• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

The Difference Between Calling the Vet and Calling the People Doctor

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• The Difference Between Calling the Vet and Calling the People Doctor

Thoughts from a frustrating day.

If you call the vet, he will return your call quite promptly - always assuming that he didn't answer the phone in the first place himself.

If you call the people doctor, you will speak to the secretary, who will speak to the nurse, who will speak to the doctor, who will relay a message back to the nurse, who will relay a message back to the secretary, who will eventually call you back. Wet, lather, and repeat for each successive communication and additional information needed.

If you call the vet, he assumes that your description of the symptoms you are seeing is valid.

If you call the people doctor, the doctor apparently assumes, as relayed down the many person communication grapevine, that of course you have no clue what you are talking about, even if you are describing a chronic, recurring, and charted problem you've had a history of for decades.

If you call the vet, he realizes that you know your horse best, as you spend the most time with your horse, and he listens to you.

If you call the people doctor, he doesn't believe a thing you say about your body until he has examined it himself.

If you call the vet, he knows that he isn't God.

If you call the people doctor, he can sometimes be a bit confused on that distinction.

If you call the vet, he will come out to your farm many miles for a farm fee of $50.

If you call the people doctor, he will insist that you drive many further miles into the city to his clinic for an exam fee of $155.

If you call the vet, he will bring his portable pharmacy with him and dispense whatever is needed.

If you call the people doctor, after you finish going to the office for the exam, you will get to go stand in line at Walmart with a minimum requirement of 3 screaming kids nearby and then have your prescription misfilled when you get up to the desk. Is $4 worth this?

If you call the vet, his fee for the entire trip, exam, and meds will be far less, and he will take payments if needed.

If you call the people doctor, be ready to whip out the charge card, if not take out a loan.

If you call the vet, your total paperwork for most appointments consists of a bill from him and a check from you.

If you call the doctor, bring extra pens.

So true !!!
    "When a horse greets you with a nicker & regards you with a large & liquid eye, the question of where you want to be & what you want to do has been answered." CANTER New England

Comment

Very true, and as usual, very well written.

Hope you are feeling better.
      InnisFailte Pinto Sporthorses & Coloured Cobs
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Bits are like cats, what's one more? (Petstorejunkie)

Comment

Spot on!
        www.specialhorses.org
        a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

The difference is, if a human patient's hair hurt because he does not bother to read and takes three times of the prescribed dosage, he can probably sue his doctor for millions and win (how dare the doctor did not anticipate that anyone might take three times of the prescribed dose), or lose but get millions anyway from settlement. So the doctor has to buy that million dollar insurance to cover his butt. Now that million dollar insurance does not come cheap. What to do? spend 10 minutes with each patient and charge him $150, then you get to make $900 a hour. If you are really good at avoiding conversation with any patient and see 12 patients in a hour (5 minutes/patient), you get to earn $1800 a hour. That math just gets better and better.

Horses cannot do that.

OK. I'm being cynical but hey there is truth in that huh?

Comment

VERY true!! But only of the "American people doctor"... especially when it comes to pricing!
            In Europe you spend way more on vet bills than you do on doctor bills, even if you're in the doctor's office every other week and your horse is never sick ...

https://www.facebook.com/VoltaireDesign

Comment

I've often said I'd rather be treated by a team of vets and students at the UC Davis vet med teaching hospital than at a people hospital. That was especially true when I had Kaiser as my HMO. Wish I could just tell the vets I'm bringing in a 41-year-old chestnut mare with some arthritis and chronic back pain, and let them fix me up, er, I mean fix the old mare up with, some Legend and Adequan.
              Visit the County Island, home of Whiskey the ranch horse: http://countyisland.wordpress.com
              Visit him on Facebook:
              http://www.facebook.com/WhiskeyRanch-Horse

Comment

And my vet is sympathetic and gives great hugs. I wish she could be with me when my time comes (hopefully many many years away)!
                RIP Mydan Mydandy+
                RIP Barichello

Comment

I went through this same thought process when my mother was ill. I could not get anyone to listen, return a phone call or even give a whit about my dear, darling aged mother.

My dear, darling aged horse got sick and Doc was here on-the-spot in the middle of the night. Explained everything, gave medications, gave me his cell phone number, told me to call if I was even just WORRIED about anything.

I wished he could take care of my mother. Or that I could find someone half as good for her. I never did.

Comment

Actually, if you call the people Dr., more than likely you will be answered by an automated answering machine that gives you 56 options that are spoken quite rapidly and none that you can remember so you have to press option 57 to repeat the above options. After 5-15 minutes you MIGHT get a real person on the line and then are told (not really asked ) "Would you please hold?"

Also consider when you initially dial the phone number for the Dr's office you will ALWAYS get a busy signal if you call on a Monday or Friday and for the first 3 hrs that the office opens, and it will take you several hrs of hitting REDIAL before the busy signal finally stops. Keep in mind that many Dr's still take Thurday's off for the afternoon golf game.
                    Sue

I'm not saying let's go kill all the stupid people...I'm just saying let's remove all the warning labels and let the problem sort itself out.

Comment

Here's another...

You call the vet, say, "Hi, I'm new in town, I was wondering if I could schedule time for a new patient consult/exam for my horse/dog/mouse?" and the vet says, "Welcome to town! When are you free?"

You call the people doctor and say, "Hi, I'm new in town, I was wondering if I could schedule a time for a new patient exam/visit?" and the doctor says, "Oh, we're not accepting any new patients." (As if "new patient" were a dirty word!) Then, if you beg and plead and cry, if you're reaaaally lucky they might give you the name of a walk-in clinic 1-2 hours away, where you can spend twice as much for half the service (because really, how good can the service be when they have none of your records and only 10 minutes to talk to you?).

Comment

I am so blessed to have both a great veterinarian (who listens to me) and a BF who is a doctor (who listens to me)

Me: Chey has a fever and I'm concerned.
                        Vet: I'll be there in 30 min

Me: Dude, my chest is killing me.
                        Dr. BF: Let's do an EKG honey.

Yep, I am doubly blessed.

A good horseman doesn't have to tell anyone...the horse already knows.

Might be a reason, never an excuse...

Comment

I'm in Canada, and while I don't have to pay for health care for myself, we are short on doctors and mine has moved out of town. If I REALLY need something, I know the emergency room could be a 6 to 12 hour wait. Including refilling prescriptions. If all the doctors are away on holidays, you might need to travel to another city. Unless you can find a walk-in clinic, where you are still waiting several hours. I'm SOOOO glad the vet's office isn't like that (although the vet travels from 45min away!).
                          Jigga:
                          Why must you chastise my brilliant idea with facts and logic? **picks up toys (and wine) and goes home**

Comment

Nother differance:

Horses take what meds are given, snort & maybe spit some of them out.

People take their meds and sell them on the street/crush them & snort/dont take them at all. Then wonder why they yell at people or cry all the time. You know who you are.

Whats wrong with a horse is exactly whats wrong. If they limp its not becuase they have a tick in their ear.

Whats wrong with a person is um, not always what it seems. Lots of people in pain out there.

Guess who I work for?
                            “Management is doing things right; leadership is doing the right things.” Peter Drucker

Comment

• Original Poster

Yeah, I could understand being a lot stricter on narcotics or such. But a basic antibiotic prescription? And by the way, I've been a medical transcriptionist for years and have typed on my share of idiots. I know they're out there. I also know that like an MT, people in a doc's office develop a "radar" after much exposure for who is probably legit and who is probably either clueless or dealing.

I have a history of recurrent ear infections throughout life. Extensively documented. Have seen the doc many times. Doc has called in Rx many other times without appointment. I have been a patient in this clinic since 1976. I have been a patient of this doc since 1995. That's known as established. So this morning, with bad ear infection flared up, hardly able to sleep last night, pain flaring down the whole side of my head through the canal, absolutely classic symptoms and no non-matching symptoms, I called in to give a "got another one; I need the usual" message.

Doc was on vacation. So I got referred to on-call doc and spent HOURS going through phone tag back and forth. Note that on-call doc was in the same clinic and did have access to my chart. This happens often, folks. I know what I'm talking about. All I wanted was my usual antibiotic. I wasn't asking for narcotics, and my history is right there for them to see that this happens regularly. Nope, I got delays, more questions (which I'd already answered), delays, more questions, listing symptoms I did have, listing symptoms I didn't have, and then they said I needed to be seen to make sure it was an ear infection, because apparently, in spite of my dozens of times having them, they weren't sure I knew one. $155 clinic fee, or of course I could go to urgent care.

I went to a discount clinic instead. As an MT, I'm normally quite picky on choosing my medical practitioners, but I figured that any idiot with an ear scope could diagnose this in 2 seconds. Found a discount clinic run by a good NP who listened to me, believed me (without chart) when I said this happened often and I knew the signs, and on exam, the ear looked so bad that she spontaneously offered me pain meds herself, when all I'd asked for was an antibiotic. And then she asked which antibiotic I usually got for these and took my word for it.

And then I went to Walmart pharmacy. Sigh.

I understand being cautious. I understand weeding out the nutjobs and drug seekers. I do not understand refusing a simple antibiotic prescription that it is DOCUMENTED has been given many times routinely on a call-in for this DOCUMENTED recurrent problem.

Should have called my vet.

Comment

It drives me nuts to call my primary care doctors office and immediately put into the voice mail/hold system where I'm told that my phone call is very important and will be answered shortly. If my call was important someone would actually answer the damn phone. If you call my office, a human answers it by the third ring at worst. I think in four years the only time a phone call has ever gone into voice mail was the other week while we were dealing with the repercussions of a dog mauling my technician.

Comment

Originally posted by BuddyRoo View Post
                                  I am so blessed to have both a great veterinarian (who listens to me) and a BF who is a doctor (who listens to me)
                                  Me: Chey has a fever and I'm concerned.
                                  Vet: I'll be there in 30 min
                                  Me: Dude, my chest is killing me.
                                  Dr. BF: Let's do an EKG honey.
                                  Yep, I am doubly blessed.
                                  *Visions of BRs BF doing a chest exam*

Comment

Originally posted by dressagetraks View Post

Should have called my vet.
                                    Why not? My vet would not refuse to drop in a pack of antibiotics if I would be ill and not feeling well enough to go to town to see a doctor

But about prices in Europe... Yes, my vet bills for last year in comparison with my doctor's is about 50:1. And my vet is really cheap in comparison with others.
                                    ** I LOVE PUIKA FAN CLUB*** member

Comment

Originally posted by dressagetraks View Post
                                      Yeah, I could understand being a lot stricter on narcotics or such. But a basic antibiotic prescription? ... Should have called my vet.
                                      The veterinary version probably is cheaper, too. Maybe you can get it at the feed store.
                                      "Things should be as simple as possible,
                                      but no simpler." - Einstein

“So what’s with the years of lessons? You still can’t ride a damn horse?!”

Comment

If you think U.S. human care is bad now, wait'll ObamaCare kicks in and there's a government bureaucrat standing between you and your doctor!

Incidentally, a scheduled visit with my primary care physician costs about $65, and the wait is 30 - 45 minutes, much less if you schedule first thing in the morning or right after lunch. For unscheduled visits, he can usually get you in the same day unless you call later in the afternoon. Even then, if it's really bad, but not needing the ER, he'll work you in after hours. Often he'll just phone in a prescription for routine ills.

Obviously, his waiting list for new patients is a mile long!
                                        The inherent vice of Capitalism is the unequal sharing of blessings. The inherent virtue of Socialism is the equal sharing of miseries.
                                        Winston Churchill

Comment

Working...
                                        X