• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Threats you make to your horse, perferably funny/sarcastic

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Ah, Riva, maybe reinforce your verbal threat with pictures-- Amish buggies, video clips from the PharLap movie where horse is heavily trained...?

Comment

"I swear to God, If you don't stop, I WILL beat you!!" at which point everyone around me laughs, because they know I would never do it, but the gelding gets the look of fear in his eyes, and quits whatever he was doing.
      A friend of mine still reminds me of one time I was threatening my TB mare, who was a handfull and a drama queen. "I'm gonna beat the living sh** out of ....oh my God, you poor baby! look at that cut on your leg!" The mare, who had not yet noticed she was injured, looked down, saw the blood, and practically swooned!

Comment

All of these are good.... made me laugh.

Mine's basic and similar to SidsMom.

"I'm gonna beat you!" It's universal.... I say it to my dogs too.

Stitch just looks at me for a second.... and then stops doing whatever it was that was annoying me.

The dogs put their ears back and give me the most pathetic look on the planet.

Now of course, I've never beat them.... ever.

Comment

I borrow from Bill Cosby: I'M GONNA BEAT YOU TILL YOU WON'T GROW NO MORE. Granted, she's already grown but the point gets across.

Yes, all is said/growled/yelled in jest. Of course, this is threat is only directed toward The Queen, Penny.

Tank never needs yelling at...she's perfect.
          <>< Sorrow Looks Back. Worry Looks Around. Faith Looks Up! -- Being negative only makes a difficult journey more difficult. You may be given a cactus, but you don't have to sit on it.

Comment

"I'm going to untack you and turn you out on _____________ road."

or

"I'm going to untack you and leave you here (at whatever show venue)."
            Amanda

Comment

Once told to my WB mare: "Keep it up, and I'll make you a broodmare."
              It dawned on me later, that's not much of a threat since she adores babies, children, cats, dogs... anything small and cute.
              "I did know once, only I've sort of forgotten." - Winnie the Pooh

Comment

I've been known to suggest to my horse that he CAN experience dinner in Belgium...and not as a guest.

Comment

Lukes main annoyance to me is masturbating. A lot. Hes a GELDING...and we've got a barn full of kids. Makes for much awkwardness, so he gets "RELAX THAT THING OR I'M GOING TO TAPE IT BACK IN!"

Comment

The house next door to the farm where I boarded my high-strung TWH was owned by a Peruvian family. A couple of times a year they have big festivals with music and a pit pig-roast. I once decided to ride Idiot Boy during one of these events. He hadn't been ridden in awhile and behaved predictably idiotic, spinning and threatening to rear and generally being a jerk. At one point we passing by the pig-roast pit, and I told Cy he'd end up as Peruvian Barbeque if he didn't straighten up. 'Peruvian Barbeque' soon became my standard threat of choice.

Comment

To the horses that are broke to ride but never are- "You CAN be ridden!"

To the horses that were broke to ride by an Amishman- "I'll send you back to be Amished." Although that's not much of a threat- they actually liked it there!

To the stallion that rears up in his stall (before I get a lead on) when he knows we're going to breed- "Quit or you won't get any." Same stallion when he thinks about not listening or attempts to rush the mare- "I'll put you back in your stall." These are NOT idle threats, and he knows it.

Comment

My horse was freaking out over a small pile of sticks on the ground so I shouted, "I'm going to jump off you and beat you with those @$%%*ing sticks if you don't settle down!"
                        I jumped off and he proceeded to pull back and was out of there, I never did get to hit him with those sticks
                        http://lessismore17.blogspot.com/

Comment

When she really makes me angry I tell her I'm calling the dead meat truck to come and get her. As usual, she just ignores me.
                          One pair of good hands is better than having a thousand different bits.

Comment

When Murphy was younger and a real PITA (daily basis) I used to shout "If I had a gun I'd shoot you!". Then one day the BO's little boy asked me if I'd play with him. He told me that I could be Murphy and he would shoot me. I watched what I said after that! These days I just tell Murph that I'll send him to solitary (pasture by himself) if he doesn't behave. He loves his harem of mares so that's quite a threat.
                            Crayola Posse - Pine Green
                            Whinnie Pine (June 4, 1977 - April 29, 2008)
                            Autumn Caper (April 27, 1989 - May 24, 2015)
                            Murphy (April 28, 1994 - May 5, 2017)

Comment

Originally posted by Amchara
                              I have been threatening to blindfold Ami for awhile now. Theoretically, if she was blindfolded, she really wouldn't need to look where she was going so she would bend very well. In reality, she'd freak, rear, walk backwards, and we'd go off of a cliffe.

Also the "I'm going to sell you!" When she won't let me catch her.

What threats do you make?
                              "Back to the track!!!!"

or

"Off to the AMISH!"
                              "Truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but, in the end, there it is." Sir Winston Churchhill

Comment

Used to tell my old guy, Fudgeman, that I was gonna call 1-800-Alpo. Continually asked him if he wasn't part mule and got the short end of the stock in the ears department. Finally just resorted to bribery.

Comment

We are about an hour away from Unadilla where they have an auction every other week...so a standard threat is that they'll get dropped off there and tied to the mailbox, the next sale is never more than 13 days away...usually it just gets shortened down to muttering "13 days you know..." at them.

Another at shows is "do you want everyone on the show grounds to know your name?"...to get the attention of a horse my trainer tends to kind of growl their names at them...usually snaps them right back into place!
                                  The best little horse show series around! www.WinningWeekends.com

Comment

I tell my 4 yr old welsh cob that it is not the trolls in the bushes that are going to get him it's the troll on his back that better be paying attention to.

He is also like the girl with the curl in the middle of her forhead. When he is good, he is very good and then there are the those bad days when he should of just stayed in bed.

Comment

Wow - I thought I was the only one who did that.

When my horses are naughty - I mutter that I'm going to sell them to the Amish where they'll REALLY work for a living.

Course - I'd never do it but I think there is enough quiet menace in my voice that the horses do as the fat lady asks.

Originally posted by JumpItHighPie
                                      "Back to the track!!!!"

or

"Off to the AMISH!"
                                      Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
                                      Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
                                      -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I've often threatened to change my geldings name from Devin to DeKalb, in honor of the local slaughter house.
                                        He will also occasionally hear that "they will find you where I left you"

Comment

My long time standard is "If you keep this up, you aren't even going to make it to Alpo - it'll be a GENERIC can for you!"

And when they are being supremely annoying, but it's really important I have a "nice" voice because no matter how much I would actually like to hurt them, they are technically improving, I say "oh you are such a horrid little [insert appropriate descriptive swear word here], my goodness I'm gonna just kill you, bit by bit, slowly and painfully and feed you to stray dogs, and I'm going to laugh all the while you useless piece of [insert description of offending animal]"

And in the ongoing lethal threats, I've been known to mention it is perfectly legal to kill a horse as long as I don't make an insurance claim. That usually straightens them right up.
                                          Your crazy is showing. You might want to tuck that back in.

Comment

Working...
                                          X