• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Neighbors from hell...continued.

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Set a line of step-in's and run hotwire about 5 feet inside your outside fence.

Then the horses will not be able to reach over the fence to the Horse Whisperers who live beside you.

That's the best I can think of right now. I cannot imagine the hell you are going through. The sheer audacity of it all...
    "Kindness is free" ~ Eurofoal
    ---
    The CoTH CYA - please consult w/your veterinarian under any and all circumstances.

Comment

I would make a priority of a very tall (8') electric fence on the border of your property and the neighbors. I would also install cameras.

If the dog comes on your property again, I would seriously consider making the dog disappear. Your choice if it permanently disappears or simply winds up in a humane society cage. In another town. A dog that chased one of my horses would be finished off by my older gelding, who has excellent aim and wouldn't think twice about it. My younger horse would be scared and would run, possibly hurting himself. I wouldn't take the chance.

I would put motion sensors/lights all over your property/barn. And I would make a habit of calling the police when they were triggered by your neighbors.

Finally, I agree with the poster who said to cease the invitations to the children under any circumstances. Those who want to take a mile shouldn't be given the first inch.

Good luck.
      We move pretty fast for some rabid garden snails.
      -PaulaEdwina

Comment

If there's a law saying dogs can be shot without warning if chasing livestock, which it sounds like there is, the first thing you should do is go down to Wal-Mart or the gun store, and get a good 20 gauge. Learn to shoot it, and keep it by the back door. Dog comes on your land, no more dog. I have no tolerance for morons like this.

Comment

Invite Misty Blue for a week!

She'll shoot them with frozen paintballs out of her lazer sited paintball gun

Hot wire alon the fenceline, plus a second one to keep the horses away from the fence, less wire in the charging unit equals bigger shock...believe me, I know!

Rosebushes are your friend, I'd stir clear of poisonIvy...that stuff you don't want...though it's fun to see somebody else have the spreading itchy rash...

Other than that, tell them point blank: *Shut the He** up and get your a$$ of my property!*

Next step: a leg of lamb, right in the kisser!
          Originally posted by BigMama1
          Facts don't have versions. If they do, they are opinions
          GNU Terry Prachett

Comment

Sorry to hear about your problems but I almost had the exact same problem with my new neighbors, except they were a lot more understanding. They were really trying to keep their dog at home, it just wasn't working. Imagine my horror when the neighbors dog was over "playing" with my 1 week old foal! He is not a mean dog but loves to play and run through my yard, not to mention come over everyday to do his "chores" on my lawn. My dog knows better than to go on the lawn and I didn't appreciate picking up after the neighbors dog or watch him peeing on my hay etc. I would also look out to see the neighbor kids in the pen visiting the horses!! I am sorry, I have young horses and they can be unpredictable and the last thing I need is someone getting hurt!
            So a month ago we tore down the old perimeter fencing between the neighbor and I and put up rail fencing. Underneath the bottom rail and above it we strung electric. We also took out the convenient "walk-throughs" that were there from before. So far I am happy to report it has worked like a charm! Yesterday alone I heard the neighbors dog "light up" twice and could only grin to myself. Electric is a great thing!
            Cindy's Warmbloods
            www.cindyswarmbloods.com Cindy's Warmbloods
            www.facebook.com/CindysWarmbloods Join Us on Facebook for latest updates!

Comment

Hi...First of all I love your user name...It's great...

I'm a Realtor-Associate in Florida...As far as I'm concerned "a man's/woman's home is his/her castle..." You have right to "quiet and peaceful enjoyment of your property..." From what I read on your post your neighbors do not have an "easement by perscription" and there is no "encroachment..." However, laws here may be different in your locale...Like the others have mentioned contact an attorney...I know some of the other members on this bb are attorneys...Hopefully, one of them will have the opportunity to read your post...

Absolutely post no tresspassing signs!!! You may want to look into appropriate fencing to keep the neighbors and the dog out...

Good for you...You put your foot down and kept your cool...

Next time tell them you are a tropical storm on the verge of developing into a hurricane

Comment

I'm an ex-paralegal, and I strongly agree with the letter suggested by ParadiseFarm in post 14. In addition, I would copy the letter to the local legal authorities as well as an attorney after you paid the legal authorities a visit and explained the situation.

Those kids should never be allowed on your property under any circumstances. The mother's attitude is an indicator of just how well those kids would listen to you if they came for a supervised visit.

I'm with the hot wire and hedges crowd, too. Sorry that you have to deal with such PITAs!

Laskiblue

Comment

i thought jaegermonster's post was right on....

you need to rescind the invitation to the kids. Period. The family, any or all of them are not allowed on your property, that way there is no misunderstanding.

You need to document all your conversations, and write them the detailed letter and send it certified, return receipt.

Here we have a livestock clause saying we can kill marauding dogs. It's harsh---but you could, like someone else suggested, make him disappear. Screw the people, they aren't getting it. Maybe having Bowser not show up home might get the picture across.

The signs are imperative---the ones that hold water liabilty wise, and no tresspassing signs as well.

Coupled with the letter, they should get the picture. Hot wire as well---shrubbery is going to take a lot of time to grow, you could still do it, but technically it's not your problem.

Cover your a$$ from the attractive nuisance thing---hell, could you contact the pony club coordinator as well and let her know the issue?Maybe coming from someone else it might help as well.

And let the police know this situation and just remember to document everything.

Good luck, and may I say you are a logical and well spoken 19 year old with a lot of common sense. It's a pleasure to read your posts.
                  Ellipses users clique ...
                  TGFPT,HYOOTGP

Comment

Originally posted by Cindy's Warmbloods
                    So a month ago we tore down the old perimeter fencing between the neighbor and I and put up rail fencing. Underneath the bottom rail and above it we strung electric. We also took out the convenient "walk-throughs" that were there from before. So far I am happy to report it has worked like a charm! Yesterday alone I heard the neighbors dog "light up" twice and could only grin to myself. Electric is a great thing!
                    I am lovin' the mental image that conjures up. And before anyone gets their knickers in a twist, I have four dogs of my own..........that stay on my property, in their pen, away from the horses. Why people think it's effing rocket science to keep a canine confined is beyond me.

So very sorry you're having this trouble, TS. I agree with the electric fencing inside your current perimeter, and do install no-climb with electric wire on top as soon as you're able. That will solve the dog problem. Electric alone might not, especially if the dog is a Lab or one of the other thicker-skinned, high-pain-threshhold breeds. No-climb will keep anything out.

JME.
                    In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                    A life lived by example, done too soon.
                    www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

Originally posted by laskiblue
                      I'm an ex-paralegal, and I strongly agree with the letter suggested by ParadiseFarm in post 14. In addition, I would copy the letter to the local legal authorities as well as an attorney after you paid the legal authorities a visit and explained the situation.

Those kids should never be allowed on your property under any circumstances. The mother's attitude is an indicator of just how well those kids would listen to you if they came for a supervised visit.

I'm with the hot wire and hedges crowd, too. Sorry that you have to deal with such PITAs!

Laskiblue
                      Yup. Ditto this.
                      In loving memory of Laura Jahnke.
                      A life lived by example, done too soon.
                      www.caringbridge.org/page/laurajahnke/

Comment

• Original Poster

Thank you for all the suggestions.

I am hoping beyond hope that when the horses come Saturday, it'll be a novelty for a day or two and then pitter off.

I'm also hoping that I have illustrated what can happen to their dog sufficiently to make them at least think about restraining them (I have contacted my by-law officer and know exactly what to do if he starts running down my horses)

As for the kids...well, we'll see, won't we?

I will also be contacting my family's lawyer on the weekend, just to get an idea of what exactly I can do (and if I need to do anything to cover my own butt in case something DID happen)
                        In my opinion, a horse is the animal to have. 1300 pounds of raw muscle, power, grace, and sweat between your legs - it's something you just can't get from a pet hamster.

Comment

Instead of Poison Ivy, maybe go for Norwegian Blackberries. Spread like wild fire, have thorns, and have very edible and delectible berries
                          Dear sweet lord NO!!! DO NOT deliberately plant an invasive weed species on your land. Jeez people, think a little before you suggest this stuff!

I am all for a prickly thick, tall hedge but not something that is a known pest with an eradication program!

I am also all for shooting the dog if it fails to comply with the program. I've seen the damage a dog can do and it ain't pretty.

Comment

Two ideas:

1. Pop the dog on the arse with a BB gun. We did this to a neighbor's overly "friendly" lab. No lasting damage, and the dog never came back.

2. Tell the neighbor you're selling Amway, and wouldn't she like to buy some?

Comment

Here's something that will work every time on the doggie's behind. I gar-on-tee it:
                              1) get yourself a 12 gauge shotgun
                              2) get a box of 00 buckshot and some rock salt to go with it.
                              3) take the shells and cut off about the top 1/8 inch or so off the plastic end (not off the metal end)
                              4) fill up with rock salt, put the top back on and secure with a teeny piece of tape (scotch tape even is ok if you are going to use it pretty soon otherwise use masking tape)
                              5) put in shotgun -you can only load these one at a time
                              6) prepare shotgun for firing, then sit on back porch or wherever and await doggy's visit
                              7) when doggy comes callin' pepper his arse with the rock salt and giggle your ass off while he goes wee wee wee aaallllll the way home
                              This will not cause any permanent injury but he sure will remember it.
                              And before anybody gets bent about it, I have 9 huge dogs and my property is fenced so they all stay here and don't go bothering the whole world.
                              Dogs are like kids, you might like them but please don't force yours on the rest of us, is kind of how I look at it.
                              Then you can go back to the gigglin' when you think about your neighbor with his tweezers picking rock salt out of his dog's butt cheeks.
                              This ends your Public Service Announcement from Jaegermonster.
                              "Perhaps the final test of anybody's love of dogs is their willingness to permit them to make a camping ground of the bed" -Henry T. Merwin

Comment

Originally posted by Quin
                                I agree with the hot wire, signs, and a certified letter/return receipt. I would also include in the letter that you intend to hold them liable for damages including all vet bills if by their actions, including unauthorized feeding, they cause harm to your horses.

You might want to stop by the local police department now, before there are any incidents. Explain what you have done and ask the police what the local procedures are, how best to involve them, etc; stress the potential for damage both to the dear kiddies as well as your very valuable animals (some cops will pay more attention to the issue of the kids; for others, the "valuable livestock" will trigger a response).
                                i agree wholeheartedly. you have to protect yourself and these nutjobs will be ovber there feeding the horses. i would say 2-3 strands of hotwire, so they can't crawl thru it. a letter from a lawyer should do enough to keep them away. so you alienate them. i would WANT to. they sc are me and not even my neighbors.

Comment

Originally posted by Jaegermonster
                                  Here's something that will work every time on the doggie's behind. I gar-on-tee it:
                                  3) take the shells and cut off about the top 1/8 inch or so off the plastic end (not off the metal end)
                                  4) fill up with rock salt, put the top back on and secure with a teeny piece of tape (scotch tape even is ok if you are going to use it pretty soon otherwise use masking tape)
                                  6) prepare shotgun for firing, then sit on back porch or wherever and await doggy's visit
                                  7) when doggy comes callin' pepper his arse with the rock salt and giggle your ass off while he goes wee wee wee aaallllll the way home
                                  And before anybody gets bent about it, I have 9 huge dogs and my property is fenced so they all stay here and don't go bothering the whole world.
                                  Dogs are like kids, you might like them but please don't force yours on the rest of us, is kind of how I look at it.
                                  Then you can go back to the gigglin' when you think about your neighbor with his tweezers picking rock salt out of his dog's butt cheeks.
                                  I'm LMAO over this! And does this work just as well with a pistol grip 12 gauge (short barrel, home defense)?
                                  RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
                                  5/5/84-7/12/08

Comment

Originally posted by Jaegermonster

And, see, all this time I thought I was the sole resident redneck, lol I am so so glad to have company.... (no offense intended, please don't take any)

Seriously, Jaergermonster is right. That would definitely work on a dog..just not a bull. We did that one time and the bull turned around and chased us....YIKES!!!
                                    http://community.webshots.com/album/548368465RfewoU[/url]

She may not have changed the stars from their courses, but she loved a good man, and she rode good horses….author unknown

Comment

Can I be in the redneck club, Gnalli? I'm in central GA...county of less than 10 K people in it...LOL!

BTW TropicalStorm, this is what the police told me when I wanted to verify whether or not I could shoot my neighbor's dog in plain view when it yet again comes to attack my horses, "Can you say in court that you did it to protect your horses; that you had spoken with the owners, have witnesses, detailed accounts, etc.?" "Yes" "Then shoot him!" The police officer, BTW, bred, trained, and sold German Shepards as a side biz. he does not hate dogs like I do, he just hates bad ones. And please don't bother me with the "there are no bad dogs, just bad owners", I didn't think about that when my horse was attacked by the neighbor's rottie and then I was attacked, nor will I stand for someone to throw that in my face now. Like Jaeger said, you might love your child, but rest assured that shoving it on me is unpleasant and might land his butt dead.
                                      RIP Bo, the real Appassionato
                                      5/5/84-7/12/08

Comment

My neighbor, who has since been sent to live in a "retirment" facilty, has 7 dogs. 1 male, the rest females, all un-fixed. The routinly come over to my property and use my spring as a water hole and bath tub.

And, now that they are only getting fed a few times a week, they are trying desperatly to get into my trash.

I have called animal control, spoken with the daughter and son...both in the 40's and old enough to know you cant have 7 dogs and only feed them a few times a week.

My latest concern is that they are getting "pack like". The male is the dominant one, and has one dominant female...even I can see this.

My advice for the dog, get a gun. I love animals, but, if one EVER came after me or one of my animals, its not going to get another chance to do it again.

Sure, the dog might be chasing the horse in fun, but, what happens when he bites a chunk out of your horses leg, and then gets kicked in the head?

If the owners wont do anything, and animal control wont do anything, then its up to you.
                                        Never Ride Faster Than Your Guardian Angel Can Fly
                                        Way Back Texas~04/20/90-09/17/08
                                        Green Alligator "Captain"

Comment

Yeap go up with the fence, not over. Attach to wooden posts, other pieces of wood, like 2 x4 and go up put your electric CLOSE together, like every 4 to 6 inches and make the sucker hot, damn hot, run two charges or a pig charger(those babies have kick) will keep the dogs and the kids out and the horses safe inside. (trust me on this one)

Or get a lama..they hate strangers. At least if you run the fence up high, they can't just toss food over it. And it will get old after awhile.
                                          Leslie Dobson
                                          Jump The Moon Sporthorses

Comment

Working...
                                          X