• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Why would Texas be better for me than my beloved Va horse country...

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Why would Texas be better for me than my beloved Va horse country...

You Texans...tell me about why I should move my farm to your state. What are the pros and cons. I've been a devotee to sport horse breeding and training in the heart of the special VA horse country for 23 years, but I'm thinking about moving. Qualified, dependable labor is scarce if not inexistent in the last 10 years. While I'm still very much an oasis...the urban sprawl has changed the landscape (though not for me) but I've lost the rural feeling. Neighbors are abusive and don't care for the land and lifestyle with their McMansions.

So, tell me, which part is the best part of the state to raise sporthorses, pursue the training and marketing for the dressage and jumper market, and enjoy rural life with a horse business once again. I'm single, self-employed (beyond the horses and can keep that business going regardless of where I live)...and 57.

Both of my sisters have been trying to get me to TX for years as they say it would be easier for me as people want to work and are more entrepeureal in nature. That's the LAST thing I'm seeing now that D.C. suburbia and that mentality as eaten away what I adored about my farm on what was then on the "outskirts".

Thanks.
    www.littlebullrun@aol.com See Little Bull Run's stallions at:
    "Argosy" - YouTube and "Boleem" - YouTube
    Boleem @ 1993 National Dressage Symposium - YouTube

Originally posted by sid View Post
    So, tell me, which part is the best part of the state to raise sporthorses, pursue the training and marketing for the dressage and jumper market, and enjoy rural life with a horse business once again. I'm single, self-employed (beyond the horses and can keep that business going regardless of where I live)...and 57.
    Best part for sporthorses would be around the Dallas/Ft.Worth area or Houston area (oh but the humidity ). Pin Oak is a huge h/j show in Houston as are a few of the dressage shows and Dallas has some nice h/j trainers.

Wherever you end up be prepared to DRIVE everywhere!!!! A 4 or 5 hour haul to shows is the norm around here. Honestly if breeding and raising sporthorses/ jumpers was my business, Texas would be one of the last places I would move. I am a born and raised Texan but can tell you honestly, english horses are not as popular as they are out east. We have some very fancy english horses and some super nice barns but you are more likely to find reiners and cutters or rodeo horses. I lived out on the east coast for 5 years so I speak from experience.

I love Texas but if I was going to try to make a living with eventing horses I would be on the fastest highway out of here.
    RIP Kid Gloves (Holly) 1992 TBxHanv CCI*** mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/holly
    New mare: Miss Bunny Express (Missy) 1995 AQHA Jumper mare.
    http://photobucket.com/tx3dayeventer/missy

Comment

I'll be no help to you at all but I did live in Texas for a year as a child and have shown extensively in VA. I have to say it. You're CRAZY to leave VA!

I'll never forget being terrified to walk outside because of the tarantulas and scorpions. . I love VA though (depsite the ticks!).

Comment

sid -

Not really horse related but the most recent issue of The Economist had a huge article on Texas. Very interesting article on how well the state is run, addressed tax issues, housing, zoning, growth, etc.

Here it is:

http://www.economist.com/opinion/dis...ry_id=13990207

ETA: When I was a kid we could ride all day around the Catharpin area - hacked over farms, over to the battlefield and back to my friends farm.

That's all gone now.

My area is in the crosshairs next. Was hoping to stay here but I think we'll be forced out eventually.
        Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
        Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
        -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Worrying about scorpions and tarantulas depends on where in Texas you go...

So the cons (to get them out of the way): HEAT, drought (most of the state is in severe drought right now), driving (everything is spread out), snakes, higher property taxes

Pros: cost of living, lack of state income tax, availability of land (especially if you don't have to be in/near big city), short winters (yay!), bluebonnets, friendly people and beautiful country

I'm becoming a fan of central Texas. We live outside of Lorena (near Waco). So far, I haven't seen tarantulas or scorpions (knock on wood) and the humidity has been nothing after Houston's horrid humidity. We have had a couple of non-poisonous snakes (I hate snakes) but almost no fire ants. I don' t know the horse scene as we've only been there almost two months - I'm looking for a dressage instructor now.
          Visit us at Bluebonnet Equine Humane Society - www.bluebonnetequine.org

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

• Original Poster

What about the Hill Country...Wemberly? I was there for a few days for my nephew's wedding. It was lovely.

The thing I can't get over is that Texans call the Hill Country "green" and and "hilly". Nothing lush in greens and hilly about it like here in VA...it looked stark and barren to me.

How does one feed horses in such barren, hot land..the costs, the hay. I'm a huge forage feeder.

BTW, I'm not so worried about getting to shows. I know TX is a huge state compare to VA. My sisters in in Houston and I know that drive from downtown to the Woodlands.

I'm more concerned about clients being able to get to me for training/riding in a reasonable time and having enough of a horse-riding population with interest in the Olympic sports to make it worth their while.

Thanks again!

Comment

Well I would not leave Virginia for Texas, but if you must.....
              For Houston area I would say Woodlands area and north of that. Remember we have hurricanes.
              I don't know about Dallas.
              Central Texas has possibilities. Check out "central texas sporthorses breeders".
              College Station has Texas A&M - ie vet school. Brenham and Chappell Hill close by there.
              I am trying to think of any part of Texas that would compare to Virginia- perhaps east Texas - but it is not exactly "civilized".
              The Wimberly area is nice - the rivers etc - not sure that area is horsey.
              I will do some more thinking about this ie if I were you where would I want to live in Texas. It is 100 deg here and hard to think.

Comment

I don't live in Texas, but I've visited there a couple of times. I thought there were areas of it that were very beautiful, but on a personal level, I absolutely could NEVER tolerate that kind of humidity. I still remember getting off the plane near midnight in Houston and feeling like I physically "hit" the air -- it was that thick. Gross.

I am VERY spoiled by the lovely air I enjoy here in the Pacific Northwest, so I found the air there to be HIGHLY objectionable. It seemed like wet, warm air that had been breathed by someone else already!

I did think that the "hill country" was beautiful, though since I live where there are MOUNTAINS, the "hills" were relatively unimpressive. I also thought the area around Brenham was especially pretty. Lots of GRASS everywhere -- it looked like good cattle country to me!

I have been friends with a number of Texas residents, and I think the constant droughts make hay tough to find, and rather high priced, at times. Not to mention, fire ants, hurricanes, HOT summers, etc.
                Family Partners Welsh Ponies - Home of Section B Welsh stallion *Wedderlie Mardi Gras LOM/AOE http://www.welshponies.com
                Click here to buy: A Guide To In Hand Showing of Your Welsh Pony

Comment

• Original Poster

Greyarabs...we get those 90 degree + days here too as well. We also can have oppressive humidity.

I think I'm worrying more about the horses than me. They DO acclimate to the weather if it stays stable enough. If your'e going to be hot humid then make it for a long time, they acclimate. If you're in northen WI, same thing. Long cold winters, they adapt to.

Here in VA we can go from 75 degrees on a March day, then 10 below a few days later. They have to adapt to extreme temperature fluxuations in a single day during Spring and Fall. At least TX and way up north, the fluctuations don't change very few days..or in some cases every few hours

As most know, WB's are more heavily muscled and don't dissipate heat very well. So that is a concern (to be able to ride and work them productively during the summer months).

Scorpions and fireants...no problem. We have copperheads and water moccacins up here. We are also so lush that we often have Fall weed poisonings. That part, I'm not concerned about.

I need to have access to top knotch vets and a surgical facility..I'm a health and preventative care nut.

I guess I may give up the summer in the Houston area, but then again, I'll have the winter which is mud and crappy and ofen icy here.

Tell more. BTW, I love Texans and their attitude about life. Very different than suburban Washington. And that counts for something as far as my mental health..

Comment

• Original Poster

I've heard the that PNW is wonderful...but I don't know anyone there.

Plus I have the haul my Mom who has advanced dementia with me and find the care she needs (very specialized..not the normal "assisted living").

In Houston, at least my sis's are there to help me with her, so the weather my be a trade off in my situation.

Comment

I have a friend with a 120 acre spread in east texas near Paris. It's gorgeous with rolling hills and trees -- and the grass is very lush. The downside is that it isn't a very populated area, so it would be difficult to find the type of clients you want (show clients). She is into breeding, but it is still difficult to get people out to see her youngstock.
                      * Sunny * Ella (2006 filly) * Tank (2008 colt)*

Comment

Do your sisters hate you?

So what did you do to your sisters when you were little that they want to get back at you for? Texas is ok, but VA is wonderful. Unless you just need an income tax break,or want to be with your family, why leave? There is no tradition of fox hunting or timber racing here at all, so you don't have much of a culture of riding English. The only time the weather is nice is in the winter, and some winters are so rainy it's as difficult as snow. The only place you really get "green" is Houston - Woodlands and north and the smaller east Texas Piney Woods towns. Everything else is shades of low brush and brown most of the time.

Peter Pletcher is in Houston, Russel Frey is in Dallas, and that's sort of it for the H/J nationally recognized crowd. There are some dressage trainers here, but I'm not sure any of them are nationally recognized.

There definitely is a basic "no problem, let's get 'er done" attitude in Texas, but it's also in Charlotte, NC and Charleston, SC from my experience. Is there some other part of Virginia or North Carolina that appeals to you? It would be much less of a shock to your psyche to stay East.

Comment

Other than $$$, I can't see how it could be better.

Comment

Ask Donna Ray. She's in Texas. She posts here a bit, is a breeder, and is very interested in dressage. I'm sure she'd be happy to talk to you about this!

http://www.carson-farm.com/html/about_us.html
                            Kendra -- Runningwater Warmbloods
                            Home of EM Raleska (Rascalino/ Warkant) and Donatella M (Furstenball/ Jazz Time)
                            'Like' us on Facebook

Comment

What about the Hill Country...Wemberly? I was there for a few days for my nephew's wedding. It was lovely.
                              It is gorgeous - I love Fredericksburg, Kerrville, etc. More prone to rattlesnakes and scorpions. And I don't know about the horse scene out there.

How does one feed horses in such barren, hot land..the costs, the hay. I'm a huge forage feeder.
                              Hay year round. In Alvin (south of Houston), I had 5-7 horses on about 3 acres and had grass. BUt we had tons of rain and I kept the horses off the grass all night and didn't have all of them out every day. I heavily managed my place.

Now in Waco area we're under a drought, and I'm in the process of buying my first round bales. The good news this year is that you can find hay in other parts of the state, and if you are willing to buy a full semi load (34-38 acres), then you can get it delivered. (Or split it with someone like I did).

I'm more concerned about clients being able to get to me for training/riding in a reasonable time and having enough of a horse-riding population with interest in the Olympic sports to make it worth their while.
                              I think people in Texas are more used to driving, so if you are good (I don't know you - so that wasn't a snotty comment!), promote yourself, etc., then people will haul to your place.

As far as Olympic type sports - when I was a grad. student, I knew a lot of undergrads in College Station who were into eventing and some who did dressage. Look up the dressage groups (Houston Dressage Society is one) and the eventing groups in Texas and check them out.

And if you end up near Waco, maybe I'll sign up as a client. (Depending on whether or not I can convince my husband to haul my horse out for lessons).

Want to get involved in rescue or start your own? Check out How to Start a Horse Rescue - www.howtostartarescue.com

Comment

I think I'm worrying more about the horses than me. They DO acclimate to the weather if it stays stable enough. If your'e going to be hot humid then make it for a long time, they acclimate. If you're in northen WI, same thing. Long cold winters, they adapt to.

Here in VA we can go from 75 degrees on a March day, then 10 below a few days later. They have to adapt to extreme temperature fluxuations in a single day during Spring and Fall. At least TX and way up north, the fluctuations don't change very few days..or in some cases every few hours
                                In the fall and winter when the cold fronts come through, I have felt the temp. drop from 70 to 50 (or closer to 40) in an instant. The first cold front of the fall always worries me because it is a shock to the system. The temp. changes may not be as extreme as you mentioned, but it isn't uncommon to go from 80 one day to 50 the next and 80 again a few days later.

When we moved back to Texas from MI, we moved in the fall and the horses seemed to adjust just fine. We left MI right before it started to really get chilly but while it was still warm in TX.

I need to have access to top knotch vets and a surgical facility..I'm a health and preventative care nut.
                                Texas has Texas A&M Vet School in College Station. There are other surgical centers (Las Colinas in DFW, Retama in San Antonio and others I'm forgetting).

I'll also HIGHLY urge you to avoid the coast. I know hurricanes don't happen often, but it was awful to turn the corner to my house, look where my barn was and see nothing but some of the upright poles left. And to be out of my house for six months just sucked. I am NOT going to miss that now that we're off the coast. If you go for Houston, go for the north side.

Comment

I am a native Texan and just moved (about a year ago) to New Hampshire. I can't believe I waited this long. The horse scene in Texas is rough, especially for sport horses. Now, if you were into stock horses, that would be a different story. The weather is atrocious, a lot of horsemanship is "rough around the edges", and you have to drive 3 hours to get to a single event. Most events are 8 hours away.

Every poisonous snake found in North America lives there, in addition to tarantulas and scorpions. You may get hay year round, but it's all coastal bermuda grass. Plus, they are still in the middle of a 7 year drought. Some places around Austin have not seen rain since May. And the summer is not half over yet.

And talk about suburban sprawl. Have you ever heard of Plano? Scariest.Place.On.Earth. Invented the McMansion and Soccer Mom in the Excursion and the strip mall. Wowsers.

You could not pay me enough money to move back. And the New England winters are not a cakewalk, but I will take them over Texas summers every year and be thankful.

Good luck.

[Just my opinion though! I am sure it'll be lovely! ]

Comment

• Original Poster

Guess I won't go to Texas. I wish I could get my family to move here....

Maybe I'll head to southwest VA. I just love this state. But I'm fed up with NoVa, the people and attitude and lack of farm type people here anymore... even though I used to be "country".

I love the Lexington area. I'll ponder. But you've all convinced me that Texas is not the place to go with my crew, including my 3 stallions, who love life just the way it is here.... Gotta think about the boys as well.

Comment

Not so fast...................................

Not a native Texan, but I got here as fast as I could.

I realize wookiee's perspective may be more valid than mine, being a native and all, but I love Texas and think you'd probably be very happy here.

Want hills? Go toward Austin. Want coast? Down to Corpus and South Padre. Want rolling hills and pine trees? Go up northeast to Pittsburg, Bettie, Gilmer - all within a stone's throw of Texarkana, and about a five hour drive from Houston. I'd give a lot to be able to live there. Land prices are low, as are taxes, and as I said, it's very beautiful and temperate. GREAT horse country, and there are plenty there. Plus, it's not a bad jumping off point for other equestrian venues. As I said, Houston is 5 1/2 hours away, and there's a brand new show facility that was built in Tyler (about three hours from the area I'm speaking of) that is absolutely stunning, or so I'm told. All the hunter princesses think it's grand, so it must be up to snuff.

Come on down! You'll love it here.
                                      In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                                      A life lived by example, done too soon.
                                      www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

Sid-If you mean Lexington, KY I say go for it, and I think that about half of the COTH members have moved there, dream of moving there, or would kill to move there. I haven't spent much time there, but there is so much horsie stuff around the state that it's hard to beat.

A friend who was into showing dogs, and agility and his wife looked at the best places to retire that were centrally located in the U.S. for going to the most activities within a day's travel and decided that the Land Between the Lakes region was for them, because they also wanted to be around water so they decided that either the lake or around Lexington was perfect. I think the same criteria and the English slant of the state's horse scene would make the Lexington area perfect for you, and the distance to the KHP and the other great venues within a day's drive would make it perfect for your needs, especially if you need great transportation to market your stallions. And the climate should be fairly close to the seasons that you have where you are now.

I really think that when you look at the available properties in the areas you are interested in that your heart will tell you where your new home is going to be. No place is perfect, but you can come very close to what you really want if you do lots of research first. Good Luck.
                                        Last edited by JanM; Jul. 16, 2009, 07:55 AM.
                                        You can't fix stupid-Ron White

Comment

Working...
                                        X