• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Chestnuts (on legs)... explaining them to a creationist???

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Chestnuts (on legs)... explaining them to a creationist???

As an instructor who has many up-down kiddies and a few adult beginners on the lesson schedule, inevitably parents or adult newbies will eventually ask me what "those things on the horse's legs are." I used to go through the whole spiel of how they are remnants of toes from when the horse was a five-toed critter. I would explain how the modern day horse is essentially walking on his middle toe, and I would tell them about the two splint bones, the ergot at the back of the fetlock, and the chestnut, thus accounting for all five toes.

But after having one parent flat out say "You actually believe that?" and laugh at me I have altered my answer a bit. I now preface my spiel by saying "If you believe in evolution then blah blah blah blah blah... If not, then I don't know why they are there, but every horse has them."

I don't have a particularly strong opinion on the subject of evolution but I certainly never thought I would get into a debate about it at the barn, and I am now wondering if I should just shrug and say I have no idea why they are there.

And to steal Jsalem's wording from an earlier thread because I am feeling unoriginal at the moment, COTH'ers Discuss...

I believe in creation and I know why the chestnuts are there.

They are natural dog treats! As soon as I peel or cut one off, my one dog goes nuts.

A happy day for him is when I trim Mac, the Belgian. His chestnuts and ergots are so huge they actually split and grow into 3 pieces...
    Barbara www.customstockties.com
    Tulsa-QH; Schnickelfritz-Holsteiner; Atikus-Danish Warmblood; Buddy-QH/TB; Winston-Shire; Thomas-Percheron/TB; Mac-Belgian Draft, gone but never forgotten

Comment

• Original Poster

Isn't that the truth? Our barn dogs have a radar for when chestnuts are being picked off. Nellie the corgi is the worst. She will lurk under the horse's feet until a "yummy" hits the ground.

Comment

Why would a creationist parent even ask that question, when they already know the answer?

I wouldn't hedge. Answer it directly and then if someone challenges you, invite them to research and report back on a better answer.

I'd like a creationist to explain the hock joint to me. Is it because God believes in full employment for veterinarians and pharmaceutical companies?
        If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Well IMO evolution isn't something that requires belief. The facts are there, and facts do not require faith...they have been proven true. So it's not a matter of "believing" in evolution; that woman is just wrong and foolish.

I probably would have told her that yes, I did believe it, and would she care to provide me with scientific proof for some other way that chestnuts got there. That would shut her up...

Comment

I can sympathize. I spent a lot of time around Pentecostals earlier this year, and while they were on the whole lovely people, it was impossible to have a conversation about science with them. You literally could not do it. They would just circle their illogical arguments over and over.

You won't win. The parent was way out of line to laugh at you, but you are never going to change his or her mind. A dignified, "Yes, I do believe that," would suffice.

Comment

Most creationists are "factual literal" translator of the Bible - they simply cannot see how the Bible can be interpreted differently. If they dare to deviate from what they've been brought up on, they fear dire consequences. So, no matter what we say to them, no matter how much evidences we present to them, they will not change their mind. We can only change one mind at a time. :/

The best answer I can give them is what evidences I have in front of me. I'd add that dolphins were once DOGS!!!!!! I get a big kick out of that!
              Will get a dream horse!
              More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

Comment

Funny story about that!

My barn used to do little Girl Scout clinics for the girls to get some sort of badge. We'd have 3 sections, a little riding (being lead around the ring) section, a grooming.horse care section, and a lecture section. I often lead the lecture section and always went through the same spiel talking about conformation and I always talked about the evolution of the horse and where chestnuts came from.

Once day I was doing my usual talk and one of the girls told me that they didn't believe in evolution and they started arging with me. It turned out that this group of girl scouts were all from some born-again christian school where they taught creationism.

No one told me that. I would have left that section out... I was pretty uncomfortable about the whole thing... And the thing is, you can't argue against that. Empirical evidence means nothing to them...
                Originally posted by tidy rabbit
                Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

If the creationists believe that they were put there by some supernatural power then they should be able to tell you why.

Creationists make me insane.
                  "Is it ignorance or apathy? Hey, I don't know and I don't care." ~Jimmy Buffett

Comment

Tell them God put them there to test the faith of creationists....much like why we have Duckbill Platypusses.

(or re the DP- God was stoned and thought, "Hey...This will really mess with their minds...I'll make something that looks like a Beaver, has a bill like a duck,and is a mammal that lays eggs. That will really mess with those people that believe in evolution..Hey Moses!!!Check this out!!!"

Comment

Well, THIS "creationist" has concluded that anybody that thinks a chestnut is the remanant of an old toe is an idiot. (Evolution may have some believable points, but THIS is NOT one of 'em!)

Think about it. Dogs like them 'cuz they STINK. Think about a newborn foal -- what distinctive odor is right under his momma's nose as she's licking him off -- HIS CHESTNUTS! What distinctive odor is right at his nose level when he's bumbling around trying to get his legs untangled -- HER CHESTNUTS!!! There could be no more perfect system for momma and baby to form a formidable bond in those precious few minutes before the foal is up and running and accidental separation of the mother/offspring could occur, with disasterous results if there wasn't a good way for them to instantly identify each other. Sight isn't good enough. Sound isn't either. But smell -- smell is infallible.

Quit trying to claim toe status for something that was obviously never a toe -- no animal ever had a toe above the knee (wrist) joint. The ergot was never a toe, either. Nothing but some birds has a toe sticking out backwards from the foot. Even from an evolutionary standpoint, these thingamajigs as "scent glands" makes a lot more sense than them being prehistoric toes. Also, no creationist can dispute this, and it will make perfect sense to them as well.

FWIW, deer have scent glands in more or less the same spots. Nobody ever claimed THOSE were toes in prehistoric times...

Comment

...not even touching this one.

chugga-chugga-chugga, choo-chooooo!

Comment

I would keep explaining chestnuts the way you always have. Contrary to the behavior of a certain subset of the faithful, being a devout Christian does not require one to inflict snarky religious comments on random people one encounters during the course of one's daily activities. This parent was rude.

Comment

Nevermind. Forget I posted. I'm hopping off this train right now.
                            Originally posted by tidy rabbit
                            Oh, well, clearly you're not thoroughly indoctrinated to COTH yet, because finger pointing and drawing conclusions are the cornerstones of this great online community.

Comment

AAAAAALLLLLLLLLL AAAAABOOOOAAARD!!
                              Big Idea Eventing

Comment

See? You can't argue with a creationist, because if one person wants (heaven - pun intended - forbid!) EVIDENCE and the other person would rather just make something up whole cloth, the two are never going to be able to find common ground.

Personally, I would give the evolution explanation, and if someone questions it say, "If you didn't want the answer, you shouldn't have asked" - and then refuse to discuss the subject any further.
                                Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

Would someone please pass me the popcorn?
                                  Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
                                  www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Comment

I just want to know what the hell an "ergot" is. I've had horses for years and never heard that term. (I know what chesnuts are, though!) It must be called something else down here, LOL.
                                    Randi
                                    "If you can't walk with the big horses, stay in the stall!"

Comment

You know that little nub on the back of their pasterns...It grows...you can trim them...That's the ergot.

Comment

Originally posted by Duramax View Post
                                        But after having one parent flat out say "You actually believe that?" and laugh at me I have altered my answer a bit.

That was extremely rude. Nobody was asking her opinion. And you should not alter your answer, diluting its roots in facts just to keep a few creationists more comfortable.

Next time she starts on that, shift the topic to human evolution. Ask her why human fetuses have a clearly discernable tail up until about day 40 when the appendage is reabsorbed. If humans aren't related to ANY animal, why the tail? That ought to confuse her a moment.

Originally posted by greysandbays
                                        Well, THIS "creationist" has concluded that anybody that thinks a chestnut is the remanant of an old toe is an idiot. (Evolution may have some believable points, but THIS is NOT one of 'em!)
                                        Originally posted by greysandbays

Quit trying to claim toe status for something that was obviously never a toe -- no animal ever had a toe above the knee (wrist) joint. The ergot was never a toe, either.
                                        Mark me off as an idiot then.

Look more carefully at horse anatomy. Do you really know where the "wrist" analogy is in the front leg? It's not the pastern joint.

Here is a good diagram of horse anatomy including similarities to human limbs:
                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Equine_forelimb_anatomy

We also have fossil records that over time show the toes vanishing. Here's one diagram that shows the changes over time:
                                        http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Evolution_of_the_horse

Nothing but some birds has a toe sticking out backwards from the foot.

The location/angle of the ergot isn't much different than the dewclaw on a pig. Neither are actual functioning toes pointing back and perpindicular to the ground (like your bird analogy).

How do you explain dewclaws if they're not the leftover bit of a toe?
                                        Veterinarians for Equine Welfare

Comment

Working...
                                        X