• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Non Profits Orgs. & Compensation (Paid Board Members)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Non Profits Orgs. & Compensation (Paid Board Members)

Since there has been some interesting discussions on non profit organizations I thought the topic of compensation, and any non profit that has board members that receive compensation- might be an additional topic to discuss. Personally, I'm not aware of many myself that do operate with board members receiving compensation. I will also add that my personal feelings are that I'm not entirely against it, provided that it's within reason (in the grand overall scope of the org) and based on performance (like any other 'job'- not sure it that'd be the correct way to put it). I don't believe I've ever read any list anywhere (as it pertains to horse rescue orgs) that details those that do receive compensation.

ETA: Information on determining whether any org. board member receives compensation can be found by doing a search of the org. on Guidestar (or similar site), pulling up the most recent 990 return.

Sidenote: My only experience in providing assistance to rescue orgs. are that none (no board members) receive compensation- but that's been my experience.
    Last edited by Marli; Aug. 11, 2009, 09:49 AM. Reason: add'l info

Our bylaws for my org allow our Board members to be reimbursed for educational programs and expenses they occur but no, they are not paid nor are they currently allowed to accept a salary or payment for their services as Board members.

HOWEVER,

If any of my Board serves in a professional capacity such as a trainer, therapist etc. I have absolutely no issue whatsoever to include a reasonable salary for their services. The reason for that is that turnover of volunteers is huge in TR, like it is in rescue, and we need to ensure that we always are the very best we can be for our riders and program participants. Since our program will be run 5-6 days a week, 8 hours per day, finding all volunteer professional staff is virtually impossible and because the instructors and therapists are so vital to the program, many will or are serving as board members. Eventually we hope to offer education opportunities and tuition reimbursement as well as access to health care for our staff.

We are not at that point yet in the program but will be very soon so it is a topic we are also interested in hearing COTH opinions on.
    I Loff My Quarter Horse & I love Fenway Bartholomule cliques

Just somebody with a positive outlook on life...go ahead...hate me for that.

Comment

What kind of compensation are we talking about? If we're talking about compensation for professional services (attorney, accountant, whatever) that are outside the scope of being on the BOD, then the organization needs to have a clear conflict of interest policy. This protects the org. from claims (real or imagined) that a BOD member is benefiting from his association with the org. by getting paid an above average amount for his/her service (or good).

If instead you are talking about paying board members just to sit on the board, you need to be careful. Directors and officers of an nonprofit generally are not paid - unless they also serve was the Exec. Director or in some other category that's outside the scope of their BOD job.

I hope that all makes sense. It is early and I went for a jog - I may be delirious.
      Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

• Original Poster

CowgirlJenn- I think both capacities can have interest for discussion. All aspects, if you follow. You're not delirious!

Comment

Originally posted by cowgirljenn View Post
          What kind of compensation are we talking about? If we're talking about compensation for professional services (attorney, accountant, whatever) that are outside the scope of being on the BOD, then the organization needs to have a clear conflict of interest policy. This protects the org. from claims (real or imagined) that a BOD member is benefiting from his association with the org. by getting paid an above average amount for his/her service (or good).

If instead you are talking about paying board members just to sit on the board, you need to be careful. Directors and officers of an nonprofit generally are not paid - unless they also serve was the Exec. Director or in some other category that's outside the scope of their BOD job.

I hope that all makes sense. It is early and I went for a jog - I may be delirious.
          Exactly what I was getting at Jenn, maybe I should go for a run to clear my head

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by equineartworks View Post
            Our bylaws for my org allow our Board members to be reimbursed for educational programs and expenses they occur but no, they are not paid nor are they currently allowed to accept a salary or payment for their services as Board members.

HOWEVER,

If any of my Board serves in a professional capacity such as a trainer, therapist etc. I have absolutely no issue whatsoever to include a reasonable salary for their services. The reason for that is that turnover of volunteers is huge in TR, like it is in rescue, and we need to ensure that we always are the very best we can be for our riders and program participants. Since our program will be run 5-6 days a week, 8 hours per day, finding all volunteer professional staff is virtually impossible and because the instructors and therapists are so vital to the program, many will or are serving as board members. Eventually we hope to offer education opportunities and tuition reimbursement as well as access to health care for our staff.

We are not at that point yet in the program but will be very soon so it is a topic we are also interested in hearing COTH opinions on.
            I believe in this situation, since there is a possibility that goods/services may have the potential to be provided by individuals that may also serve on the board- careful language will need to be used, as Jenn suggested.

Comment

Well, as a BOD...it seems I pay out, not get paid!!!

I know we had to be very careful & precise in writing our by laws.
              www.specialhorses.org
              a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

Originally posted by cowgirljenn View Post

I have read where the president of the HSUS, a non profit, has a salary of $204,000 and benefits.
                So, I think it is legal to pay non profit employees conducting non profit business.

It used to be that non profits like the Red Cross board and officers were all volunteers and no one was paid.
                Don't know when that changed.

The problem with paid work for non profits by anyone volunteering is that there definitively can be conflict of interest and questions how the money coming in as donations is used, if for the cause the non profit handles or to give some enterprising people a way to have a job.

Comment

Originally posted by Marli View Post
                  I believe in this situation, since there is a possibility that goods/services may have the potential to be provided by individuals that may also serve on the board- careful language will need to be used, as Jenn suggested.
                  exactly Marli, and it is now and will be as we go forward.

Some people however, do have an issue with non-profits paying anyone and I wanted to be sure I stressed why we would need to do that. In our case 90% of the program relies on Physical, Occupational and Speech Therapists and their support staff as well as Child Psychologists and other professionals. Finding medical and mental health professionals willing to cover 40+ hours each week is rough, and because we are a small underserved area already...well, it's vital we do our best to ensure we retain the best staff we can. Our situation is a bit unique...it compares more to a community and human services organization than an equine org. The horses are a huge part of it though!

Comment

• Original Poster

Yes, I totally understand and it is reasonable, imo.

Comment

A BOG member who is paid for professional services isn't unheard of. However, it is fraught with danger. A nonprofit would need to take extraordinary measures to ensure the transaction was at arms length and did not constitute private inurement.

Any business or transaction involving a BOG member would be subject to careful examination - and that would be considered perfectly normal.

Same issue pertains to a BOG member who received any benefits of any kind from the nonprofit.

As far as being paid - a nonprofit run by volunteers is all fine and dandy but if the nonprofit grows to a certain size, paid employees become necessary and legitimate.

At the other end of the spectrum is the gigantic Enron type charities that don't really do much but churn money. Extremely well paid employees with tremendous and very generous benefits.
                      Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                      Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                      -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                        I have read where the president of the HSUS, a non profit, has a salary of $204,000 and benefits.
                        So, I think it is legal to pay non profit employees conducting non profit business.
                        Paying EMPLOYEES is perfectly normal.

But the question was about paying BOARD MEMBERS.

I know the board members for CDCTA don't get paid. And I am pretty sure that the board members for USEA and USEF don't get paid. Though they may, in some cases, be reimbursed for travel expenses.
                        Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

• Original Poster

Can anyone give as an example (it is disclosed info on 990's) a horse rescue org. that is not so large (more in comparing apples to apples as opposed to using HSUS that is very large) that has board members that do receive compensation?

Comment

Originally posted by Bluey View Post
                            Now I have something to aspire to! *grin*

More seriously, I think it all depends on how you set it up. And that you are honest about it.

So much is expected of nonprofits now that I think it is hard for the larger ones to operate without any paid staff and get stuff done. I'm paid minimum wage (for 40 hours/week, although I work far more than that most weeks) and we now pay a book-keeper (a whopping $100/month and he also will be doing our 990s included in that $1200/year). We just got too big to keep both positions volunteer. AND we're honest about who gets paid and how much. (And both positions are getting below what is comparable in other similar size non-profits and in similar-size corporations).

We don't pay our Directors and won't. We would eventually like to pay an admin. assistant and a part-time fundraiser, but those things are both faaaaaaar in the future. We want the bulk of our money going to the horses.
                            Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

Not related to the recent threads - but I have always wondered - how can anyone run a rescue full time and not get paid? Ummmm.. what are they supposed to eat? Donated leather?
                              "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                              ---
                              The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by EqTrainer View Post
                                Not related to the recent threads - but I have always wondered - how can anyone run a rescue full time and not get paid? Ummmm.. what are they supposed to eat? Donated leather?

I'll be honest.. in my mind, it IS related to the recent threads.
                                How can someone run a rescue, own a farm, a trailer, truck, involve the whole family in the rescue (husband, children) and not be paid? That's when I am leery of broker prices when (and we have seen this before) it is so easy to tack on an arbitrary amount to said broker price... just wondering!

I would accept payment to someone doing the ground work day in and day out and being on the BOD but it has to be clearly stated.

Comment

Originally posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho" View Post
                                  Well, as a BOD...it seems I pay out, not get paid!!!

I know we had to be very careful & precise in writing our by laws.
                                  Exactly! Some NFP end up going under because their directors earn nothing and can not even sustain themselves. BOD should be made up of self sufficient people who can take on the responsibilities without needing compensation. That is why it is a charity.

Locally a small rescue went under because the local online horse crowd decided she must take a vow of poverty along with running a 24/7/365 rescue at her own home. Poor dear was ridiculed for even the slightest indulgence - paid for with HER money Not the Rescues of course. It drove her nuts! They would chatter online about a new show halter for her personal horse NOT supported by the rescue. Or even any personal purchase made that was not sack cloth and ashes. It was HORRID! She finally ran out of person cash sold and moved on. The drum beats of the local online crowd are merciless.
                                  "If you don't know where you are going, any road will take you there"

Comment

Originally posted by Woodland View Post
                                    Exactly! Some NFP end up going under because their directors earn nothing and can not even sustain themselves. BOD should be made up of self sufficient people who can take on the responsibilities without needing compensation. That is why it is a charity.

Locally a small rescue went under because the local online horse crowd decided she must take a vow of poverty along with running a 24/7/365 rescue at her own home. Poor dear was ridiculed for even the slightest indulgence - paid for with HER money Not the Rescues of course. It drove her nuts! They would chatter online about a new show halter for her personal horse NOT supported by the rescue. Or even any personal purchase made that was not sack cloth and ashes. It was HORRID! She finally ran out of person cash sold and moved on. The drum beats of the local online crowd are merciless.
                                    I so understand where you are coming from with this and it is something that we struggled with when it comes to our program here at our farm. You are under a microscope...and that is ok! But there will always be some bitter folks out there that will not even accept thorough online financials. That is a fact of life unfortunately. Lucky for me my newest car is a 1996 and I haven't been on a vacation since my honeymoon nearly 16 years ago

A few years ago I was involved with a TR group. Nice program but lots of drama. But they also had 5 horses in the program but volunteer time and donations went to support the other nine horses the owner of the property had there as well. Since all the horses are on the same property that means the insurance is higher (especially since there was a stallion) along with the other costs such as hay, grain, farrier care, vet care etc. That to me was very wrong. It happens ALL THE TIME though. To make matters worse, volunteer efforts went to a few of the horses that were paying boarders. Not cool. But again, a very common occurrence.

Comment

Originally posted by FalseImpression View Post
                                      I'll be honest.. in my mind, it IS related to the recent threads.
                                      How can someone run a rescue, own a farm, a trailer, truck, involve the whole family in the rescue (husband, children) and not be paid? That's when I am leery of broker prices when (and we have seen this before) it is so easy to tack on an arbitrary amount to said broker price... just wondering!

I would accept payment to someone doing the ground work day in and day out and being on the BOD but it has to be clearly stated.
                                      I think you are missing my point entirely. HOW is someone supposed to work full time running a rescue AND make any money to live on? Is running a rescue only for the independently wealthy? Everyone has to eat.
                                      "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
                                      ---
                                      The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

Originally posted by EqTrainer View Post
                                        I think you are missing my point entirely. HOW is someone supposed to work full time running a rescue AND make any money to live on? Is running a rescue only for the independently wealthy? Everyone has to eat.
                                        Somehow they make it work. What got me started was Lori from Sunkissed, after the barn burned down and insurance did not completely cover (of course!) doing foal watch to help meet expenses.This is why it is so critical to have support for fundraisers, because you simply can't do it all.

But it is also why people often get confused between what is the rescue and what is personal...which is why you need to be absolutely transparent.
                                        www.specialhorses.org
                                        a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

Working...
                                        X