• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Help! What do I do? Parents and Riding Lessons (sorry, LONG)

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by DocHF
    a) with a paper route
    b) and babysitting
    c) and conspiring with a friend and
    d) neither of us told our parents until months later.
    e) the training wasn't very good

No kidding, my best friend , who was 12, and myself a few months younger at 11, had a paper route and saved all our money and pooled it to buy a 10 year old large pony, which we kept at the riding stable where we bought it. The pony was trained to harness and worked off his board by being used as a trail horse and a hay wagon horse. My friend paid me back and took full possession a year later. So that part of the story is not unusual. My parents never knew until years later I had actually been part owner of that horse, and my friend told her parents it was my horse! At 14, my coach and I went to a claiming race and bought an OTTB for me. And again, my parents never knew until some time later. Our folks were just happy knowing we were hanging out at the barn all day, every day and were safe and healthy. They never paid for our riding lessons or other horse realted expenses. We got jobs for that, and rode our bicycles the 13 miles each way to the stable each day.

Later, we both paid for our own education at private highschool and I went on and paid for my entire university education myself and did not live at home past age 18. We learned very good lessons about finances and savings and hard work because of horses in our lives.

We were not perfect, and our parents were not wretched. And I'm sure, hanging out at the barn on Firday nights, we sometimes complained about our hard lot when the other girls at the stables had the luck to have their parents buy them expensive horses and clothes, while we sewed our own breeches from the Lola Gentry catalog of patterns.
    Yeah, but this girl doesn't have a job. No paper route. No babysitting.
    "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen
    http://www.etsy.com/shop/tailsofglory

Comment

• Originally posted by Alagirl

In dubio pro reo...
      Yeah, I'm not sure what your hang up is with me or with non-English phrases when this is predominantly an English speaking/reading bb, but you can add to me your ignore list and save yourself a lot of time quoting my posts and rebuddling. As for the above phrase, this is not a court of law and your little gem simply does not apply.
      "Absent a correct diagnosis, medicine is poison, surgery is trauma and alternative therapy is witchcraft" A. Kent Allen

Comment

• Originally posted by JackieBlue
        Yeah, I'm not sure what your hang up is with me or with non-English phrases when this is predominantly an English speaking/reading bb, but you can add to me your ignore list and save yourself a lot of time quoting my posts and rebuddling. As for the above phrase, this is not a court of law and your little gem simply does not apply.
        It's a legal term: Latin for *If any doubt for the defendant!*

Or, as the legal system has it: Innocent untill proven guilty.

Comment

Yeah, but this girl doesn't have a job. No paper route. No babysitting.
          Most papers these days require the paper person to have a driverslicense and a car these days...

Besides, she had a job, and she IS working her board off...

Comment

It's a legal term: Latin for *If any doubt for the defendant!*

Or, as the legal system has it: Innocent untill proven guilty.
            Yes, I know exactly what it means. Why else would I have said "this is not a court of law?" It actually is translated in English circles as "any ambiguity must accrue to the defendant’s advantage", but why split hairs? You are not the only one on this board with a brain, my dear.

As far as your above quote goes with the paper route thing, it was someone else who originally brought that up and I simply commented. Why didn't you quote the OP? If you take such issue only with me (MANY others have posted the same things I have) why not just add me to your "ignore" list?

Comment

Yes, I know exactly what it means. Why else would I have said "this is not a court of law?" It actually is translated in English circles as "any ambiguity must accrue to the defendant’s advantage", but why split hairs? You are not the only one on this board with a brain, my dear.
              My momma taught me better than to type what I am thinking.

You have a nice day!

Comment

• I happen to have a daughter who could worry the sh!t out of constipated donkey.
                You jump in the saddle,
                Hold onto the bridle!
                Jump in the line!
                ...Belefonte

Comment

My momma taught me better than to type what I am thinking.

You have a nice day!
                  I really have no idea why you're upset with me, but okay...I have had a great day, thank you.

Comment

• Once again, it is NOT a private school. It is an alternative school, and sometimes referred to as a 'charter school' because it does operate under a charter- but not private, and no tuition besides the taxes everyone pays. It is a public high school, and enrollment is decided by lottery, although siblings of current students get in automatically. I got in by lottery.

I paid for my first horse with a combination of money from working for my trainer and birthday/Christmas money from my grandmother, who had sent me a little toward the horse fund for each of those occasions since I was three years old and announced that I wanted to save up for a horse. Of course, I was thinking of the occasional quarter I found in the couch cushions at the time, but when that notion didn't leave my head, my grandmother decided instead of buying me toys and clothes she would contribute to my future horse.

I trained her with a lot of weekly lessons- it went slooooooow, but I did it by myself, and she ended up quite the successful little hunter pony in the smaller local shows. She had a really special temperament. I don't mean to say at age 11 I could have trained the average greenbroke eight year old- she just wasn't average. Her heart was the size of Alaska (at least) and her brain just about as big. She now belongs to a very little girl who cleans up at the shows with her.

My parents knew, but I did have a friend who bought a barely halter broke yearling Mustang filly without ever telling her parents until eight months later she was grounded because all the times she was at the barn, they thought she was with a boyfriend, and decided to put a stop to her antics!

Comment

• Originally posted by BelladonnaLily
                      I happen to have a daughter who could worry the sh!t out of constipated donkey.

Never heard that one. Love it!
                      Delicious strawberry flavored death!

Comment

• Originally posted by jn4jenny
                        You are not in a financial position to own a horse right now.
                        Abso-total-lutely.

Comment

• I was in similar circumstances to AA's when I was her age. I took quite a few college courses as a concurrent enrollment student, including English 1A when I was a high school freshman. My parents didn't let me get my permit and start learning to drive until I was 18, even though I took Driver's Ed (which was essentially a more detailed version of the DMV manual, no actual practice). It is tough to do all of the classes justice, especially with a bus ride between them! Instead of having weathy parents, I frequently needed to give them part of my earnings (from the barn, babysitting, housework, and my 4-H project animals) to keep food on the table and gas in the tank.

AA, I have to agree with the others that since your parents aren't willing any longer to support your horse, and you don't currently have a job, you should probably find a new home for him. Some people do manage to keep their horses through college/university, but it's a struggle. Since your emergency savings for him have been wiped out, and you can't afford to work with a trainer, it sounds like it is in his best interest.

I just finished getting my B.S. degree last year, and was able to ride at least twice a week, sometimes as many as 5 or 6 times. Taking lessons and being fortunate enough to have rides offered to me had to be enough, though. Even a part-lease didn't allow for my changing schedule of classes from one term to the next, and midterms and finals frequently were too hectic to have any time at the barn. I worked full time on top of taking a full course load, though. Since you have a scholarship, you probably can get away with doing a part-time internship instead. Even if you don't need the money from working, it's tough to get a job without that experience up-front. Also, many people (including me) have found that a change in majors is indicated after we actually give it a try!

I can understand feeling a little disappointed about it, and if they can afford it, it would be nice of them to give or loan you the money. They may feel that after all the time and money that have been invested in your riding, that you shouldn't need lessons anymore. Lots of non-horsey people have that perspective. It could be that even though they are well-to do, that they are having a temporary cash-flow problem, or they might be stressed out about your sister's situation, or otherwise just in a bad mood. Finals are coming up soon, probably for both H.S. and your college classes, so I'd suggest waiting another month until they are over. Then, you'll need to find a job for the summer and focus on getting your license. Volunteering is wonderful, but you have to make your own living situation, transportation, and further schooling your priority.
                          Stay me with coffee, comfort me with chocolate, for I am sick of love.

Comment

• Well, you have a lot of good advice, and I'll add my two cents just for ducks:

I got my first job at the age of 11. I lived in San Francisco (on 40th and Vicente, for those in the area) and my job was on 14th and Taraval. This is many, many city-sized blocks. I took the trolly every day to that job and was never, ever late. If the trolly was late, I hoofed it. Sometimes I even beat the trolly! When I moved to San Jose during high school, I picked up a job 4 1/2 miles from my house. I was lucky then, because I owned a bike. From the age of 11, I bought all my own clothes, my school supplies - everything. My dad and stepmom were harsh (and selfish, but I won't get into that...) and equally as unreasonable as you make your folks out to be. The bad news is that they were a pain to deal with. The good news is that I am very adept at handling pain in the patootie people!

As a parent, I would be ecstatic if my kid came to me with a plan of attack: "Mom, I need need some help. I've applied for a job at Y Place of Business, and I will be taking the bus there, but I'd sure like a ride home because I am nervous about being out late. I'll be happy to pay my share of gas and insurance while I work to get my license. I know I can only work part time at this point because of my course load, so at this time I'll need some extra help with some of these expenses. This is the budget I've made up (present neat, reasonable budget now. Include 10% savings and an interest on money borrowed from parents. They will most likely refuse interest, but it is still the grown-up way to handle your life.) and I'd like your input to see that I'm on the right track. What do you think?"

At this point, expect the lecture about waste and how you are off track in your life. Your job is to keep your mind open and your mouth shut. say "Yes, I suppose you are right." and "What is the better way to handle this?" at the appropriate times. This will be hard. Very hard. Remember, they do have at least 20 years experience on you, and it sounds like they've done a great job in rearing you so far. They must know something!

When you are in the midst of The Lecture, it is helpful to remember that you are trying to impress upon your folks that you are deserving of more money (not entitled - that is very off-putting) and that you are mature enough to handle your life in all its aspects. In othr words, pretend that you are in an interview and you are impressing you prospective boss. Be polite, be thorough, and don't ever forget to thank them even if the answer is no. They will remember that the next time you ask for money and will be more inclined to be charitable.

As far as your horse goes, I can't afford lessons very often on my baby greenie either, and I am way too old to be asking Mom for money. I work with what I know until I can afford a lesson, and then work again. It's not very fast, but it is effective and I don't borrow money. Sometimes I do spend a day grooming in exchange, though!
                            Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Comment

• Sorry to dissent.....

But when did it become an entitlement to own a horse?

Comment

• It is not. But one can always ask, politely. The answer might be no.

She sounds like a pretty hard worker. Personally, if she were my kid with her GPA and earning both college and high school credits, I would help with the horse if I could afford it. After all, I pay for karate lessons, tutoring, swim lessons and music lessons. A horse requires as much discipline as any of these things and costs about the same as a couple of activities combined.

I would encourage a job, at least for the summer, at her age, though - provided the grades didn't suffer. Growth must happen!
                                Don't tell me about what you can't do. That's boring. Show me what you can do. - Mom

Comment

• I've been in a place similar to yours money wise. No luck finding a job, had tons of horse bills, plus other bills. I was also going to school full time. Best thing I ever did was sell my horse. It was so hard. I felt like he was all I had. A week later I got a great job, bought a car (saving $400 a month on board was plenty enough to make monthly payments+insurance on a great car!) etc. It was so hard to realize what I needed to do. Everyone was telling me but I didn't want to listen. Now I look back on it (it's been about 2 years) and I am so thankful that I listened to their advice. I still ride and take lessons, and even leased a horse for a little while. But I don't have to deal with that constant worry of whether or not I'll have enough for board or unexpected vet bills. You'd be amazed at how much weight it takes off your shoulders.

Good luck with whatever you decide to do. You seem like a very mature girl. Look ahead to the future and pick what you think is best for you to get to your goals and still maintain a happy life while getting there.
                                  -Tami-

[Paint It Black - "Kiddo"]

Comment

• I think I am picking up on two weird things through ciber space---

First off-
                                    Wretched parents end at, or before what AA has described? Did someone really say this? Please, raise your hand.

Secondly-
                                    The parents who are speaking up, are you words dripping with pride with how you have raised your children, or how *well* you know their world?

Please, answer me!

Comment

• I think a translation is required, first.

Your questions are so poorly worded and punctuated that I can't figure out what you want to know. Rephrase, please?
                                      In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                                      A life lived by example, done too soon.
                                      www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

• I'm glad you posted that, ESG. I was starting to wonder if I hadn't completely woken up yet, or what?! I didn't get it either.

Comment

• Originally posted by Emryss
                                          Well, you have a lot of good advice, and I'll add my two cents just for ducks:

I got my first job at the age of 11. I lived in San Francisco (on 40th and Vicente, for those in the area) and my job was on 14th and Taraval. This is many, many city-sized blocks. I took the trolly every day to that job and was never, ever late. If the trolly was late, I hoofed it. Sometimes I even beat the trolly! When I moved to San Jose during high school, I picked up a job 4 1/2 miles from my house. I was lucky then, because I owned a bike. From the age of 11, I bought all my own clothes, my school supplies - everything. My dad and stepmom were harsh (and selfish, but I won't get into that...) and equally as unreasonable as you make your folks out to be. The bad news is that they were a pain to deal with. The good news is that I am very adept at handling pain in the patootie people!

As a parent, I would be ecstatic if my kid came to me with a plan of attack: "Mom, I need need some help. I've applied for a job at Y Place of Business, and I will be taking the bus there, but I'd sure like a ride home because I am nervous about being out late. I'll be happy to pay my share of gas and insurance while I work to get my license. I know I can only work part time at this point because of my course load, so at this time I'll need some extra help with some of these expenses. This is the budget I've made up (present neat, reasonable budget now. Include 10% savings and an interest on money borrowed from parents. They will most likely refuse interest, but it is still the grown-up way to handle your life.) and I'd like your input to see that I'm on the right track. What do you think?"

At this point, expect the lecture about waste and how you are off track in your life. Your job is to keep your mind open and your mouth shut. say "Yes, I suppose you are right." and "What is the better way to handle this?" at the appropriate times. This will be hard. Very hard. Remember, they do have at least 20 years experience on you, and it sounds like they've done a great job in rearing you so far. They must know something!

When you are in the midst of The Lecture, it is helpful to remember that you are trying to impress upon your folks that you are deserving of more money (not entitled - that is very off-putting) and that you are mature enough to handle your life in all its aspects. In othr words, pretend that you are in an interview and you are impressing you prospective boss. Be polite, be thorough, and don't ever forget to thank them even if the answer is no. They will remember that the next time you ask for money and will be more inclined to be charitable.

As far as your horse goes, I can't afford lessons very often on my baby greenie either, and I am way too old to be asking Mom for money. I work with what I know until I can afford a lesson, and then work again. It's not very fast, but it is effective and I don't borrow money. Sometimes I do spend a day grooming in exchange, though!

That was beautifully put, and an EXCELLENT suggestion!!! Go EMRYSS!!!
                                          http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Comment

Working...
                                          X