• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Porlock Vale Students Unite!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Porlock Vale Students Unite!

Greetings, I am looking for anyone and everyone who may have attended the Porlock Vale Equitation Centre in Somerset, UK. We have a Facebook page and are sharing experiences, catching up with old friends, and so on. If you attended in any form or fashion, please join us.
    Mary-Louise (Robey) LeVeen '75

PVEC

I was there twice in 1976 for my AI and in 1978 for my II. Such good memories
    www.haute-ecole.com

Comment

PVEC

I'm thinking you were there when John Lassiter was the Chief Instructor? I left in March or April of '76. Do you remember any of the horses, such as the one you looked after? Would you like to join the FB group? we already have 25 members and some you may remember. Check out the site anyway; just type in 'Porlock vale students' in the FB search box.
      Marylouise

Comment

Does a week count?????? If it would give me extra credit points.......I loved every minute of it! I finally learned to look up when jumping down banks when my instructor would scream at me " LOOK AT WALES!!!!!!"

Do they still have an equestrian center there?

Comment

PVEC

Absolutely it counts. I have heard the 'Look at Wales' cry before though did not hear it personally on my course. When were you there?
          Unfortunately, the riding school recently closed but the house is available for weekly rentals. The photos indicate that many of the cross country jumps are still intact.
          Please check out our Facebook page; you never know - you may find someone you remember! I don't know your email or I would send you a link, but just type in 'porlock vale students' in the FB search box and that will take you there.
          MaryLouise

Comment

I read "The Horsemasters" about a dozen times as a kid.
            I *so* wanted to go to Porlock Vale!
            "It's like a Russian nesting doll of train wrecks."--CaitlinandTheBay

...just settin' on the Group W bench.

Comment

My big dream was to attend Prolock Vale when I was 10 years old after seeing The Horsemasters Disney movie way back in 1966! One of my best buds who is also my wonderful trainer, Betsey Pack is a Porlock Vale alumni--I'll pass this on to her! Do you have the book Porlock Vale Riding School 1946 - 1961? I think I got it on Amazon; it's written by the founder's daughter I believe...lots of history and pics.

Comment

My dream was to do the "Horsemasters" course after reading the book "The Horsemasters" way back in the 60's. I must have been about 10 years old. Lo and behold, in my ripe mid-forties I took myself off to England (Yorkshire Riding Centre) and Scotland (Gleneagles) and did intensive BHS training. I even bought a wisp and I was actually asked to demonstrate its proper use during my Stage 1 exam!

P.S. I still have the book -- it's a cherished possession!

Comment

Porlock was my dream as well after watching the movie! (I bought both the movie and book off Ebay recently!) Never got to go but went to Potomac Horse Center where several of the instructors had gone or worked at Porlock Vale!

Comment

Porlock Vale

That movie certainly generated interest in the school; unfortunately I was not allowed to watch the night it aired - something about a poor mark on a test. Jacqueline Peck who wrote the book about the early days at Porlock is in our Facebook group and has shared loads of memories and photos. Please check out our Facebook page!
                    Marylouise

Comment

Hi Marylouise ~

Welcome to the forums! We try to avoid crossposting threads to mulitple forums to reduce clutter and keep info together, so we merged your threads into one here in Off Course, which is seen by participants of multiple disciplines.

If you'd prefer it to be in another forum, just send me a note, and I can move it over there.

Enjoy the board!
                      Mod 1

Comment

Originally posted by Ghazzu View Post
                        I read "The Horsemasters" about a dozen times as a kid.
                        I *so* wanted to go to Porlock Vale!
                        you an me both. I wonder where my book is? It was so little and fat, remember? I too had a wisp, probably still have it somewhere in my old tackbox
                        Ellipses users clique ...
                        TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Comment

Originally posted by mlrl2820 View Post
                          That movie certainly generated interest in the school; unfortunately I was not allowed to watch the night it aired - something about a poor mark on a test. Jacqueline Peck who wrote the book about the early days at Porlock is in our Facebook group and has shared loads of memories and photos. Please check out our Facebook page!
                          Marylouise
                          OMG, you too!! I had some assignment that I hadn't completed yet, and I wasn't allowed to watch it that night, either! One of the worst punishments, ever, and I remember every second of it, while the rest of the family was down in the living room with the TV and a big bowl of popcorn, and I was on lockup in my bedroom! Too funny!

Going there was my dream, as well. And my Monstrpony was the reincarnation of that big horse with the messy stall (tho he never lived up to the XC ride at the end).
                          "One person's cowboy is another person's blooming idiot" -- katarine

Spay and neuter. Please.

Comment

Hello! What a nice 'memory jog' this thread is. I got my BHSAI from Porlock in 1971. I just dug my old pictures out and here are the horses I have photos of: Dunkery (the mare I took care of), Bracken, Teal, Whiskey, Picadilly, Sport, Jigsaw, Scrumpy, Aer Lingus, Rambler (Rosy), Killarney, Roulette, Thistle, Panther, Piege, Madam, Sunrise, Selworthy, Ben's Pride (Pridley), Honeymorn, Recorder, and Jonathan. The instructors (whose last names I do not remember) who were there at that time were Josephine, Cheryl, and Tony; Colonel John Crawford was the head of the school and occasionally gave us lectures or instruction. I have some old 8mm movies of a couple of our jumping lessons, as well as of us swilling down the yard (we even had a song that we sang while we did it, and I still remember one verse and the refrain!). Thanks for bringing back some fond memories.

Comment

cross posting

Originally posted by Moderator 1 View Post
                              Hi Marylouise ~

Welcome to the forums! We try to avoid crossposting threads to mulitple forums to reduce clutter and keep info together, so we merged your threads into one here in Off Course, which is seen by participants of multiple disciplines.

If you'd prefer it to be in another forum, just send me a note, and I can move it over there.

Enjoy the board!
                              Mod 1
                              OK, you're the boss, but I don't see that someone searching in 'Dressage' would necessarily also look in 'Off Course'.
                              Thx for the heads up.
                              Marylouise

Comment

Originally posted by copper1 View Post
                                Porlock was my dream as well after watching the movie! (I bought both the movie and book off Ebay recently!) Never got to go but went to Potomac Horse Center where several of the instructors had gone or worked at Porlock Vale!
                                Ditto Copper1. I was there after Stretch Harding brought Betty Howett and Collette Stevens over. Lockie Richards was there also but I believe that Lockie came from Fulmer, not Porlock Vale.

Did my horsemasters AI in the fall '65 I think. I stayed on and managed the 'top barn' for maybe a yr after Lockie and Jane left for PA. I loved every minute of it.
                                Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

Desperately seeking fellow alumni of Porlock Vale Equitation Centre!
                                  Are you one of us or do you know someone who is?
                                  We have a Facebook group and are growing by the day.
                                  Come join us and relive some of those great days on the muck heap and moors!
                                  MaryLouise (Robey) LeVeen '74-'76

Comment

Porlock

Thanks Mary Louise for starting the Facebook page. It's so much fun "meeting up" with former classmates and students too. There are so many of us out there, I only hope that they will join in the fun, especially since we're talking reunion! Great seeing the pictures posted so far and hope that there will be many more.
                                    Side note to msj, Lockie Richards was on staff at Porlock and in the early 70's here, still talked fondly of the old school.

Comment

Originally posted by Bostonbadger View Post
                                      Thanks Mary Louise for starting the Facebook page. It's so much fun "meeting up" with former classmates and students too. There are so many of us out there, I only hope that they will join in the fun, especially since we're talking reunion! Great seeing the pictures posted so far and hope that there will be many more.
                                      Side note to msj, Lockie Richards was on staff at Porlock and in the early 70's here, still talked fondly of the old school.
                                      Thanks for the update on Lockie. I do believe I remember hearing or reading in the COTH that he had died.

Does anyone have any information on Betty Howett or Collette Stevens?
                                      Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

Originally posted by lintesia View Post
                                        My dream was to do the "Horsemasters" course after reading the book "The Horsemasters" way back in the 60's. I must have been about 10 years old. Lo and behold, in my ripe mid-forties I took myself off to England (Yorkshire Riding Centre) and Scotland (Gleneagles) and did intensive BHS training. I even bought a wisp and I was actually asked to demonstrate its proper use during my Stage 1 exam!

P.S. I still have the book -- it's a cherished possession!
                                        Hi there - did you know there is a YRC group on Facebook too - just search under Yorkshire Riding Centre. there are some good photos of the old days - and lots of new ones too.

Comment

Working...
                                        X