• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Ever Called The Vet Out And...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Ever Called The Vet Out And...

...felt totally silly by the time they got there? I am still mentally kicking myself and I have had a couple of hours to let it sink in.

I had an 8 a.m. lesson scheduled this morning. I got to the barn around 7:30 and glanced at my gelding in his stall as I walked by on my way to the tack room. I was getting my tack together when the BO walks in and tells me that my guy has a "fat eye". I hadn't seen anything wrong a few minutes before, but hadn't really looked closely. I headed out to his stall run to get a look in day light and sure enough, his right eye is swollen pretty much shut.

Okay. There is garbage spread all over the indoor cross-tie area that the interior of my gelding's stall looks out on, so the idea quickly forms that maybe a raccoon got in and made a racket and my guy spooked and banged himself in the process.

I cleaned it out with a homemade saline solution. No gaping flesh and his eyeball was intact and looked unscathed. The upper lid was abraded, like he had skinned it when he banged into whatever. I iced it for about 10 minutes, gave him a couple of grams of bute and put some antibiotic ointment on it before turning him out with his fly mask on. My instructor and I both agreed that a lesson wasn't a good idea, so that was canceled and she helped me clean him up. He looked a little better by the time he was turned out, not as swollen.

Okay, so I have lunch with a friend and before I meet her I swing by the barn to take a look at his eye. The swelling is back and there is a fair amount of heat. I get worried and decide to call the vet. I mean, I could have missed something when I examined him earlier. I was thinking that there might even be a splinter in all that swelling, and if that was the case he would probably need to be sedated to get it out. Plus, I just knew that if I figured that the vet was not needed on a Friday afternoon, sometime on Sunday morning it would become shockingly apparent that he did, in fact, need the vet out.

I call the vet, explain the situation to him and he says (of course) that he should come out and take a look to be on the safe side. So out he comes.

And of course, as soon as I made the call and committed to the vet, his eye didn't look all that bad. He was eating fine, and drinking. And when the vet actually got there, he agreed with me. My horse is fine, although he looks like he went a few rounds with Mike Tyson. He didn't even have a scratch on the eyelid, just that one abrasion that I had cleaned out earlier. No splinter. No pierced eyeball.

And, to add insult to injury...when I was icing his eyelid this morning he stepped on my foot. When I had the chance to sit down and take my boot off I found out that he had ground the lower portion of the nail on my big toe into the nail bed. I am missing half of my stinking toenail now, it was pulverized by his great big hoof. And the whole toe is swollen and black. And it really, really hurts. How ironic is THAT?
    Sheilah

I can relate.

Was walking a gelding out one morning when he stopped to pee. I was paying NO attention until we started to walk away from the ENORMOUS puddle of blood.

Panicked call and vet visit later.....

He had chosen to stop and pee on the grass where Mr. FlightCheck had sent an armadillo to Jesus earlier in the day....sigh.

Comment

Yes

Glad his eye is ok. Sorry your toe isn't. I used to be at a co-op barn. Our joke was that I called the vet if a horse sneezed, Lady 2 called if they were three legged for a week, and Lady 3 called if all four legs were stiff and their
      eyes were little "x"s. My vet has a swimming pool and a very nice house - I don't.

Always better to play it safe and not berate yourself is something does go south.

Comment

Yeah... I think vets would rather be consulted "just in case" (assuming you do it calmly and respectfully) than only be consulted after things have gotten very, very bad.

You paid your vet for the visit, so I'm sure the vet was fine with it. Consider it a price for peace of mind.

Comment

I know you feel silly now. But eyes are funny. And you would feel way worse if something really was wrong and you didn't call.
          There are stars in the Southern sky and if ever you decide you should go there is a taste of time sweetened honey.

Comment

• Original Poster

Originally posted by HiddenAcres View Post
            My vet has a swimming pool and a very nice house - I don't.
            Yeah, I get that same feeling whenever I look at the huge honking rock of a wedding ring his wife wears.
            Honestly, he is a fantastic vet and I don't begrudge him the fruits of his labor. But I just know that I have paid for a very large portion of that ring!

On the bright side, this time he didn't have to pump anything into or out of my gelding. I am thinking that the bill will be less that $150 this time. My piece of mind is worth that amount. Mostly
            And you're 100% correct. I would have felt horrible if I hadn't called him out and there was something actually wrong. Better to feel silly than heartbroken.
            Sheilah

Comment

Oh, your poor toe!! Heal Fast!!

I've called the vet out for nothing 3 times in a row, on the same horse, within a 3 week period. Talk about feeling stupid. First time it was a swollen eye, that magically wasn't swollen by the time the vet came. Second time, it was swollen glands under the jaw - no longer swollen when vet got there. Third time, a snotty nose - didn't matter that it was realllyyy snotty when I made the call, because by the time the vet came, nadda.

By this time the vet was thinking that I was one of those people who 'holds pillows over their horse's face ' to get that sickly, bluish tinged complexion, then dials 911 for sympathy. Sigh. (HaHa though - horsey turned out to have alergies, so I wasn't a dingbat after all!) Plus, I paid for each and every false alarm.

Comment

No reason to feel silly at all. I too would never fool around with an eye issue. Too much to go wrong and it can go down hill very quickly. Better to be safe than sorry.
                MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
                http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

Better safe than sorry, especially with an eye. I've made unneccessary vet calls more than once, and when the bill comes, I try to remind myself that it would have been a lot bigger and a lot worse if the horse had actually been (fill in the blank).

My favorite is not HR...When I was in younger, I had a pet rabbit. My mom noticed one day that there was a strange new swelling between her hind legs. Mom pointed it out to me, and I freaked out - it was like this huge tumor that suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Of course, it was on a weekend, and I made dozens of calls before I found a vet that would see a rabbit emergency. Vet asked on the phone if I was sure the rabbit was a female and politely suggested that the swelling might be testicles. I laughed and said, I know testicles when I see them, it's a female rabbit, and she has a giant tumor. It must be painful because she doesn't want me to touch it.

So I brought the rabbit to the vet, and guess what? Diagnosis: Testicles. Apparently rabbits are not easy to sex when they are young, and the testicles can sometimes take more than a year to drop. $200 to find out my rabbit had testicles. No matter what kind of silly equine vet call I make, I don't think I can ever top that one.
                  Ristra Ranch Equestrian Jewelry

Comment

• Original Poster

No, you're right. I don't think any vet call could top the rabbit testicles. Although having seen some pretty scary looking rabbit testicles, I totally understand how their sudden appearance could cause concern.
                    Sheilah

Comment

Originally posted by Vandy View Post
                      Better safe than sorry, especially with an eye. I've made unneccessary vet calls more than once, and when the bill comes, I try to remind myself that it would have been a lot bigger and a lot worse if the horse had actually been (fill in the blank).

My favorite is not HR...When I was in younger, I had a pet rabbit. My mom noticed one day that there was a strange new swelling between her hind legs. Mom pointed it out to me, and I freaked out - it was like this huge tumor that suddenly appeared out of nowhere. Of course, it was on a weekend, and I made dozens of calls before I found a vet that would see a rabbit emergency. Vet asked on the phone if I was sure the rabbit was a female and politely suggested that the swelling might be testicles. I laughed and said, I know testicles when I see them, it's a female rabbit, and she has a giant tumor. It must be painful because she doesn't want me to touch it.

So I brought the rabbit to the vet, and guess what? Diagnosis: Testicles. Apparently rabbits are not easy to sex when they are young, and the testicles can sometimes take more than a year to drop. $200 to find out my rabbit had testicles. No matter what kind of silly equine vet call I make, I don't think I can ever top that one.
                      I'm sorry, but that just made me laugh so much. I wonder what on earth the vet wrote down for his report? "Female rabbit had a bad case of testicles?"
                      Tell a Gelding. Ask a Stallion. Discuss it with a Mare... Pray if it's a Pony!

Comment

Waiting until an injury/illness has either really deteriorated or has become low-grade/chronic can end up costing way more to diagnose and treat than something acute. 'Right now!!!' may be over the top for a lot of vet emergency calls but sooner is usually better than later.
                        Don't beat yourself up. (And most vets I know with $$$$ started out with $$$ behind them..it's not that lucrative )
                        * <-- RR Certified Gold Star {) <-- RR Golden Croissant Award
                        Training Tip of the Day: If you can’t beat your best competitor, buy his horse.
                        NO! What was the question?

Comment

I once called for a squamous cell cancer or some other kind of skin cancer. The vet came out and picked off a clump of mud. Did I feel dumb????
                          There is no snooze button on a cat that wants breakfast.

Comment

Originally posted by Bank of Dad View Post
                            I once called for a squamous cell cancer or some other kind of skin cancer. The vet came out and picked off a clump of mud. Did I feel dumb????
                            Okay, you win. That cracked me up! Yet I know that you called the vet because you're conscientious.

Comment

Originally posted by Bank of Dad View Post
                              Having just gotten back from hauling my horse to the vet, this made my day.

Thanks!

Eileen
                              Mad Mare™ Studio
                              Custom Swarovski®, Czech glass and gemstone browbands in Circlet, Diadem and Tiara styles. Matching stock pins, bracelets and belts.
                              http://MadMare.com

Comment

I tell my clients never let the sun set on a bad eye (as well as a few other maladies).

You were correct to call

Comment

It is always better to call a vet for something suspicious that turns out to be "nothing" than to delay and have it turn into an emergency.

My best "false alarm", though, comes from my sister's and my first pony ( a leased 16 yo former show hunter mare), Jilly.

We had her for a year, proving to our (non-horsey) parents that we really would do the work to look after a horse, and we weren't going to lose interest.

So the next step was to buy a second horse, Rocket, a gelding, for me, in the autumn.

Shortly thereafter, Jilly have some strangee syptoms that my mother was sure was a serious kidney problem, and she called the vet.

When he got there, before he even looked at Jilly, he asked my mother to describe the symptoms-

Frequent urination of small amounts
                                  Appearing to strain when urinating
                                  Bucking if, when mounted, we put our hands behind the saddle
                                  Pinning her ears and acting as if in pain
                                  etc.

He sat there on a hay bale, while my mother described the symptoms, with a slight smile on his fence. My mother was feeling very annoyed- our pony appeared to be seriously ill, and the vet was sitting there smiling.

Finally, she finished, and he said:
                                  "Mrs. Gunn, you have just described ALL the symptoms of a mare in heat."

She was SOOO embarrassed.

It had never happened in the previous ear, but was apparently trigered by Rocket's arrival.
                                  Janet

chief feeder and mucker for Music, Spy, Belle and Tiara. Someone else is now feeding and mucking for Chief and Brain (both foxhunting now).

Comment

I would've called the vet for that too. Eyes are nothing to mess about with.

(Says the woman who just hauled her horse to the vets for more antibiotic cream for a weepy eye.)

Hope your toe isn't too sore!
                                    Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

When in doubt - call the vet.

Having said that.... many years ago, in a boarding barn, far far away, a great adventure took place.

It was a dark and effing cold night. Middle of winter - everything frozen - all we want to do is go home. But we go to the barn, make sure our horses have plenty of hay and warm water and are comfortable in their stalls.

Friends mare will NOT move. Mare is in her stall, looking freaked out. Rapid, shallow breathing. She won't let us touch her, but she won't walk. Any time she tries to take a step she stops - hoof in mid-air, eyes get as wide as saucers - and she puts her hoof down gingerly.

Well - what does one do but call the vet? Mare looks like she's about to die standing up because she's afraid to lay down and die!!!!

Vet gets there. We're standing outside the mare's stall with the door open - just clucking like a couple of old hens. Please Mr. Vet - save this mare!!!

Vet stands there, looking at the mare. Arms folded. We stare at him. Then we stare at the mare. We cluck a little more.

Finally the vet arrives at a decision.

He pronounces, very loudly and dramatically - and stabs his index finger in the air to punctuate his words......

"I diagnose.................... STATIC CLING!"

Mare was blanketed and the air was very dry and cold.
                                      We didn't realize it but every time she tried to move she got zapped. We couldn't see anything, we couldn't hear anything - but zap zap zap.

True story.
                                      Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                      Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                      -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

yep

esp when he looks at me and says "why did you call me out here,again??
                                        Production Acres,Pro A Welsh Cobs
                                        I am one of the last 210,000 remaining full time farmers in America.We feed the others.

Comment

Working...
                                        X