• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Threats you make to your horse, perferably funny/sarcastic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

When my mare tries to get out of lateral work by cantering and being generally wiggly:

"I'm going to sell you to a 12-year-old girl who will make you run barrels and poles."

Comment

Oh, my other favorite, said to bucking/rearing/spinning/whatever horse: "You really DON'T want me off your back...."

I only had to prove this to my TB a couple of times - I jumped off (when it became obvious that I was coming off one way or the other ) and yelled and waved my arms and generally made him think he was about to die. Then I got back on and proceded calmly with work. He learned that he really, really DOESN'T want me off until I'M ready to get off.
      Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

My favorite: "I brought you into this world. I can take you out again!" (She's a homebred).

I once threatened to turn a TB named Fancy That in to cat food because she wasn't good enough to be dog food. (Her barn nickname became Fancy Feast).

Comment

I threaten mine with being sold to a beginner lesson program.

Comment

when my horse runs well actually walks just fast enough that i cant catch him in the field i just say FINE BE THAT WAY and walk towards the gate. then he slowly starts to follow me like ohh she's mad now.
            "Riding a horse is not a hobby to be picked up & laid down, it is a grand passion. It seizes a person whole & once it has done so, he will have to accept his life will be radically changed." - RWE

Comment

well...

When I'm fed up with mine, I say "Don't make me beat you!" My farrier says, "yeah right." I was at another farm getting ready for a lesson one time and my mare kept pawing in the wash stall. After telling her to quit about 3 times just to have her immediately restart each time, I told her "don't make me beat you!" She stopped immediately and didn't restart. I turned to the instructor in horror and said "I don't beat her, really!" Instructor just laughed.
              Whatever you can do, or dream you can, begin it. Boldness has genius, power, and magic in it. Goethe

Comment

Our fat little pony got into some chick feed yesterday, which of course resulted in an emergency vet call. I told him he's going to have to do pony rides at birthday parties all summer to pay off that bill.

Comment

Well, MY horses are all perfect so I, of course, never have to threaten them!

(erm, well, okay, every now and then it's possible that they might be bad. I'm partial to "You do NOT want me to have to come over there!" when Brandy is trying to dig to China while I clean her stall and my husband had the classic line to Sera-whom he does NOT get along with-one night when coming home from a brutal but unsuccessful day of archery hunting "you know Horse, you're bigger than an elk, closer to the freezer, and it would cost less to eat you than feed you" Cracked me up since I know he'd never do it. The funny thing was that Sera didn't try to run him over for a good week after that!)
                  My Photo Albums

Comment

Ah, there are many, but I think my favorite was the one Mr. 17handtb - the non-horsey person - threatened the Big Red Golden Retriever with when BRGR would not stop trying to eat his jacket sleeve:

"Hey, buddy. I'm warning ya. You. Me. Breeders Cup 2007. It WILL happen. And I'm gonna ride ya there, too."

Comment

A friend of mine used to threaten mine with "Don't make me call Bill Cosby. You know he loves Jello."

Comment

To my little yearling colt it's "You know those poor slobs known as geldings? You know how quickly you can join them?"
                        For Stormy it's "You think you have problems now? Wait until I sell you. THEN you'll have problems" (as he's pretty damn lame)
                        For Arion and his little terrible two stage "Does it look like your pissy fit is getting to me? Remember, you bite me, I bite harder."
                        In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Comment

After the show in which the stallion I ride ran over the judge, I threatened to never let him breed again. He must have understood because he was a complete angel at the next one.

Comment

I threaten mine with if you don't behave I'm going to advertise you FREE to a BAD home"!
                            Of course it strikes terror into their hearts and they immediately behave. NOT!
                            Save lives! Adopt a pet from your local shelter.

Comment

Originally posted by Kementari
                              Oh, my other favorite, said to bucking/rearing/spinning/whatever horse: "You really DON'T want me off your back...."
                              Oh yea, I'm good for the "If you get me off your back, you better make damn sure I can't get up..." [this is also good for kick me/bite me]

And for any potential escapees heading down the driveway "If you go down that driveway, you better make damn sure you find a good home!'
                              Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

These are great!

I just threaten to sell them all to the soap factory.

I'm also known to yell at them "don't make me beat you" which of course terryfies them into immediate submission (yeah right)

Comment

I have always threatened mine with "You COULD be pulling a cart around Downtown and actually EARN your keep!"

And "Its a good thing your cute!" Oh, no, thats the husband, er uhm and the horse and the dog....
                                  "Shoot low Sheriff! She rides a fast pony!"

Comment

"Saddlebreds look lovely in harness. They worked all day long on plantations way before they went into the show ring. And, sweetheart, your breeding has more working lines than show lines. And we have a big field out back. And gas for the tractor is expensive. Think it over."
                                    The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlive it -- William James

Comment

Not such a big threat to any other horse, perhaps. I simply remind him where his Peep Source comes from. Hence his willing, amiable nature.
                                      www.specialhorses.org
                                      a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

'I will trade you in for a polo pony!' (Haha, very threatening, I know.)

'I will kick you back!'

*Snaps teeth when bitten at*
                                        <><

Comment

To Quest, who i swear understands english... 'You're not too cute to shoot!!'

To Lilly, the retired one. 'You know how easily I can bring you back into work?'

Just thought of another one I use: 'Just cause I bought you dosn't mean I have to keep you..'
                                          Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

Working...
                                          X