• Welcome to the Chronicle Forums.
    Please complete your profile. The forums and the rest of www.chronofhorse.com has single sign-in, so your log in information for one will automatically work for the other. Disclaimer: The opinions expressed here are the views of the individual and do not necessarily reflect the views and opinions of The Chronicle of the Horse.

Announcement

Collapse

Forum rules and no-advertising policy

As a participant on this forum, it is your responsibility to know and follow our rules. Please read this message in its entirety.

Board Rules

1. You’re responsible for what you say.
As outlined in Section 230 of the Communications Decency Act, The Chronicle of the Horse and its affiliates, as well Jelsoft Enterprises Ltd., the developers of vBulletin, are not legally responsible for statements made in the forums.

This is a public forum viewed by a wide spectrum of people, so please be mindful of what you say and who might be reading it—details of personal disputes are likely better handled privately. While posters are legally responsible for their statements, the moderators may in their discretion remove or edit posts that violate these rules. Users have the ability to modify or delete their own messages after posting, but administrators generally will not delete posts, threads or accounts upon request.

Outright inflammatory, vulgar, harassing, malicious or otherwise inappropriate statements and criminal charges unsubstantiated by a reputable news source or legal documentation will not be tolerated and will be dealt with at the discretion of the moderators.

2. Conversations in horse-related forums should be horse-related.
The forums are a wonderful source of information and support for members of the horse community. While it’s understandably tempting to share information or search for input on other topics upon which members might have a similar level of knowledge, members must maintain the focus on horses.

3. Keep conversations productive, on topic and civil.
Discussion and disagreement are inevitable and encouraged; personal insults, diatribes and sniping comments are unproductive and unacceptable. Whether a subject is light-hearted or serious, keep posts focused on the current topic and of general interest to other participants of that thread. Utilize the private message feature or personal email where appropriate to address side topics or personal issues not related to the topic at large.

4. No advertising in the discussion forums.
Posts in the discussion forums directly or indirectly advertising horses, jobs, items or services for sale or wanted will be removed at the discretion of the moderators. Use of the private messaging feature or email addresses obtained through users’ profiles for unsolicited advertising is not permitted.

Company representatives may participate in discussions and answer questions about their products or services, or suggest their products on recent threads if they fulfill the criteria of a query. False "testimonials" provided by company affiliates posing as general consumers are not appropriate, and self-promotion of sales, ad campaigns, etc. through the discussion forums is not allowed.

Paid advertising is available on our classifieds site and through the purchase of banner ads. The tightly monitored Giveaways forum permits free listings of genuinely free horses and items available or wanted (on a limited basis). Items offered for trade are not allowed.

Advertising Policy Specifics
When in doubt of whether something you want to post constitutes advertising, please contact a moderator privately in advance for further clarification. Refer to the following points for general guidelines:

Horses – Only general discussion about the buying, leasing, selling and pricing of horses is permitted. If the post contains, or links to, the type of specific information typically found in a sales or wanted ad, and it’s related to a horse for sale, regardless of who’s selling it, it doesn’t belong in the discussion forums.

Stallions – Board members may ask for suggestions on breeding stallion recommendations. Stallion owners may reply to such queries by suggesting their own stallions, only if their horse fits the specific criteria of the original poster. Excessive promotion of a stallion by its owner or related parties is not permitted and will be addressed at the discretion of the moderators.

Services – Members may use the forums to ask for general recommendations of trainers, barns, shippers, farriers, etc., and other members may answer those requests by suggesting themselves or their company, if their services fulfill the specific criteria of the original post. Members may not solicit other members for business if it is not in response to a direct, genuine query.

Products – While members may ask for general opinions and suggestions on equipment, trailers, trucks, etc., they may not list the specific attributes for which they are in the market, as such posts serve as wanted ads.

Event Announcements – Members may post one notification of an upcoming event that may be of interest to fellow members, if the original poster does not benefit financially from the event. Such threads may not be “bumped” excessively. Premium members may post their own notices in the Event Announcements forum.

Charities/Rescues – Announcements for charitable or fundraising events can only be made for 501(c)(3) tax-exempt organizations. Special exceptions may be made, at the moderators’ discretion and direction, for board-related events or fundraising activities in extraordinary circumstances.

Occasional posts regarding horses available for adoption through IRS-registered horse rescue or placement programs are permitted in the appropriate forums, but these threads may be limited at the discretion of the moderators. Individuals may not advertise or make announcements for horses in need of rescue, placement or adoption unless the horse is available through a recognized rescue or placement agency or government-run entity or the thread fits the criteria for and is located in the Giveaways forum.

5. Do not post copyrighted photographs unless you have purchased that photo and have permission to do so.

6. Respect other members.
As members are often passionate about their beliefs and intentions can easily be misinterpreted in this type of environment, try to explore or resolve the inevitable disagreements that arise in the course of threads calmly and rationally.

If you see a post that you feel violates the rules of the board, please click the “alert” button (exclamation point inside of a triangle) in the bottom left corner of the post, which will alert ONLY the moderators to the post in question. They will then take whatever action, or no action, as deemed appropriate for the situation at their discretion. Do not air grievances regarding other posters or the moderators in the discussion forums.

Please be advised that adding another user to your “Ignore” list via your User Control Panel can be a useful tactic, which blocks posts and private messages by members whose commentary you’d rather avoid reading.

7. We have the right to reproduce statements made in the forums.
The Chronicle of the Horse may copy, quote, link to or otherwise reproduce posts, or portions of posts, in print or online for advertising or editorial purposes, if attributed to their original authors, and by posting in this forum, you hereby grant to The Chronicle of the Horse a perpetual, non-exclusive license under copyright and other rights, to do so.

8. We reserve the right to enforce and amend the rules.
The moderators may delete, edit, move or close any post or thread at any time, or refrain from doing any of the foregoing, in their discretion, and may suspend or revoke a user’s membership privileges at any time to maintain adherence to the rules and the general spirit of the forum. These rules may be amended at any time to address the current needs of the board.

Please see our full Terms of Service and Privacy Policy for more information.

Thanks for being a part of the COTH forums!

(Revised 1/26/16)
See more
See less

Predator bugs for fly control

Collapse
X
  • Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Predator bugs for fly control

This is quite an informative article about controlling flies. We started using predator bugs at our barn last year and they did seem to help. Does anyone else use them?

http://www.barnmice.com/profiles/blo...lies-in-equine

We used them this year, I think we have more flies this year than before I will not waste my money again!! BUYER BEWARE!!!
    Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

I totally disagree.

There have been at least two other threads on here recently on the same topic.

I have used fly predators for six years now and wouldn't go back. It gets better and better each year. However, this year has been quite wet and that must kill off the tiny little creatures.

I have two neighbors down the street who also have horses and don't use fly predators. A girl who spends time at one came to my house for a horse-sitting job and noticed the lack of flies immediately. She was going to tell my neighbor about fly predators.

None of my other suburban neighbors have ever complained about flies.
      Laurie Higgins
      www.coreconnexxions.com

Comment

I have a question about these things. What if you have cattle farms in the surrounding areas who don't use these? I can't see how it will help all that much when we are surrounded by cattle farms. Any thoughts? I have not tried them.
        Don't breed- Adopt your steed!
        Mountain View Rescue

Comment

I also have a dairy farm about a mile away as the crows (and the flies) fly. Supposedly, the fly predators are less effective if you live within one mile of a facility that doesn't use them. But I went ahead and tried them. I won't go back. The two other horse properties near me are less than 1/4 mi. away and they don't use them. They have 8 and 6 horses, respectively. The dairy farm might have 100 cows; I'm not sure.
          Laurie Higgins
          www.coreconnexxions.com

Comment

Maybe it is the rain, but I started using them this year and feel like I might as well go drop dollar bills around my pasture every month for all the good they seem to be doing. The flies are terrible!

Comment

I use the Arbico ones. I think it has been at least 4 years now. I used to buy the batches for 1-5 horses (I have 5 on my property now). This year I'm using the 6-10 horse batch(may try filling that 6th stall!) and I've barely noticed many flies. I'm not sure if it's because it's been a cooler spring so far or the larger amount of predators, but I've been quite pleased.
              I'm also finally following the directions correctly this year, so maybe that has something to do with it, too!
              http://thepitchforkchronicles.com

Comment

Originally posted by FoxChaser View Post
                Maybe it is the rain, but I started using them this year and feel like I might as well go drop dollar bills around my pasture every month for all the good they seem to be doing. The flies are terrible!

I'm in GA. we've had rain but not that much. I don't understand why they are not working for us. I feel the same way, like I'm throwing dollar bills in my pasture. Just put out a new batch this A.M. I'm still having to put up fly strips (which are full by the end of the day and fly spray twice to three times a day). I'm surronded by subdivisions. I don't know, just my luck I guess.
                Horses aren't our whole life, but makes our life whole

Comment

Back at home (I am in college no in Indiana) in the PNW one of the places I worked at used the predators religiously every year and I LOVED cleaning stalls there because there were no flies! Mind you that was the PNW so it rained often and never affected the predators.

This year I encourage my barn out here to use the fly predators this year because the flys were terrible last year. They did and we have noticed a HUGE improvement. It is true that often you don't see good results until the second year. I have also heard that people have had trouble with the fly predators that are not from Spalding labs. I don't know because I've never been at a place where they used any other brands.

If your predators aren't working and this is your first year and you could afford to do them again I would highly recommend trying them again and just see if they work better.
                  "Be the change you want to see in the world."
                  ~Mahatma Gandhi

Comment

Use them and love them.

I have used them for about 7 years now. 2 years in MI before I moved and 5 years down here. In order for them to work properly you have to follow the instructions and start prior to the fly season. In MI I got my first order (which is always a double batch) in late April/early May and them subsiquent monthly orders throughout the summer. Here I start in March with the double order and go though November. If you don't get a head start they can catch up some but you will see more flies. You also have to be careful about using fly spray's on the animals. You can still use it but should not spray it on them in an area where the predators were resleased. They need to be released around dusk (so they can find a hiding spot that is cooler before the sun balzes down) and you can't release them as the storm clouds are rolling in. Also, find the freshest piles to release them onto. I usually walk aroung, find freshest piles, open pile up with foot and sprinkle, then move on to the next pile.

Comment

I just started them two months ago in Mississippi. Have 5 horse, so bought the Arbico ones (cheaper, include shipping) for 6-10. I've noticed a dramatic decrease in flies already, but it might be the placebo effect.
                      "I'm a lumberjack, and I'm okay."
                      Thread killer Extraordinaire

Comment

Another unhappy camper here. We started them recently (we are on our third shipment). At first I thought there was a reduction in fly population after the second shipment. But now, it seems that the barn is swarming with them. We did have a guest in last weekend who asked why there were no flies in our fields when compared to other farms. I thought "????". She is right, the fields seem to have much fewer flies. Right now, I am thinking of putting the spray system back on in the barn as I can't stand it. We use the ones from Spalding Labs. I am going to give it another month but then it's back to chemical warfare!
                        Ridge Farm Inc.-full care retirement
                        http://www.horseretirementfarm.com

Comment

I just put some out 2 weeks ago. I've never really had a fly problem until last year. Last year and this spring were bad. I have seen a big decrease in the barn. Two weeks ago I might have seen 10 or more flies bugging each horse, now maybe one or two.

Out in the fields I'm not seeing a lot of flies but more the biting nasty gnat things. Anyone got a suggestion on what will kill / eat those buggers?
                          Stoneybrook Farm Afton TN

Comment

This is our first year using the ones from Spalding Labs. We still have flies but not like we've had in the past. I don't know why it's taken use so long to try these.
                            "Looked bigger when I couldn't see him."~ Jayne Cobb

Comment

I Love Predator Flies

I've used Spaulding Labs for years and I'm happy. My barn will be 100% fly free, but 95% is fine with me. This year has been a bit more challenging with all the wet weather. I think it works in the flies' favor, but predators definitely help. I can't imagine doing without them.
                              Where Fjeral Norwegian Fjords Rule
                              http://www.ironwood-farm.com

Comment

We're using Spalding fly predators and have been since March. I usually put them out in the morning though... wonder if that makes a difference? Maybe I'll try using them in the evening next month.

Comment

We have been using them for years where I ride and they seem to help a lot. One of the farriers claims we are the best barn in the area as far as the fly population. We have one dedicated boarder who is in charge of them and she is scrupulous about adding them to the paddocks, and all other areas. I think she is a big part of the success of the program.

Comment

The directions do say to put on fresh manure wherever you find it.

With that in mind, I've often left a plop or two in/around the barn area and put fly preds there to help with the flies in the barn. I've also hung fly strips to help.

But if the only thing I do is scatter the preds over the manure pile, how much good does that do? I really need to put some out in the field too.
                                    Laurie Higgins
                                    www.coreconnexxions.com

Comment

They work much better if you start way before it gets hot, and with way more than you think you need
                                      "You can't really debate with someone who has a prescient invisible friend"
                                      carolprudm

Comment

Originally posted by MVR View Post
                                        I have a question about these things. What if you have cattle farms in the surrounding areas who don't use these? I can't see how it will help all that much when we are surrounded by cattle farms. Any thoughts? I have not tried them.
                                        I have cattle next door, and they don't use them. I was starting to think that I was wasting my money until I visited another neighbor who doesn't use them. My place is much, much better. I'll keep using them.
                                        If you are allergic to a thing, it is best not to put that thing in your mouth, particularly if the thing is cats. - Lemony Snicket

Comment

Working...
                                        X