• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

I killed it! \o/

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• I killed it! \o/

One of those darn B-52s came to visit today. I was chatting with a friend, and zzzzzzzz....it landed on her, landed on her horse, zipped round and round, flew over the barn, came back again.

Then it landed on the hood of her car.

I raised an eyebrow at her, and she nodded.

I had a gel-pad in my hand. WHACK! SPLAT!

It made a great hood ornament.

(ETA: had to add my fave emoticon of the week to the title: \o/ )
    Last edited by twofatponies; Aug. 25, 2009, 08:06 PM.

Excellent! I was at the beach all last week and there were HORRIBLE horseflies. My poor big dog came running back to me whining and pawing at his face - he had blood running down his nose from one of the b@st@rds.

Kill 'em all!
    I realize that I'm generalizing here, but as is often the case when I generalize, I don't care. ~ Dave Barry

Comment

Yay! I slammed one in the window of the barn today. It landed on the window sill, I slammed the window shut. Ha!
      Then I left it's corpse hanging half out of the window...as a warning to all other B52s.
      Vet came today for floating/shots/etc and got a laugh out of my dead B52 display.
      And it's all my fault that one was even around. I mentioned on a thread just recently that I hadn't seen any yet this year. Major jinx.
      You jump in the saddle,
      Hold onto the bridle!
      Jump in the line!
      ...Belefonte

Comment

Good for you, if another comes by, kill it for my pony who was bombed today while trainer was working with her - said awful dinosaurus rexus blood thirsty fly hit pony on the neck and then somehow got lodged under saddle pad right at the front of the saddle and poor ponykins lost her mind - went into full bucking, squealing mode and when saddle was removed, there was a large bloody welt under the saddle pad.

Felt so bad for pony. Pony was hosed, had some baking soda and water applied, then rinsed and still has a huge plum size welt on her. No work tomorrow at all.

Comment

My girls were out playing in our back pasture last week. One got my younger daughters pony on the belly. She went into a bucking fit, then fell flat on her gut to get the thing off! My daughter somehow managed to stay on, but it was a close one!
          Tonight I got two of them right on our other ponies back side. It never ceases to amaze me how those horses don't move a muscle when you are wacking the pesky flies off of them. I guess they know your trying to help

Comment

I had to smack one off my horse's butt as she was bucking next to me! I HATE THEM!
            She wasn't running away with me, I just couldn't stop her!

Comment

I hate those things! Today I had Sam on crossties and was grooming him when he suddenly swung his butt around toward me, stomping on my foot, tail lashing angrily. Despite having just sprayed him, I looked for flies but didn't see any; assumed he was being a butthead. Then he did it again. I looked for flies; none. Went to the other side and he swung his butt out at me again--and then I saw the B-52 attached to the top of his tailbone. Poor pony, here I was getting mad at him for threatening to kick me, and he was restraining himself enough to beg me to kill it for him.

I am generally a pacifist and lover of all things, but I wish slow death and dismemberment to all horseflies.
              "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

• Original Poster

What astonished me was yesterday when this same* B-52 chased two of the mares into the shed. One actually turned around and tried to bite it with her teeth - I've never seen a mature horse flexible enough to touch her tailbone with her nose!!!

These flies like to land exactly on that spot, don't they.

* I say "same" because that way I killed that exact one, and it was the only one for miles around and we won't see another one this summer.

Comment

Originally posted by twofatponies View Post

* I say "same" because that way I killed that exact one, and it was the only one for miles around and we won't see another one this summer.
                  Sure, keep telling yourself that... d;

I drenched my poor horse's tailbone in two kinds of fly spray and put Swat on it to boot. It may not deter them, but at least it'll make biting there unpleasant and hopefully lethal...
                  "Remain relentlessly cheerful."

Graphite/Pastel Portraits

Comment

it must be their time to emerge, as I killed one today too! Unfortunately the pony whose butt it landed on didnt think I was helping him out right at that moment....poor fella.
                    "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                    carolprudm

Comment

Shut up. I hate hate hate hate HATE those! Sometimes, if they are buzzing near my horse when we are riding, we try to "outrun" it.
                      Horsey Stick Art clique
                      Crayolaposse~ SparklyLime
                      PPP Grand-Poobah

Comment

The ba$!@rds are out. I killed one on Whoasies butt today and left it there as a sign to its friends. Not sure she appreciated that - she is a lady, after all - but it felt right.
                        "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                        ---
                        The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

• Original Poster

Check out this unpleasant data:

Blood loss can be significant. In a USDA Bulletin 1218, Webb and Wells estimated that horse flies would consume 1 cc of blood for their meal, and they calculated that 20 to 30 flies feeding for 6 hours would take 20 teaspoons. This would amount to one quart of blood in 10 days.

from U of K college of agriculture entymology article: http://www.ca.uky.edu/entomology/entfacts/ef511.asp

Comment

There was one on my Clydesdale today and that fly was so big, I just couldn't believe it. I had to take a picture of it.

Take a look:
                            http://www.ananova.com/images/web/1514123.jpg
                            Looking for horse activity in the Twin Tiers? Follow my blog at http://thetwintiershorse.blogspot.com/

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by GilbertsCreeksideAcres View Post
                              There was one on my Clydesdale today and that fly was so big, I just couldn't believe it. I had to take a picture of it.

Take a look:
                              http://www.ananova.com/images/web/1514123.jpg
                              You'd have to hit that one with a phone book to kill it !

Comment

I've killed about half a dozen this past week. I thought I killed one today. Hit it hard and it laid on the ground for about a minute in front of the trough where the horse was drinking. I couldn't get to it to squish it and it managed to right itself and fly off.

I try to stomp on them but this one out-smarted me.
                                "Some people are born on third base and go through life thinking they hit a triple” – Barry Switzer

Comment

I just ordered fly sheets from Big Dee's. They have some on sale for $ 10. They are not for turn-out.
                                  Came in today. They are fab! Took horses out to graze around the yard and those pesty B-52's were all confused.
                                  \"Horses lend us the wings we lack\"

Comment

(ETA: had to add my fave emoticon of the week to the title: \o/ )
                                    \o/....beauty
                                    * <-- RR Certified Gold Star {) <-- RR Golden Croissant Award
                                    Training Tip of the Day: If you can’t beat your best competitor, buy his horse.
                                    NO! What was the question?

Comment

These creatures are the DEVIL!!!!

I take personal, visceral pleasure in murdering them; I only wish I could provide more *torture* beforehand, so that they would suffer as much as do the horses they feast on.

I am an animal lover to the max, but these pieces of shit are disgusting and cruel predators (and yes--they "rebound" when you smack them, dammit, and you have to be quick with a "crushing foot" to destory them before they "shake it off" and take to the air again, swooping and divebombing.)

Please God, is there ANY WAY to create a potion of some kind that will actually DETER (since they are apparently are impervious to anything but Quentin Tarantino methods of dispatching them) these villanous single-minded missiles of pain and misery?! (They laugh at fly spray, and have actually bitten THROUGH my mare's very sturdy Rambo fly sheet.)

My BM is sufficiently brave (or crazy) to SQUASH THEM WITH HER BARE HANDS! Her rationale? "They hurt the things I love." Good for her, I say--though Yuck! She says she derives satisfaction from hearing them "pop" when she crushes them to death.
                                      I could never do this (I just whack them, and if I manage to stun them so that they fall to the ground, I crush them under my boot, while cackling maniacally), but I give her major kudos. I would be afraid that they would bite ME while I was crushing them! (And their bites are excruciating! Poor horses. )

eventmom is right: horses are pretty smart about this, and all my horses have KNOWN that if *I* am there with them, they will be protected--they patiently wait for me to kill (or at least chase away) the monsters. WHACK AND SMACK AWAY, they say!

The ONLY upside is that the Horsefly season is realtively short, and we should be rid of these monstrosities by the end of Sept., thank heavens!
                                      "Hope is a good thing, maybe the best of things, and no good thing ever dies."

"It's supposed to be hard...the hard is what makes it great!" (Jimmy Dugan, "A League of Their Own")

Comment

Love the emoticon! And, I am SO glad I live here in the drippy PNW, where no such flying devils live. Your horror stories are enough to convince me that 8 months of gray, wet, algae producing weather is a fair trade. The worst we get are the occasional deer fly--ouchy, and voracious, vicious yellow jackets. Hardly a comparison.
                                        Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Working...
                                        X