Stallion Spotlight

Zucchero Gold - Wandres, Frederic - 838-BC18_REU2723-foto_reumann

Real Estate Spotlight

DSC_0001
  • Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 5/9/18)
See more
See less

$500 just to look? WTF?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• $500 just to look? WTF?

The following is from the webpage for a seller of 'sport horses and ponies'.
    If I am reading this correctly, you have t shell out $500 to actually look a any horse in person even if you don't buy it? WTF???

"Our main level of pricing is for Internet Sales. The majority of our horses are sold through this type of sale and, in fact, this is what we prefer. If you'd like an Internet price quote for a specific horse, please send us an e-mail and request one. If you select to purchase through an Internet sale, a visit to our farm to "select" a horse is not included in the transaction. An Internet sale is exactly what the name says....sale of a horse over the internet, relying on pictures and an exchange of information. Our other pricing mechanism is for Farm Sales. Prices for Farm Sales are reflected on our Sales and Price lists.
    A Farm Sale allows our customers to come to our farm, view or try several horses, and then make their seletion. Since we have horses in several locations, Farm Sales require that we transport horses to our main farm for viewing. They also require us to have a rider available to show whatever horses you select.
    ALL Farm Sales require a $500 nonrefundable deposit that will be applied to the purchase price of the horse you select. The deposit must be made via wire transfer prior to your visit or by personal check received at least 10 days in advance and while nonrefundable, the deposit is fully applicable to the purchase of a horse for up to one year.:"

Uh huh! Rrrrrrriiiiiiggghhhhttttt.
    Honey badger don't give a sh!t.

Comment

Holey SHEET they think the'r horses are something, don't they? I have never heard of such arrogance! And not to mention bad business practice! So are they wanting you to buy from a photo ad online ONLY? And if you come see the horse you are interestd in you must pay $500 for a test ride? NOBODYS horses are worth that hassle. There are too many out there for sale by reasonable normal people who will bend over backwards to make shopping a pleasant experience. That's what it takes to build a reputation!
      Please tell us where this site is!Or at least PM it to me.......
      SPAY/NEUTER/RESCUE/ADOPT!
      Little Star Chihuahua Rescue
      The Barkalicious Bakery
      On Facebook!!!

Comment

My reply to this form of extortion: BITE ME.

What if you come to the farm to look, pay the NONREFUNDABLE deposit, and dcide that none of their horses are for you? I mean, you may not click with any of them!

Total BS, IMO.
        ~ Shannon Hayden ~

Comment

I'd be looking elsewhere.

No offense to those of you in the breeding/sales business, but this just sounds like the sellers can't be bothered with the "inconvenience" of actually having to sell a horse in person, and they're going to charge potential buyers who actually think they might want to buy a horse from them and actually see the "real, live horse" an "inconvenience fee". It takes far less effort to take a few pix and post them on the internet, than to actually sell a horse.

I'm guessing that these aren't cheap horses. As I said, I'd pass.

Comment

That sounds brilliant, you would eliminate all the tire kickers. It would cover the costs of transporting horses into a location to be shown and pay for the pro who rides them. It sounds pretty straight forward to me though I wonder what would happen if a horse that was selected had an unfavorable PP. It is an interesting idea and if their stock is flying off the shelves so to speak, I suppose they can have any policy they like.

Comment

HAHAHAHA! No really, that can't possibly be real, right?

Either they're exceptionally stupid and arrogant, or it's a scam website. I'm leaning toward scam, since no one in their right mind (or left) would pay a non-refundable $500.00 just to see a horse.
              Homeopathy claims water can cure you since it once held medicine. That's like saying you can get sustenance from an empty plate because it once held food.

Comment

Unbelievable!!! We have sold our share of horses through the internet, but I care deeply about my horses and want to meet their prospective buyers. In fact, if I don't think it's a good match I will say so even if I loose a sale. The horse and owner need to make a connection. I recently sold a yearling via internet, pictures, DVDs etc.... the buyer was very far away. By the time the transaction went through I felt I really knew this person even though I never met them in person. To me it doesn't matter how you sell, but you should make sure the home is the right one. Charging extra fees is a total put off, and tells me these people don't care about their horses, they only care about the money!
                www.lazyjsporthorses.com

Comment

I'm guessing not many get sold! At least to someone who wants to ride them themselves! If I'm buying a horse "I" want to ride it and I can go to the farm where it is located thank you very much, so can the owner, how FAR can it be? And who cares anyway? If that is where they keep them that is where I'll go see it.

Anyone who thinks anyone with a lick of sense will pay $500 to SEE your horse and watch someone ride it is most definitely a dreamer.
                  Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

Originally posted by Wanderluster
                    That sounds brilliant, you would eliminate all the tire kickers. It would cover the costs of transporting horses into a location to be shown and pay for the pro who rides them. It sounds pretty straight forward to me though I wonder what would happen if a horse that was selected had an unfavorable PP. It is an interesting idea and if their stock is flying off the shelves so to speak, I suppose they can have any policy they like.
                    Yeah....and what would it cost to have a vet come in to do a PPE on a horse you're interested in?!? I can only imagine the fee they'll charge for that!!!! Oh wait...let me guess...you have to use their vet.
                    Honey badger don't give a sh!t.

Comment

Dying to see the website! Links! Links!

Comment

Wanderluster, do you know these people? I can't imagine your point of view unless they are your friends. I don't know a single BNT who'd ask for up-front money to show one of their horses to a prospective buyer!
                        The Barkalicious Bakery
                        On Facebook!!!

Comment

This is brilliant and I am going to adopt it immediately. However, I will have a graduated fee. A $50 deposit to just set foot on my property and look at the horse, $75 to touch the horse, $150 to see the horse ridden, $250 for you to ride the horse. Now a PPE (who wants to BOTHER with that little annoyance) -- okay, that's worth $500.
                          Where Norwegian Fjords Rule
                          http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

OP, could you post a link. Obviously if this policy is stated on their website, it is not intended to be top secret info. I'm curious what broker is using this method.

It would seem to me that if you are selling something, the costs of marketing it are something you must bear. Passing such business costs along in so flagrant a manner (even to charge non buyers!) seems like poor business practice. IMO, if you are selling anything, there are costs and you should set prices accordingly.
                            F O.B
                            Resident racing historian ~~~ Re-riders Clique
                            Founder of the Mighty Thoroughbred Clique

Comment

Guessing they haven't been in the business of selling horses for very long. It would be interesting to see what their policies are like two years from now.
                              Comprehensive Equestrian Site Planning and Facility Design
                              www.lynnlongplanninganddesign.com

Comment

This has GOT to be off of one of those goofy sim sites, right? Too funny!

And I, too, want to see the site it came from! I can't wait to see what type of horses command sulch a policy. Oh, wait! I know what it is! It's a magikyl gypsy site!
                                My Photo Albums

Comment

Here is the link, folks. I can hardly believe how arrogant and rude these people are!!!!
                                  http://www.virginiasporthorses.com/p...1db7539f15bdd8
                                  The Barkalicious Bakery
                                  On Facebook!!!

Comment

Since they want a wire transfer, A cashier's check for 1000$ would be out of the question?

Comment

• Original Poster

Here ya go

www.virginiasporthorses.com

I don;t think it is a 'scam'. They claim they have sold "hundreds" of horses. My guess is alot of these are coming from PMU farms in Canada.

I have no problem having to put up some $$, but non-refundable?

I question the ethics of this: anyone selleing horses should, for the good of all concerned, try to make the best possible match between horse and buyer. How can you do this if you actively discourage people from meeting and riding the prospects?

Comment

I'm wondering about the horses "in Canada"....could they be coming from a PMU farm or auction???? Methinks possibly....most are babies, all draft crosses.....and with an added $550 for shipping. I smell something.
                                        The Barkalicious Bakery
                                        On Facebook!!!

Comment

Working...
                                        X