• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

What puts you off sale ads?

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

The biggest thing that bothers me is a seller that never sends a video after I've spoken with them and determined the horse is a reasonable match for what I'm looking for. I don't expect a seller to send me a video out of an e-mail, but after we've spoken several times I expect to get a video if they said they have one!

Comment

No price listed,
      no sex listed, (ie- bay horse for sale, 2nd level dressage)
      disiplin is not stated
      age is not sated

Comment

I HATE the word "potential". HATE it! I don't want to hear what you have in your head that the horse can do. Tell me what the horse has done. Period. Even if that is nothing- fine. Don't tell me that a yearling has potential to be a Grand Prix Jumper. If it isn't currently doing Grand Prixs, then I don't want to hear about it. Plus, if it had that much potential, wouldn't the owner be doing more with it to reach that goal? "10 year old Unbroke Arabian Broodmare. Championship lines. Moves real nice in the pasture. Potential Olympic Dressage Horse." WHAT??!?!

Comment

People who advertise their horse as an eventer because it doesn't fit in anywhere else...

Comment

• Original Poster

Ooh, I can't believe I've forgotten some of those points!! One more I've just thought of is dirty tack in sale pics. I can remember looking at one horse, for a decent trainer, and in the pics I was sent, the tack was filthy... you want me to buy the horse, make sure your tack is clean!

Oh, and photoshopped pics! 11.2 ponies do not jump badminton fences!
            Horse Show Names Free name website with over 6200 names. Want to add? PM me!

Comment

If you can choose what the horse does from a list, and prospect is a chose for things or in general- do NOT put your horse under critera he doesn't fit. If he's nine months, he's an event prospect, not an event horse.

And not from the ad itself, but if you call a buyer and she seems exasperated that you are alive- even before you've said anything. I understand stress, frustration, calling at a bad time, or whatever, but if I talk to you three times, two of which were you calling me, you don't need to be short and irritated if there's a real chance I'm buying your horse.
              <><

Comment

The Number One and Two turnoffs for me are when it is apparent that the the owner a) is clearly a moron or b) is or is associated with some breeder, dealer, BNT or wannabe BNT who is going to try and rip me off. You people know who you are and btw, asking $12-15K for an unbroken, nothing special, 5 year old WB cross gelding by some stallion I've never heard of and out of a mare you picked up cheap at the track? is laughable.

Eliminating both those types of ads narrows my search down by about 85%.

Comment

OMG ,I just wrote up 2 ads and sent them to the farm owner to post.You guys are gonna hate me.I had to say prospect because to my knowledge the horses haven't actually competed at what I think they might be good at,so prospect indicates what I believe they might be successful at ,although there is no proof.yet. I did mention the mare is hot and needs experienced rider,and that the gelding is a roarer that also cribs(I know,charming).Hopefully the owner will get some good pics to go with the ads.
                  My biggest gripe ,besides no price,is no pic ,or really bad pic.I never cease to be amazed at pics of horses jumping with legs hanging and uneven knees.Any of those things is enough to make me pass on the ad without a second thought.

Comment

Originally posted by horsekpr
                    You guys are gonna hate me.I had to say prospect because to my knowledge the horses haven't actually competed at what I think they might be good at,so prospect indicates what I believe they might be successful at ,although there is no proof.yet.
                    There's nothing wrong with referring to a horse as a prospect. The beef is when ads claim some outrageous potential.

Some of the best buying advice I ever received was, "Don't buy potential!" Second to that was, "What you see is what you get." You can watch a young horse and get a good idea whether or not it's prospect for whatever discipline. That doesn't guarantee it will be successful in that discipline, but you have to make that judgement and take the risk. "Potential" implies hope without justification. "Prospect" implies untested talent and ability.
                    "I did know once, only I've sort of forgotten." - Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Originally posted by kookicat
                      For me it's:
                      • Bad spelling and grammar
                      • Poor quality pics
                      • Silly claims by the seller
                      • Over priced horses
                      So, what do you hate?
                      No price listed, not even a ballpark figure.

No location listed, not even a state/county.

Absurdly overpriced, especially when ad says "must sell" or "first $X takes him". When I saw absurd, I mean grade horses with no show wins being priced at $5k, $10k, or more.

People who try to sell their horse as some expensive/popular breed, even when he is clearly not papered or even resembling that breed. Right now there seems to be an awful lot of unpapered "Friesians" and "Gypsys" for sale which look nothing like the breed.

No pics. Pics of blurry four legged animals that are supposed to resemble the horse for sale. Pics which seem to have been taken at night with no flash. Pics of the horse standing in tall grass on really uneven ground with so much tack on him you can barely see what color is (i.e. lousy for telling conformation)

Ads that don't say much. Tell me more than 2 sentences, please. It's ok to say the bad with the good... but just say something to make me want to call.

People with ungelded grade (or general poor quality) stallions. They either brag up what a great breeding prospect he is... or list him as a riding horse "all he needs is to be gelded".
                      Veterinarians for Equine Welfare

Comment

I agree that there's nothing wrong with listing a horse as a prospect. What annoys me is when people list their prospects so that when I'm looking for an eventer, someone has taken the list of whatever options on the site she posted on, and listed the prospect under 'eventer' or 'hunter-jumper' instead of something that implies prospect. I understand that it may occassionaly be the site, but one's horse is NOT an eventer if it 'might' become an eventer. I understand the reasoning behind commiting this terrible act of annoyance but disagree all the same!
                        <><

Comment

"My loss is your gain." "Husband horse." What is a husband horse? lol
                          MnToBe Twinkle Star: "Twinkie"
                          http://i236.photobucket.com/albums/f...wo/009_17A.jpg

Proud member of the "Don't rush to kill wildlife" clique!

Comment

"Husband horse." What is a husband horse? lol
                            Something that was bought with the hope that the SO would have the same passion for 4-legged equines that you do. It is typically big, safe and quiet enough for a rank beginner to trail ride it with the bridle on backwards and the saddle set back 12 inches too far. After the horse came home, the husband realized that he wasn't the Lone Ranger and that the horse wasn't Silver, it has sat in a pasture getting fat. The wife has finally given up and has put the horse up for sale. Husband has decided to get a motorcycle instead. (And that my friends, is how I got the Plow Beast!)

Comment

LOL...like the "my loss is your gain" I can't stand the puffed up, "buy him now or be beaten by him later!" Blech...who falls for that line? As if I'm going to run and buy the horse in case I ever show against it and as if I can't win against it no matter if a spider monkey buys it and shows it.
                              You jump in the saddle,
                              Hold onto the bridle!
                              Jump in the line!
                              ...Belefonte

Comment

1. Dirty horse especially a pinto or grey ugggg!

2. Picture of horse in front of manure pile just standing even though it is listed as an outstanding riding horse. If the horse can wear leather I want to see it wearing leather and moving!

3. I also hate it when you see a picture of a nice looking horse only to find out the picture is actually the sire, half-sister, full brother, dam etc.

4. Picture that was taken when the horse was a weanling and the horse is now four years old and under saddle.

Comment

Originally posted by kookicat

Oh, and photoshopped pics! 11.2 ponies do not jump badminton fences!
                                  Hey speak for yourself...I'd LOVE to have a link to THAT one!!
                                  The Equine Wellness and Nutrition FB Group - Come join us!!
                                  https://www.facebook.com/groups/equinewellness/

Comment

Ignorant owners. People who post things like, "Awesome Country English Pleasure horse. Real good Western Pleasure horse two. Never been showed but would be real nice show horse." All right ... Country English Pleasure is saddle seat, people, not a stroll through a weedy pasture in a forward seat saddle that's held together by baling twine. Western Pleasure is a specific class, not a generalization that you like that saddle with the horn because it makes you feel like Roy Rogers. A horse that has never been shown is not a show horse. And for god's sake, please check your spelling. I equate bad spelling and incorrect terminology with low intellect.

"Real" is used far too often in ads, usually followed by "flashy."

Another turn-off: "This horse would be worth $10,000 more if you bought him at a trainer's so get him now before I change my mind." Hmmmmm.

People who market unshown, in-training four-year-olds as children's horses should be shot at sunrise.

Then there are the photos of the horse grazing. Truly, I expect that the horse knows how to graze. I don't need to see proof of it. I also expect that the horse has hindquarters, so please don't take butt shots. Why did any breed registry ever start that trend?? It looks terrible.

And a horse is not any breed unless he has the papers to prove it. Don't tell me he's an Arabian unless you have papers in hand. Don't say he's a Quarter Pony just because people see "Quarter" and want to buy it. An unregistered, unpapered horse is a grade horse. There is no proof of his breeding. You might hazard a guess as to his breeding, but there is no way he should be listed online as any one breed, unless you have the papers to prove it.

The one ad I DID end up buying a horse from was simple, factual and accurate. The owner was courteous and answered my questions -- and followed up with her own questions for me (what is your facility like? how long have you been riding? what do you plan to do with her?). She refused to send a video because she didn't have video footage that showed the horse to its advantage. She did email a photo but also said that she is not a professional photographer. I understand and respect all those things!

The pony we just bought for our daughters came from an excellent home, had a long show career, and the owner was so accommodating that she offered to locate the person they'd bought the pony from, four years earlier, to get answers to my questions.
                                    The greatest use of life is to spend it for something that will outlive it -- William James

Comment

It is CONFORMATION, not confirmation.

Yikes.
                                      I used to collect lunchboxes...now I collect horses...

"Are you hopping today?" ....fave quote from Mr. lunchbox

Comment

How interesting that so many people mentioned that no price listed was an no-no. I recently sold a very nice TB through a professional. Prior to going to the professional, he was was also advertised on an equine sales website. While the sale was pending, I removed the price from the ad. When I did that, the inquiries easily tripled. He ended up sellling for quite a bit more than he had originally been advertised.

Comment

Private Treaty

My big pet peeve is the term "private treaty" listed for the price. It's liking saying "if you have to ask, you can't afford it" (which is usually true in my case ).
                                          Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
                                          http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Comment

Working...
                                          X