• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Pacific NW 5/18 NEW horses on lot, all shapes, sizes, colors TRUCK COMING 5/18!

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

WHAT!?!?! Why in the hell does the owner want Julia sent to slaughter!?!?!
    Will get a dream horse!
    More riding, swimming, and rowing, less posting

Comment

I do not see Julia on the list - I need to see her to better understand why the owner want her to become meat.
      Will get a dream horse!

Comment

She might have a dangerous problem like flipping over for no reason or something else that isn't apparent.

Comment

I can't get the site to open for me, is any one else having trouble?

Comment

Divot

Is anyone else was having trouble registering for the message boards at the CBER site? I would very much like to donate to the group adoption effort for the horse, Divot, but am unable to post to the board to do so.

If anyone here can connect me directly with the "banker" for this horse's group adoption effort, my email is martino17 at verizon.net

Thank you.

Comment

Poor Julia- you may be able to see her for a bit at this link but maybe they will have to remove her pictures?
              http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1147027281

Tux I really hope someone can help. I'm a lurker but not registered on the boards or I'd ask for advice.
              In the swiftness of my darkness I whisper to thunder, I am patient as stone, as wild as lightening, the very symbol of surging potency and the power of movement for I am THE SPIRIT OF THE HORSE

Comment

Jewl and Dynasty homed I see- so some good news, still a lot looking...
                In the swiftness of my darkness I whisper to thunder, I am patient as stone, as wild as lightening, the very symbol of surging potency and the power of movement for I am THE SPIRIT OF THE HORSE

Comment

How sad for Julia, I wonder if those people actually are aware of what a horse goes through prior to becoming someone else's meal?
                  But, there are still many horses how need caring people to adopt them on the feedlot right now! Can someone please take a look and possibly help them out? The truck is possibly coming on Thursday, the day after tomorrow folks...

Comment

• Original Poster

MOre more more new horses...

Unbelievable as it sounds there are many people who want their horses sent to slaughter and not adopted out (or sold). I can only imagine these people are ignorant of the process or just plain evil and selfish.

Julia had an enlarged leg from an old injury but rode sound on it (it just looked unsightly) and was otherwise seemingly a decent riding sort. She was a pretty red dun.
                    Every mighty oak was once a nut that stood its ground.

Proud Closet Canterer! Member Riders with Fibromyalgia clique.

Comment

Is CBER becoming a magnet place for people wanting to dump horses where they know that we'd come out to rescue them? Just wondering. It hurts so much to see those horses in the feedlot!
                      Will get a dream horse!

Comment

So many in need of help . . .

Just bumping this up since there are many group adoptions efforts underway. . .check out the CBER Message boards, http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...x.cgi?board=ad this has pages for each of the horses needing help to get off the feedlot.

Remember, just a little $ from a lot of people makes all the difference!

Comment

Divot still needs $540 to bail him (as of May 9 @ 9:04 PM eastern). He does not have a banker yet, but he does have an offer of board and training.
                          Pam
                          "The captive bolt is not a proper tool for slaughter of equids they regain consciousness 30 seconds after being struck fully aware they are being vivisected." Dr Friedlander DVM & frmr Chief USDA Insp

Comment

Originally posted by Eileen M
                            Matisse will be coming home with in the next few months...she is at a super farm in Washington right now, in quarantine for the next 3 weeks or so, then will be boarded at the same farm until I secure her ride. I can tell you that the more horses that come east, the cheaper the shipping.

Interim board is very reasonable !!

Don't be afraid to look !!!
                            I'm very interested in Shadow and you're right, that pasture board is definitely swingable. What are you looking at for transport fees if you don't mind me asking. On a different thread, the $1300-1400 range was mentioned. If we can hammer that price down a bit, this may be workable. I'd be transporting to upstate NY, but could meet at a common pick up point and trailer her the rest of the way home.

I just can't commit unless I know for a fact I can swing it all.
                            **Member of the Modified Riders Clique and the "End TWH Big Lick Abuse" Clique**

Comment

Originally posted by catknsn
                              Pony hunter people - LOOK AT RITA!

Quiet, 14.0 hh liver chestnut with unusual-shaped facial white. They have video posted of her being ridden.

http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1146791421
                              Quoting myself here...but I wanted to add that if someone in California adopts Rita, I have offered free training and so has somone in the central part of the state who is very good with babies. So paying her board/care only will also get you full training on her, if you are in one of those areas and have a daughter wishing for a large pony.

Can you tell I like this little mare?

Comment

http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...7064003&page=1

There's still a piccie of Julia here. You may be able to make out a thickened area at the front of one of her hindlegs- far side from camera.

Lonewolf, are you registered on the forums for CBER? If you are willing to talk over options, people may chip in all sorts to help you get her out of that place. I would go there and enter her thread to see what you and the others can work out.
                                Shadow has a thread here, http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1146792961
                                and I think there's one in the team adoption section too. Obviously there's liasing with the official folks! Don't be shy, people just want her safe.

Comment

SAVE TWO FOR THE PRICE OF ONE HORSES....

I would love to get my hands on the people who dumped these PREGNANT MARES here.

http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1147210019 -Bianca, she's HUGE

http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1147210066 - Veronica, Roan

http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1147210142 -Golddust, Palomino paint

And one possibly pregnant
                                  http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1147209662

I can't believe they've been ditched here at this time.

Appaloosa gelding here, very handsome
                                  http://cberheadqrters.proboards103.c...ead=1147209607

The expected truck is on my birthday.. I hope I don't see that they've lost some, but there's so many, and they just keep coming, how can they not?

Comment

Illegal to ship mares close to foaling to slaughter

In 1996, Congress passed the Safe Commercial Transport of Horses to Slaughter Act. "This gave the USDA authority to develop and implement regulations as funding became available," Dr. Reece said. A federal regulation has now been proposed, possibly to be adopted in spring 2000.

The regulation will address accountability from the point of purchase to the point of slaughter;
                                    inspection on arrival at the slaughter plant;
                                    ability to investigate, charge, and prosecute violators;
                                    a five-year phase-out of double-deck trailers (originally designed to haul cattle);
                                    segregation of stallions and aggressive horses;
                                    and a ban on shipping mares that are close to foaling.

http://www.avma.org/onlnews/javma/feb00/s020100a.asp
                                    Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

It seems like there are a lot of great horses there. I'd love to help but.... that's a LONG way to ship a horse, sight unseen. ANd most of my donation money goes to local rescue groups, since there's so little funding for them in rural areas like this.

Comment

Hi Angela Freda, obviously I'm from overseas so not really up to speed with your slaughter regs over there- does this mean it's illegal to ship these mares NOW, or that it will be soon? Could the feedlot owner get around that by just holding them until they give birth and shipping off mum and baby?

Comment

Declaring,
                                          This is a regulation, among others that largely goes ignored.
                                          Horses that are lame (ie can not stand on all 4 legs) and those that are blind are also illegal to ship to slaughter, as well as those under 6 months of age.

Unfortunately the lawmakers here have left the regulations open to interpretation, and the final decision of when a mare is due to foal is left to the very person desiring to ship her to slaughter (as are the other items- lameness, age and blindness), the owner/lot owner.

The dealer of these horses (he is not licensed by the state of WA or nationally to ship horses to slaughter, only to buy/sell) could wait 'til she foals and take her away from the foal, or ship her now stating that she is far enough from foaling to make the trip. The danger then lies in the idea that the stress of shipping in a cramped truck with other horses, or milling around a cramped pen at the actual feedlot could cause her to foal, putting the foal at risk

I question why this dealer is allowed, by those witnessing the horses on the lot, to send/threaten to send those that are indeed illegal to ship. Seems to me they could/should have some leverage (ie Animal Control, etc and the threat of turning him in for shipping illegally) to convince him to wait on these horses and give them more of a chance to be "adopted".
                                          The last bit is JMHO btw.
                                          Yo/Yousolong April 23rd, 1985- April 15th, 2014

http://notesfromadogwalker.com/2012/...m-a-sanctuary/

Comment

Working...
                                          X