• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Any western riders out there who can help me out?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Any western riders out there who can help me out?

I am a hunter/jumper rider who is helping a good friend look for a nice trail horse. This part I have under control, but her husband has asked me to help him find a saddle for her for her birthday and she will be riding western. I don't know the first thing about western saddles. Can anyone give me some guidance? She doesn't need anything fancy, as she will just be puttering around my place, but something comfortable and durable would be good. Price is also an issue, so how much should he expect to pay?

Thanks in advance for any advice you can throw my way!
    www.facebook.com/SunsetPonies

I was a jumper rider but my long backed horse was a monster to fit. A big Western saddle was finally in order, esp. as with school I don't have time to do much more than pleasure ride.

We have a Reinsman FlexTree Saddle, and I would never ride in anything else. My husband and I fight over it.

It has fit every horse (including TB's). It broke in instantly. I like it keeps my leg underneath me, much like my Beval saddle, just with a deeper seat (did I mention it came with a GEL seat). Lifetime warranty on the tree, etc.

I got it from Holtz Saddlery in PA, but the Western Superstore in Cheyenne, WY has the largest selection of Reinsman saddles I've ever seen, and I think I heard they were having a sale...

I got it new for about $1200. You can find them for around $800-$1K on eBay. I can guarantee, it is WELL worth it. I sold my PJ to afford it, and I never looked back.

If you don't buy a Reinsman, buy a used saddle. They take forever to break in, and can be very miserable until then. A 16" fits most, a 15" is for the petite, and a 17" is for the real big boys.

Comment

I have a boarder that has a nice Big Horn flex tree memory foam trail saddle. It is super light despite being all leather and very comfortable! She is selling it for $600/offer if that helps. She is having $ problems.
      "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

My mom has a circle Y that she's had since she was 16 and it has held up fantastically with only one re-flocking over the years (she's 52 now).

That and its' the most comfortable (other than an old roping saddle) that I have ever ridden in .

I'd look for a nice pleasure saddle or roping saddle, both I have found to be the most comfortable - try ebay -
        Friend of bar.ka!
        Originally posted by MHM
        GM quote of the day, regarding the correct way to do things:
        "There's correct, and then there's correct. If you're almost correct, that means you're wrong."

Comment

I have a Wintec. Its very light and easy to haul around and put on the horse.

I did learn a big lesson about Western vs English yesterday. You must dismount without sliding down the horse. My bra got hooked onto the saddle horn and I had to be undressed to get free of the horse. I have no idea how that happened, but those horns can be a b*tch. It could have been a dangerous situation, but since the horse is bombproof it was pretty funny instead.

Comment

Watch for the "pretty and cheap" ones, they are garbage and will leave you and your horse sore. Try to find one in a tack shop that will do an exchange if it does not fit either horse or rider.
            I have seen some really nice saddles going for $300, even a Circle Y. I find them at the local auction all the time!

Comment

• Original Poster

Thanks for the replys so far. I used to work for a trail company many years ago and I think the Circle Y was what I used to ride all day in. I will check ebay and see what I can find as well as hitting the one local tack shop that sells western saddles. I am definitely looking for something light. She is a small woman and I want the saddle to be easy for her to handle.

And equinelaw...I will pass along your experience so she doesn't find herself having to undress to dismount

What about sizing? Are the measurements similar to english saddles. If she rides in a 16" english saddle, will she ride in the same size western saddle?
              Last edited by Sunset Ponies; Sep. 4, 2009, 09:16 PM.

Comment

Western saddles are the devil to fit. I'd wait till she found the horse, because a suitable brand of saddle will depend heavily on the shape of the horse.

See, you can't adjust the flocking in a western saddle. The saddle either fits or it doesn't. So features like rock, length, bar width, are all incredibly important.

My little paint horse? Oddly (since he is a foundation QH type) cannot wear any western saddle that I've ever clapped eyes on. He's short backed and flat backed with shoulders like a bulldog. You'd think they'd make a western saddle for that, right? But no.

Those Tucker saddles that are so popular? Nice saddle and very comfy for the rider - but only fits a horse with some wither, who isn't terribly wide. Crates make a lovely saddle - but they're too long for my little fireplug and rub his loins.

Anyway, I'd wait till I could fit the saddle to the horse.
                I'm not ignoring the rules. I'm interpreting the rules. Tamal, The Great British Baking Show

Comment

I too would wait til there's a horse to fit.

The Fabtron Lady Trail is a balanced, comfy synthetic. and I hate synthetic western saddles LOL

If you want leather, I'd avoid Bighorn (Owned one, crappy leather quality) and a Circle Y might be ok...for my $ I'd get a Rocking R. www.stagecoastwest.com carries them or www.rockingrsaddlery.com

16" english? Are you sure ? that's teensy. I'd take 2" off the english size but a 14" western is a TINY youth seat.

Comment

Agreed, wait until she finds the horse so you at least know what tree width to buy.

Also with the synthetic saddles, watch for where the rigging for the cinch is, some of the cheaper made saddles have rigging that is too far forward in my opinion.
                    Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
                    Bernard M. Baruch

Comment

Originally posted by RxCate View Post
                      My mom has a circle Y that she's had since she was 16 and it has held up fantastically with only one re-flocking over the years (she's 52 now).

That and its' the most comfortable (other than an old roping saddle) that I have ever ridden in .

I'd look for a nice pleasure saddle or roping saddle, both I have found to be the most comfortable - try ebay -
                      unfortunately Circle Y has had a million owners since the 60s. they are not nearly so good as they once were.

Comment

I agree on waiting for the horse. (:

I can usually borrow a nice quality leather working saddle when I need one, so my own western saddle is a Big Horn cordura trail saddle. It is actually super comfortable, very lightweight (15 lbs) and fits my QH easily. For general trail riding and putzing around, it is very nice, and in western synthetics Big Horn is much better than Wintec (their western saddles seem to be a little wonky).

I did replace the nylon cinch and straps with leather, for safety and breathability. The stirrups are a durable plastic, but can also be replaced with better quality ones.

I generally just ride in my English saddle and keep getting tempted to sell my Big Horn, but it does fit well and is very comfortable for long rides.
                        "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

Originally posted by equinelaw View Post
                          I have a Wintec. Its very light and easy to haul around and put on the horse.
                          I had one too, super comfortable. But it really tended to pinch the withers when cinched up, even with 2 thick pads. Horses were bucking and I couldn't figure out why....
                          Someone mentioned Western leather saddles have a lot more weight in the back and this is the downfall with the synthetics.

I did learn a big lesson about Western vs English yesterday. You must dismount without sliding down the horse. My bra got hooked onto the saddle horn and I had to be undressed to get free of the horse.
                          A few weeks ago I was showing a novice how to get off without using stirrups. This so happened to me for the first time ever. Like you, thankful for a bombproof horse!

Comment

I would wait for the horse AND the in order rider to get the right fit. A nice gift certificate/cash would be appropriate. A western saddle either fits or it doesn't. There are corrective pads out there, but it is best to just have one that fits to begin with.

If the new horse is already being ridden western, the former owner will be able to give good insight as to the tree size and maybe even a brand that has worked well.

There are also some very nice comfortable saddles designed specifically for trail. They are light and have padding for the rider (and horse) in all of the right spots.

Also, find someone to help out with the shopping who has experience with fitting western saddles, they are an invaluable resource.

Comment

I agree- it must fit the horse. Took me almost 6 months to find a saddle that fit my horse. Ended up with a Champion Turf saddle- it works well for me, although I do have my eyes on a Blue Ribbon Custom.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by katarine View Post
                                I too would wait til there's a horse to fit.

The Fabtron Lady Trail is a balanced, comfy synthetic. and I hate synthetic western saddles LOL

If you want leather, I'd avoid Bighorn (Owned one, crappy leather quality) and a Circle Y might be ok...for my $ I'd get a Rocking R. www.stagecoastwest.com carries them or www.rockingrsaddlery.com

16" english? Are you sure ? that's teensy. I'd take 2" off the english size but a 14" western is a TINY youth seat.
                                A 16" english saddle is not that small. That is a pretty average size for a small woman.

I definitely plan on waiting until after she buys her horse and fitting the saddle to the horse. We are down to the final choices and it will mostly like be a chunky quarter pony

Thanks for all of the good advice.

Comment

Originally posted by FatPalomino View Post
                                  I had one too, super comfortable. But it really tended to pinch the withers when cinched up, even with 2 thick pads. Horses were bucking and I couldn't figure out why....
                                  Someone mentioned Western leather saddles have a lot more weight in the back and this is the downfall with the synthetics.
                                  The cinch rigging may have been too far forward. This pulls the front of the saddle down over the withers and pinches behind the shoulder.
                                  Every man has a right to his opinion, but no man has a right to be wrong in his facts.
                                  Bernard M. Baruch

Comment

I ride daily in an old Billy Cook - I think it was $1200 new.
                                    "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

Older Circle Y park and trail saddles are wonderful, but they have to be at least 10 years old. The newer ones are junk and take forever to break in. I think they can be found for around $500.

Comment

Reinsman FlexTree Saddle...I totally agree with FP!! I took my horse to the saddle shop where they were more than happy to let me sit several on my horse. I was completely amazed at how my body (primarily my tush) with the seat padding of a saddle changed my balance on every one! In a few my legs were too far back...but...the Reinsman saddle was a dream. Everything in my posture/balance all came together.

Having said all of that...I ended up getting the Trail FlexTree from Circle Y because it was VERY similar and I could get it for less. I was shopping not only for fit but for light weight....no more trying to throw a 65lb saddle on a tall horse!! I have been very happy with it.

I always recommend Bedford Tack in Tenn for their great service and prices!!!My saddle retailed for 1800. I paid 1150 including shipping...and I could return it at no charge if it didn't work.
                                        "My treasures do not sparkle or glitter, they shine in the sunlight and nicker to me in the night"

Comment

Working...
                                        X