for the the ride. I really, really don't want to be gator sushi.

Nope. Not at all.

ETA: The Morgan can be a good "bob & weave" device. Anyone game for this fun game?
                                          Shine, fear not. You probably have a better chance at winning the lottery than being eaten by a gator .

Comment

Working...
                                          X