• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Western Training methods

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Western Training methods

I have a good friend and horsewoman who's opinion I respect who has a young QH mare in training at a western barn. She loves the trainer and feels that he has done a great job with her youngster but when she was telling me about some of his training methods I had to literally bite my tongue. When she got to the barn last week her mare was in her stall with her head tied to one side. When she questioned what was going on she was told that the mare was being resistant and this was an accepted way of teaching a horse to soften to the side. The trainer alternated 20 minutes on each side. I have not heard of this before and it sounds a little dangerous with a young horse that is likely to panic and fall or am I being overly sensitive?

It's a good way to teach a horse to soften it's side, but not for long periods of time. 20 mins is not bad compared to the poor horses who are tied up like that all day! As long as the horse is not injured and it does not go one for more then 20 mins I would just let it go. Any more time then that or doing that on a panicy horse is dangerous and you would have a right to be conserned.
    -Lindsey

Comment

Way too general a title, as if ALL western trainers do this or anything else you may have seen.

I could turn about and say "YOU ALL Dressage people longe in too tight sidereins for too long a time" because I've seen it happen (even seen a horse killed flipping over in the too-tight sidereins)....but I know not ALL do.

Each discipline does something that someone in another discipline won't like or thinks is cruel, or whatever.

Personally, tieing around, depending on the setting, the horse, and the reason, for that short a time is no biggie. I would do it in a ring or round pen, myself, not the stall. Lets them walk around a bit and use their muscles as they learn to soften.
      "As a rule we disbelieve all the facts and theories for which we have no use."- William James
      ~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~~

Proud member of the Wheat Loss Clique.

Comment

Redneck Bending. It’s not an uncommon method, and I’ve seen it done often. I personally have no use for it, but to each his own.
        "I did know once, only I've sort of forgotten." - Winnie the Pooh

Comment

Wow. Difference of opinion, I suppose. If I ever came to the barn and saw that with my horse we'd be hauling a$$ out of there ASAP.

That's if Ted would even let them do it.
          www.specialhorses.org
          a 501(c)3 organization helping 501(c)3 equine rescues

Comment

QHs are a whole different deal than TBs or WBs. They aren't generally as likely to wig out and do something stupid, and their body build often makes it more difficult for them to produce bend on demand. Mentally, they can be a little "tougher" -- as in there has to be a damn good reason for them to do something before they will do it, especially if said something is not naturally easy for them. And their comfort often trumps the "pretty please, horsie, do as I say" in the motivation department. Left alone, with the head tied to one side (I'm assuming this was tied just enough to create distinct bend and not the nose snubbed tight to the cinch) gives a naturally "stiff" horse plenty of leisure time to discover that, yes, he CAN in fact, bend. And his release/reward is INSTANT. No waiting for some dimwit rider to notice he's given to the bit and quit harping on him.

Just because dressage freaks want to take ten years to get a horse to bend from a combination of whapping on them with the seat, cranking on them with the reins, and a bit of whip and spur now and then, doesn't mean it HAS to take that long. If we could poll the dressage horses, they might vote for one side rein in the stall as opposed to two on the lunge line.

Comment

Just because dressage freaks want to take ten years to get a horse to bend from a combination of whapping on them with the seat, cranking on them with the reins, and a bit of whip and spur now and then, doesn't mean it HAS to take that long. If we could poll the dressage horses, they might vote for one side rein in the stall as opposed to two on the lunge line
              Was that really necessary? That is a generalization and Dressage isn't like that unless you're a crappy rider that doesn't know any different. It takes a while to teach them correctly because it isn't teaching them how to hold their head, which is a headset. You teach horses that when they bend or give, you give a bit which is their reward for bending or being collected. One tight side rein in a stall doesn't give.

Comment

Originally posted by greysandbays
                QHs are a whole different deal than TBs or WBs. They aren't generally as likely to wig out and do something stupid, and their body build often makes it more difficult for them to produce bend on demand. Mentally, they can be a little "tougher" -- as in there has to be a damn good reason for them to do something before they will do it, especially if said something is not naturally easy for them. And their comfort often trumps the "pretty please, horsie, do as I say" in the motivation department. Left alone, with the head tied to one side (I'm assuming this was tied just enough to create distinct bend and not the nose snubbed tight to the cinch) gives a naturally "stiff" horse plenty of leisure time to discover that, yes, he CAN in fact, bend. And his release/reward is INSTANT. No waiting for some dimwit rider to notice he's given to the bit and quit harping on him.

Just because dressage freaks want to take ten years to get a horse to bend from a combination of whapping on them with the seat, cranking on them with the reins, and a bit of whip and spur now and then, doesn't mean it HAS to take that long. If we could poll the dressage horses, they might vote for one side rein in the stall as opposed to two on the lunge line.
                Wow...a bit of hostility, eh? For one, my horse doesn't "wig out and do something stupid." Now, I may wig out and do something stupid, but that's not what we're talking about here. He's the one who pulled a 69% in a test with a helicopter hovering just overhead.[Oh - and that's considered an excellent score, by the way.]

And considering he's an OTTB...I'd say he's pretty damn tough. Takes a lot to get through that training regimine, I would imagine.

And in fact, correct dressage does not use the spour or whip to ask for bend - those are aids (and not punishments) used to elicit other responses, such as activation of the hind leg. And it hasn't taken 10 years for him to be able to bend. The whole idea of dressage, as I understand it, is physical therapy for the horse. Your horse should be physically more capable (even if only incrementally) and more relaxed after each tarining session.

I'm pretty certain if we got an animal communicator to ask Ted, he'd put a big "Hoof Down" on the tieing up concept. And I can honestly say that even though I am not an elite rider, nor am I a profesisonal trainer, my horse continues to develop both mentally and physically, and is a happy, willing partner. Of course, that's just what I consider important. As I said, different points of view!
                www.specialhorses.org

Comment

From a dressage stand point having dealt with many a greenie, any method which may encourage the horse to dive defensively behind the bit is a method to avoid. That goes for moving forward or asking for a particular flexion. If, on the other hand, you want to the horse to memorize a headset, go ahead and teach it to duck. It doesn't harm the horse to have its head tied around for a few minutes. It can be a pain in the butt to later convince the horse to keep some contact with the bit though.

Comment

Actually Aggie4bar, in a way we do that - even on the ground, asking for flexion. But only for a few minutes, if that, not 20 minutes, in the same position, standing in a stall.

One of the neat things my trainer has made me think about is right after we work, my horse is still reacting/responding - if it's a good place, a good memory, he'll be more willing to put the effort in the next time. Knowing my boy, if we did that, you can bet we wouldn't get near him to tie him down the next time. Wouldn't be a "happy place."
                    www.specialhorses.org

Comment

Originally posted by Jeepers
                      Was that really necessary? That is a generalization and Dressage isn't like that unless you're a crappy rider that doesn't know any different. It takes a while to teach them correctly because it isn't teaching them how to hold their head, which is a headset. You teach horses that when they bend or give, you give a bit which is their reward for bending or being collected. One tight side rein in a stall doesn't give.
                      Actually, one side rein properly adjusted DOES "give". The instant -- the VERY instant -- the horse bends properly, the rein is SLACK. As in NO MORE PRESSURE.

While I'd never use this method on a "noodle", it certainly has its place with stiff horses who find bending difficult.

Comment

DG, the difference is (or should be) that when the horse gives, you allow it to resume a neutral position and ponder the event. Then you ask again and reward again. Creating a permanent boundary that requires a particular flexion or frame, even if the horse rewards itself for giving within that boundary, can leaving an unwanted lasting impression wherein they try to stay just behind the action in the rein.

Comment

Actually, one side rein properly adjusted DOES "give". The instant -- the VERY instant -- the horse bends properly, the rein is SLACK. As in NO MORE PRESSURE.

While I'd never use this method on a "noodle", it certainly has its place with stiff horses who find bending difficult.
                          Not give as in complete slack, slack doesn't teach them to hold a bend which early on won't be much obviously, just a bit.

Also, you could leave out the attitude, you don't make friends that way or learn things, but as it seems you have everything figured out and you know it all...

Comment

Yes, but the horse's neck is still bent in an uncomfortable position. They learned nothing, as the "give" did not ease their cramping neck muscles on the opposite side. It would make them worse, as they had to bend more to ease the pain in their mouth. You've got cramping neck muscles and a deadening mouth - sounds great to me.

Comment

Originally posted by DressageGeek "Ribbon Ho"
                              Wow...a bit of hostility, eh? For one, my horse doesn't "wig out and do something stupid." Now, I may wig out and do something stupid, but that's not what we're talking about here. He's the one who pulled a 69% in a test with a helicopter hovering just overhead.[Oh - and that's considered an excellent score, by the way.] You claimed your horse would not permit this exercise. What would he do other than wig out that would make its implementation impossible? Look down his long, aristocratic nose and harumph his disapproval?

And considering he's an OTTB...I'd say he's pretty damn tough. Takes a lot to get through that training regimine, I would imagine. Apparently, you misunderstood my usage of the word "tough". QHs are tough in a whole different way than TBs. You'd have to understand their breed hertiage to get that, I guess.

And in fact, correct dressage does not use the spour or whip to ask for bend - those are aids (and not punishments) used to elicit other responses, such as activation of the hind leg. And it hasn't taken 10 years for him to be able to bend. The whole idea of dressage, as I understand it, is physical therapy for the horse. Your horse should be physically more capable (even if only incrementally) and more relaxed after each tarining session. And the whole idea of western is to have a horse who requires a minimum of interference/guidence from the rider. This is a discpline developed from a history of a rider spending many, many, many hours in the saddle over all sorts of terrain -- all the while trying to keep a bunch of contrary cows under control. The idea of "physical therapy for the horse" would have been laughable. Incrementally increasing capability equally so.

I'm pretty certain if we got an animal communicator to ask Ted, he'd put a big "Hoof Down" on the tieing up concept. And I can honestly say that even though I am not an elite rider, nor am I a profesisonal trainer, my horse continues to develop both mentally and physically, and is a happy, willing partner. Of course, that's just what I consider important. As I said, different points of view! With the implication, that of course, yours is the superior one.

Comment

Originally posted by Aggie4Bar
                                DG, the difference is (or should be) that when the horse gives, you allow it to resume a neutral position and ponder the event. Then you ask again and reward again. Creating a permanent boundary that requires a particular flexion or frame, even if the horse rewards itself for giving within that boundary, can leaving an unwanted lasting impression wherein they try to stay just behind the action in the rein.
                                You said it better than I did, thanks!
                                www.specialhorses.org

Comment

With the implication, that of course, yours is the superior one.
                                  Yes. in this case, yes it is. I calls it as I sees 'em.
                                  www.specialhorses.org

Comment

GreysandBays,

I have a mustang that had this done. While her head was tied she was a perfect little angel. I told that trainer to be careful, I could see her little mind going. When she was untied she went after the trainer for blood, developed a severe hatred of said trainer, and refused to do anything when she was around except rear and bolt. Shattered my confidence and took me a year to undo 30 minutes of "training".

It's pointless, stupid, dangerous, and does hurt horses. Why don't we tie your head around to the side by your earring or nose ring and see how you like it?

Steph

Comment

Stefffic, there is a bog difference in horses compared to humans, I can't even see comparing them to each other, both mental and phy.

I don't see how 20 mins could hurt the horse, the head it not usually tied straight back, but as greysandbays said they are loose enough to give slack when the horse stops resisting.

If this is really as cruel as most people say it is, it would not be used on horses as often as it is, even on champions. There is a difference between 20 mins and all day.

I have done that to a certin extent on my horses, just enough time till they give, then they can resume normal head postion. I like my way better then compltely restraining them, but it has it's purposes.
                                      -Lindsey

Comment

DJ,

Aren't your horses not longeing, bucking you off, bolting, etc...

My horses aren't. Period. I do NOT force train. I'm not going to tie my horse's head around to one side. It IS bad for their backs, necks, shoulders, and polls. There are different types of unsoundnesses in western horses, and there are a ton of unsound QHs around.

Steph

Comment

Working...
                                        X