• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Off Course

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

captive bolt

At least someone is holding the horse while they attempt to "stun" him. that's not what you see in most horse slaughter pictures. Since that horse has his head held he can't move and be shot 3, 4, 5 times and suffer immeasureably. If horse slaughter is going to continue, it should be HUMANE. One shot ONLY. I certainly don't advocate horse slaughter, but as long as it is still being done, let him go down and unconscious on the first shot.

Comment

...And I am pleased that MY COTH dues are going towards providing a forum that doesn't censure discussion on important horse topics for the benefit of those who disagree!!

Nicely said Horseandhound.

SusanP - it would be great if we could work with him to increase the professionalism of the web site and reduce the illegal alien stuff.
      "There's something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

Originally posted by J Swan
        No offense SusanP - but this is a discussion forum. Expect debate or take the slaughter stuff elsewhere.

Personally - I'm getting a bit peeved that part of my COTH subscription dues as well as my premium membership are going towards free advertising for anti-slaughter politics.

As far as this guy goes - yeah - this is one of the reasons I'm more moderate on slaughter than I used to be.

Anti-slaughter folks need to rethink about what they're doing - because I know I'm not the only one getting upset about the slaughter politics taking over so much of this forum. There are plenty of sites and BB's devoted to this issue - if I wanted to hear about it all the time I'd go visit those.

But this - this is part of my subscription to a respected horse publication and as a subscriber - it's starting to annoy me.

So don't read the threads related to slaughter issues. Simple as that. SusanP warned everyone up front. You didn't have to open Pandora's box if you didn't want to. There are many other threads you can read that don't relate to slaughter. We all pay our dues to COTH and are therefore entitled to a voice. You have the entitlement to respond or not respond.

Comment

Originally posted by Susan P
          I hope no one bothers to even write anything in this thread, but I felt I had the right to share this web site, take it for what it is, it needs NO EXPLANATION and you don't even have to agree. If you wish to insult someone please take it to the web site creator and not here. You don't need to say this is great information either, I'm just offering it to those who are interested.

Please don't make another train wreck, those of us who oppose horse slaughter have a right to our opinion and to share articles and web sites too. I would suggest your opinions about this site go to the guest book or whatever this site has to offer instead of starting a fight here.
          If this entire post is not an attempt to censor discussion, I don't know what is.

Luckily, the people of COTH are more than happy to disregard such censorship attempts!
          Proud member of the EDRF

Comment

Being that many of the slaughter threads go on to denigrate the sports and professionals who pay for COTH operations - I don't know that everyone would agree.

I didn't say I minded this topic being on the BB - I mind that it seems to be growing and the answer that "you don't have to read it" isn't really workable when more and more threads are about slaughter. And putting restrictions on threads like - don't respond if you don't agree - well - no way. THAT's not going to fly at all.

Originally posted by horseandhound
            So don't read the threads related to slaughter issues. Simple as that. SusanP warned everyone up front. You didn't have to open Pandora's box if you didn't want to. There are many other threads you can read that don't relate to slaughter. We all pay our dues to COTH and are therefore entitled to a voice. You have the entitlement to respond or not respond.
            Brothers and sisters, I bid you beware
            Of giving your heart to a dog to tear.
            -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Good grief...
              "Truth is incontrovertible, malice may attack it and ignorance may deride it, but, in the end, there it is." Sir Winston Churchhill

Comment

Originally posted by J Swan
                I didn't say I minded this topic being on the BB - I mind that it seems to be growing and the answer that "you don't have to read it" isn't really workable when more and more threads are about slaughter.
                The fact that you mind that the topic is growing on this BB is your issue, not the BBs. Fortunately, COTH allows people to have a reasonable discourse on horse related topics of interest to them. As has been said, if you mind, don't read them. What it seems you really mind, is that the opinion of some on these threads differs from yours. I respect your opinion and your right to contribute those opinions. Please respect my right to express my opinion, and the rights of others who don't agree with you.

BTW, by my count, there were 4 threads in Off Course on horse slaughter issues specifically in the first 100 threads, and none in the first two pages of the other forums. Edited to add: Two other threads are on animal welfare of sales animals at auctions, but do not cover horse slaughter.
                Last edited by JumpingPaints; Jun. 18, 2006, 06:02 PM.
                "There's something about the outside of a horse that is good for the inside of a man" ~ Sir Winston Churchill

Comment

I don't this it's realistic to post links and start threads about this issue, tell people not to read it if they don't want to, or positive feedback only, etc. It's a DISCUSSION board.

That means if you post something - you take your chances.

In actuality - I think it's the reverse. You seem to think I mind that people do not share my opinion. I'm not the one posting about this issue and asking people not comment, or calling people names and part of the problem and monsters,etc. Actually - I start very few threads.

edited to add - on the 1st page of the off course forum - there are 6 threads on auctions/slaughter or related issues.

Originally posted by JumpingPaints
                  The fact that you mind that the topic is growing on this BB is your issue, not the BBs. Fortunately, COTH allows people to have a reasonable discourse on horse related topics of interest to them. As has been said, if you mind, don't read them. What it seems you really mind, is that the opinion of some on these threads differs from yours. I respect your opinion and your right to contribute those opinions. Please respect my right to express my opinion, and the rights of others who don't agree with you.

BTW, by my count, there were 4 threads in Off Course in the first 100 threads, and none in the first two pages of the other forums.
                  -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Thanks for posting that link.

I needed a good laugh...even better than the chinese exercise rider commercial...

Spaceboy with paranoya...that is priceless!

Originally posted by BigMama1
                    Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                    GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Maybe the reason that there are so many slaughter/auction topics right now is that it is a hot topic everywhere that horse admirers congregate? With legislation being hammered out right now, it makes sense that discussions are happening and attests to the nature of our democratic nation; the power of the people to influence our government and laws.

Does it not make sense that the more informed we all become and the more we discuss the topic the more likely a solution to the many issues surrounding slaughter might be found? However many threads it takes to do that, how can that be a bad thing?
                      Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

What's wrong with posting this kind of stuff??. This is life..its reality wether or not you want to see it. The same goes for other animals that are tortured everyday so we can eat our quarter pounders and whatnot. Judgeing by the amount of horse people shocked by the inhumane treatsment of horses, its probably safe to say a fair amount of folks are just as uneducated about what happens to the animals that "give" them pork roasts and the likes. Maybe if more people saw the reality of the situation they'd be less inclined to support such inhumane treatment the next time they head to the supermarket.

Comment

Heck Susan, you had the right to post a link and I'll enjoy my right to respond. I had never seen the site and went to view it. It was almost as refined and informative as the beloved state of Kansas's own 'effin brickbat Fred Phelps & The Westboro Baptist Church website.

In both instances you've gotta love freedom of speech and how folks promote their ideas and illustrate their message.

Comment

I didn't think it was TOO bad, but then I've seen LOTS of gross/gory stuff (used to work for a vet), so you probably can't go by me.

I noticed some of the photos were taken at Dallas Crown, which I understand is a DISGUSTING place. In my research for a speech on horse slaughter, I found articles about DC that even turned MY stomach. It's also mentioned in Gail Eisnitz's shocking expose' book, Slaughterhouse, in which she interviews a former DC employee. Apparently, DC finds it cheaper to pay fines than to fix its problems (environmental contamination, inhumane conditions for the horses, and lack of OSHA standards for the workers).

Of the three equine slaughterhouses still running in the US, Dallas Crown is the one that needs to be closed FIRST.

Comment

Originally posted by friesiandriver
                              What's wrong with posting this kind of stuff??. This is life..its reality wether or not you want to see it. The same goes for other animals that are tortured everyday so we can eat our quarter pounders and whatnot. Judgeing by the amount of horse people shocked by the inhumane treatsment of horses, its probably safe to say a fair amount of folks are just as uneducated about what happens to the animals that "give" them pork roasts and the likes. Maybe if more people saw the reality of the situation they'd be less inclined to support such inhumane treatment the next time they head to the supermarket.
                              so, is that the vegetarian slant? I sure hope that you use nylon driving harnesses .
                              http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...nibbystrot.jpg
                              http://s31.photobucket.com/albums/c3...t=IMGP0754.jpg

Comment

Originally posted by Angela Freda
                                Does it not make sense that the more informed we all become and the more we discuss the topic the more likely a solution to the many issues surrounding slaughter might be found? However many threads it takes to do that, how can that be a bad thing?
                                It does make sense.

But who appointed Susan P and onthebit12000 et al the arbiters? There can be no balanced discussion because no balanced is intended by posting these types of threads.

This stuff is done for shock value. I don't like being manipulated.

Guess what - slaughter of livestock doesn't shock me. I know where my food comes from - and what you see in the grocery store in santized shrink wrap looked exactly like the animals in those videos.

Same with your leather bridle, same with your tennis shoes.

So puhleeze - if you must be against horse slaughter - get a real education. Learn about animal husbandry and agriculture in the US, the industries surrounding crop production, how livestock is handled, what those standards are, etc.

Because the "shock" videos don't tell the whole story. You're never going to receive an education from people who will allow only one side of the story to be told.
                                -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

You can call it whatever you'd like..I just find it somewhat hypocritical that tonnes of people get bent out of shape when they see horses being treated like this and yet done seem to think twice about supporting the exact same thing if it's a different species.
                                  I don't like slaughter in any form, and no I don't use leather harness's, although the logic doesn't really make sense because animals are not killed primarily for their skin, it is our desire to eat their flesh that drives the market and the factory farms. Leather is a byproduct.
                                  Secondly, I am educated enough about it to make an informed decision. We have a big animal sciences program at my university here in Alberta, and being a science major (and hopefully a vet) I choose the animal science/ag classes as my options. I KNOW that what I am seeing in regards horse slaughter..ie methods ect are the same as those used for cattle(captive stun bolt, shipping ect). I know how animals are kept on a factory farm. You can tell yourself it isn't the same all you like, but the only factor that isn't the same is that your attached to one species of animal and not the other. If you say:"this sucks because I like horsies and the thought of them being eaten offends me", then fine. But to say it's wrong on the basis of cruelty and then to go eat a steak just doesn't make much sense.

Comment

Originally posted by SBT
                                    Apparently, DC finds it cheaper to pay fines than to fix its problems (environmental contamination, inhumane conditions for the horses, and lack of OSHA standards for the workers).
                                    This is pretty true of lots of corporations - DC is not unique in that regard - except that its horses. But many corporations just cough up fines for all sorts of things and just factor it in as a cost of doing business.
                                    -Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by friesiandriver
                                      You can call it whatever you'd like..I just find it somewhat hypocritical that tonnes of people get bent out of shape when they see horses being treated like this and yet done seem to think twice about supporting the exact same thing if it's a different species.
                                      I don't like slaughter in any form, and no I don't use leather harness's, although the logic doesn't really make sense because animals are not killed primarily for their skin, it is our desire to eat their flesh that drives the market and the factory farms. Leather is a byproduct.
                                      Secondly, I am educated enough about it to make an informed decision. We have a big animal sciences program at my university here in Alberta, and being a science major (and hopefully a vet) I choose the animal science/ag classes as my options. I KNOW that what I am seeing in regards horse slaughter..ie methods ect are the same as those used for cattle(captive stun bolt, shipping ect). I know how animals are kept on a factory farm. You can tell yourself it isn't the same all you like, but the only factor that isn't the same is that your attached to one species of animal and not the other. If you say:"this sucks because I like horsies and the thought of them being eaten offends me", then fine. But to say it's wrong on the basis of cruelty and then to go eat a steak just doesn't make much sense.
                                      Well said...
                                      Originally posted by BigMama1
                                      Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
                                      GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Friesandriver- Horses go through much worse cruelty in the whole slaughter process than cattle, pigs or sheep...

1) Numerous auctions

2) Transport up to 30 hrs

3) Being processed (killed) in facilities designed for cattle (ie no head restraints, etc)

Comment

As Horrific as that is...

And the sheer waste of young good horses, After seeing Animal Cops Houston last night on Animal Planet, I think the quick death of those horses is far more humane than the horrendous things I saw done to horses, by supposed owners on that show! I cried my eyes out, The Houston SPCA does an awful lot ! I commend them for the lives they have saved, and the people who had the horses confiscated were prosecuted. I have no answers to the slaughter issue, The noble animals that mean so much to all of us, are mearly a cash crop to many. Just like cattle. The looks on those trusting young Belgians was more than I could handle!

Comment

Working...
                                          X